Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Get hired by Paradox.

Reminds me, I have to play it more.
Hey, next time you need someone with some scripting, modding and/or management experience for an entry/junior-level position, and feel like it's time to do the extra work needed to hire from outside the EU and figure out work visas, I'm all open. Turns out there's a Swedish consulate just twenty minute's drive away from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

We don't do betas as PR stunts and our betas are probably much closer to the actual development than what you are used to if you've been in a beta for any other company before. But if you want to get early access for Stellaris there's a really simple solution.

Get hired by Paradox.

Reminds me, I have to play it more.

I would learn Swedish really quickly. Do you guys like C#?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Dibujante posted:

Do you guys like C#?

No we don't

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 5, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

No we don't

That's okay, I know Javascript too.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Groogy posted:

No we don't

What do you think about PASCAL and Basic?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

ArchangeI posted:

What do you think about PASCAL and Basic?

You mean the Cave Paintings you can see on museums? Ugh not that interesting, I mean I get the point that it proves some kind of cognitional ability of the painters but not that impressive.
If you want something actually interesting and that is the path of the future its either D(if the devs stopped being paranoid) or Ruby :getin:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 6, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
PASCAL seems like it'd be perfectly suited for Vicky 3's economy simulation, yall should be more open minded.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

You mean the Cave Paintings you can see on museums? Ugh not that interesting, I mean I get the point that it proves some kind of cognitional ability of the painters but not that impressive.
If you want something actually interesting and that is the path of the future its either D(if the devs stopped being paranoid) or Ruby :getin:

No, it's Haskell. The real language for professional developers.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Groogy posted:

Get hired by Paradox.
you got an astrophysicist on staff?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually, it's Java, hth.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, it's Java, hth.

Java 8 is pretty nice. I would be willing to work in Java 8 if C# 4/5 were not available.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I can sweep floors like a motherfucker.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I can write long paragraphs about gay Byzantines about Paradox game screenshots.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can post on internet forums.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I have really good references

Your mom for example

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I can shitpost on Internet forums

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I can cook every single part of the pig.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I can run this joke into the ground.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can run this joke into the ground.

And thus did no Paradox employee ever post here again.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Groogy posted:

Just try to write a game in Ruby, I double dare you

(Yes, it could be done, but you would get nothing out of using Ruby except lousy performance.)

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Have you been thinking about maybe hiring an engineer to design a new building / monument of Johan any time soon?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

While it is easy to pick on PDX forums at times, I do want to say some people are able to have fun on them :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/america-should-have-the-most-handsome-soldiers.884572/#post-20024871

Even in that very thread the weirdo neonazi types on the Paradox Forums came out to play:

quote:

Generally speaking, it is genetic homogeneity, not genetic diversity, that increases attractiveness as the former gives a higher chance of anatomical proportionality and symmetry. This can be seen thought the animal kingdom, where cross-breeds are considered uglier than pure-breeds.

quote:

I know what inbreeding is mate, and that's not what we are talking about. Actually, there has been some recent research finding that mating with a third cousin gives the highest genetic fitness.

quote:

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Pure breeds are stronger, healthier and more fit than cross breeds in any animal species. Ask any farmer or dog breeder. Too much genetic divergenc between the parents and you will not even end up with a specimen that can reproduce. There are a few exceptions to this, known as hybrid vigors, but generally, genetic diversity leads to outbreeding depression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outbreeding_depression

Give me one example of a mixed race human population that is comparatively stronger, healthier and more fit than other human populations and can attribute this fact to being mixed race.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Race mixing is Communism.

And I love it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if redness persists more than one day, consult a doctor

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

crabcakes66 posted:

Even in that very thread the weirdo neonazi types on the Paradox Forums came out to play:

Hahaha, holy moly this guy does not know a loving thing about genetics or evolution and it is amazing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

crabcakes66 posted:

Good god I just lost a lot of braincells to stupidicide.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Hahaha, holy moly this guy does not know a loving thing about genetics or evolution and it is amazing.

The dude very clearly hasn't ever looked into owning a purebred dog either.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Actually, there has been some recent research finding that mating with a third cousin gives the highest genetic fitness.
The fourth reich gonna have some really hosed up-lookin dudes leading it.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

BBJoey posted:

Perfect for taking up the mantle as villains in 24th century movie!

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

BBJoey posted:

Hey buddy, just look who'll be laughing when the bees get too confused to land on your disgusting mixed lineage face, while pollinating the poo poo out of this familiar pattern inbred pure race dude.

He'll have the last laugh when you germinate at the totally wrong time for your habitat too.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 6, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Just try to write a game in Ruby, I double dare you

(Yes, it could be done, but you would get nothing out of using Ruby except lousy performance.)

I have, it was a top down dungeon crawler/shooter with destructible environment, PLS shading and dynamic lighting/shadowing on my free time as a hobby project.

Sure you can't make Europe Universalis in it but if you are able to see past the "this is what everyone says" on the Internet it's not that much of an issue as long you are not an idiot. Every language have their quirks, the C style ones have the most, you just need to learn how to work with them. For instance an optimization I do in Ruby is to instead process data I use metaprogramming to give me O(1) to data I want.

But no you're not gonna get s job at Paradox for knowing Ruby, C#, Java, how to do poo poo post on internet, it's C++ or nothing.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 6, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

I have, it was a top down dungeon crawler/shooter with destructible environment, PLS shading and dynamic lighting/shadowing on my free time as a hobby project.

Sure you can't make Europe Universalis in it but if you are able to see past the "this is what everyone says" on the Internet it's not that much of an issue as long you are not an idiot. Every language have their quirks, the C style ones have the most, you just need to learn how to work with them. For instance an optimization I do in Ruby is to instead process data I use metaprogramming to give me O(1) to data I want.

But no you're not gonna get s job at Paradox for knowing Ruby, C#, Java, how to do poo poo post on internet, it's C++ or nothing.

But shitposts are Turing-complete!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
BTW paradox has posted a programming challenge to code a pathfinder as your one-item job application: https://paradox.kattis.com/problems/paradoxpath

I got about halfway through reading the requirements before my brain just peace'd out. I get what it's supposed to do, and I could probably design a horribly unoptimized way to actually do it, but it has to be done in a certain way and yeah no, I'm a historian not a mechanic.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
We've got a few job openings at the moment besides that one, including a QA slot:
http://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

We've got a few job openings at the moment besides that one, including a QA slot:

All of those jobs seems to require me to be in Stockholm and know about making computer games and don't seem to be about playing Stellaris and posting about it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe you could get a job as interior decorator.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Scandinavia is basically Stockholm and Iceland is part of the Nordic group, so by association I'm technically in Stockholm and should thus qualify.

No but seriously I live in loving Iceland, I smell like fish, have nothing to do in my spare time and would beta test the poo poo out of Stellaris :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The way to get the coolest Paradox jobs seems to be making tons of videos of yourself finding and exploiting bugs in Paradox games.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Alchenar posted:

All of those jobs seems to require me to be in Stockholm and know about making computer games and don't seem to be about playing Stellaris and posting about it.

Demiurge4 posted:

Scandinavia is basically Stockholm and Iceland is part of the Nordic group, so by association I'm technically in Stockholm and should thus qualify.

No but seriously I live in loving Iceland, I smell like fish, have nothing to do in my spare time and would beta test the poo poo out of Stellaris :v:

Then apply to become QA testers

Also this is now Paradox Requirement thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What was the official release date anyhow, Q1 2016 for both HoI IV and Stellaris and Victoria III ?