Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What's your favorite episode in the show's run thus far, and why?
Total Rickall, both for the great execution and the twist at the end.

Who's your favorite side character?
Zeep Xanflorp

Do you have a favorite joke/gag/line from the show?
'I'm Mr. Bulldops"

What's your least favorite episode, and what could have been done to redeem it in your eyes?
My answer to the question above notwithstanding, Get Shwifty. I think it would have done better with a stronger B plot that involved the rest of the family more directly in the situation.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The entire "render farm" complaint is entirely stupid as hell, because probably .05% of people actually go online and discuss fan theories for TV shows that they watch. Maybe those .05% of people saw it coming, but who gives a gently caress?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

I really like Lawnmower Dog, I think it is the perfect template for an ideal Rick and Morty episode: strong A plot with an interesting concept that they can do a lot of different gags with without things getting redundant, a similarly solid B plot that uses another cool sci-fi concept (and not just mundane "Jerry and Beth arguing about their marriage" garbage), then both plots tie together at the end for an interesting conclusion. I get why following a formula like this would get tired so they have to switch it up, but otherwise it is just super solid with great jokes.

Plus it started the episode summary gag of using the "Things going ham broh, it's not looking good for Rick and Morty broh" format, which always makes me smile.

quote:

Regular Legs. He is a supportive partner who does his best to work with someone who is being difficult (complimenting Baby Legs on his detective work). Plus the gag that he is named goddamn "Regular Legs" in contrast to "Baby Legs" when most of humanity has regular legs is priceless and gets me every drat time.

quote:

This alternates based on what episodes/clips I have been watching/listening to in the background at work to make myself laugh but right now I am really feeling:

"It's polite, it's right, and it's sneezy...deezy...mc...deluxe..."

Honestly the majority of the gags from both cable eps are great to watch for 30 seconds and crack up to.

quote:

What's your least favorite episode, and what could have been done to redeem it in your eyes?

Most of the episodes, even if they have an A or B plot that sucks, the other one usually redeems it for me. Like, the season 2 opener has such a dumb B plot but the A plot is so unique and hilarious that I love the episode. Get Schwifty is probably my least favorite overall because it has a mundane and weak B plot and the A plot has some great moments but isn't consistent enough to redeem the episode. Anatomy Park also has an even worse boring B plot with a better overall A plot (both in comparison to Schwifty) that can't fully redeem the ep.

I guess the best thing to do to redeem eps like this is to not have some mundane B plot with Beth and Jerry or whoever just doing real world nonsense. That's not why I watch Rick and Morty, and they frankly don't do it as well as shows that already have that kind of comedy as a focus. Give us some Meeseeks or smart dogs or even a baby Gazorpazor to make things more interesting. Probably the one episode where it works is Look Who's Purging Now and that's because it has only a single scene before it immediately ties back into the A plot and has the awesome talking on the phone gag.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh, hadn't heard that one. I like that too. Right now the only theories I'm aware of are Evil Morty and this one you just posted. Are there any other good or fun theories out there?

I remember one that suggests that Beth's mom was Rick's first brain-camouflaging travel buddy, and that Morty inherited his special brainwaves from her.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

FireWorksWell posted:

Since the season ended, I figure we could have a little survey.

I'll go with "Rick Potion #9". I caught up with "Rick and Morty" after the first season ended by DVRing the reruns. This episode is where I dropped everything to binge on the entire first season in a day.

Hard to pick one between Bird Person ( :ohdear: ), Mr. Poopybutthole, or Scary Terry.

The "Goodbye Moonman" musical number (no kidding, the animation there is astounding) and it's reprise.

A disappointing episode of "Rick and Morty" is still several immeasurable orders of magnitude better than a good episode of, say, "Total Drama". That said, while the B-plot was terrific (that Werner Herzog monologue :allears: ), "Interdimensional Cable 2" was pretty blah. Make the B plot the A plot there and maybe...

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Something Ricked This Way Comes. Just the right amount of rapid-fire comedy with a few important character beats. Also actual character beatings.

Dr Xenon Bloom.

"Would you like to ride the bone train?" "WHY ARE YOU DOING SHTICK? WE'RE GONNA DIE"

Big Trouble In Little Sanchez.

Most of the episode's main themes have already been explored in the show more than once. Yes Rick hates himself and secretly wants to die, yes Beth and Jerry are in a terrible co-dependent relationship doomed to fail once and for all someday. It just feels like a complete waste of time.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 6, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I want to change my answer to the "Shmloose the Shmloss" sketch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Favorite episode - Either Get Schwifty, interdimensional cable 1, or the second

Favorite side character - Ants-in-my-eyes Johnson

Favorite joke - M-M-MORTY YOU GOTTA TURN INTO A CAR

least favorite episode - the first one

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
If anyone was curious, Arin Hanson was the cyber-photographer. I admit I didn't realize it was him because he was doing a stilted cyborg voice, and it was just a couple of lines.

Apparently Roiland was supposed to do a guest spot on his channel but the footage got destroyed, but Roiland said he would love to do it again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Applewhite posted:

I want to change my answer to the "Shmloose the Shmloss" sketch.

Shma??

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

FireWorksWell posted:

Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind and Something Ricked This Way Comes are great. Morty Night Run is good too.

Bird Person or Mr. Meeseeks

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
and
Caaaaaan Doooo!

The Rixty Minutes sequel. It was charming the first time, but going back to the well was a mistake. I know some people dig Roiland's improv, but I don't. He needs to be kept in check.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Tatsujin posted:

but the footage got destroyed

Were they using nitrate film?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

A Rickle in Time. The amount of detail in all the different frames was amazing and Rick trying shooting at himself cause he knew he was crazy enough to do it was hilarious.

Bird Person (he better not be dead, maybe come back as Cyborg Bird Person?)

"Who would have suspected Coach Feratu?"

Get Schwifty, I didn't hate it, but the cult B plot didn't do it for me. Also the songs were dumb compared to the ones in other episodes, I guess that was the point but clearly they could of and have done better than that.

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh, hadn't heard that one. I like that too. Right now the only theories I'm aware of are Evil Morty and this one you just posted. Are there any other good or fun theories out there?

I read one(don't remember where) that Rick is aware he lives in a TV show and he knows that he has to keep up the crazy adventures or he'll get canceled/die.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MisterDuck posted:

I read one(don't remember where) that Rick is aware he lives in a TV show and he knows that he has to keep up the crazy adventures or he'll get canceled/die.

That would have made a good twist at the end of the car battery episode, or a good reason to bring back Colbert's character during the shark jump season.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

The entire "render farm" complaint is entirely stupid as hell, because probably .05% of people actually go online and discuss fan theories for TV shows that they watch. Maybe those .05% of people saw it coming, but who gives a gently caress?

It's probably more like .03%, the other .02% are fake accounts Roiland made so he can badtalk the show to see if fans will defend it. (Apparently he's stopped doing that now)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Really nice use of Nine Inch Nails there. The episode is up on the official page in pieces if you don't have a qualifying cable subscription for the whole thing at once by the way.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind, it had the right mix of adventure to weird new places and comedy. Plus, it really did feel like a grand adventure, which adds a fantastical elemental to the whole deal, something that's actually pretty important to me.

Zeep Xanflorp AKA Stephen Colbert or Arthricia from the purge planet. Something about backstabbing assholes is hilarious to me.

Uhhhhhh... a lot? The first one that comes to mind is when the marriage counseling system starts popping out the Jerry's that do nothing but congratulate themselves.

Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate. Rick and Morty is good at mixing things up constantly and this episode did exactly not that. That said, I wasn't a huge fan of the original either, so non-sequitar humor just might not do it for me.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I really love how some people hate the third season already.

And Rick's excitement about the ice cave on tiny planet was pretty great.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This is a consistently funny show, and one of the reasons for that is that the characters have actual personalities that we get to witness interacting with each other. Part of having a personality is that it changes slightly over time depending on experiences. The only way to do this is to have an actual plot that shows this in action.

Rick & Morty is doing it right. Going "up its own rear end" is how one avoids Aqua Teen Hunger Force's "let's turn Carl into something" tediousness.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ramos posted:

Uhhhhhh... a lot? The first one that comes to mind is when the marriage counseling system starts popping out the Jerry's that do nothing but congratulate themselves.

I loved the adorable look on Beth's face right before Jerry ruins it

edit: holy poo poo I didn't notice how big the bulge in Jerry's pants was

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 6, 2015

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

bbf2 posted:

I just binge-watched this entire show in the last two days.

It was pretty interesting watching a TV show go from "Promising, but still shaky and finding it's footing" ---> "OK, now it's really finding it's rhythm and delivering" --> "Wow, now it's REALLY hitting its stride and delivering absolute gems, this is amazing" --> "OK, now it's getting too meta and self-referential and getting too far up its own rear end and has kind of jumped the shark" over the course of seven hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXiyeOLguw8

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Why those candles on top of the fish? You call yourselves professionals....

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fateo McMurray posted:

It's a trick of the perspective, the fish just happens to be wearing a tiny sombrero the same colour as the candlestick. :colbert:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fateo McMurray posted:

That's just how they serve fish on Cat Ears Planet :colbert:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's a really tough choice, but Rick Potion #9 was the episode that kind of raised the bar for everything that followed.

Water-T
Changing my vote to Ship - KEEP SUMMER SAFE

"That's what you use my universe for? TO RUN YOUR CAR??!?"
"Yeah, but don't flatter yourself, there's always AAA you loving cocksucker!"

Interdimensional Cable 2. While I did enjoy parts of it, I think it needed less mainline Roiland, a bit more wackiness from everyone. I totally think they should do a third one - I like the idea of this being a yearly thing - I just think that this particular experiment failed, so you adjust and do better.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 6, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The S2 finale. Not only because the it was a great plot and all the jokes hit, but also because all the characters had their ID on full display and it was perfect. Jerry's a worm who craves being ordered around. Beth tries to live up to a standard that she thinks will make Rick stick around, slowly crumbles under the weight of it. Summer lives to be in proximity to popular people. Morty is stuck playing mediator, but also moral center. Rick just doesnt care until he does. Not to say that those things have been absent from the rest of the run, but the finale really put a nice point on all of those aspects while also delivering on the plot.

Zeep from the Ricks Must Be Crazy, but that might be due to Colbert's voice work.

Probably when Beth shot MPB. Also the Beth cloning super Jerrys, then self-congratulatory Jerrys during the marriage counseling episode.

The second cable one. Just expunge it from history.

Going back over some episodes in response to this survey, it makes sense now that the house has blast shields on it. Rick must've known it was just a matter of time until the Galatic Federation caught up with him. Also I wonder what Morty is gonna do with all that tech left behind in Rick's bunker under the garage.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a trick of the perspective, the fish just happens to be wearing a tiny sombrero the same colour as the candlestick. :colbert:

No lie I first noticed it because I thought "why is that fish wearing a hat"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Speaking of details, I didn't notice before that Goddess Beth has a stethoscope and lab flask

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Gotta go with Total Rickall. It starts as a slow burn and becomes all out insanity.

Fart. Partially because it's a funny and interesting character, part because it's Jemaine Clement.

The butter robot.

I'd say the pilot. All the hype disappointed me but I stuck with the shaky beginning. That's to be expected though since the first episode of nearly everything doesn't have its groove yet, so I don't know what could be done to redeem it.

pookerbug posted:

Also, that was a good episode and this is a great show. The minutiae some of you loving whine about...

It's funny to watch people take a show with a character called Mr. PoopyButthole so seriously just because it has mild continuity.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 17, 2016

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

FireWorksWell posted:

Really hard to choose, most of these answers would probably fluctuate for me on any given day.

This is stupid hard but I think I'll have to go with Meeseeks and Destroy since it had such a great B story and in my opinion a really good A story that's representative of the series. Tomorrow I'll probably say Rick Potion #9. It's really a toss up between those two and maybe a few others.

Butter-Bot. "What is my purpose?" "You pass butter." "....oh my God." "Yeah, welcome to the club."

"Puffy vagina"
"W-What’s wrong with that? That doesn’t sound like a problem to me. I don’t know."

Get Schwifty, it was just so :mediocre: compared to the rest. Like I'd almost say Interdimensional Cable 2, but I like the B Plot and I sorta found the fact that the A plot didn't work as well as the first time to be meta-humor. Like, "okay you little shits, you want this again, well this is what you get" it sorta felt like that to me and it still had some good bits like making a plumbus. Get Schwifty needed a better B Plot, probably a completely different one that I can't even conceive or maybe just switch Summer and Jerry, that might've made more sense. The A plot seems okay in my mind asides from pacing issues maybe, like when Morty left something got a little off kilter but I might be wrong about that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Ricks must be Crazy. It escalates from a broken car battery, to a universe within a universe within a universe within said car battery, to Morty going all Avatar, to a man being taunted with a melting clone of his dead son, to Rick building a wooden mech-suit, to world peace being brokered with telepathic spiders.

Zeep "This isn't a loving chocolate factory" Xanflorp. He's Rick only with a moral compass, and a jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold who invents things to help others instead of petty reasons like Rick. My favourite moment is when he realises Rick's Microverse scam as he says to Kyle "That's just slavery with extra steeepppps....."

"Want to cut back to three weeks earlier, you know, when you were still alive?"

Rasing Gazorpazorp was too predictable as it relied on the whole "Women are wiser, men can't keep house" convention without ever challenging the notion or turning it on its head.
Get Schwifty felt too much like a latter-day Simpsons episode with a thin plot that relies too heavily on returning characters. You could substitute Rick with anybody from another TV show and the result would be the same. The plots in Rick and Morty work when they hinge on Rick being Rick (Being a careless mad scientist who doesn't give a poo poo) and Morty being Morty (Tries to do the right thing, finds out the moral choice isn't the right choice)
The second Cable episode. They just let Roiland in front of a Mic and filmed it. Don't make sequel episodes. You can have Mr Meeseeks show up but it doesn't have to be explicitly a Meeseeks episode.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rixty Minutes has the Morty Speech. It would win on that alone.

Michael Krombopulous

"Why don't you ask the smartest people in the universe, Jerry? Oh wait, you can't. They blew up."
Also, Morty Speech.

Get Schwifty didn't do much for me, even with "PLANET EARTH, SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT." I'm still not sure why, though, so can't really suggest a remedy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Ricks must be Crazy. It escalates from a broken car battery, to a universe within a universe within a universe within said car battery, to Morty going all Avatar, to a man being taunted with a melting clone of his dead son, to Rick building a wooden mech-suit, to world peace being brokered with telepathic spiders.

Zeep "This isn't a loving chocolate factory" Xanflorp. He's Rick only with a moral compass, and a jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold who invents things to help others instead of petty reasons like Rick. My favourite moment is when he realises Rick's Microverse scam as he says to Kyle "That's just slavery with extra steeepppps....."

"Want to cut back to three weeks earlier, you know, when you were still alive?"

Rasing Gazorpazorp was too predictable as it relied on the whole "Women are wiser, men can't keep house" convention without ever challenging the notion or turning it on its head.
Get Schwifty felt too much like a latter-day Simpsons episode with a thin plot that relies too heavily on returning characters. You could substitute Rick with anybody from another TV show and the result would be the same. The plots in Rick and Morty work when they hinge on Rick being Rick (Being a careless mad scientist who doesn't give a poo poo) and Morty being Morty (Tries to do the right thing, finds out the moral choice isn't the right choice)e.

I don't even need to make mine now. This pretty much sums it up exactly. Minus the cable episode. I loving love that poo poo and I welcome it forever.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Typical posted:

what were the funny parts of the episode for you guys. I actually didn't find this episode very humorous until seeing the final cut. When I was working on it. it just felt weirdly out of place. like. "this seems too real for rick and morty" . or not in "cannon or something. seeing the final cut made all the difference. Now I really liked it. especially squanchy.

The alternative earths were really great, especially Cob Earth. (since everything down to the atomic level is on the cob, does this mean that this is the fourth time recursion has shown up as a plot element in Rick and Morty?) Tiny Earth and the implications of it (tiny pigs, throwing a frisbee and catching it as it loops around, etc.) were clever and funny.

Everything involving Squanchy. The wedding and reception scenes had a lot of great visual gags. Beth being pedantic about the wedding being romantic but the reception sucking was great.

Galactic Federation-controlled Earth is really interesting and will be a cool way to explore alien-occupied earth, something done a lot in science fiction but I really want to see the Rick and Morty take on it.

Rick getting arrested and put in maximum security alien jail was a punch in the gut but it didn't feel out of place, especially given how Rick and Morty will get real and emotional at points. Enough of a shock that it amplified the emotions but not enough to pull you out of the entire thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also, to add on to my points, the animation in the show is loving killer and it's absolutely gorgeous. The amount of poo poo you put into a frame is kinda mind blowing to me. Once again, I gotta go back to Zim, which was the last time I saw so many creative and cool Aliens running around on screen. Theres's something fun about just looking at all these designs frame by frame and seeing them actually do something rather than just be a thing in the frame. It's a nice attention to detail.

The voice acting is top notch. I have honestly considered getting into it because of this show. I love doing Rick and Morty impressions, but I'd like to maybe try something that isn't established.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This is a really hard question for me, but Meeseeks and Destroy was the first one I watched and the one that got me really into the show. Honestly I don't think any of the episodes that have aired so far were bad or even mediocre.

My favorite is Bird Person, because he and Squanchy were Rick's only real friends. I was hoping we'd get to learn more about Bird Person, Squanchy, and Rick going on adventures and fighting for freedom or whatever but that probably won't be the case. Maybe we'll get a flashback episode?

“Cute, your sister's boss gave me a microscope that would've made me retarded.”
“Woo, oh boy Rick, uh-I-I don't think you're allowed to say that word, you know?”
“Uh, Morty, I'm not disparaging the differently-abled. I'm stating the fact that if I had used this microscope, it would've made me mentally retarded.”
“OK, yeah, but I don't think it's about logic, Rick, I-I think the word has become a symbolic issue for powerful groups that feel like they're doing the right thing.”
"Well that's retarded.”

Interdimensional Cable II, but only because I'm worried about formulaic stuff in this series.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"Shut the gently caress up about moonmen" is a standout line from this season for me.

Also from the same ep., when Fart is talking about how he communicates, he says "What you would call...Jessica's feet...no, telepathy".

Also also, later when Fart is talking to Rick on Gearworld and says "la la la get out of my head stop reading my thoughts" I laughed pretty hard.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I don't really "do" favorites. Preferences change and making something your "favorite" is a bit too committal to me.

That being said, I DO have a few favorite jokes/gags/lines, one being the bad memory of Summer catching Morty masturbating in the kitchen and another being the bad memories that Morty has of Rick, especially that last one when Rick pulls down Morty's pants on the stairs at school. I mean, Rick is standing there laughing with some girls and Morty is crying. Who the gently caress would do that to their grandson?

I guess for favorite side character, I would have to say Birdperson(RIP). I'm REALLY hoping that he isn't dead but who are we kidding? Tammy really did a number on him and they ain't exactly in a super advanced alien hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think Auto-Erotic Assimilation was probably the best ep of the season, followed by Total Rickall and The Ricks Must be Crazy.

• Locked thread