Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klyith posted:

Elite Dangerous didn't make good on their promises at all -- they had to give refunds over it (the kickstarter promised offline solo play).

I'm not overly worried about the lack of "offline solo play" as much as others so I sort of overlook that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

nopantsjack posted:

the reddit faithful are getting a little shakey
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3nn26d/sigh_escapist_are_not_backing_down_and_intend_to/?sort=old&limit=500

Interesting because I haven't seen a single post like this not get immediately downvoted into oblivion or ignored, whereas people are actually discussing it now and theres like 2-5% of people who are concerned at the allegations rather than 0.

I really hope more people try to get their money back before this whole thing implodes and cr hangs himself with his belt from his balcony.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm not overly worried about the lack of "offline solo play" as much as others so I sort of overlook that one.

They handed out refunds, not being able to offer a feature(s) is fine as long as you offer refunds to people that expected it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thatguy posted:

Can I roleplay as an iconic American figure in this game?

of course

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Szcwczuk posted:

They handed out refunds, not being able to offer a feature(s) is fine as long as you offer refunds to people that expected it.

Yeah, which I don't hold against Frontier. I still think ED came out in a good shape for being a Kickstarter game.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Wait, what drama is going on with shroud of the avatar? I don't read the e-mails, but I get weekly e-mails from the devs about updates to the game. It seems to get updated quite often and you can actually play it right now.

Its 'OK'. But something you'd play 10 minutes of and you're done with. It's not next gen Ultima.

Only reason I return to play is for the stupid hats.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man the number of people who refuse to believe that SC was in development for four years is amazing. I love the cognitive dissonance required to be on /r/starcitizen these days.

I call it internet ADHD Syndrome.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

Do you guys want to harvest a lot of tears in a real game, soon? Like, with goons who already know the game and want to teach you and want to help everyone harvest the maximal amount of tears?

Join us for Albion. The combat isn't amazing, but the community is hilariously thin skinned and we have had a lot of fun so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuzC5GKpEIc

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727351

Beta starts in November, runs through till launch.

quoting for this page

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

nopantsjack posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3nn26d/sigh_escapist_are_not_backing_down_and_intend_to/?sort=old&limit=500

Interesting because I haven't seen a single post like this not get immediately downvoted into oblivion or ignored, whereas people are actually discussing it now and theres like 2-5% of people who are concerned at the allegations rather than 0.

A few more in this vein:

quote:

What if the article is correct, even if it is only 20% correct? I know this is a fanbase of starcitizen but isn't it important to take it seriously? I'm not saying that we should, I'm literally asking why people seem to be defending the company instead of wondering if the article is correct. I'm a bit out of the loop so don't hate me for asking.

quote:

It would be an extremely bitter pill to swallow. Not because CIG did anything wrong, that would be bad yes, but to prove DS was right after trolling for so many months would drive me absolutely mad.

quote:

i really really hope its all lies. But the fact that they are not backing down does make me worried.

:getin:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
The meter on this is still a little rough, but read this while listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNjIT83Aq4

Hello desktop, my old friend
I tried to load up Star Citizen
Because I pledged at least a grand
and all I have left with in my hand
is the jpeg of my ship that in fake space
I can't lose faith
and must endure the sounds of Sandi

In restless forums I post alone
white knight Chris Roberts upon his throne
Neath' one topic about another ship sale
sold one kidney and said "What the hell?"
When some troll launched in saying we were all being scammed
And were quite damned
to hear the sounds of Sandi

And between flaming posts I saw
90 million not accounted for
People screaming that it was all a fluke
Other people put up their dukes
And still other folks covered up their ears and winced
it never quits
That awful sound, of Sandi

"Fools," said I, "We cannot know
just exactly where our money goes
Hear my offer that I might reach you
I got a sweet deal on this Khartu
For 5 grand you get my Hull C and a 300i
(Still though that I am keeping, my Idris)

And the people stopped and turned
then the brown sea went on and churned
And the situation went from bad to worse
They said they'd see me in the 'Verse
And the clean shaven employes were sad that they could never tell
or face the hell
and listen to the sounds, of Sandi

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 6, 2015

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

no_recall posted:

Its 'OK'. But something you'd play 10 minutes of and you're done with. It's not next gen Ultima.

Only reason I return to play is for the stupid hats.

Giving people a massive world and no purpose makes things stagnant. Contrary to the SC not-a-cult, immersion and reality is very boring.

Eve is great because playing the game itself generates new content for everyone.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer
I fixed it up a little:
#NotACult https://soundcloud.com/bth_radio/starcitizenboogereyes-v2

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Kinda funny how the Descent guys who broke away from CIG already have a working game up that looks pretty smooth and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gql1zCE_Gq8

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Literally Kermit posted:

The meter on this is still a little rough, but read this while listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNjIT83Aq4

Hello desktop, my old friend
I tried to load up Star Citizen
Because I pledged at least a grand
and all I have left with in my hand
is the jpeg of my ship that in fake space
I can't lose faith
and must endure the sounds of Sandi

In restless forums I post alone
white knight Chris Roberts upon his throne
Neath' one topic about another ship sale
sold one kidney and said "What the hell?"
When some troll launched in saying we were all being scammed
And were quite damned
to hear the sounds of Sandi

And between flaming posts I saw
90 million not accounted for
People screaming that it was all a fluke
Other people put up their dukes
And still other folks covered up their ears and winced
it never quits
That awful sound, of Sandi

"Fools," said I, "We cannot know
just exactly where our money goes
Hear my offer that I might reach you
I got a sweet deal on this Khartu
For 5 grand you get my Hull C and a 300i
(Still though that I am keeping, my Idris)

And the people stopped and turned
then the brown sea went on and churned
And the situation went from bad to worse
They said they'd see me in the 'Verse
And the clean shaven employes were sad that they could never tell
or face the hell
and listen to the sounds, of Sand

quoting. because its kermit. and brilliant.. so Kermilliant?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

nopantsjack posted:

I wanted to make a witty comment about cracks appearing and it not being Lesnick's butt crack, but I'm tired and I lose all my witty British sass when I'm tired.

Just imagine I said something funny, chuckle and let's move along.

As an apology for failing to be actually witty, here's a concept art jpeg of Dick Wulfe after when Star Shitizen goes tits up... Putting it behind the spoiler because of nudity... I'm only charging $500 for it, so it's a steal!

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov posted:

Because my friend hates being called a liar I demand Wulf register an account to defend his e-honor.

168 hours.

There are plenty more!

A depressed nudist who is out of work for 7+ months and sends dick picks to females online. This can only get better.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah, which I don't hold against Frontier. I still think ED came out in a good shape for being a Kickstarter game.
Yeah, I was pretty impressed with what they were able to do with the modest budget and time. (Though Frontier actually were working on prototypes and groundwork for the previous year; croberts was probably lying about everything other than making that trailer.) It's a big framework and if they're able to keep filling it in for a couple more years they might eventually have something really great.

But the question was "which game kickstarters delivered on their promises", which E:D did not do. And I heard the refund process wasn't exactly 100% smooth.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Skoll posted:

Kinda funny how the Descent guys who broke away from CIG already have a working game up that looks pretty smooth and fun.

Actually kind of regretting not backing that one.....but nothing like waiting a month for patches/half off!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

I didn't watch through all that but how is the toilet situation on that ship?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Ben Kuchera, apparently not happy that someone actually did real journalisim is trying to pull Lizzy's act with Shenmue 3

https://archive.is/oztLJ

gently caress you I'm not linking to polygon directly.

Except it's Ben and Polygon so he quotes Yu Suzuki out of context and repeats already disproven lies.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

tooterfish posted:

Guys, guys, while you were busy arguing with Octopode something happened!

Bluff: called. Your move CIG! :clint:

e: beaten.

What a lovely day

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

A few more in this vein:

:getin:

A good huge one from the Star Citizen forums that only slightly reads like someone from the North Korean middle class:

quote:

Ok, so I read an article that was linked to the GC forum supposedly about former CIG employees that had some really disturbing information within it. Now, I don't know how much of said information is true, but what bothered me was as quick as the link to the article was posted it was removed from the forums.

Now, if the article is BS then CIG should be out in front of this proving it wrong. It claims mismanagement of funds and that much of the development money is gone. Now those are major accusations that can easily be refuted by CIG, so where is the rebuttal? Is CIG in trouble with money, is the huge sum of money I poured into this game at risk?

I trust Ben, he seems honest, open and upfront to me. I give CIG the benefit of the doubt and I don't necessarily believe what these 'former employees' are saying, but I want to think that if it is a complete fallacy then CIG should have no problem getting in front of it and refuting it with real audited accounting and facts (i.e. how much money is really left, and is their a fully costed plan to complete?).

Now I am a huge fan, but also a huge contributor. If truth be told that funds have really been mismanaged and the completion of this game is threatened due to this then there will be lawsuits, and key people at CIG will be held accountable. I am the type of person who will stand behind CIG and fight with GIC tooth and nail, but please don't ever lie to me. If I find out I am being lied to by CIG, I am also the type of person who will go to the ends of the earth to ensure those responsible are held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. Even if it becomes by life work to do so.

I would like CIG to come out against these claims of mismanagement and show to us that the project is not at risk or is not threatened due to spending on non development priorities.

Ben, you are the community spokesperson, your excitement about this project is what makes me excited. I trust you to tell us that these accusations are not true and there is funding in place to complete the game as intended. Remind us that our money is being spent wisely on key priorities that are pushing the game forward. I trust you to tell us, the community, the truth. We have your back Ben, we believe in what you have to say as a true fan. If you say you are not worried and that you see the light at the end of the tunnel and you believe our money is still being well spent... I will believe you... I trust you wouldn't lie to us. You would resign before doing that....... right?

Thanks in advance Ben for getting in front of these accusations and reiterating that we are in good hands with CIG, Star Citizen marches on!!

Also that was a pretty witty dead space whale, Xarerareral

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MeLKoR posted:

I didn't watch through all that but how is the toilet situation on that ship?

poop and pee in zero G

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

Giving people a massive world and no purpose makes things stagnant. Contrary to the SC not-a-cult, immersion and reality is very boring.

Eve is great because playing the game itself generates new content for everyone.

Eve was one of the best gaming experiences I had, second only to lanparty classics like CS (pre 1.0), WC3 DotA and SC1.

Too bad I'm older now with kids, might jump back in when I retire, if Eve still exists then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

3 posted:

Oh you have no loving clue. Back in 2013 when there was even less of a game than there is now, a group of SC "players" got their guilds together to create PACT (Powers Against Common Threats, essentially space NATO) to combat pirates or more specifically goons. I created TCAP (Trade Coalition for the Allied Proletariat) as a completely fake org just to needle the PACT guys and they promptly imploded in a vortex of paranoia and fear that the evil spacecommies and spacegoons were going to give them wedgies and shove them into lockers.

It was the Goons in BWC that started the fall apart by voting to allow other goons into PACT. lol

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Notagame.jpg

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Eonwe posted:

quoting for this page

buy it for me

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

no_recall posted:

Eve was one of the best gaming experiences I had, second only to lanparty classics like CS (pre 1.0), WC3 DotA and SC1.

Too bad I'm older now with kids, might jump back in when I retire, if Eve still exists then.

Eve and Everquest are the best two MMOs I ever played. Hell I didn't even mind being blown to poo poo by suicide gankers in High Sec... WHAT A RUSH...

I may actually resub to EVE when school is out for summer.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

KakerMix posted:

poop and pee in zero G

Aren't real space toilets literally gentle vacuums that you put on your genitalia/butthole? If I'm right, the whole space toilet thing could explain both Reddit's fascination with space toilets (it's a simulated blowjob joke for the dummies in the class), and Sandi's freshly mowed lawn.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Onmi posted:

So Ben Kuchera, apparently not happy that someone actually did real journalisim is trying to pull Lizzy's act with Shenmue 3

https://archive.is/oztLJ

gently caress you I'm not linking to polygon directly.

Except it's Ben and Polygon so he quotes Yu Suzuki out of context and repeats already disproven lies.

Thirsty Dog posted:

You're being weird. Stop being weird.

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

It isn't talked about much but has anyone kept track of all the big names / positions that have walked away from this. I seem to recall mad talent either bouncing on the cult or getting let go.
Eric Peterson, Chris Olivia, Martin Galway (these 3 were original founders with no neck and croberts), Rob Irving, Travis Day, Alex Mayberry, and David Hobbins. Is this a normal turn over in the industry
for lead devs/producers

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

Ha I wondered whqt happened to that guy. Roberts is a walking disaster lol

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I was thinking, is there a way for CR to parlay star citizen into an actual full blown cult and drop all pretense of game development? It sounds like a joke but look at scientology. Hubbard was just a lovely science fiction writer and spent what i imagine decades building up a member base and his hollywood connections.

CR meanwhile has had a totally fanatical fan base basically drop onto his lap, and even has hollywood ties already. Just needs to start releasing more "lore"...

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I would like to predict that da gawd DSmart has access to at least one internal email conversation that will take this poo poo to the next level. Just a prediction before tomorrow.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zo posted:

I was thinking, is there a way for CR to parlay star citizen into an actual full blown cult and drop all pretense of game development? It sounds like a joke but look at scientology. Hubbard was just a lovely science fiction writer and spent what i imagine decades building up a member base and his hollywood connections.

CR meanwhile has had a totally fanatical fan base basically drop onto his lap, and even has hollywood ties already. Just needs to start releasing more "lore"...

Space Org, do you want to know more?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

no_recall posted:

I played heavily in two spurts- first with ISS back in 2006 and again around 2012 with Transmission Lost. After the civil war I left- tried to return and hang with goons but I didn't have the time and really compared to w-space sov warfare was lovely.

That being said I ended up touching on eve when I was talking with a friend the other day. Before I knew it, I had been telling eve war stories for about an hour, everything from my own fights to big events like Asakai and Y-2.

I realized no FPS, no RPG, no game can give the same PvP rush as eve would. If the game wasn't insanely boring between those times.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

McDowell posted:

Ha I wondered whqt happened to that guy. Roberts is a walking disaster lol

so a dude left croberts house of horrors and got descent going and has a functional gameplay demo with people and croberts is still on nothing but dreams?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man the number of people who refuse to believe that SC was in development for four years is amazing. I love the cognitive dissonance required to be on /r/starcitizen these days.

This is the most notacult.txt I've seen so far.
All that production and pre-production work before the full employee ramp-up doesn't count.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I would like to predict that da gawd DSmart has access to at least one internal email conversation that will take this poo poo to the next level. Just a prediction before tomorrow.

But I have work to do tomorrow. This cannot be allowed to happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

How is it being weird, I'm directly comparing one story to another and the major differences between them.

• Locked thread