Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Octopode posted:

Between starship sales and ad revenue from the dev tracker, I'm firmly in the cash received category here.
You don't think proselyting this game is a bit shady considering you're apparently making so much money off of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Octopode posted:

In terms of impact on the game?

Wouldn't there need to be a game?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kamikaze Raider posted:

You said you worked in maritime law. Please explain the Jones Act to me without using google. I actually DO work in maritime law, and I'm curious if you're COMPLETELY full of poo poo, or just terrible at your job.

I assume he was doubly facetious when he said that.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

Even if you made money, some amount of that money is still in their coffers, right? All you have said is you screwed some other people along with yourself.

He broke even at MLM Citizen though, that means he's smarter than you.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Octopode, I'll be your space lawyer if you want. My fee is that you provide me with a jpg to use as my space law office.

Thanks.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Octopode posted:

Let me assure you I am very upset about this, and totally convinced that the foremost legal minds in the world reside on the somethingawful.com internet forums. I've compiled a list of usernames and forwarded it to Derek Smart to assist in his own libel crusade.

Octopode: Serious question but not about laws

you are not really planning on a refund even just a partial one?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Let me tell you about this great investment opportunity, "Hellgate: London Lifetime Subscription." I swear, premium investment opportunity. You can play the game for life, and it costs less than one of your fancy jpgs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure octopode already sold all the ships he could on reddit, considering how closely he seems to follow star citizen. It'd be the only reasonable choice, really.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

You said you worked in maritime law. Please explain the Jones Act to me without using google. I actually DO work in maritime law, and I'm curious if you're COMPLETELY full of poo poo, or just terrible at your job.

You really shouldn't be on the internet if you're going to believe everything people tell you. It's dangerous.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Octopode posted:

You really shouldn't be on the internet if you're going to believe everything people tell you. It's dangerous.

Are you aware of how insane you are?

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy

TcStar@escapistforums posted:

As promised.

Their $50 million dollar man.

http://imgur.com/a/Kd7B9
http://imgur.com/a/zHc2T

The latest thread about the Escapist from a "neutral source" on reddit is not so neutral. Kevin Dent and Wulf Knight aka accelerwraith is very close to Kevin Dent. Wulf Knight = Chris Roberts $50 million dollar man. Accelerwraith has hacked the Star Citizen website and let those who spoke out know there wasn't **** that CIG would do about it.

Accelerwraith does not seem to like the grey market but he vouches for the sale of accounts on reddit?
Buys the whole team pizza?
Gets a free ship?

STAND UP TO THIS GUYS, PLEASE. GET THE WORD OUT.

#WEWILLNOTBESILENCED #STARCITIZEN #STANDWITHTHEESCAPIST #FOLLOWTHEMONEY

If you didn't see my last post: here's your boy on reddit accusing the escapist of using Glassdoor sources all over your grey market http://imgur.com/a/XomTs #kisses

(btw these dudes love twitter. They harass an ex employee here: http://i.imgur.com/RbmCSke.png who Liz spoke to. "Why do they have anon sources" I present to you the reason why.)

Here's Accelerwraith being "neutral" again. http://imgur.com/a/ITLQR ends it with calling someone a sexual predator to get them to shut up. Strong arm tactics.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.883050-Star-Citizen-Employees-Speak-Out-on-Project-Woes-Update-2?page=30#22272427

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy

spathi-wa posted:

#WEWILLNOTBESILENCED #STARCITIZEN #STANDWITHTHEESCAPIST #FOLLOWTHEMONEY

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Octopode posted:

:ironicat:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

CCP have been pushing a lot of gameplay development/features to lessen the "thousand on thousand fights" because it was killing their servers etc.

Nothing beats overwhelming force, so it tends to be the goto beyond high alpha.

I seem to recall that company ownership in the UK requires a certain amount of time domiciled, or am I thinking of taxes?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Szcwczuk posted:

Are you aware of how insane you are?

i'll see you in space court for libel! I know i can do this because I Googled up some legal terms and that makes me an expert!

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Skoll posted:

Can you link us to the post where you said you beat your kids?

I tend to derail threads if I go into my drama, but you can find the thread in E/N that was referenced. I don't "beat my kids" but up until a few years ago practiced corporal punishment. Apparently that makes me awful even though it is still legally performed in schools in my state by school administrators. In any event, I haven't spanked any of my kids since late 2013/early 2014. Somewhere in there. /end derail

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm annoyed with myself for not dropping the extra $50 for the super awesome beta back when doing so would give me every update that came with Elite. Mostly because then I would actually have a benefit for spending money as an early backer.

The problem with Elite is very simple; it's a game with very little content. The core game itself is really, really, really well designed with a flight model that works well for ships that are all fairly massive and lots of flexibility and options. The problem is that the core game doesn't actually let you do anything. In a game with billions of solar systems it would be fairly easy to create some kind of territory or organization play that would be really good and give players something to fight over, but at the moment we're limited to NPC slapfights and players bypassing any threat of PvP through solo mode. But these are flaws that are easily remedied with time, and Frontier has clearly demonstrated a willingness to move in that direction.

Star Citizen faces the exact opposite problem. It is basically content with little game, and what game we have experienced is not terribly fun. I have yet to hear anyone sing the praises of the flight model or combat beyond potential, and frankly CIG's relentless failure to actually deliver on anything provides little justification to think anything will change.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

EminusSleepus posted:

Octopode: Serious question but not about laws

you are not really planning on a refund even just a partial one?

I have very little left to refund; those that I do include physical merchandise.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Agrajag posted:

i'll see you in space court for libel! I know i can do this because I Googled up some legal terms and that makes me an expert!

If I can't afford a space lawyer will the space state provide one for me?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Octopode posted:

Let me assure you I am very upset about this, and totally convinced that the foremost legal minds in the world reside on the somethingawful.com internet forums. I've compiled a list of usernames and forwarded it to Derek Smart to assist in his own libel crusade.

I would actually believe SomethingAwful knows more about legality than the lawyer that cleared Chris's posts. Anyone with a professional background would immediately recognize the same errors that pope article points out.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Octopode posted:

I have very little left to refund; those that I do include physical merchandise.

I would like to purchase one of your jpgs. Please PM me for details.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LLJKSiLk posted:

I tend to derail threads if I go into my drama, but you can find the thread in E/N that was referenced. I don't "beat my kids" but up until a few years ago practiced corporal punishment. Apparently that makes me awful even though it is still legally performed in schools in my state by school administrators. In any event, I haven't spanked any of my kids since late 2013/early 2014. Somewhere in there. /end derail

This thread.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

What's the big deal about her LinkedIn profiles getting deleted?

For weeks nobody could figure out why Smart was targeting Sandi so much in his blog posts. He kept targeting her qualifications and everyone was like "who cares? She's obviously good at her job as they have lots of money" then she started posting photos of things she randomly tripped over from her past on twitter and her stuff started disappearing from the internet like linkedin profiles, old interviews, various other stuff.

So now it's exactly like that bit in "all the president's men" when we've somehow found ourselves in a dark parking garage, a bit dazzed and wondering what's coming next.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

LLJKSiLk posted:

The fact that you can't beat your kids anymore is the reason for this entire thing.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

LLJKSiLk posted:

Consider the thread derailed. You are a loving monster. gently caress you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kamikaze Raider posted:

The Jones Act is when Captain Jones was jonesing for a hot piece of tail and hosed a fish making mermaids.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
It was such a good thread before you showed up rear end in a top hat.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, Elite is very much a big but shallow game, but to Frontier's credit they’re actively adding new features. I mean, it may be a bit tedious after a while but it still has more content than Star Citizen, which has none.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Octopode posted:

How do you measure bad?

In terms of impact on the game? I don't think it really matters. It's not like it's a change from the same people involved and the way the studios have been run for the last few years. The giant clusterfuck patch release hiatus while they merged and unmerged the FPS branch is a much bigger thing, in terms of actual community enthusiasm.

Can you point to any other video game studio in the past five years (same amount of time as Star Citizen has been a concept) that threatened to sue a news site for running an unflattering piece?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Atoramos posted:

Let me tell you about this great investment opportunity, "Hellgate: London Lifetime Subscription." I swear, premium investment opportunity. You can play the game for life, and it costs less than one of your fancy jpgs.

I liked HGL but I sure am glad I didn't buy that

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem with Elite is very simple; it's a game with very little content.

:agreed:

I even got the lifetime expansion sale when it first came out, but I've only played E:D for a few hours at the most. There's just nothing to do but grind, buy bigger/better ships, grind more, repeat. :(

edit:

LLJKSiLk posted:

I beat my kids

You're a piece of poo poo who should have been banned. :getout:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 6, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Octopode posted:

Why do you believe in Star Citizen then?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SC went content first and promised everything in the world. No game. Tech demos.

Elite went architecture / skeleton first and build a drat good game, while all of us are complaining its barebones.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

LLJKSiLk posted:

If you beat them enough, maybe they won't buy into crowdfunding games.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

3 posted:

hi derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WL5MX1Co8
MP3 Here

code:
the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
the man they all say never quite found a way
to respond to the lies and the slander

from his backers he scored eighty-six million bucks more
though the promises made were quite empty
that company and crew was a bone to be chewed
when the blogs of october came early

the game was the pride of all nerdlings worldwide
spending all of their cash for no reason
as the kickstarters go it was bigger than most
with rewards and good stretch goals well seasoned

concluding some sales with a coupla' space whales
while their deadlines were still disappearing
come three years later when their twitter feeds rang
could it be derek smart they'd been fearing?

the forums online made a tattle-tale whine
with the subreddit frantically wailing
and every man knew as the chairman did too
t'was the goons of october come stealin'

the sale came late and the videos had to wait
though the hit in morale was a small one
when the article came it was more of the same
in the face of a million refunds

when suppertime came all the mods came on deck sayin'
fellas, we'll just have to ban ya
at seven p.m. the last blog post came in, they said
fellas, it's been good to know ya

the chairman wrote in he had committed no sin
toward the broken, the poor, and the hateful
and later that night on his battered website
went the wrecks of star citizen's faithful

does anyone know where the love of god goes
when you browse those forums for hours?
the faithful still say we'll see gameplay next may
if you just spend a thousand more dollars

it might be online and it might be single player
it might even see a release soon
but all that we see is the hopes and the dreams
of the redditors, furries and spacegoons

freelancer's good, wing commander's alright
and the x series keeps on surviving
old freespace seems like a young nerd's dreams
elite and the rest keep on flying

and year after year it just keeps getting clearer
that a space game's just planning for failure
when star citizen goes just like everyone knows
will the goons of october remember?

in a dusty old thread on the forums they watched
the collapse of the faithful on reddit
and as denial began, they stood tall to a man
or at least five in the case of ben lesnick

the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
chris roberts they say always could find a way
to turn failure to more propaganda 

Just a reminder that this is a thing that was made is and awesome.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Szcwczuk posted:

The fact that you can't beat your kids anymore is the reason for this entire thing.

I can. I just don't.

Parent/guardian/person responsible for care and supervision of a minor/teacher or other person responsible for care and supervision of a minor for a special purpose may use reasonable and appropriate physical force when and to the extent he reasonably believes it necessary and appropriate to maintain discipline or promote welfare of the child.
§ 13A-3-24. Alabama Code

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Why do you believe in Star Citizen then?

:drat:

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I just want to thank the previous hell thread for turning me into a Star Citizen follower. I came for the Doobs, but stayed for the love of the 'verse.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Szcwczuk posted:

If I can't afford a space lawyer will the space state provide one for me?

if you can't afford one then you have no rights, space wasn't built on charity.

See you in the 'verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Well no, see...there's just something about Croberts that makes you trust him. :love::allears:

• Locked thread