Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Haha this show is retarded with this conspiracy bullshit.

Oh Kate can't just quit

/me makes jerkoff motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Castle used to make fun of the ENHANCE! stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMdXjTn9rc

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I wish they'd just do case-of-the-week after case-of-the-week.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I want Martha and the stepmom to meet. It could be hilarious and awkward, like that Doctor Who episode with Rose and Sarah Jane.

The more I think about it, the less I trust the tech dude. He is totally up to no good.

Tech dude and British pi lady are in cahoots. She 'finds' the gun on the guy he shot and he doesn't call her out on it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Not to mention that the end of Psych has them moving to San Francisco, where he attempts to ingratiate himself with the SFPD only to be told they already have a quirky consulting detective, wink wink.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Argue posted:

Not to mention that the end of Psych has them moving to San Francisco, where he attempts to ingratiate himself with the SFPD only to be told they already have a quirky consulting detective, wink wink.
It's not the same, man. It's just not the same. :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Caros posted:

Tech dude and British pi lady are in cahoots. She 'finds' the gun on the guy he shot and he doesn't call her out on it.

Oh, now that would be an interesting idea.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Aw, I hope not. I like British lady.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Finally got around to seeing Monday's episode and I think it's clinched my desire to never watch this show again. Let's see, how many ways was this episode terrible...

Everything involving guns in this episode was incredibly stupid. We had trained soldiers who can't hit their target in a narrow hallway, and when they get their targets to drop their weapons, they make stupid-rear end quips instead of loving shooting them. We had not one but two instances (in the same standoff even!) where the heroes had the advantage against the bad guys, but still dropped their guns when the bad guys told them to. And of course what saves the day is, as always, something that Castle originally did just to be cool and never actually intended to use seriously. That's fun when the episode is a fun one. This wasn't that.

Everything involving computers in this episode was also incredibly stupid. We had not one but two instances of stupid zoom-enhance bullshit that the show itself made fun of in the past. We had not one but two instances of "hacking" that the show described as though it were some trivial thing that anyone with a computer can pull off flawlessly. We found out that the government keeps all their secret documents in a database that you can basically just Google search. And this SUPER-ULTRA-MEGA-SECRET MEMO THAT HOLDS THE SECRET is... still sitting in the database, untouched, because a shadowy organization that can impersonate attorneys-general, effortlessly modify government records, and hire hit squads without a trace apparently isn't smart enough to delete a loving pdf.

The conspiracy has gone way beyond sensical proportions considering its members' stunning incompetence. Apparently buying one Senate seat with drug money wasn't enough; now we have, what, someone trying to buy the whole government? And despite the ability to do this without getting caught, we have conspirators who can't delete their SUPER-ULTRA-MEGA-SECRET MEMO, who think it's a great idea to murder people who have publicly declared on television to have evidence of said conspiracy, and who contact each other using their personal, traceable cellphones.

And as before, the cherry on the poo poo sundae is stupid loving relationship drama bullshit. We have Castle insisting he trusts Beckett implicitly, while at the same time acting like Beckett is a teenage daughter who has to tell him everything she does and why. We have Beckett saying that she needs some space, which is fine on its own, but then insisting that she has to investigate this conspiracy alone, because they will kill Castle if he knows about it... after he already knows about it. Oh, and by the way, until this case is solved, their marriage just won't work out and they have to be apart. WHAT!? How on earth does that even begin to make sense, beyond the writers deciding that Castle and Beckett aren't allowed to be happy unless it's the end of a season finale?

This is bullshit and I'm done. My wife says she'll keep watching. Maybe she can tell me if something funny happens.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm hoping we get the equivalent of Buffy Season 4: Good individual episodes even though the overall story arc ain't great.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm hoping we get the equivalent of Buffy: Good individual episodes even though the overall story arc ain't great.

Yeah, same.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Calling it now: Castle's missing time will be tied into the whole LokSat thing.

Scene: Castle and Beckett have trailed Evil Mastermind to his super secret volcano lair. They are on a rickety bridge over a pit full of piranhas, acid, spiders, and honey badgers.

Evil Mastermind: Muwahaha.

Beckett: Explain all this!

Evil Mastermind: Why don't you ask your husband?

Castle: (Fillion makes his best "WTF?" face)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Did Castle actually go on a TV program, or was that a red herring to lure out the bad guy?

Did the TV program guy know that, or is he still waiting awkwardly for Castle to come to set?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It was a red herring.

As for the second question, I don't' know but the image of some dude waiting for them to come back from the green room is hilarious. They should have had that as a post-credits stinger, get the bad taste of Beckett's stupid decision out of our mouths.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Aw, I hope not. I like British lady.

Toks Olagundoye was my favorite part of "The Neighbors". Plus she's a stone cold fox.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OOOKay. So now there's a talking AI capable of conversing with people.

I have decided, my theory that Beckett died when she got shot and the rest of the series has been Castle's increasingly insane books should be canon.

Klungar posted:

The sad thing is that early seasons of Castle specifically poked fun at this trope and specifically dealt with not having magic tech and that zooming in on an image didn't increase the resolution.

The show used to be "Castle has some crazy as poo poo idea, Beckett grounds his idea, it puts them on the right track." Then it turned into "Castle has a crazy idea, truth turns out to be crazier." It is literally the inverse formula of what started the show.

In the old days, he'd be convinced it was ninjas and it'd turn out to be not ninjas, but it'd lead them somewhere. Now he'd be convinced it was ninjas and it'd turn out to be super agent ninjas. Also his whole family are now super secret agents.

The "Castle's books" theory is the only thing the explains why the show suddenly went that way. I would be satisfied if the last episode had Castle die, only to zoom out a layer to the real Castle killing his fictional hero version of himself, just like he did in the pilot.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 6, 2015

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So no one watched last nights episode or everyone is still passed out from the massive Molly Quinn fanservice segments.

Which one is it?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I really liked the bits with Castle, Alexis, Ryan, and Esposito. The case was interesting, and their interaction was fun. I like seeing more of Alexis, as opposed to the "hi, bye" moments we had last year. And Castle should wear those glasses all the time. :swoon:

Every time Beckett showed up I wanted to put my foot through the screen. She's completely loving with Castle's head, switching from "I'm a loving wife, let me touch you" to "it's not you, it's me, go away." Poor guy. I can't believe her sheer stupidity in putting Tech Dude in charge of stuff at the NYPD as well as this investigation. :ughh: I really hope he turns out to be a bad guy and this bites her in the rear end big time.

Also, it's obvious they are going to link Castle's disappearance into this overarching plot. It's been mentioned in every episode, to the point where I hear Tom Servo yell, "PLOT POINT!"

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Also, it's obvious they are going to link Castle's disappearance into this overarching plot. It's been mentioned in every episode, to the point where I hear Tom Servo yell, "PLOT POINT!"

I hope not, but the writers have done worse things.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I feel kind of dumb saying this, seeing as I started this thread, but I'm taking a break from the show. The uber big bad/castle-and-beckett separation plot is stupid on many levels. It's cringe-inducing to watch Castle humiliate himself trying to "win back" Beckett while she plays push-me-pull-you with his emotions. Even Ryan and Espo were being nimrods in this week's ep. I only smiled once (Castle saying, "My pony, you can't pet it" when Alexis woke him up). I'll tune back in for the Adam Baldwin episode, but other than that I'm out until the ridiculous separation ends.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Really? I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. I think I laughed more during it than in all the other episodes from this season combined (though to be fair that's not saying much). I agree that the Beckett portions were pretty awful, though, so hopefully they wrap up that plot quickly.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Does Molly Quinn have some sort of Satanic pact going on to have skin like that?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I could've sworn that the preview last week implied that the split would be resolved this week. I feel lied to.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I don't think we're going to get a resolution on the split until the November sweeps/fall finale.

For once I wish I had an account that let me change the thread title. "Castle S8: Deja Vu All Over Again."

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
This has been legitimately bad so far. Baaaaaaad. I think it's time to let it die.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah idk, it seems like they decided to swap out "fun" for "forced castle/beckett drama". Too early in the season to say for sure though, since it's only really been 2 real episodes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This episode was certainly better, and way more fun than any other this season. But I agree, I'm ready for the split to be over. It's forced conflict for it's own sake.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
As someone who skips the Castle/Beckett scenes, I can honestly that I liked the last episode!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The one thing I definitely liked about this episode was that it actually had a scene where Castle figured out whodunit based on what would make the best story. How long has it been since we've seen that on the show?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The dumbest thing about all of this is that Beckett is still there; her moving out isn't actually doing anything. When she left I assumed she'd be, you know, gone? A vast majority of her time seems to still be spent doing things that Castle can still be around for/involved in and her interactions with him are pretty much how they have been since they got together.

The only thing she's really doing different is spending most of her nights/off hours working this case...which she could still do without leaving Castle.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Ouhei posted:

The only thing she's really doing different is spending most of her nights/off hours working this case...which she could still do without leaving Castle.

What boggles me about this is that she somehow thinks that she can find the uber big bad while investigating during her lunch breaks and weekends, and accomplish what dedicated super-spies couldn't. So I guess now we can add delusions of grandeur to her mental issues.

The whole setup is such a rehash of the Beckett's Mom plot, which was wrapped up in S6 and had dragged on far too long by that time anyway, with a helping of the DC arc (which only existed to nudge Castle into a marriage proposal and was promptly forgotten by everyone as soon as it ended). And the combination of humor with heavy relationship drama is creating a very weird tone. Someone described it as a bunch of friends cracking jokes at a funeral; that seems about right. The only thing I've liked is the increased interaction with Castle and Alexis, because that's what got me interested in the show in the first place. (I don't care much about Beckett: I've always found her to be self-absorbed and not nearly as interesting as the show insists that she is.)

I'm ticked because I've always enjoyed the show. It had its stupid moments, but I was able to roll my eyes and move on with no problem. If there isn't a turn-around soon, I'm going to pretend that S7 was the last one.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ouhei posted:

The dumbest thing about all of this is that Beckett is still there; her moving out isn't actually doing anything. When she left I assumed she'd be, you know, gone?

If she wanted less screen time and they wanted a different kind of season, she should have stayed on the lam. Her whole plot would have made WAY more loving sense if she was into something so deep she couldn't even CONTACT the main cast without risk for the majority of the season. Just focus on the cast members who aren't making schedule demands and break her out for the occasional major episode until the end.

It kind of wrote itself. Now it feels like they're half-assedly trying to go back to the "work around the actor" concept they have, instead of the one that fell into their lap.

Ouhei posted:

The dumbest thing about all of this is that Beckett is still there; her moving out isn't actually doing anything. When she left I assumed she'd be, you know, gone? A vast majority of her time seems to still be spent doing things that Castle can still be around for/involved in and her interactions with him are pretty much how they have been since they got together.

But you see super secret agencies won't try to kill your loved ones if you're not living with them, it's magic armor.

Except not only is it not magic armor Castle himself shot one of them and is clearly prodding things even more when left in the dark, so it is a brilliant foolproof idea.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 14, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I thought it was weird that in previous episodes, they always investigate the wife/husband of the deceased to see if their alibi checks out or if there's any evidence that ties them to the crime. Did they even try this episode before going off on the author goose chase?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The one thing I definitely liked about this episode was that it actually had a scene where Castle figured out whodunit based on what would make the best story. How long has it been since we've seen that on the show?

I don't know but I feel like in the time travel episode, he sorta figured out the angles / problems based on a wild / book-worthy theory. That was one of my favorite episodes too.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'll tune back in for the Adam Baldwin episode, but other than that I'm out until the ridiculous separation ends.
I'm so glad he's coming back for another one. I just hope they find a way to use Alan Tudyk before the end of the series. I just know they'd have some great moments together.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Pan Dulce posted:

I thought it was weird that in previous episodes, they always investigate the wife/husband of the deceased to see if their alibi checks out or if there's any evidence that ties them to the crime. Did they even try this episode before going off on the author goose chase?

This show also likes to pull the "yeah we checked the alibi." ... (30 minutes later) ... "it turns out that the alibi the guy gave us was bullshit" card quite a lot, so it doesn't matter if they checked the wife's or not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They also use the "the word on the street is blah blah blah". What street? Who told you that an assassin is gonna be coming through the airport at 9am?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

161st Street and James Conroy, respectively

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GreenNight posted:

They also use the "the word on the street is blah blah blah". What street? Who told you that an assassin is gonna be coming through the airport at 9am?

They heard it from Johnny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
I had watched Castle since season one, but the first episode this season was so mind-numbingly awful I stopped watching it and deleted the series from my DVR. Thank you internet thread for confirming I made the right choice.

• Locked thread