Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zsinjeh posted:

Sure is beautiful exploring the Milky Way though :allears:
http://imgur.com/a/GdPkw/

Not going to lie, just the "sit back and relax" exploration aspect of it sounds alluring.

LLJKSiLk posted:

He told me it was on auto-release for 12PM EST/11AM CST.

I don't know if my fingernails will last that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

LLJKSiLk posted:

He told me it was on auto-release for 12PM EST/11AM CST.

Can you link us to the post where you said you beat your kids?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
How recently was Sandi Gardiner's linked in profile deleted?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I think she had a couple of profiles deleted in the past. Someone searched this in the last thread or sth.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Wulfling posted:

Actually, knowing him, I'd be he is in for more than the $1500 now.

You'd be wrong, but I wouldn't want to take away the joy of people that need to be mad about people spending money on spaceships.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Octopode posted:

You'd be wrong, but I wouldn't want to take away the joy of people that need to be mad about people spending money on spaceships.

You still got scammed out of $1500.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AP posted:

It's not really speculation, there's a lot of crossover between the whales and the greymarket, there always has been. RSI moderator fired in that piece.

The major whales kept a limited ship wait list secret for over 6 months, then kept the ability to unmelt something a secret for months too. Once normal punters found out about the wait list CIG binned it, once they found out about unmelting they removed the ablity to gift from unmelted.

That was my piece of work (thanks in part to another Goon who had more money into SC than I did and helped get it started).

The Mod didn't get fired, they "stepped down" according to them and :lesnick: who then got mad at me.

Eurogamer did a near identical piece a year later which if I recall prompted CIG to shut the whole method down.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dante80 posted:

I think she had a couple of profiles deleted in the past. Someone searched this in the last thread or sth.

Ah..got sth.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/648495342086922240

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I tried playing Elite Dangerous once on a friends account. I gave up when the landing and docking tutorial didn't work and docking seemed impossible. Game is too try hard for my taste and has too many bugs.

I bought it during the summer sale when it was 45$ and was so insulted by the combination of obtuseness of controls plus lack-- youtube tutorials that I immediately returned it. Seriously, no tutorials would have been better. I did, however, rebuy it after the price drop and when it was on sale for 25$ and gave it an earnest go and it's actually not that bad once you get used to it. It certainly isn't buggy. But I think the lack of a real introduction/tutorial system is definitely hurting them sales-wise and they should think better of it...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Octopode posted:

It's not that they're mad, its that they're laughing at how someone got swindled for their money like a fool and that said fool is ardently defending the fact they got swindled by incompetent game developers who act like manchildren when they're looked at funny.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Doesn't that girl on the right, in the blue dress, look familiar?

Wasn't Seraph posting faceless pics of some girl in a blue dress?

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Doesn't that girl on the right, in the blue dress, look familiar?

Wasn't Seraph posting faceless pics of some girl in a blue dress?

and none of them have pubes.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I don't know who Dent is but I really hope that he and Smart fight over who gets to take credit for pointing out that Star Citizen is listing.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

nobodys mad. we're making fun of you because you spent $1,500 and got nothing in return and you never will. lol.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's not that they're mad, its that they're laughing at how someone got swindled for their money like a fool and that said fool is ardently defending the fact they got swindled by incompetent game developers who act like manchildren when they're looked at funny.

They're laughing at a situation they've imagined up themselves based on an entry in a spreadsheet. :ssh:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

So now even that 3rd one is gone. She just can't hide from Smartzilla.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

They're laughing at a situation they've imagined up themselves based on an entry in a spreadsheet. :ssh:

An entry in a spreadsheet for a game that will never come out that people are forking over hundreds of dollars for.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Innerguard posted:

An entry in a spreadsheet for a game that will never come out that people are forking over hundreds of dollars for.

The people forking over hundreds of dollars are not necessarily the same people listed on the spreadsheet :eng101:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Octopode posted:

The fact that goons took pride in how much they gave Roberts insofar they posted it in a spreadsheet is what we're laughing at

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
^^ It's not the same girl, though that would be pretty amazing for this thread.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Not going to lie, just the "sit back and relax" exploration aspect of it sounds alluring.

That screenshot does little to really explain what Exploration in ED is really like. It's tedious and often boring, not to mention time consuming.

Your entire time spent "exploring" is spent jumping from one system to the next, running a planetary body scan and then moving on after you've gotten more detailed scans from any interesting planets. It would be nice to be able to just sit back, hands off and let the ship fly a straight path while you pan the camera around and snap potentially gorgeous screenshots but that's not how it works.

You spend more time looking at the loading animation that is hyper space.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Octopode posted:

were laughing at you for playing Google legal expert and getting thoroughly schooled

https://popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

grace us more with your Google legalise.

edit: oh and you dropped 1500 on .jpgs

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 6, 2015

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Octopode posted:

The people forking over hundreds of dollars are not necessarily the same people listed on the spreadsheet :eng101:

So you're saying you didn't pay that amount? What did you pay then? Zero? That isn't very fun.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

The fact that goons took pride in how much they gave Roberts insofar they posted it in a spreadsheet is what we're laughing at

I mean, a spreadsheet of assets in a game people thought was gonna happen at the time is totally hilarious and is completely indicative of the way people think / feel now.

You sir, have won at Star Citizen and showed all of us who put money in the error of our ways via your unique and witty ridicule.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Agrajag posted:

were laughing at you for playing Google legal expert and getting thoroughly schooled

Let me assure you I am very upset about this, and totally convinced that the foremost legal minds in the world reside on the somethingawful.com internet forums. I've compiled a list of usernames and forwarded it to Derek Smart to assist in his own libel crusade.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Roflan posted:

I bought it during the summer sale when it was 45$ and was so insulted by the combination of obtuseness of controls plus lack-- youtube tutorials that I immediately returned it. Seriously, no tutorials would have been better. I did, however, rebuy it after the price drop and when it was on sale for 25$ and gave it an earnest go and it's actually not that bad once you get used to it. It certainly isn't buggy. But I think the lack of a real introduction/tutorial system is definitely hurting them sales-wise and they should think better of it...

It's just helpful to view E:D through a filter of realising that the 'core' gameplay is just flying in space. Sure there's a trading system and a mission system and a pretty decent combat system in there, but the reason they feel a bit shallow is because ultimately the assumption behind the game is that fun involves picking a direction in this full scale procedurally generated version of our galaxy and seeing what's out there.

Either that appeals or it doesn't, but I think what's relevant here is that this 'explore an empty universe' is the precise opposite ethos to what Star Citizen promises to be about.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LCL-Dead posted:

That screenshot does little to really explain what Exploration in ED is really like. It's tedious and often boring, not to mention time consuming.

Your entire time spent "exploring" is spent jumping from one system to the next, running a planetary body scan and then moving on after you've gotten more detailed scans from any interesting planets. It would be nice to be able to just sit back, hands off and let the ship fly a straight path while you pan the camera around and snap potentially gorgeous screenshots but that's not how it works.

You spend more time looking at the loading animation that is hyper space.

awww, nothing else to do with this $45, guess i'm investing in sc

that's the right thing to do now, right?

Skoll posted:

I mean, a spreadsheet of assets in a game people thought was gonna happen at the time is totally hilarious

not going to lie i'm pretty sure spending anything north of $500 on a virtual ship in a non-subscription-based game is pretty funny even if the game had released on time

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Derek Smart reminds me of Jerry from Parks and Rec

He's got to be surprised people are still listening

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Octopode posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You still got scammed out of $1500.

It will never not be funny to see this.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OriginalPseudonym posted:

not going to lie i'm pretty sure spending anything north of $500 on a virtual ship in a non-subscription-based game is pretty funny even if the game had released on time

Oh, I completely agree and have always found their prices batshit insane, and even more so that people paid it..

However, I just think the joke is old and beaten to death at this point. There's other things to make fun re: Star Citizen than goons who are dumb with money.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

Let me assure you I am very upset about this, and totally convinced that the foremost legal minds in the world reside on the somethingawful.com internet forums. I've compiled a list of usernames and forwarded it to Derek Smart to assist in his own libel crusade.

are you upset because you're not on that list?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Sillybones posted:

So you're saying you didn't pay that amount? What did you pay then? Zero? That isn't very fun.

Between starship sales and ad revenue from the dev tracker, I'm firmly in the cash received category here.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

Octopode, on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the worst, how bad do you think the 8 hour Chairman letter and the legal threat to the Escapist have been?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Octopode posted:

Between starship sales and ad revenue from the dev tracker, I'm firmly in the cash received category here.

Even if you made money, some amount of that money is still in their coffers, right? All you have said is you screwed some other people along with yourself.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

They're in a secret forum with all the people who donated to Doobie's Dog House or developed Zybourne Clock

Also Erectile:Disfunction is kind of crappy. Maybe after a couple of expansions it'll be worth playing but at the moment it's quite boring and grindy. Tons of procedural content but very little of it is worth looking at twice.

Hey! I may have given Doobie money and tried to recreate ZB in RPG Maker, but I haven't given a cent to crobert. :smugbert:

...on an unrelated note, please link to that forum.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

G0RF posted:

So now even that 3rd one is gone. She just can't hide from Smartzilla.

What's the big deal about her LinkedIn profiles getting deleted?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Octopode posted:

lest we forget Octopode is a successful captain of industry and we're all just jealous

Octopode Google attorney at law and IT server expert

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 6, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Octopode posted:

Like a punching bag with two tyres on it. drat it.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Octopode posted:

What the gently caress! Is the dev tracker just a page with "nope still nothing yet" on it.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Octopode posted:

You said you worked in maritime law. Please explain the Jones Act to me without using google. I actually DO work in maritime law, and I'm curious if you're COMPLETELY full of poo poo, or just terrible at your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

AP posted:

Octopode, on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the worst, how bad do you think the 8 hour Chairman letter and the legal threat to the Escapist have been?

How do you measure bad?

In terms of impact on the game? I don't think it really matters. It's not like it's a change from the same people involved and the way the studios have been run for the last few years. The giant clusterfuck patch release hiatus while they merged and unmerged the FPS branch is a much bigger thing, in terms of actual community enthusiasm.

• Locked thread