Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey everybody. Welcome to my brainchild of an idea of a fun activity to keep the Amazingness that is the 4th rendition of the Chase for the Sprint Cup interesting. It's CBJ's Super Mega Awesome Chase For The March Madness Game 7 Sprint Cup Pick 'Em 2.0!

It’s a pick ‘em game and it’s simple. I said that last year, but don’t let that deter you. There will be four groups of drivers sorted based upon their initial seeding in the Chase, drivers 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, and 13-16. You pick the driver you think will do the best/advance the farthest in this bullshit March Madness ripoff of a playoff system. Please note that it is entirely possible for a Group 4 driver to advance to the final round, as Ryan Newman came from like 15th to be a Kevin Harvick blown tire/engine failure on the last lap from a title last year.

The groups are as follows:
Group 1: Jimmie Johnson, Busch of the Kyle variety, Matt Kenseth, Joey Logano
Group 2: Kevin Harvick, Dale Earnhardt, Jr, Kurt the Busch, Carl Edwards
Group 3: Brad Keselowski, Martin Truex, Jr., Denny Hamlin, Jamie McMurray
Group 4: Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, Paul Menard, Clint Bowyer

Now, for those who might have forgotten, there was a v1.0 of this game last season. In theory, the concept was simple: a descending point scale where the champ gets 16 points and the last place driver gets 1. If you have three or all four drivers who advance to the final round you’ll, by definition, score the most points.

I thought it was foolproof. I was proud of myself.

But the game worked as well as most of Brian France’s ideas. Math has treated me like poo poo since 5th grade and, in spite of a Master’s Degree, it was again a fickle mistress. Kidc had three of his four drivers make it to Game 7 The Super Bowl the Championship Round, but the guys whose drivers went out in the third round wound up with more points. Don’t ask me how the gently caress it happened. When you think about it, the best driver doesn't always win the championship in NASCAR either, but it still blows my mind nearly a year later. :negative:

So, we’re going to do it differently. :siren: Actual scoring is TBD (Somebody give me ideas) :siren: The only provision which survives from last year’s game is Brock Beard’s LASTCHASE Challenge*: Pick the driver who finishes last and you get two bonus points. The driver who finishes 15th in the standings earns you one point.

Get it on: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10fLqYS6YPOac-k9scDGlwyrSWjkROiIA9akAxCAeLh8/viewform?usp=send_form

*LASTCAR endorsement not official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This was tough to pick, none of the last group feel like sneaky winners to me. Last year I was super confident in Newman but not this time around.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Everyone is picking the same drivers.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Let's see how horrible I do at this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Compare your picks with others: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10fLqYS6YPOac-k9scDGlwyrSWjkROiIA9akAxCAeLh8/viewanalytics

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

I voted Gordon in the lastcar bonus if that wasn't obvious.

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004
Signed up.

Kenseth is going to win this year...hate me now if you didn't already.

edit: when to the analytics update? Not immediately apparently.

SPiTZ fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 15, 2015

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I also signed up and also have Kenseth going all the way. The area where I diverged significantly from people was taking Kurt Busch over Harvick.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

About 30 minutes left to get in on the action.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Round 1, Week 2 Update: Everyone not named AxeBreaker, Peanut, Slickdrac, and SpitzTheGreat is in deep poo poo, as those were the only four to not pick Kevin Harvick.

e- SpitzTheGreat has two of his four drivers (Kenseth, Hamlin) through to the next round.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 28, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch did not die, and their living means I don't have to do much math this week!

:siren: LASTCHASE :siren:
Clint Bowyer earns you two bonus points if you picked him to finish last. Menard earns you one point.

-Jimmie, McMurray (who nobody picked), and Bowyer earn you one point if you picked them to win their group. Menard earns you two points.
-No one from Group 2 is eliminated and, thus, 1-4 points are up for grabs for all of those drivers.

Points: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W6yMJomj36UrnX0oPs_F81fmCqzNXTFt8Ll_nPZQ4mk/edit#gid=958666825

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch did not die, and their living means I don't have to do much math this week!

:siren: LASTCHASE :siren:
Clint Bowyer earns you two bonus points if you picked him to finish last. Menard earns you one point.

-Jimmie, McMurray (who nobody picked), and Bowyer earn you one point if you picked them to win their group. Menard earns you two points.
-No one from Group 2 is eliminated and, thus, 1-4 points are up for grabs for all of those drivers.

Points: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W6yMJomj36UrnX0oPs_F81fmCqzNXTFt8Ll_nPZQ4mk/edit#gid=958666825

Access Denied

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Round 1, Week 2 Update: Everyone not named AxeBreaker, Peanut, Slickdrac, and SpitzTheGreat is in deep poo poo, as those were the only four to not pick Kevin Harvick.

e- SpitzTheGreat has two of his four drivers (Kenseth, Hamlin) through to the next round.

God damnit, now I'm really upset that Harvick made it. I had all of you beat!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

2- Me (Picked 15 for the LASTCHASE Bonus), SpitzTheGreat (15 Bonus), Daslog (15 Bonus), elmono311 (Jimmie+Picked 27 bonus), Wafflz (Bowyer+27 bonus)
0- Peanut, Quantrill, SPiTz

Maximum score at the end of the game is 18 (4 points in each of 4 groups + 2 point bonus).

Everybody else has one point from the combination of either picking Jimmie or Bowyer and having them eliminated or picking Menard to finish last and getting a point for him winding up second-to-last.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Slickdrac posted:

Access Denied

Same here, I request access yesterday

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

2- Me (Picked 15 for the LASTCHASE Bonus), SpitzTheGreat (15 Bonus), Daslog (15 Bonus), elmono311 (Jimmie+Picked 27 bonus), Wafflz (Bowyer+27 bonus)
0- Peanut, Quantrill, SPiTz

Maximum score at the end of the game is 18 (4 points in each of 4 groups + 2 point bonus).

Everybody else has one point from the combination of either picking Jimmie or Bowyer and having them eliminated or picking Menard to finish last and getting a point for him winding up second-to-last.

Jeff Gordon is last place in my heart, please fix the scores to respect this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Jeff Gordon is last place in my heart, please fix the scores to respect this.

For this humble request, I award those who picked Jeff Gordon to finish last zero (0) LASTCHASE Bonus points. May these points help you in your quest to win my dumb game.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Making up the rules as you go, can't get more nascar then that!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Talladega:

Out of this round, Ryan Newman is worth 3 points, Matt Kenseth and Denny Hamlin are both worth 2 points, Junyer 1 thanks to their eliminations. There's another point value which has been firmed up, as Jeff Gordon locks up 4 points for being the highest driver left in Group 4:

SpitzTheGreat leads with 9 points, having Kenseth, Hamlin, and Newman eliminated and earning the LASTCAR bonus of two points for picking Bowyer. He'll max out with 13 points, though, and only if Kurt wins Group 2. On the other hand, mischief's only point to this...point is 1 point from Clint Bowyer, but he still has 18/4/2 still in it to win it.

Standings:
SpitzTheGreat- 9.
daslog and regular Spitz- 8.
Slickdrac- 7.
elmono311, me, Quantrill- 6.
Anotherblownsave, Muddy Burphy, Elephanthead, Axebreaker, Nit Wit Dog poo poo- 5
PP14, Seventimessix, Sportsgenius86, Peanut- 4
Kidc- 3
Wafflz- 2
mischief- 1

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

This game owns. I'll give it to you. Never thought I'd have 5 points

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Man, that's a hallow feeling to be in the lead but to have no chance of maintaining it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Alright, gang. We're headed to the :siren: CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND :siren:. Here's how the standings line up going into Homestead:

Now, in good, true-to-NASCAR fashion, I'm going to do something I forgot to mention earlier and probably should've included in the original game.

If you have a driver left (Sorry, SpitzTheGreat), pick the one you think will be champ and post in this thread by the drop of the green flag next Sunday. A correct pick earns you two points. I'm taking Kevin Harvick.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's kind of insane that both years one driver from each tier ended up in the final four.

Harvick.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

CBJSprague24 posted:

If you have a driver left

Do you mean if we have more than one driver left? Or can we pick any of the 4 if we have one left?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Harvick

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Do you mean if we have more than one driver left? Or can we pick any of the 4 if we have one left?

They have to still be in it, which means you get Gordon by default like Kidc gets Harvick.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Gordon here.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Kyle Busch

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Gordon but I can't catch the leaders no matter what cause they have the same aholes as me! I am therefore picking NASCAR to name Jimmie Johnson champ just because the feel like it for a bonus 50 points.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Harvick

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
God damnit, I feel so left out. :(

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Kevin Harvick

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rowdy all day.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SpitztheGreat posted:

God damnit, I feel so left out. :(

As CEO of NASCAR this game and in The Spirit of The Rule, I am hereby granting SpitztheGreat an exemption to pick a Chase driver because he's the only one with all four drivers out and this is for fun.

It's The Beauty of The System and may those who disagree be silenced, as this is Quintessential SASCAR...Chase...Pick 'Em.

e- I have 4, 18, and 24 left. Pick one of those three.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
I'll take the 78 and COLE PEARN.

• Locked thread