Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lum posted:

I think the whole insider thing is genius, because the kind of person who pirates leaked betas for their bedroom/basement PC and then pirates the finished thing when it's out, thus never making MS any money, now gets to give them free beta testing forever.

Oh, is that why Microsoft downsized their QA department?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Who honestly knows how insider builds are going to work once OS licenses become subscriptions bound to MS accounts and not the hardware, too.

It only gets better with Office 2016 themes + Win10. The semi-customizable "themes" that place theme-specific watermarks in the upper left half of that bar result in artwork that spans the draggable and nondraggable parts with without a seam.

This post is off topic: Fuschia, is there a, um, story behind that avatar?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Not having tabs in an Explorer window is some bullshit though.

They have tabs in build 10547.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lowtechs posted:

They have tabs in build 10547.

I think GreenNight is referring to "tabs" as in multiple browsers in a single window, switched with tabs. Same way you have tabs in your web browser. Not the tabs on the toolbar.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Tabbed file browsers are dumb.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Potato Salad posted:

This post is off topic: Fuschia, is there a, um, story behind that avatar?

Ooh! Oooh! I know this one.

It's the cover of an album by Too Many Zooz.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

..btt posted:

What problems are you having? Mine's worked since Win10 release. The wheel on the throttle was a bit dodgy at first (clicks didn't register unless I fiddled with the control panel clutch setting after each reboot), but has been fine since the first post-win10 driver release, which was like a week later. All drivers were straight off the support site, I didn't do anything special.

Ok, to be honest I haven't tried setting it up yet. When I saw the support site didn't have windows 10 drivers I did some googling and read a lot of horror stories about it wrecking USB controllers and frequent BSODS and didn't want to take my chances. I did find some beta drivers for win 10 released by Saitek, but I'm just cautious about trusting Saitek's drivers. I'm going to just suck it up and give it a shot this week. I've been trying to wait hoping they would release a finished version of drivers but the are slow as hell and I want to play Elite.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How is the launch tomorrow and we still don't have any solid rumors on the SP4?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

How is the launch tomorrow and we still don't have any solid rumors on the SP4?

I asked this about the lumia 950. Articles that say they launch tomorrow are confusing a press release with a product release. They aren't launching tomorrow but they are going to be revealed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I asked this about the lumia 950. Articles that say they launch tomorrow are confusing a press release with a product release. They aren't launching tomorrow but they are going to be revealed.
Except we pretty much know everything about the 950/950XL. Im not expecting the products to be on sale tomorrow, but we should have some solid details already.

Oh well, its only another 12 hours at this point.
When do they actually start their talk thing? I saw the public invites for the evening, but the announcement is AM at some point.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

ilkhan posted:

When do they actually start their talk thing? I saw the public invites for the evening, but the announcement is AM at some point.

According to neowin it's 2pm GMT (10am Eastern; 7am PDT) and the feed will be at: https://www.microsoft.com/october2015event/en-us

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Something was waking my PC up all the time. Turns out the latest version of spotify is setting a wake timer for exactly an hour after the pc sleeps for some reason

(not my pic)

Great job guys

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm seeing a lot of Win10 tablet/hybrid machines being sold with only 2GB RAM, such as the Asus Transformer Book series.

Am I right in thinking that Win10 with only 2gb is going to be utter poo poo and I should be looking at 4gb minimum?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lum posted:

I'm seeing a lot of Win10 tablet/hybrid machines being sold with only 2GB RAM, such as the Asus Transformer Book series.

Am I right in thinking that Win10 with only 2gb is going to be utter poo poo and I should be looking at 4gb minimum?

Obviously depends what you're gonna use it for. I picked up a T100 and I haven't had any issues having 6-10 Chrome tabs, Vsphere Client (with two or three console views up), Visio and Skype running all at once. I'm pretty impressed, to be honest.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

Nope, you can still sign up and participate. Just go to insider.windows.com enter your outlook email, agree to join and when it says "Welcome to the program, Insider" click on "get windows 10" or go to the download page here http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 I was able to sign up with a new account just now. I'm a huge fan of the program.
I signed up ages ago but never actually ended up installing it. When I log in now I see this page:

The box on the right links to the same thing that you posted above and says "If you are installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)." which I obviously don't have. Is that wrong? What would I enter during installation? Or does it just ask for my email and figure out that I'm in the Insider program?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

Maybe not, but it's an easy way to make using a Windows machine an utter nightmare over a long enough timeframe.

They're doing that because Windows licenses cost less on 2 GB machines. I suspect that loophole was made to drive manufacturers to make more Windows 10 tablets, but Microsoft hosed up by allowing for it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Maybe not, but it's an easy way to make using a Windows machine an utter nightmare over a long enough timeframe.

They're doing that because Windows licenses cost less on 2 GB machines. I suspect that loophole was made to drive manufacturers to make more Windows 10 tablets, but Microsoft hosed up by allowing for it.

Guess I'll go for the 4GB TB200 then, shame I can only find that with 32GB storage, but I'll just nuke the recovery partition when I get it. :)

This isn't for me, GF really really wants a touchscreen despite me telling her it's a bad idea when the budget is around £300 ish. (Insurance payout for breaking her old Acer Aspire 5732Z). Is going to mostly be a facebook/mplayer/ms word machine. She says she wants to run games on it, but I've told her she can't have both gaming and a touchscreen at that price.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lum posted:

Don't buy one with less than 4 GB if you plan to use the tablet for more than a year. You might get by with 2 GB now if you don't do much in terms of Desktop software, but down the road? It's like buying a 1 GB RAM iPad Air instead of a 2 GB iPad Air 2.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Decius posted:

Don't buy one with less than 4 GB if you plan to use the tablet for more than a year. You might get by with 2 GB now if you don't do much in terms of Desktop software, but down the road? It's like buying a 1 GB RAM iPad Air instead of a 2 GB iPad Air 2.

This is what I was thinking.

Personally I think she should drop the touchscreen requirement and just get a bloody laptop. I have a bit more cash to spend on mine, since the one I claimed on was worth more to begin with, so am looking at a Clevo N150SD with an M.2 SSD and a single 8gb stick of RAM in there.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

I signed up ages ago but never actually ended up installing it. When I log in now I see this page:

The box on the right links to the same thing that you posted above and says "If you are installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)." which I obviously don't have. Is that wrong? What would I enter during installation? Or does it just ask for my email and figure out that I'm in the Insider program?

All Windows 10 insider and free upgrade installs use the same key. You can find it somewhere in this thread if you don't see it on the insider site and if it asks you during install. It didn't ask me when I installed it, but I think that was before they had any of the activation stuff for 10 in.

Even if you end up with a non-genuine Windows 10 RTM build, you should be able to activate the fast ring insider builds. At the very least you'll be able to do this during the normal initial 30 day trial. Each insider build has its own expiration date so you can theoretically perpetually keep installing them as the become available.

My source: http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is this where I should come to talk about today's Surface announcement? Didn't seem to be a relevant place in IYG or anything.

Mainly I'm wondering if anybody has any idea how much of a complete machine the Surface Book is without its keyboard. If you'd notice they kept calling it a "clipboard," making sure never to use the word "tablet" to describe it. What does that mean? Could you think of the keyboard as a dock and leave it at home, or plug a Type Cover into it and use that instead? What happens if you're playing a game using the GPU and the dock comes off for whatever reason?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I think it's less powerful than the SP4 without the keyboard but the gpu is in the keyboard. So it's fine for tablet things without the keyboard.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

loquacius posted:

Mainly I'm wondering if anybody has any idea how much of a complete machine the Surface Book is without its keyboard. If you'd notice they kept calling it a "clipboard," making sure never to use the word "tablet" to describe it. What does that mean? Could you think of the keyboard as a dock and leave it at home, or plug a Type Cover into it and use that instead? What happens if you're playing a game using the GPU and the dock comes off for whatever reason?

From the pictures they showed it the clipboard has at most a third of battery capacity and cant' charge without the keyboard. As for removing the gpu either it switches to intel gpu or simply crashes the game. Think Nvidia optimus.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

MikusR posted:

From the pictures they showed it the clipboard has at most a third of battery capacity and cant' charge without the keyboard. As for removing the gpu either it switches to intel gpu or simply crashes the game. Think Nvidia optimus.

The latching mechanism is electronic, so I wonder if it'll simply not let you undock if a game is using the GPU.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Anyone figured out why Windows 10 stupidly sets random folders to be read-only thus preventing random programs from working correctly?

Gonna bet this is UAC related but for my experience UAC usually only does this poo poo to the default program files location, having actually go to other drives and set folders which I created as read-only all of sudden is really stupid and annoying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Potato Salad posted:

Who honestly knows how insider builds are going to work once OS licenses become subscriptions bound to MS accounts and not the hardware, too.

Apple just has it as an option to download if you're in the program, but they also don't really care about software sales sooooo yeah.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So did Microsoft basically make a more neatly packaged portable version of this loving thing or that ridiculous MSI one?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you change out the motherboard and CPU on a system that was upgraded to Win10 from Win7, is it going to deactivate, and can it be reactivated without a reinstall?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Entropic posted:

If you change out the motherboard and CPU on a system that was upgraded to Win10 from Win7, is it going to deactivate, and can it be reactivated without a reinstall?

It's going to deactivate, and while you can phone MS and try to convince them to do a phone activation, the Windows 10 license you agreed to expressly bound that license to your then current hardware, and when you replace that hardware, you are obligated to buy a new license.

You could just reinstall 7, activate it, then do the upgrade again, which will 'bless' your new hardware.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Anyone figured out why Windows 10 stupidly sets random folders to be read-only thus preventing random programs from working correctly?

Gonna bet this is UAC related but for my experience UAC usually only does this s- to the default program files location, having actually go to other drives and set folders which I created as read-only all of sudden is really stupid and annoying.

I feel pretty comfortable stating that Windows is not stupidly setting random folders read only. But you might get a more helpful response if you shared more information.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

It's going to deactivate, and while you can phone MS and try to convince them to do a phone activation, the Windows 10 license you agreed to expressly bound that license to your then current hardware, and when you replace that hardware, you are obligated to buy a new license.

You could just reinstall 7, activate it, then do the upgrade again, which will 'bless' your new hardware.
But the latter option expires July 2016.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor posted:

This is exactly what happens. After wasting 2 hours telling the indian support my windows 8.1 key, I gave up. They said they would call me back in 48 hours to fix the issue. I didn't have 48 hours to gently caress around so I reloaded 8.1, reactivated it with the phone number, then updated to 10 and that was activated as you would expect.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wish they'd just give you a license key when you do the upgrade. I mean, they do, I just wish they'd let you know what it is.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Isn't it possible to get the Windows 10 key from an activated upgrade using ProduKey and phone activate directly using that?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Jan posted:

Isn't it possible to get the Windows 10 key from an activated upgrade using ProduKey and phone activate directly using that?

No. The key used by windows 10 for the upgrade is the same across all upgraded computers ( ends in 36VVT ). The key tells windows to check if the hardware has been blessed, and cannot be used for a phone activation.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
It's like OEM keys, only worse. :cripes:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

No. The key used by windows 10 for the upgrade is the same across all upgraded computers ( ends in 36VVT ). The key tells windows to check if the hardware has been blessed, and cannot be used for a phone activation.

Goddamnit, Microsoft. You're the worst.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Licensing has been getting ever more awful since they started moving away from COAs in favour of secureboot nonsense in Win8.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

Goddamnit, Microsoft. You're the worst.

You got a free upgrade, and it came with restrictions, boo-hoo-hoo. MS was even really clear about this restriction, and said outright that all upgrades would be converted to device specific licenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is there a way to limit the max size of a folder in win10? I'm thinking of limiting a downloads folder to 50GB or something, so it doesn't max out my SB's 256GB when I forget to watch TV shows update my linux ISOs for a while.