Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That's what I've heard of it. Probably would have done better if they had called it something other than Syndicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The original Syndicate flame thrower was also pretty spiffy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPU-zzuwEEQ

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Best/funnest flamethrower I've ever seen in games belongs solidly to Return To Castle Wolfenstein/Enemy Territory

That thing was beastly as gently caress

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Best/funnest flamethrower I've ever seen in games belongs solidly to Return To Castle Wolfenstein/Enemy Territory

Most important thing with a good flamethrower in a game is what reaction it gets from when engulfed NPC's. For the longest time in games, being on fire just applied a damage-over-time effect and they'd still stand and shoot you without care :(

Once the "Oh Christ I'm on fire!" mocap technology came of age, the flamethrower unlocked its true potential in FPS games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dandywalken posted:

Most important thing with a good flamethrower in a game is what reaction it gets from when engulfed NPC's. For the longest time in games, being on fire just applied a damage-over-time effect and they'd still stand and shoot you without care :(

Once the "Oh Christ I'm on fire!" mocap technology came of age, the flamethrower unlocked its true potential in FPS games.

Lighting people on fire and having them scream in agony is my favorite little thing in many games. It disappoints me to no end when a man just gets back up and starts shooting at me despite his flesh roasting. Reactions in general are fun, I like that people can actually bleed out in MGSV, even if there does seem to be only one generic "wounded" reaction. Sometimes other enemies will spot them and run over and start telling them to keep it together and hold on, that they'll get through this. Instead of raising any kind of alert. Which means you can shoot them too and have two guys rolling on the ground screaming.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

One of the best part of flamethrowers in the otherwise mediocre to terrible Army Men series of games was that, while it was still stupidly short ranged, it had the effect you would expect on enemies. It killed them almost instantly, and they would melt down into a puddle of goop.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Postal 2 was a garbage game on just about every objective level but the gas can + match weapon is insanely satisfying to use. Granted it's not much use in an actual firefight but for just causing mayhem in town it was a blast. Especially since they go out of their way to give you opportunities to use it creatively, like having a marching band going through town on one day or an outdoor circus with elephants that can be set on fire.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
I've recently been playing the game Breath of Fire for the GBA, and I guess a little thing is that when you die, you start up back at the last dragon statue you saved at, but you KEEP all of the treasure and experience points, so while you are set back, you didn't just WASTE X hours since the last time you saved. Boggles my mind that other RPGs don't use this system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Merry Deciever posted:

I've recently been playing the game Breath of Fire for the GBA, and I guess a little thing is that when you die, you start up back at the last dragon statue you saved at, but you KEEP all of the treasure and experience points, so while you are set back, you didn't just WASTE X hours since the last time you saved. Boggles my mind that other RPGs don't use this system.

Xenoblade Chronicles does the same thing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I agree completely. I distinctly remember that game being the first time I was ever actually impressed with how a flamethrower (or rather, how the flames) looked.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not strictly a flamethrower, but the Flamewall in Rise of the Triad (both original and remake) is always fun. A bunch of enemies all turning into blackened skeletons that collapse into a pile of ash is very satisfying.

Sleeveless posted:

Postal 2 was a garbage game on just about every objective level
Apart from being fun, you mean?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dandywalken posted:

The burning guy animation wasn't in the multiplayer but the poo poo you could do with that flamethrower was insane. The devs actually made it so that it shot a stream of fire (as opposed to the generalized cones or aoe's you see in other games) and the stream would actually splash off solid surfaces. This meant that in multiplayer (if you were practiced enough) you could actually use it to burn out bunkers through their slits, kill guys around corners, and rain fiery death from higher platforms and rooftops. It was awesome and every fps should be required to have one by law.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tiggum posted:

Apart from being fun, you mean?

Last I checked fun wasn't objective compadre.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
In reality, the flame thrower scared the Germans so much that anyone captured that was using a flamethrower was executed on sight.
It was such a horrible, effective weapon that it made the goddamn NAZIs poo poo themselves in fear.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Sonic's foot tapping if you leave him alone to long. I think in 2 hell just run off the screen and won't come back. Or is that Sonic CD?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

In reality, the flame thrower scared the Germans so much that anyone captured that was using a flamethrower was executed on sight.
It was such a horrible, effective weapon that it made the goddamn NAZIs poo poo themselves in fear.

And it was extremely rarely used in the way videogames show them. The main use of a flamethrower was to burn up the oxygen in a fortification so the enemy would retreat. It had the psychological bonus of looking scary as gently caress.

It was decided very early on that directly burning someone to death with one was a war crime.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wizgot posted:

Sonic's foot tapping if you leave him alone to long. I think in 2 hell just run off the screen and won't come back. Or is that Sonic CD?

That's Sonic CD. If you leave him alone for too long he'll jump off the screen and leave.

Which is only beaten by Knuckles Chaotix, where if you stay still for a minute then an invincible Metal Sonic will turn up and attack you.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Oct 7, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thinky Whale posted:

MGSV minor spoilers about Huey being an rear end in a top hat: One of the things that tips over the realization that Huey is in fact lying about absolutely everything is when he claims he's never seen his kid's face. On the mission when you go to get him, if you look closely at the AI pod that he's using as a hilariously depressing refrigerator door, there's a photo of Strangelove with little Hal.

I liked how the room Ocelot's interrogating him in is Room 101. Little reminders that Big Boss is the villain you kill in the next game in the timeline.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I bought the Postal 2 Fudge Pack(has postal 1 and 2) and they gave me free additional steam keys, including one for Postal 3 because "Postal 3 sucks and we don't give a gently caress."

Favorite thing in the game itself is pissing on myself to put out fire.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Amorphous Blob posted:

I bought the Postal 2 Fudge Pack(has postal 1 and 2) and they gave me free additional steam keys, including one for Postal 3 because "Postal 3 sucks and we don't give a gently caress."

Favorite thing in the game itself is pissing on myself to put out fire.

Postal 3 was outsourced and Running With Scissors really loving hate how it turned out, to the point where it has literally never gone on sale on Steam because they don't want people to buy it. And when they added achievements to Postal 2 they patched in a copy of Postal 3 in the junkyard that you can piss on for an achievement. Also The opening of the Postal 2 DLC that came out earlier this year is the Postal Dude waking up from a car accident and dismissing Postal 3 as some coma hallucination and then just moving on without a second thought.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked how the room Ocelot's interrogating him in is Room 101. Little reminders that Big Boss is the villain you kill in the next game in the timeline.

Ocelot gets a lot of the fun 1984 stuff. Like going "two plus two is five" if you tranq him, and at the very end in the tape conversation about Doublethink, while the subtitles say Adam, in the Japanese audio, Big Boss calls him Julia.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
MGSV: I was so grossed out and angry at first, and would have posted this in the worst thing in games thread but the Ocelot model swap mod video has now made it my favorite thing the rain scene

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thin Privilege posted:

MGSV: I was so grossed out and angry at first, and would have posted this in the worst thing in games thread but the Ocelot model swap mod video has now made it my favorite thing the rain scene

yea kojima is so icky and gross ugh, what a shitlord pissbaby

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I didn't say anything about Kojima but okay

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alteisen posted:

yea kojima is so icky and gross ugh, what a shitlord pissbaby

agreed

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Kojima is a totally pervy weirdo and I love him for it.

Raiden X: streaking mode.
Never forget.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sad lions posted:

Kojima is a totally pervy weirdo and I love him for it.

Raiden X: streaking mode.
Never forget.

I just kind of wish more of it was played up for humor and less of it was weird rear end shots of gross borg ladies with gigantic tits.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I just kind of wish more of it was played up for humor and less of it was weird rear end shots of gross borg ladies with gigantic tits.

Like Carry On Up the Khyber, only with diseased corpses everywhere.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
People upholding Kojima as some sort of demigod just makes you appreciate Revengeance's story, characters, and dialogue even more since he basically had nothing to do with it and it still wound up being some of the best stuff to come out of the franchise.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Kojima's a genius, but not for the reason his fans usually give. His genius lies in getting away with whatever the gently caress he wanted for as long as he did, and for that I salute him, wacko misogyny aside.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Thin Privilege posted:

What rain scene? The only rain scene I remember is one short one where Boss is walking to the helicopter and talking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samfucius posted:

What rain scene? The only rain scene I remember is one short one where Boss is walking to the helicopter and talking.

There's a scene where Venom Snake and Quiet frolic in the rain which is hilariously awkward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKT75RHEAI

The model swap they mentioned is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Oct 8, 2015

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Samfucius posted:

Get her bond up to max and ride back to mother base with her when it rains

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Sleeveless posted:

just moving on without a second thought.

Close: Postal 3 dude takes over your conscious at times and has a different voice and attitude. It's like Duke Nukem Forever cutting in on Duke Nukem 3D and it's hilarious.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Someone mentioned before about DD stalking dudes. How do you do that? Every time I tell him to either kill or stun someone he just barks like a dickhead, charges directly at them and usually ends up shot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samfucius posted:

Apparently there's another really creepy scene if you do the thing where you never have Snake take a shower and he gets all stinky. Quiet takes him into her cell and they shower together while everyone watches and comments.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've never showered (role playing) and that's not happened yet. I think (thankfully) rain and crawling around in water cleans you up as you go.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I appreciate the Tity Lady

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

ChogsEnhour posted:

Someone mentioned before about DD stalking dudes. How do you do that? Every time I tell him to either kill or stun someone he just barks like a dickhead, charges directly at them and usually ends up shot.

Seems to depend on where DD is in relation to the enemy. If he's behind them (or the easiest path towards them leads to their back) he will stalk. Otherwise he'll charge them.
Normally the charge isn't a problem though since the enemy will take too long to react*.

*does not work in case the enemy is on alert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I appreciate the Tity Lady