Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Hrathen makes me forgive Sanderson all the things he did wrong with the female character, whose name I can't even remember.

Hrathen is pretty much the only Sanderson character that I actually like. I think he's easily the best written character he's ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

IIRC you can actually figure it out pretty early on anyway even in hard copy if you're a bit astute, because Sanderson is pretty good about consistency of style and grammar between his characters. Sazed in particular speaks in a way the other characters don't often.

Yup, this is what tipped me off, not the voice the narrator chose to use.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Khizan posted:

Hrathen is pretty much the only Sanderson character that I actually like. I think he's easily the best written character he's ever done.

I'll agree with the goon hive mind in as far as he's the most character-driven character Sanderson's written. My theory is that he's kind of a self-insert, much like Sazed, who's also relatively driven by his internal world more than the plot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Awhile back there was mention that Sanderson was going to rewrite/edit Elantris to fix it up and make it more readable. Is this supposed to be that revision?
http://www.amazon.com/Elantris-Anniversary-Authors-Definitive-Edition/dp/0765381028/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 (and apparently it's only in paperback, not ebook format? Or is amazon just being weird?)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I can select the hardcover.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Awhile back there was mention that Sanderson was going to rewrite/edit Elantris to fix it up and make it more readable. Is this supposed to be that revision?
http://www.amazon.com/Elantris-Anniversary-Authors-Definitive-Edition/dp/0765381028/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 (and apparently it's only in paperback, not ebook format? Or is amazon just being weird?)
send him a tweet and ask @BrandSanderson

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Shadows of Self chapter 4 was just released yesterday on tor.Com
http://www.tor.com/2015/09/14/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-shadows-of-self-chapter-four/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh man, took me long enough but finally got round to reading Perfect State. Such a good short. :allears:

Onto emperors soul and sixth of the dusk then!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe
I read Firstborn the other day, always so disappointing when short stories end up being so short and you want more.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I read the Emperor's Soul and I want more.
Is Warbreaker set in the same world?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

No.

Emperor's Soul and Elantris are on the same world. Easy to remember because they both start with "E"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

No.

Emperor's Soul and Elantris are on the same world. Easy to remember because they both start with "E"

They're not really related, though. They take place on different continents and focus on different magic systems.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Warbreaker is good though, read it anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

You can get Warbreaker for free somewhere on Sanderson's site, and you should definitely read it if you intend to continue with Brandon's works.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

You can get Warbreaker for free somewhere on Sanderson's site, and you should definitely read it if you intend to continue with Brandon's works.

Here's the download page with every rough draft: http://brandonsanderson.com/books/warbreaker/warbreaker/warbreaker-rights-and-downloads/

And here's the book itself: http://brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-prologue/

It's got annotations, but don't bother reading those until you're done with the book.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Chapter 5 of shadows of self out. http://www.tor.com/2015/09/21/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-shadows-of-self-chapter-five/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Only about two weeks before the book comes out, and this chapter makes me even more excited for it.

Interesting that there are a lot of Terris people that live in a parallel society to the more industrial era folks of Elendel. And why do they fear those that are both allomancers and ferruchemists? If they know about the Lord Ruler, it would make sense, but I have the feeling that the general populace doesn't know too much about him, on account of Ironeyes being worshiped in the Sliverism religion.

I want to complain about the German translations of the Mistborn book titles. Over a few birthdays I gifted every Mistborn book to my mother, who is just as big of a fantasy fan as I am, it's just that she prefers the books in German. And I can hardly believe how they mangled the titles.

Final Empire becomes "Children of the Mists" (Kinder des Nebels), The Well of Ascension becomes "Warriors of Fire" (Krieger des Feuers), The Hero of Ages becomes "Ruler(s) of Light" (Herrscher des Lichts), and Alloy of Law becomes "Hunters of the Power" (Jäger der Macht). Can these titles be any more generic? I found Alloy of Law especially creative, and the translators simply botched it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe
Ever tried to talk about LOTR or Harry Potter or whatever popular series with someone who read the German books, yeah have fun they mangle the names and everything. I remember I got a friend to read Wheel of Time but she opted for the German translation, we couldn't talk about the books at all because nothing made sense.
German translations aren't just bad for books either, it is the same with games: Donnerzorn, Gesegnete Klinge des Windsuchers !

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Torrannor posted:

Final Empire becomes "Children of the Mists" (Kinder des Nebels), The Well of Ascension becomes "Warriors of Fire" (Krieger des Feuers), The Hero of Ages becomes "Ruler(s) of Light" (Herrscher des Lichts), and Alloy of Law becomes "Hunters of the Power" (Jäger der Macht). Can these titles be any more generic? I found Alloy of Law especially creative, and the translators simply botched it.

Unlike the stunningly original titles "Final Empire" and "The Hero Of Ages"?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mossyfisk posted:

Unlike the stunningly original titles "Final Empire" and "The Hero Of Ages"?

I thought Final Empire was a reference to the Nazis and their "Thousand Year Reich", especially in light of what happens at the end of said book.

The Hero of Ages is certainly not very creative, but at least it was mentioned a lot in the books, with the mystery being who said hero is and what that hero is supposed to do. Contrast it with "Ruler(s) of Light", which didn't appear in the books at all. I've read the German version as well to look for differences to the English text, and detected no egregious mistranslations. Which made the pointless changes in the titles even more baffling.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The first title (children of the mist or whatever) seems like a translation of mistborn

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mewse posted:

The first title (children of the mist or whatever) seems like a translation of mistborn

It's close but not quite. The proper translation is Nebelgeborene, which is the word used in the books themselves to describe the mistborn. It really, really makes no sense to use this alternative title.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

It's close but not quite. The proper translation is Nebelgeborene, which is the word used in the books themselves to describe the mistborn. It really, really makes no sense to use this alternative title.

Alright that's ridiculous.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
You guys are misunderstanding the problem of lovely localized titles. It's not that some translator, somewhere, hosed it up. It's that the localization publisher thinks a different title would work better for their market. This is all intentional...which makes it even worse really.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They do this with movies all the time, no idea why. Like, Frozen over there is called Die Eiskönigin – Völlig unverfroren (The ice queen, completely unabashed).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Chapter six of Shadows of Self is out!

http://www.tor.com/2015/09/28/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-shadows-of-self-chapter-six/

It's strange that they are releasing so much of the book before it's launch, but it works to make me want that book right now. Fortunately, it comes out in a week (yay!).

I wonder if the assassin is wearing an earring. If Harmony tried to talk him out of shooting, it would make sense that he seemed to "talk to himself". On the other hand, that's probably more involvement than Harmony would be comfortable with. Also, Hemalurgy spotted, poo poo is getting real!

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
They did the same chapter teaser dribbles with Words of Radiance. Drove me insane waiting for the book. I don't see how Wax is going to be able to fight a twinborn with added hemalurgy spikes.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

The Gardenator posted:

They did the same chapter teaser dribbles with Words of Radiance. Drove me insane waiting for the book. I don't see how Wax is going to be able to fight a twinborn with added hemalurgy spikes.

What I'd like to know is how has hemalurgy changed? Based on that corpse it looks like the way to implement it is still pretty much the same.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
New book tomorrow. I'm excited as heck

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

RC Cola posted:

New book tomorrow. I'm excited as heck

Oh yeah, I forgot about that ... !

Just preordered it. :D

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looks like the 10yr anniversary edition of Elantris is also being released tomorrow, per Sanderson's website

e: and a leatherbound edition

mewse fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 6, 2015

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Because of this I saw a book I haven't read yet. Shadows of Silence. It's amazing. And has tided me over.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
This is dangerous. I'm still awake and if the Kindle version goes live and gets DL'd to my paperwhite before I fall asleep...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I just got Shadows of Self. Wasn't expecting that so soon.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

mewse posted:

Looks like the 10yr anniversary edition of Elantris is also being released tomorrow, per Sanderson's website

Are they leatherbound Aons? I need them leatherbound to go with my leatherbound Breath and leatherbound Stormlight.

I pre-ordered the audiobook on Audible. It hasn't unlocked yet, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mewse posted:

I might finally get around to reading Elantris then.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Finished Shadows of Self, it's amazing. It ends with a bang, and it seems as if it could be more important to the wider Cosmere story than Alloy of Law made us believe.

Minor Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning spoiler:

Shadows of Self posted:

Others contained depictions of the rebuilding of the world, or other relics such as a replica of both Harmony's Bands and the Bands of Mourning.

Seems like our speculations about the Bands of Mourning were right.

There are a lot of fascinating things in the book, but I will have to reread it once before discussing them further. I've also spotted Hoid, it was easy enough.

This part of the Ars Arcanum seems quite significant, and not only for Scadrial (minor Stormlight Archive spoiler?):

Shadows of Self posted:

Combinations
It is possible on Scadrial to be born with ability to access both Allomancy and Ferruchemy. This has been of specific interest to me lately, as the mixing of different types of Investiture has curious effects. One needs look only at what has happened on Roshar to find this manifested - two powers, combined, often have an almost chemical reaction. Instead of getting out exactly what you put in, you get something new.
On Scadrial, someone with one Allomantic power and one Ferruchemical power is called "Twinborn." The effects here are more subtle than they are when mixing surges on Roshar, but I am convinced that each unique combination also creates something distinctive. Not just two powers, you could say, but two powers... and an effect. This demands further study.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Woke up sick today so was able to finish the book. I enjoyed it and am glad the next one is coming so soon.

One question that was in my mind the whole time was(not really a spoiler) if, or more likely when, Mistborn are ever going to show up in this series or any of the next ones. Like can Harmony just spit out some of that Mistborn metal out if he wants to?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
All right. Working through the Shadows of Self and I have some theories. I'm about 60% in so spoilers abound.

1. They make a point of emphasizing how Harmony had difficulty acting because of his balanced nature, but then he reflects over how he was too nice in designing the world.
2. They have a huge hint of Atium being "the missing metal". Atium is Ruin's physical manifestation, which he didn't have access to when Harmony merged Preservation and Ruin.
3. Therefore Harmony is more preservation than ruin. And something else has access to the surplus ruin power via the Atium. Bleeder seems the logical person for this, as she can do the whole telepathy thing they make clear is of Ruin.
4. Not sure what Suit is up to. Yet. Or what Bleeder is trying to do. Progress through conflict?

Velius fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Time to peace out of this thread. I'll check back in on Saturday after I marathon the book Friday night.