Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

illectro posted:

You can demonstrate advance knowledge without revealing it ahead of time by using encryption:
Make a prediction, encrypt it and publish the encrypted prediction. Then when the prediction comes to pass, publish the decryption key so that everyone can decrypt the original statement and see that it was indeed correct.

If Derek even hints at knowing the name of the upcoming ship, they will most likely scramble to rename it just to head off any possible chance of him being right. Your suggestion wouldn't really fly in their paranoia and eagerness to prove him wrong .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

AP posted:

I think Smart is right about pretty much everything, but the 8 million is wrong, they'll have a fair bit more in Europe and there's no sign of anyone leaking to him from Europe, plus they made a million in the past week. There's no signs of funding slowing, Citizen Con, then November sales.

It really depends on how they are structuring things. The CIG UK group may have received all the cash from the website since February 2015 but in all likelihood CIG US are invoicing the UK group for management fees and moving the money around however they please.

At some point they must have had a pretty big pile of cash. If the businesses had say $40 million in cash and monthly expenditure of say $4 million, you would probably want to have $30 million+ working for you. So their reserves could be in a single restricted access deposit account. It's hard to imagine someone that is supposed to have access to that information leaking it though.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

SirPhoebos posted:

On the topic of "something Derek can predict to prove he's got an insider" wouldn't it also have to be something that CIG couldn't change quickly? Like suppose he says "The next ship reveal is going to be called 'Scimitar' ", all CIG has to do is open up the editor and crow "lolNOPE Derek the new ship is named 'Falchion!' "

I'm beginning to suspect that among everything else, CIG is also engaging in insider trading of the Grey Market. My reasoning is that so far, CIG decision making has always gone with the dumbest and most short-sighted EXCEPT it has not re-opened the market for limited-released ships. Doing so would be have predictable and disastrous results, but call me a cynic if I don't believe that's the reason CIG is making one smart decision out of a sea of bad ones. Instead, one or a few people at CIG are manipulating the market. Really, what's to stop them from making a new 'limited-release' .jpg out of thin air, and then selling it at huge mark-up on reddit?

My source is the drunk homeless guy that yells at me when I walk from the train station to work.
And sack Gary Oldman :smith:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Wulfling posted:

If Derek even hints at knowing the name of the upcoming ship, they will most likely scramble to rename it just to head off any possible chance of him being right. Your suggestion wouldn't really fly in their paranoia and eagerness to prove him wrong .

If he doesn't even hint what the prediction is about, then they have to decide what they are going to change, if anything and worry about it for a few days.

Then after Citizen Con he can reveal it was the menu for what he planned to have for Sunday lunch.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Wulfling posted:

He doesn't even have to SAY what the prediction is - he posts
code:
807098f0c8cee85292026d0e94168bdbfb05299899494a8e38a41fce2e97aa3d
On twitter. Then after the Scimitar goes on sale for $1250 LTI, he notes that's the SHA-256 hash for 'The next ship will be named the Scimitar.' - which is instantly verifiable.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Alchenar posted:

And of Wing Commander Secret Ops. And Wing Commander 3. And 4. Roberts has one story and it's 'Carrier on lone mission behind enemy lines with rogue protagonist mistrusted by high command'.
Which by his own admissions is riffing right off the US vs Japan carrier warfare from WW2 and then mixed in with Niven sci-fi stuff.

quote:

“The Terran Confederation is the U.S. Navy and Marines, and the Kilrathi are the Japanese,” Roberts said. “That’s one of the reasons why the Kilrathi are meant to be this warrior, superior race, [with] their very sort of bushido code: don’t take prisoners, [and] it’s more honorable to die fighting than to surrender.”

For the design of the Kilrathi, Roberts drew inspiration from a warrior feline race called the Kzin, in Larry Niven’s Ringworld series. “I liked the idea of the power and the aggression of big cats,” said Roberts. “And then I started to come up with the name and it was like, ‘Okay, well, they kill a lot, and you know, there’s a lot of wrath to them,’ so that’s where ‘Kilrathi’ came from.”

There's also this quote.

2011 posted:

“These engines, whether it’s Unreal engine or CryEngine, you can use as a baseline. I could build my own engine…but in today’s world I wouldn’t do that. I’m not sure it’s worth it [rather] than spending my time in making a better gameplay experience and building cool content.

“I’m actually taking a look at the game business now and I see it a bit more like the movie business,” Roberts said. “There are more stable tools, and there’s certainly a much bigger talent base…it just sort of feels like you can do very ambitious, high-end projects and not have to take five years to do them. You can get one done in two years or something. [To] do something pretty special in two years, that hits my creative sweet spot.”

You get the feeling he feels that these game engines by themselves are what makes for the cool scenes he sees in-game, not the hours upon hours of creating assets and animations which then have to be fine tuned and wrangled into position. He freely admits he just wants to make movies, but seems to always be battling up against his own ambitions and the few resources given to him. And it's always someone else's fault that it fails.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alternately, he can release the name a hour or two before Citizen Con. It's likely that they have video and graphics of the new ship, with embedded text, or even physical signage which would be hard to change in that time. And real time editing would likely be noticeable.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Wow those models are awful. They really aren't trying very hard if that's what the 3d looks like.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Alternately, he can release the name a hour or two before Citizen Con. It's likely that they have video and graphics of the new ship, with embedded text, or even physical signage which would be hard to change in that time. And real time editing would likely be noticeable.

They can literally make up anything they want right before the reveal. They're already selling poo poo with no jpegs, just a name. lol.

I'd rather see one or all of their big name actors drop out because of the racism and other accusations.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Roflan posted:

Who was wearing a cap with MONEY in gold on it... Maybe I'm oversensitive from spending too much time on political sites but that seemed worse than having him on as the token black guy.

:mrgw:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

If Smart really has insider connections to CIG shouldn't it be easy to get a general description of the ship?

If Derek says the new ship is a "heavy dogfighter" or something it doesn't matter what croberts is gonna call it.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

quote:

LEGAL THREATS, POSTURING & INTIMIDATION

“This section of the blog contained a lot of material that legal felt were best removed as they were suited in a legal complaint. So it’s a bit skinny from the original version“.

Proceeds to write 15 paragraphs.

god drat ... Derek Smart.. you loving deliver dood.. Derek Smart is the ALPHA Goon. The one we need AND deserve.

quote:

In fact, only an incompetent media person would use me as a source

SEE DEREK can be humble!

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

kikkelivelho posted:

If Smart really has insider connections to CIG shouldn't it be easy to get a general description of the ship?

If Derek says the new ship is a "heavy dogfighter" or something it doesn't matter what croberts is gonna call it.

Well, he has to take it slow you know. Can't give it all away at once. We already got the incredible coffee machine story unveiling. Pfft.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I know the ship. But I am not going to reveal that information. Sorry. I didn't write that section to ruin surprises; that's why I only stated the obvious and based on stuff that was already hinted at or speculated on.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Darkpriest667 posted:

Proceeds to write 15 paragraphs.

god drat ... Derek Smart.. you loving deliver dood.. Derek Smart is the ALPHA Goon. The one we need AND deserve.

You do realize being the "Alpha goon" is not really something anybody would want, right?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

I know the ship. But I am not going to reveal that information. Sorry. I didn't write that section to ruin surprises; that's why I only stated the obvious and based on stuff that was already hinted at or speculated on.

What's in the other letter that was sent to cr?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

D_Smart posted:

Derek, thank you for all your work on this. It brings me a little slice of joy while I wait for the Xbox One to implode.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Hopper posted:

You do realize being the "Alpha goon" is not really something anybody would want, right?

We can create a new title for Derek Smart if you like.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Derek, question:

Could you ask LEGAL if there is any chance or ground to stand on to have a class action lawsuit? They've sold a product to nearly a million people that hasn't been delivered.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
have some loving self respect and change your goddamn avatar darkpriest

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darkpriest667 posted:

Derek, question:

Could you ask LEGAL if there is any chance or ground to stand on to have a class action lawsuit? They've sold a product to nearly a million people that hasn't been delivered.

They're offering refunds. And I think it's only like a small percentage of people that are leaving the cult.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Darkpriest667 posted:

The thing about class action lawsuits is that they're set up by lawyers who are doing the work on spec that they can get a big payday out of the settlement at the end.

If there is no money left when CIG admits that their game is a incomplete wreck, there's nothing for the lawyers to take. Any hypothetical suits would want to be done against the executives personally if you wanted to actually get anything out of it other than satisfaction. And I don't you can bring a class-action against an individual.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

The UEE Litigator

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Did you see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

Just to check: when you say Squadron 42 is 15 months out from release, do you mean the release of the first episode, or completion of all planned episodes? I just want it to be clear later.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SirPhoebos posted:

On the topic of "something Derek can predict to prove he's got an insider" wouldn't it also have to be something that CIG couldn't change quickly? Like suppose he says "The next ship reveal is going to be called 'Scimitar' ", all CIG has to do is open up the editor and crow "lolNOPE Derek the new ship is named 'Falchion!' "

Decrepus posted:

It is going to be the Vanduul Lu Bu triple-halberd.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
:siren: Bring back the Smart Room! :siren:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hakimashou posted:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

hakimashou posted:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Do something like this?

Cuntpunch posted:

He doesn't even have to SAY what the prediction is - he posts
code:
807098f0c8cee85292026d0e94168bdbfb05299899494a8e38a41fce2e97aa3d
On twitter. Then after the Scimitar goes on sale for $1250 LTI, he notes that's the SHA-256 hash for 'The next ship will be named the Scimitar.' - which is instantly verifiable.
Then you wouldn't "spoil" anything and would also gain credibility.

Tarranon posted:

have some loving self respect and change your goddamn avatar darkpriest
No.

hakimashou posted:

Yes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can someone tl;dr the new Derek Smart post, please?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shala posted:

The UEE Litigator

Piloted by Darek Stupid.

e: I will be very disappointed if Derek's AV doesn't turn into an animated forums smilie by the end of all this.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

I said come in! posted:

"That's not a knife, THAT'S a knife."

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Croberts paid 13 Octopodes for something that most people only pay 30-40 burgers for

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

I hope you will at least stick around here through Citizen Con this time. Your run-time commentary on the proceedings would surely be hilarious.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Croberts paid 13 Octopodes for something that most people only pay 30-40 burgers for
More of these posts please.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

The problem is that there's no proof you knew before hand.

Also you keeping saying that you've released 25% of what's out there and there's terrible stuff in the other 75%. Why don't you release everything you have? Why would you let more people be taken in by the sales at Citcon when you could stop it? Why would you let more people be taken in with the anniversary sale when you can stop it?

I'm guessing they'll throw the hail Mary and sell the F4.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
If you're spending 20k for an espresso maker, you're also spending another 2k for a top end coffee grinder too. You can get a really good one for 1k, but you can also get a really good espresso maker for 2k... so my guess is that they probably bought a Mazzer Kony or Hahlkonig EK43...because why the gently caress not.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

WhyteRyce posted:

croberts should not have spent 13 backer octopodes, but lol to pay 30-40 burgers for an espresso machine, unless it is a joke gift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Iron Tusk posted:

The problem is that there's no proof you knew before hand.

Also you keeping saying that you've released 25% of what's out there and there's terrible stuff in the other 75%. Why don't you release everything you have? Why would you let more people be taken in by the sales at Citcon when you could stop it? Why would you let more people be taken in with the anniversary sale when you can stop it?

I think the joke is you don't lay your cards out when you are filing a lawsuit.

The other joke is he says he is filing a lawsuit.

• Locked thread