Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The main thing Supergirl has going for it is that like Flash they nailed it by casting a really likable lead. But unfortunately like Flash and Arrow they have writers that really struggle to write natural sounding dialogue. And unlike those two shows they don't really have anything they can shift attention to in order to hide those deficits. As bad as the stuff in Flash and Arrow is at times the stuff in the Supergirl pilot is on another level of bad. Where they stumble over references to her cousin without saying his name just to see how clumsily they can fit references in. And how they spend a majority of the pilot hitting you over the head with the "Girls can do cool stuff too!" hammer in a way that's almost completely counterproductive. It's only a pilot so some pilot-itis is expected. That being said even though it's not good it's nowhere near as bad as the trailer makes it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Does the pilot suggest that Superman is specifically Man of Steel Superman, or is it just some generic Superman?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Does the pilot suggest that Superman is specifically Man of Steel Superman, or is it just some generic Superman?

He is specifically not Man of Steel Superman. He's been Superman in public for something like 12 years in this universe and is still active. Which is going to make it really weird when he never shows up to help out his cousin seeing as how he's Superman and all. He's referenced like 20 times in the pilot but only once by name in the first couple minutes. The rest of the time he's called everything from "my cousin" to "the superlative man" and it gets old really fast.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 6, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

X-O posted:

He is specifically not Man of Steel Superman. He's been Superman in public for something like 12 years in this universe.

Boring, but thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ABC Family is getting the millstone off it's neck.

quote:

ABC Family is undergoing a name change and rebranding. Starting in January 2016, the channel will be called Freeform.

The new name, according to ABC Family president Tom Ascheim, "evokes the spirit and adventure of our audience. Freeform will deliver new, exciting original content as well as all the favorite shows our viewers already love on ABC Family."

The change will mark the first time since the late 1908s that "Family" hasn't been part of the channel's name. The channel was started by religious broadcaster Pat Robertson, who sold it to Fox in 1998. Disney bought it in 2001 and renamed it ABC Family. (Per a long-standing agreement, Robertson's talk show "The 700 Club" will still air on Freeform.)

Freeform will target people ages 14-34, a group it calls "Becomers." (You may know them now as "Millennials.") ABC Family's signature shows, including "Pretty Little Liars" and "The Fosters" will continue to air.

I'm not calling them becomers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

As a 32 year old, "becomers" is a god awful name I'll fight against.

Millennials is fine.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

thrawn527 posted:

As a 32 year old, "becomers" is a god awful name I'll fight against.

Millennials is fine.

Manchild seems like a more accurate classification

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Freeform? Becomers? Fire the people that came up with those.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Freeform? Becomers? Fire the people that came up with those.

I'm sorry but those are the only words that evoke the spirit and adventure of our audience. Blame the English language.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

First time since the 1908s that it won't have family in the name? Man Pat Robertson might be right about man riding dinosaurs if he had tv in 1908.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Much like SyFy, you'll forget Freeform is a terrible name soon, mostly because you don't watch anything on that channel anyway.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Much like SyFy, you'll forget Freeform is a terrible name soon, mostly because you don't watch anything on that channel anyway.

We'll never forget what a bad name FXX is though

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

thrawn527 posted:

Millennials is fine.

Milennial is just as lovely and manufactured, it just came first. And considering that I've seen it applied to everything from people in their late thirties to toddlers it's utterly useless as anything other than a perjorative.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Milennial is just as lovely and manufactured, it just came first. And considering that I've seen it applied to everything from people in their late thirties to toddlers it's utterly useless as anything other than a perjorative.

Fortunately that's all it's needed for.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sleeveless posted:

Any term is manufactured, and every naming of a generation anywhere near its life is just an attempt by someone to decide that those birthdates are somehow important or unique.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa check out the credits for the new X-Files

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not that I've watched ABC Family in years anyway (except maybe here and there for the occasional rerun of an old sitcom), but changing a network's name to something dumb like that is a good way to get me to never watch it again.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bruceski posted:

Minority Report episode 1: "We're being a little fascist but it's to stop a terror attack"
Episode 2: "We're bending over backwards to not be fascist, and if we had been fascists we'd have arrested the wrong guy."
Episode 3: "Our sorta-fascist precog agrees with the INCREDIBLY fascist computer algorithm, so it's time to go peak Police State on this guy to save a life!"

I dislike shows hammering home a moral message as much as the next guy, but the tone's been all over the place.
It doesn't even go full stupid towards either giving the PKD story or the movie the middle finger (I never read or watched Minority Report). Not to mention the show really just tip toes around all the themes it has and just goes full on cop show. There are better plain-rear end cop shows to be watched, why make a sci-fi cop show if you're gonna do nothing with the sci-fi part except waste money on CGI?

The only interesting part of the show is the sister precog being able to see them being sent back to work in secret and maybe the lady cop is involved, but across 3 episodes they've spent maybe less than 10 minutes on it. The show doesn't seem like it wants to go anywhere.

I watched the third episode just recently and it felt all over the place. It just ran with the fact that you mash two things that predict crime together and come out with ... something confusing.

At least with something like POI that also does the predictive crime angle, there's still an element of mystery to it (it's gonna happen, but the one clue you get you can't be sure if they do the crime or suffer the crime), and they just fully admit the prediction is 100% correct but it's up to the cast (and by extension the viewer) to discover the human element of it.

I think The Player might also fall into that trap a bit as MR might, but at least the main character questions the point/use of predictive crime systems and it seems to be edging further into crazy plot conspiracy territory instead, but who knows what that will produce.

X-O posted:

The main thing Supergirl has going for it is that like Flash they nailed it by casting a really likable lead. But unfortunately like Flash and Arrow they have writers that really struggle to write natural sounding dialogue. And unlike those two shows they don't really have anything they can shift attention to in order to hide those deficits. As bad as the stuff in Flash and Arrow is at times the stuff in the Supergirl pilot is on another level of bad. Where they stumble over references to her cousin without saying his name just to see how clumsily they can fit references in. And how they spend a majority of the pilot hitting you over the head with the "Girls can do cool stuff too!" hammer in a way that's almost completely counterproductive. It's only a pilot so some pilot-itis is expected. That being said even though it's not good it's nowhere near as bad as the trailer makes it out to be.
Yeah, I'm sure Benoist will be awesome and basically carry the show but I'm sure the writing will, like Flash and Arrow, eventually poo poo the bed somewhere down the line.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sleeveless posted:

"Those who came of age around the time of the new millennium" isn't all that arbitrary or manufactured, and at least has some meaning, as opposed to "becomers".

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

What the hell kind of devil contract does the 700 Club have to run in perpetuity the way it has? Does it ever EXPIRE? Every other channel gets to air shows in syndication or re-runs, at least drat infomercials. The 700 Club is terrible.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
ABC Freeform just makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IOPQ3SQ15w

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goddamn I wish that TV by the Numbers, as the major clearinghouse for ratings information, didn't have the worst layout and web design in the history of mankind.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

It also dropped another tenth in the demo to .7.

:psyduck: I'm surprised it hasn't been cancelled yet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Perfect. It seems like they're doing mostly right by this new revival, it's really weird considering how hard they bungled that last movie and how little people cared about it, it wasn't even that long ago.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Glad that Squeeze outfit lives on.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

zoux posted:

Goddamn I wish that TV by the Numbers, as the major clearinghouse for ratings information, didn't have the worst layout and web design in the history of mankind.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

thrawn527 posted:

"Those who came of age around the time of the new millennium" isn't all that arbitrary or manufactured, and at least has some meaning, as opposed to "becomers".

Fair enough, but then gen-x, baby boomers, the silent generation, the greatest generation.
And where do you draw the boundaries? Should they be of reasonable age to remember the turn of the millennium? Do they need to be born before? After? Somewhere you're arbitrarily drawing a line.

*Baby boomers are a little less arbitrarily defined in dates, since the term is referencing a social phenomenon when birth rates changed--the two ideas are pretty centrally linked; these are the people born as a direct result of this social phenomenon that itself resulted in an abnormal birthrate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

X-O posted:

Callista Flockheart's "Girl? What's wrong with 'girl'? You're the real sexist here" was insanely terrible. Follow that up with evil guy reporting back to base with "Another one of them survived, and its a female*spits in disgust" and you really have to wonder how invested they are in the dialogue.

Plus, no one at the top levels seems to really know what their plan is. First it was ironclad that Supergirl was completely separate from the CW stuff, then network execs starting being vague, and after The Flash's insane ratings suddenly the idea of a crossover isn't getting completely dismissed as CBS execs talk about how it could be possible but only in network "this doesn't mean anything" jargon.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CBS only picked it up because CW passed on Supergirl cause they weren't so sure if putting their eggs in the comic book basket would work out. But then it did so that's the problem. Should've just tried the same trick with Supergirl after a season of The Flash first to be sure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The man has a point. Although it makes their original proposed name of "ZYX" seem less terrible by comparison.
I wonder how they managed to get out of having to keep "Family" in the name.

less laughter posted:

We'll never forget what a bad name FXX is though

FXX is not only a bad name, but was also a bad idea in general.

I'm still trying to figure out why they decided to launch a channel that they had (and still have) barely any content for.
See also: The Esquire Channel, which is only good for Ninja Warrior reruns.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Rename it to The Simpsons Channel and show nothing but Simpsons episodes. It's almost like FXX now, but better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

See also: The Esquire Channel, which is only good for Ninja Warrior reruns.

Esquire was G4. Had to do something with it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

X-O posted:

The rest of the time he's called everything from "my cousin" to "the superlative man" and it gets old really fast.

Just caught this edit.

Is the speaker at least making a jerk-off motion when they refer to him as "the superlative man"?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Just caught this edit.

Is the speaker at least making a jerk-off motion when they refer to him as "the superlative man"?

Pretty sure it was Cat Grant, and like everything out of her mouth the entire episode it was terrible and possibly meant to be terrible, so I don't know. The dialogue was so bad at times I was actually wondering if it was supposed to be bad or not especially with her character.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Becomers is stupid because its meaningless and sounds retarded hth

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

It's so bad, y'all, in the second episode a zombie shows up on a dog sled and a zombie dog gets loose and DJ Qualls has to fight it. I cannot believe how much DJ Qualls is in the show.

Dude don't listen to anyone's opinion here we're all terrible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

Dude don't listen to anyone's opinion here we're all terrible.

I mean we're all horrible yeah but only the Ryan Murphy apologists are truly the worst.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

I mean we're all horrible yeah but only the Ryan Murphy apologists are truly the worst.

Ryan Murphy only has victims...he doesn't have apologists.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Can someone effort post a Homeland thread? I can only post from my phone until I move at the end of the month. It's kinda hosed up that 24 had huge threads but now there's nothing for the new season of Homeland. I can't be the only one here that still likes the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

pentyne posted:

Callista Flockheart's "Girl? What's wrong with 'girl'? You're the real sexist here" was insanely terrible. Follow that up with evil guy reporting back to base with "Another one of them survived, and its a female*spits in disgust" and you really have to wonder how invested they are in the dialogue.

Plus, no one at the top levels seems to really know what their plan is. First it was ironclad that Supergirl was completely separate from the CW stuff, then network execs starting being vague, and after The Flash's insane ratings suddenly the idea of a crossover isn't getting completely dismissed as CBS execs talk about how it could be possible but only in network "this doesn't mean anything" jargon.

No one knows what WB corporate wants with Supergirl so they might have played hardball with them

• Locked thread