Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
There seems to be two different covers for the DVD of White Dog. Beside the artwork, is there any other difference?

e; The criterionforum's are rumoring a Pick Up on South Street upgrade is in the works :q: Yes I love Sam Fuller and I hope to see The Steel Helmet get it's own spine/upgrade

Oh first post of page 236.. For the first post I give you spine 236:

I've never heard of this film, any good?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

There seems to be two different covers for the DVD of White Dog. Beside the artwork, is there any other difference?

e; The criterionforum's are rumoring a Pick Up on South Street upgrade is in the works :q: Yes I love Sam Fuller and I hope to see The Steel Helmet get it's own spine/upgrade

Oh first post of page 236.. For the first post I give you spine 236:

I've never heard of this film, any good?

Ask an ABBA fan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So if you login to Criterion.com with your Facebook account, they'll give you a free $10 credit, which can be used next flash sale.
https://www.criterion.com/facebook_300k

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Detective No. 27 posted:

So if you login to Criterion.com with your Facebook account, they'll give you a free $10 credit, which can be used next flash sale.

Woooooord.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah, only available today, 9/28. Get it while you can!

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
So I saw (in a theatrical double-feature, maybe not the best way) Persona and Cries and Whispers a year or so back, and liked but didn't love them. Just watched the TV version of Fanny and Alexander and was floored– jesus, what a film. Where to next?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ThetaOmnikron posted:

So I saw (in a theatrical double-feature, maybe not the best way) Persona and Cries and Whispers a year or so back, and liked but didn't love them. Just watched the TV version of Fanny and Alexander and was floored– jesus, what a film. Where to next?

Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal are two can't-misses. if you want another big, 5 hour TV epic, Scenes from a Marriage is flawless.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I had a very similar experience. I thought Persona and Cries and Whispers where great, but Fanny and Alexander was on a different level, it completely blew me away. I've never seen a film with that many compelling characters, Bergman makes you care about every single one of them. That Christmas dinner is one of the most masterful opening acts I've ever seen in terms of introducing a ton of different characters and establishing their main character traits without any of it feeling forced or contrived.

I wasn't a huge fan of The Seventh Seal. It was good but my least favorite Bergman so far. I haven't seen anything he's done that I outright disliked though. Wild Strawberries is excellent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved Fanny & Alexander, one of my favorite Criterions. Persona is the only Bergman I wasn't totally in love with otherwise, though I still overall liked it. I forget which ones I'm missing, I know I've seen Wild Strawberries, Persona, and Seventh Seal at least.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Scenes from a Marriage is definitely the next go-to, but I'd also pimp Winter Light, Autumn Sonata, Wild Strawberries, Shame, and Saraband.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Chiming in with The Virgin Spring here.

gently caress it, watch 'em all.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I have a soft spot for The Magic Flute, though I know most don't care for it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Oh yeah, The Magic Flute is super charming.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I watched that a few months ago, and as someone with like zero experience with opera I found it fairly watchable.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Did anyone figure out the newletter doodle from the other day?
Paris Je t'aime?

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 1, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

it's the only Bergman i haven't been able to get into at all, but i'm not really an opera guy.

Hour of the Wolf deserves a shoutout too. and Sawdust & Tinsel is my pick for his most underappreciated.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hewlett posted:

Did anyone figure out the newletter doodle from the other day?
Paris Je t'aime?

It seems to be Paris Nous Appartient ("Paris Belongs to Us") (1961), d. Jacques Rivette.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Whit Stillman thinks a Criterion release of Barcelona might be on the horizon:

@WhitStillman posted:

Ahoy @OfficialPodcast WBshop no longer carries Barcelona which must mean the @Criterion is near

https://twitter.com/WhitStillman/status/649332929194233858

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Has there been any talk about a Blu Ray release of Grand Illusion. I don't own the DVD and would love to own the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Has there been any talk about a Blu Ray release of Grand Illusion. I don't own the DVD and would love to own the movie.

The Lionsgate/StudioCanal release is from a 4K restoration and is virtually perfect besides missing Criterion's extras.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

50% Flash sale going on right now.

Ugh I don't know what to buy....

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

just used it to scoop Watership Down, Kiss Me Deadly, and Hausu.

gently caress i'm broke

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nice to see they dropped the rates to ship to Canada, although B&N is still cheaper if you order in bulk. Praise the sweet baby Jesus for that $20.00 credit.

Edit: Ordering Don't Look Now, Ride the Pink Horse and La Dolce Vita which I meant to order the last B&N sale but didn't because of the exchange rate and welp it's even worse now.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 6, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm thinking about ordering Ugetsu. I'm having trouble finding a general description of the movie that isn't a multi-paragraph rundown of the plot.

I've seen Sansho the Bailiff before though and thought it was quite good. Is Ugetsu a similarly a slow-paced drama?

EDIT: I just realized it's a DVD and not a Blu-Ray they have available. Maybe I'll go with something else.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 6, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Outstanding, been sitting on a decent sized batch in my wish list for a while. Well the Apu trilogy and Mulholland Drive I had to order separately a while back but they were dirt cheap on Amazon at the time so it all works out.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I snapped up Time Bandits, Sullivan's Travels, and Fantastic Mr. Fox

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cacator posted:

Nice to see they dropped the rates to ship to Canada, although B&N is still cheaper if you order in bulk. Praise the sweet baby Jesus for that $20.00 credit.

Edit: Ordering Don't Look Now, Ride the Pink Horse and La Dolce Vita which I meant to order the last B&N sale but didn't because of the exchange rate and welp it's even worse now.

$20?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dammit! Got excited for the flash sale, went to get Mulholland Dr. and it's out later this month! NOOOOOOO

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Oh I guess that Facebook link thing was only worth $10. Not sure where my other :10bux: came from :iiam:

Cacator fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 6, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I used the $10 credit and shipping discount, and got:

- Safe and Eraserhead on Blu-Ray for me
- Life is Sweet on Blu-Ray for my dad

$49.91 total, or $16.63 each

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
RIP Chantal Akerman. She was my favorite Criterion discovery. Her Eclipse set, and Jeanne Dielman, blew me away.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Would Umberto D. be a safe blind-buy purchase?
It's a film I rarely see being discussed, but reviews of it being simple, elegant, and heartbreaking has always intrigued me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is this still going on? I went to the URL and it just redirects to the main page.

Edit-- looks like I missed out, grabbed 12 Angry Men, Time Bandits, and Overlord anyway.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 6, 2015

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Haha they sure reeled us in with that ten-dollar off coupon.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha they sure reeled us in with that ten-dollar off coupon.

I'm still slaving over if I should go for a full $100 worth for the free bag.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I ended up getting:

A Hollis Frampton Odyssey
The Black Stallion
By Brackhage
Cries and Whispers
F for Fake
Hiroshima mon amour
Life of Oharu
The Qatsi Trilogy
The Thin Blue Line
Time Bandits

And they gave me another $50 gift certificate just for that order. :smith:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Guess I never got my $10 coupon, despite logging in with my fb

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Impressions?

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/825-eclipse-series-28-the-warped-world-of-koreyoshi-kurahara

Or

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/655-eclipse-series-17-nikkatsu-noir

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Purchased Cries & Whispers, Sansho the Bailiff, and Dillinger is Dead. Only now that the order's placed I'm rethinking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm saving my :10bux: for the next sale since I really only want Day for Night and The Freshman.... and I just paid rent for the month.

Here's my favorite (in print) Criterions, if that helps anyone make decisions:

The Complete Jacques Tati
F for Fake
Lonesome
A Hard Day's Night
The Gold Rush
Safety Last!
City Lights
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
The Night of the Hunter
The Killing/Killer's Kiss

Everyone should at least jump on the Tati set. The new restorations are absolutely stunning, especially Playtime.