Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dante80 posted:

Or, he has two puppies, De la Pena and Holiday.
Which are pretty rad names for puppies if you ask me.

ps: I'm no lawyer but some of that correspondence was pretty sick. Ortwin got trolled hard on this.

I agree with all of this.. weird.

content:

Holy poo poo.

That drat Dsmart letter was about the most personal attack i have ever heard in "professional dialogue"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Isn't that basically the plot of the Wing Commander movie?

It's basically the movie mixed with Prophecy.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

On the topic of "something Derek can predict to prove he's got an insider" wouldn't it also have to be something that CIG couldn't change quickly? Like suppose he says "The next ship reveal is going to be called 'Scimitar' ", all CIG has to do is open up the editor and crow "lolNOPE Derek the new ship is named 'Falchion!' "

Yeah, if he knows the secret sale ship, I'd leave it until a few hours before Citizen Con. I'm expect Vanduul Void Bomber or whatever it's called.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Haha, did golden tickets ever become relevant (other than the gold wing pubbies)?
Do they even exist anymore?
No.

Yes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that among everything else, CIG is also engaging in insider trading of the Grey Market. My reasoning is that so far, CIG decision making has always gone with the dumbest and most short-sighted EXCEPT it has not re-opened the market for limited-released ships. Doing so would be have predictable and disastrous results, but call me a cynic if I don't believe that's the reason CIG is making one smart decision out of a sea of bad ones. Instead, one or a few people at CIG are manipulating the market. Really, what's to stop them from making a new 'limited-release' .jpg out of thin air, and then selling it at huge mark-up on reddit?
Reminder that this exact scenario already happened with Butterfly Labs.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My take is that he wouldn't be doing this if he didn't have access to something that, at least based on what he knows, is significant. Throw away all the bluster and you get a core argument that CIG has wasted incredible amounts of money through terrible management and embezzlement. I think that people within and outside of CIG are talking to him, I think what they're saying is convincing enough to warrant his approach, and I think CIG's response has been so incredibly amateurish and ill-thought that in my eyes it reinforces the suspicion that they're hiding something. I think CIG's attempt to shift the discussion towards Derek Smart and the personal attacks on Sandi (which I personally am inclined to believe) indicate desperation and a complete inability to mount a viable defense against the accusations of waste and mismanagement.

Derek Smart is a very intelligent, very driven, and very resourceful man who is outmaneuvering CIG at every turn. His actions have led to Sandi, Chris, and Ortwin publicly embarrassing themselves multiple times. You do not look good when your VP of marketing is "finding" documents proving she went to college, your attorney is allowing you to publicly posting universally mocked legal threats, and the head of your company is wasting an entire workday trolling Twitter to create the Magnum Opus of logical fallacy Internet arguments. Instead of a week of enthusiasm leading up to what is expected to be the biggest reveal in the history of Star Citizen you have a barrage of attacks and drama shredding your credibility and deflating any enthusiasm that may exist outside of your most addicted supporters. CIG, already forced to ramp up expectations to an impossible level based on their own inability to deliver on prior promises, now faces scrutiny at a level previously impossible to fathom. They must deliver something real and tangible on Saturday or people are going to rightfully crucify them.

If what DS says is true, if CIG doesn't have anything meaningful to give to the backers (meaning FPS, SC 2.0, or SQ 42), then things are going to get much worse. I'm not sure they can recover from another disappointment.

The good news is we won't have to wait long then. I haven't really heard a lot of internet excitement surrounding this con from anyone besides diehard SC loyalists -- and they can use citcoin to torpedo Dr. Smart by showing us something complete and amazing, or it will be another huge disappointment that will completely validate everything Dr. Smart and The Escapist said and add a huge amount of fuel to the fire.

Should be an interesting weekend!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Missed the page, where is this 20k espresso thing coming from?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Kylra posted:

No.

Yes.

Every golden ticket grants you a free cup of espresso at CIG Santa Monica.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Roflan posted:

Or a large number of the worst hair style known to mankind: the balding ponytail.

*walks into a barber shop*

"gimmie a star citizen"

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Wafflz posted:

*walks into a barber shop*

"gimmie a star citizen"

Is that where you pay a poo poo load and just get a photo of a hair cut?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Smart's blog post

Edit: TLDR he said that CRoberts spent $20k of backer money on a cappuccino machine because Chris always wanted one in his blog post somewhere.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

revmoo posted:

Who?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Szcwczuk posted:

Sounds like Dick Wulfe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVRDYTyWHnk

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Derek Smart is a very intelligent, very driven, and very resourceful man who is outmaneuvering CIG at every turn. His actions have led to Sandi, Chris, and Ortwin publicly embarrassing themselves multiple times. You do not look good when your VP of marketing is "finding" documents proving she went to college, your attorney is allowing you to publicly posting universally mocked legal threats, and the head of your company is wasting an entire workday trolling Twitter to create the Magnum Opus of logical fallacy Internet arguments.

This is (sadly) very true. You cannot hope to be taken seriously when you say things like "you know, one of our employees is under 40 and more of them are close to that age", or that "we have 2 people of color working" etc. And then proceed to show token black guys on ATV, employees twitting their mugs close to door RF cards and "spontaneous" confessions of employees telling that everything is ok in the forums. What the gently caress were you thinking?

And how loving sad is it that you are getting trolled and rekt by Derek Smart, of all people (the one guy HISTORICALLY known you should never engage or indulge)? It boggles the mind...

Just, shut up, focus and deliver. Thats all you needed, need and will need to do.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 6, 2015

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

Why would anyone trust DBRB with anything?

Bomber fleets are the only thing he's good with, and even then, its hit or miss. But when he hits, watch the gently caress out.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

And when it collapses and companies start sifting through the debris in bankruptcy court or auction, my guess is that you can probably pick up that $20K (!) cappuccino machine purchased for the new LA office (the one where all work has stopped due to a dispute with one of the contractors), for less than $5K. No, I’m not kidding. They have a $20K cappuccino machine that backers paid for. Because Chris always wanted one. Go ahead, ask him.
:laffo:

e: f;b

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 6, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nah, with dickwulf someone else gets the jpgs.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

My refund seems to be going through, and because of US/NZ exchange rates I'll probably come out better off from the whole thing. Getting $210 for my Colonel package with a Super Hornet

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Ortwin's blood is probably boiling right now lmao. could probably throw some ramen in that poo poo have a nice dinner LOL.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Latest dsmart pile of :words: :words: :words:
http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/10/star-citizen-the-endgame/

Which is mostly just more of the same, but he displays the laughable C&D from Freyermuth, his just as silly thumbing-of-nose back, and lists some insider predictions about CitizenCon.

revmoo posted:

Why rip off grey market people one at a time when you have a $90 million pile of money that there are all sorts of ways to take money out of? Some of them legal even (no law against roberts paying the executives of the company a big salary).

Butterfly labs were small-time idiot crooks.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Szcwczuk posted:

REFUND UPDATE: I opened a new Concierge customer service ticket, and this time actually threatened to do a charge-back if they don't stop stalling. Also asked for twice as much stuff to get refunded. What blows my mind is that even if they renege, I'm still not in the red. In the midst of the rampant grey market speculating, I hadn't mentally processed the insanity of the prices for some of the ships/packages goons were selling off... and that spergs were happily paying. :psypop:

Goredema fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 6, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
DickWolf bought Land & :lesnick: pizza.

He bought Chris Roberts a coffee machine.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

I know some of you are going to the convention. I will honestly pay for your admission ticket (I think it is $60 or so, correct me if I am wrong) if you ask the following question during the Q&A session, good video evidence required:

"Considering that the conversion rate of USD to UEC is 1:1000, when the game releases, if I wanted the first-class section of my Genesis Starliner to have an espresso machine, will I have to pay 20mil UEC or are they cheaper in the future?"

I will use paypal or whatever you feel comfortable with.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Dante80 posted:

And then proceed to show token black guys on ATV...

Who was wearing a cap with MONEY in gold on it... Maybe I'm oversensitive from spending too much time on political sites but that seemed worse than having him on as the token black guy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Timby posted:

It's basically the movie mixed with Prophecy.

And of Wing Commander Secret Ops. And Wing Commander 3. And 4. Roberts has one story and it's 'Carrier on lone mission behind enemy lines with rogue protagonist mistrusted by high command'.

Now Wing Commander Saga (the Freespace 2 total conversion) had issues, but their story was 'Carrier battle group fighting on the front-lines' and they totally captured that 'small cog in a vast military' motif that Freespace 2 had and took it to the WC universe.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Which ship has the coffee maker in it? It's one of them I remember an old post about it.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Roflan posted:

Who was wearing a cap with MONEY in gold on it... Maybe I'm oversensitive from spending too much time on political sites but that seemed worse than having him on as the token black guy.

Yep, the only thing missing was:

Edit:
The Redeemer had a coffee maker.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Gary "Goddamn Amazing" Oldman is wasted on this shitshow.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

AP posted:

Which ship has the coffee maker in it? It's one of them I remember an old post about it.

I think it was this jpeg.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
The Redeemer has a coffee machine.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm the guy who happily paid for 2/20ths of Chris Roberts' expresso machine and will probably give him more money by the end of citizencon

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Live from CitCon HQ: THE GAME IS OUT (of the question).

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

My payment post above is also valid if you ask a similar question about upgrading the Redeemer's coffee machine to an espresso machine (video evidence still required for payment)

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
After a second email they finally acknowledged my refund request (not granting it, just acknowledging it) and specifically asked "Also to help with our records, is/are there any press article/s that you can cite that prompted this request. We greatly appreciate the time taken to answer."

I'm the furthest thing from a lawyer, but it's kinda funny how obvious it is that they're trying to pin a "damages" number to DS's/The Escapists war march.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that among everything else, CIG is also engaging in insider trading of the Grey Market. My reasoning is that so far, CIG decision making has always gone with the dumbest and most short-sighted EXCEPT it has not re-opened the market for limited-released ships. Doing so would be have predictable and disastrous results, but call me a cynic if I don't believe that's the reason CIG is making one smart decision out of a sea of bad ones. Instead, one or a few people at CIG are manipulating the market. Really, what's to stop them from making a new 'limited-release' .jpg out of thin air, and then selling it at huge mark-up on reddit?

It's an interesting theory, but the grey market is tiny. Selling an expensive ship on there can take days to weeks, and the dozen or so major traders all know each other. Even if CIG was doing this intentionally, it would be a miniscule amount of income compared to the daily backing. It would be like organizing the entire Trans-Pacific Partnership so you can price gouge at two dealerships in New Jersey.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MrDorf posted:

After a second email they finally acknowledged my refund request (not granting it, just acknowledging it) and specifically asked "Also to help with our records, is/are there any press article/s that you can cite that prompted this request. We greatly appreciate the time taken to answer."

I'm the furthest thing from a lawyer, but it's kinda funny how obvious it is that they're trying to pin a "damages" number to DS's/The Escapists war march.

Tell them it was chris and ortwin's responses.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I actually submitted my refund request a little over a week ago, before all this recent insanity even started, and I told them as much. I also added that all the recent bad press has just reinforced the decision.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I've also requested a refund. Don't expect it to happen, but :shrug:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

SirPhoebos posted:

On the topic of "something Derek can predict to prove he's got an insider" wouldn't it also have to be something that CIG couldn't change quickly? Like suppose he says "The next ship reveal is going to be called 'Scimitar' ", all CIG has to do is open up the editor and crow "lolNOPE Derek the new ship is named 'Falchion!' "

You can demonstrate advance knowledge without revealing it ahead of time by using encryption:
Make a prediction, encrypt it and publish the encrypted prediction. Then when the prediction comes to pass, publish the decryption key so that everyone can decrypt the original statement and see that it was indeed correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

illectro posted:

You can demonstrate advance knowledge without revealing it ahead of time by using encryption:
Make a prediction, encrypt it and publish the encrypted prediction. Then when the prediction comes to pass, publish the decryption key so that everyone can decrypt the original statement and see that it was indeed correct.

Not everyone is a super nerd hacker.

We just play ones on the internet, just like we play being lawyers, business gurus, game developers, and starship captains.

• Locked thread