Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Now if only they'd make Punisher MAX (and don't try to pretend Warzone was anywhere close).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ROM the Space Knight Max coming to a netflix near you

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Now if only they'd make Punisher MAX (and don't try to pretend Warzone was anywhere close).

Bernthal allegedly bought Punisher MAX as part of researching the character so we may get shades of that in DD.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

Bernthal allegedly bought Punisher MAX as part of researching the character so we may get shades of that in DD.

That's good to hear, because to me, that is absolutely the definitive Punisher run (until Ennis leaves).

nelson posted:

How the gently caress did that end up in a Marvel book? It seems like something that should have stayed in Japan with their perveted comics.

I don't know, Marvel has that one infamous comic where some satanic transdemensional being impregnates an avenger with mind control, she gives birth to a kid, the kid grows up to be the rapey dude, then they all think it's charming and she goes off with him for another side-order of mind-controlled rape for years, now with the added mother angle.

I'm not really exaggerating, if anything, I'm underselling it. It was kind of hilarious though.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 6, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Couldn't find it in the thread, but this is by far my most favorite teaser they've released yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3s178GW0Q

Dig how it economically it doles out her characterization.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know, Marvel has that one infamous comic where some satanic transdemensional being impregnates an avenger with mind control, she gives birth to a kid, the kid grows up to be the rapey dude, then they all think it's charming and she goes off with him for another side-order of mind-controlled rape for years, now with the added mother angle.

I'm not really exaggerating, if anything, I'm underselling it. It was kind of hilarious though.

*breathing heavily, gnashing teeth with rage* But those loving perverted Japanese...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That would be Avengers #200 by the way.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Do you guys think Purple Man is going to do a Kevin Spacey impression when he monologues to the audience?
"Now watch this, I am going to use my mind controlling powers on this senator"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

That's good to hear, because to me, that is absolutely the definitive Punisher run (until Ennis leaves).

I'm disgusted yet intrigued.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blazing Ownager posted:

That was hosed up in a different way. IIRC that wasn't deliberately wrong and disturbing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dexo posted:

I read it 2 days ago. She says something to the effect of "He would make me watch him raping the random women he found around, but when no one was around to mind control, he would make me beg for it"

He would make her beg for it and then not do it, that was the whole point. Ultimately it's a distinction between comic book mind rape and actual rape and it's maybe not worth arguing over, we don't even know whether the show will have anything similar.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mycot posted:

That was hosed up in a different way. IIRC that wasn't deliberately wrong and disturbing.

Oh yeah that's what made it so hosed up how everyone acted like this was completely normal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mr.capps posted:

Do you guys think Purple Man is going to do a Kevin Spacey impression when he monologues to the audience?
"Now watch this, I am going to use my mind controlling powers on this senator"

First of all, you made me imagine Tennant trying to do a Southern accent and you need to be aware of how bad a person you are for that.

Secondly, I doubt it, but it'd be an interesting take on the comics, given that one of the ways that character is made unnerving in Alias is having him address the reader.

nelson posted:

How the gently caress did that end up in a Marvel book? It seems like something that should have stayed in Japan with their perveted comics.

Except that in this comic it's treated as really hosed up and the whole story is about her getting past it?

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Blazing Ownager posted:

There are no other Punisher runs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jason Aaron's Punisher was good. As was Greg Rucka's.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Rucka's run was stellar and I'm so pissed at Marvel for cutting it short.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mycot posted:

It's worth noting that while THAT comic was totally cool with that poo poo, Claremont called that poo poo out in X-Men just a couple of years later and rebooted Carol. Modern, Corps-inspiring Carol has way more to do with her time as an auxiliary X-man and Binary than it does with her time as an Avenger before that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rucka's run has Marco Checchetto on art too, so it was well written and drawn. It also has that crossover with Spider-Man that produced the greatest panel of all time.

EDIT: Yes, this one.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Test Pattern posted:

It's worth noting that while THAT comic was totally cool with that poo poo, Claremont called that poo poo out in X-Men just a couple of years later and rebooted Carol. Modern, Corps-inspiring Carol has way more to do with her time as an auxiliary X-man and Binary than it does with her time as an Avenger before that.

When Chris Claremont calls your mind control fetish plot hosed up you know something serious has happened.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

X-O posted:

Rucka's run has Marco Checchetto on art too, so it was well written and drawn. It also has that crossover with Spider-Man that produced the greatest panel of all time.

Oh my god Marco Checchetto is amazing I can't even

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HIJK posted:

Oh my god Marco Checchetto is amazing I can't even

I don't get it. Do I need context to understand that panel?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The Punisher's entire family was killed.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh. No, I'm just fanning all over the gorgeous art. Checchetto drew it. Considering most comic art ranges from mediocre to garbage, someone who works so drat hard at producing beautiful images is wonderful.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

If I didn't see the name there, I almost thought that was Big Boss

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A Marvel / Metal Gear Solid crossover where The Punisher and Big Boss are the same person would be pretty dope.

Think about it: a vigilante so great that colonel Striker(stryker?) clones him. Magneto takes in Liquid Punisher, Xavier takes in Solid Punisher, Stryker installs Solidus Punisher as the president. Hawkeye is Revolver Ocelot.

Obviously all the crazy badguys in the MGS universe actually make more sense in the Marvel universe...

edit: ^also, come on, that's the wrong eye.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 7, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
--Venom "Punisher" Snake--

Micro: Boss, look out, it's Bullseye. Stay low and crawl on the ground. That should enable you to sneak past him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Argue posted:

--Venom "Punisher" Snake--

Micro: Boss, look out, it's Bullseye. Stay low and crawl on the ground. That should enable you to sneak past him.

Frank, press the X button! And remember, I'm here if you want to save your game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

If I didn't see the name there, I almost thought that was Big Boss

You're not the first to think that. Gazillion Entertainment gave away a Punisher skin based on that comic and everyone calls it Big Boss Punisher.

The other reason that panel is good is because in the Punisher's first appearance he was trying to kill Spider-Man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Marvel Heroes Symbiote Spidey's quote when Punisher is nearby is "Hey Frank, how's the family?"

I guess one of Spidey's base traits is being a dick to Frank Castle.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There's a free Jessica Drew prequel(Preview comic out.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Marvels-Jessica-Jones-1/digital-comic/293999?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Aphrodite posted:

I guess one of Spidey's base traits is being a dick

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty excited to see Doctor Who as this dark, gritty, Discord-esque ~mind rapist~

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
JJ preview comic suggests Jess's first assignment is tracking down Matt.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HIJK posted:

JJ preview comic suggests Jess's first assignment is tracking down Matt.

Is it similar to the first case in Alias where she ends up tracking Cap?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gyges posted:

Not at all.

The comic is just a 10 page preview, it's in the MCU continuity. It is cool to see what Gaydos does with the TV costume thought, it looks much better than it does irl.

If the tone of the preview comic is the tone of the show, we should be perfectly happy with it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Gyges posted:

Haven't read Alias yet so I can't say but her parting words are "Not a bad day's work. And now there's a guy in Hell's Kitchen dressed as a devil beating people up. OK then..."

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

drat, I'm too ready for this show.

zoux posted:

If the tone of the preview comic is the tone of the show, we should be perfectly happy with it.

Yeah - it's been difficult to tamp down my expectations for this one after what we got with Daredevil, and the general tenor of this preview comic is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, which doesn't make things any easier.

At the risk of reading too much into things, tiny things like the takeout banter between the doctors or the exasperation of the mobsters give me hope regarding how this show will build on what they started with Daredevil, while also being it's own unique and distinct thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not super excited for this, but I really want it to be good, because if it doesn't do as well as DD I will be worried about the future of Iron Fist.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Luke Cage is really the one I'm looking forward to the most (the casting for that once has been on point thus far, too), but given that he's necessarily a significant character in this, too, I can't help but be drawn in. I don't know Colter's work too well, but here's hoping he and Ritter are good on-screen pairing. They've made good picks thus far, so I'm optimistic.

Still waiting on seeing who they cast for Iron Fist, but he's certainly the one out of the four I'm least familiar with, and most curious to see how they'll pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
If they don't go full Mortal Kombat with Iron Fist I'll be disappointed.