Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I hate Pewdiepie and everyone who subscribes to him

so far he's infinitely better than the people shilling apps of the show

i still don't get LPers though.

edit: also did Colbert do a Moment of Zen at the end?

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Was Colbert worth catching last night? Football hosed up my recording.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

IRQ posted:

Was Colbert worth catching last night? Football hosed up my recording.

It's worth watching and then turning off after Kerry.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

It's worth watching and then turning off after Kerry.

Nah, turning off after the Claire Danes interview. Colbert really got into that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't find him entertaining, but don't get the vitriol that people have for Pewdiepie.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dexo posted:

I don't find him entertaining, but don't get the vitriol that people have for Pewdiepie.

He made a shitload of money and people are jealous because they aren't members of the demographic that likes him, and they also mistakenly think that what he does is easy and anyone could do it.

I don't like what he does, but I can respect cashing in on kids liking his gimmick.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 2, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Dexo posted:

I was exaggerating my hate. Really it's just something where I have zero clue what the appeal is. Like I can at least understand why people want to watch a lovely comedian or listen to music I don't like or whatever but I literally cannot comprehend the appeal of watching a Pewdiepie video. It is completely foreign to me.

I think this means I'm old.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

I was exaggerating my hate. Really it's just something where I have zero clue what the appeal is. Like I can at least understand why people want to watch a lovely comedian or listen to music I don't like or whatever but I literally cannot comprehend the appeal of watching a Pewdiepie video. It is completely foreign to me.

I think this means I'm old.

It's not that hard, they think he's funny, he vocalizes the idle and dumb thoughts that many have while playing games. Plus to preteen and teenaged girls he is probably reaaaaal attractive.

Mostly you are just old(I'm getting there), So I get it but I can't talk, as a kid i legit liked trash like Rocket Power.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

god im old

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Seductive Beaver Mascot

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Did not need to see Stephen's O face.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
oh god why didn't i change the channel? :(

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

Did not need to see Stephen's O face.

I did.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I spotted 2 3 more mini-Stephens in the tilt shift intro I hadn't noticed before.
Either they added them recently or I wasn't looking close enough.

(Central Station, center right, Time Square shot also center right, rooftop party, running down the stairs).

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 3, 2015

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Late night talk show crowds are obnoxious.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mcbexx posted:

I spotted 2 3 more mini-Stephens in the tilt shift intro I hadn't noticed before.
Either they added them recently or I wasn't looking close enough.

(Central Station, center right, Time Square shot also center right, rooftop party, running down the stairs).

The one on the roof was real. They had a roof party to setup that shot. I think the NY Times talked about it on a preview article.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
I'm still not convinced there's much of a game to No Man's Sky, but the demoing sure made me want to play it

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

knob posted:

I'm still not convinced there's much of a game to No Man's Sky, but the demoing sure made me want to play it

Everything about No Man's Sky, from the hype and buzz right down to the extended development time and nebulous release date, and especially what we've seen of the actual gameplay reminds me of Spore.

That's not a good thing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Having not following the hype, the impression I get from the demo on the show is that the game will be pretty to look at, and serve a nice conversation topic.

I get the impression anyone really playing it will get bored pretty quickly. It's not unlike getting bored exploring the city in a sandbox game once you run out of quests. Underneath all the pretty algorithms there's bland skeleton.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Echo Chamber posted:

Having not following the hype, the impression I get from the demo on the show is that the game will be pretty to look at, and serve a nice conversation topic.

I get the impression anyone really playing it will get bored pretty quickly. It's not unlike getting bored exploring the city in a sandbox game once you run out of quests. Underneath all the pretty algorithms there's bland skeleton.

The boredom of exploring games like GTAV and other open world games comes from running out of things to discover. I played the heck out of Far Cry 4, exploring practically every square inch of the place. But I got bored eventually because there was nothing new to explore. NMS is giving us a human lifetimes worth of content to explore, where you can always find something new that no one else ever has or will discover. The content will never run out, the boredom will come from being tired of the game mechanics.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Just watched the show finally.

So if everything is generated as you explore it, you can name it and what-not, but if nothing is saved anywhere, how can you go back to it and still have it be named?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

There will be a database to save that stuff.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Essentially everything is stored as seed numbers. If you set up an algorithm to generate everything. When you toss a number to that algorithm it will dump the same render out every single time that number is passed to it.

Dumbing it down you essentially store a name with a seed number.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Late to the party but poo poo that Tom Hanks skit was funny as gently caress

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Steve Vader posted:

Just watched the show finally.

So if everything is generated as you explore it, you can name it and what-not, but if nothing is saved anywhere, how can you go back to it and still have it be named?

I figure what he meant was either the seed thing or the number they quoted is what they've figured as the maximum potential number of worlds that they can create with the variables available and they save what's actually been found.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Haha my local affiliate has a split screen of Colbert and a construction crew removing a Ten Commandments monument from the state capital.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
John McCain is on to sponsor his project, "Blowing Up Brown People".

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
I know it's a little thing to be bothered by, but it seems like a lot of Colbert's guests get up and start to leave before they even get to commercial, especially the politicians. Would it kill them to wait literally 5 more seconds so it doesn't look like they just want to get the hell out of there?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Better Know a Stephen

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I don't recall seeing a single dance performance in lieu of the musical act when I watched Letterman, but we've had two in the first three weeks of Colbert. I like it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

This is the classiest late night show

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This is the classiest late night show

And the only one with competitions to see who can make the best orgasm face without hitting the censors.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Jax-Guy1 posted:

I know it's a little thing to be bothered by, but it seems like a lot of Colbert's guests get up and start to leave before they even get to commercial, especially the politicians. Would it kill them to wait literally 5 more seconds so it doesn't look like they just want to get the hell out of there?

It's mostly the politicians doing it, because they have 30 other stops to do before sitting at the phones for another 4 hours that night

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

It's mostly the politicians doing it, because they have 30 other stops to do before sitting at the phones for another 4 hours that night

Man, if I were a politician I'd hire a voicealike.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Youth Decay posted:

I don't recall seeing a single dance performance in lieu of the musical act when I watched Letterman, but we've had two in the first three weeks of Colbert. I like it.

I guess that depends on whether or not we count Dave's "Is This Anything?" segments. The girls with the power tools were kinda dancing I guess.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Delsaber posted:

I guess that depends on whether or not we count Dave's "Is This Anything?" segments. The girls with the power tools were kinda dancing I guess.

Man I miss the girl with the grinder.

Will it float was so stupid.

In a good way.

edit: The best part of the Will it Float routine was the "Will it Float board game"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wow, that was a really nice version of "The Swan", never thought it would work so well with that kind of jazzy backing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Yo Yo Ma was wonderful

really looking forward to Clinton tonight

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man that whole birthday cake bit really was classy as gently caress. Stephen just seems like the nicest guy :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I think they were also celebrating the new Public Domainery of Happy Birthday.