Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Ehh, being the last scum left in that sort of game would suck, actually. I wouldn't want to do it that way.

I'll keep thinking about it but it probably won't work.

I may run a regular temple game though. Those are fun to read, even if some people got disgruntled in the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's a temple game?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Podima posted:

What's a temple game?

I've decided to run one soon so you'll be able to find out!

But here's a previous game, the rules are in the second post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417363

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Okay, so I have thinking about mixing Mafia, resistance and one other thing, so there's regular mafia executions and nightkills, wins by elimination of opposing team or majority. Then there are day events where a team is selected and you win by having more event victories. Then theres the third which I haven't figured out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Amoeba102 posted:

Okay, so I have thinking about mixing Mafia, resistance and one other thing, so there's regular mafia executions and nightkills, wins by elimination of opposing team or majority. Then there are day events where a team is selected and you win by having more event victories. Then theres the third which I haven't figured out.

Strip Mafia

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Soo a Civgame?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Announcing a new temple game with very lazy flavor. Watchmen Temple Mafia, a game for 12 players is open!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Strip Mafia

Team with the most clothes on wins.

Nah I need some sort of active mechanic that works around voting or selection of some kind. I was thinking just having it as two uninformed teams that are50/50 and the one with the most left at the end wins, but that's basically random since no one has information.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I am seeking one replacement for Slack Mafia. It is currently Night 1. So far, the amount of activity has been comparable to a normal forums game and the game seems to be a lovely success. With one enthusiastic and active replacement, it'll be even better! Please PM me an email address, and feel free to use a throwaway and create a ~secret mystery identity~ in the game on Slack.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Still one full team available for Watchmen Temple Mafia! Grab some luddite, set him down at a computer, teach him the rules of mafia, buy him an SA account and then manipulate his mafia infancy!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I am seeking one more replacement for Slack Mafia. It is currently Day 3. 9 alive, 1 Scum lynched. So far, the amount of activity has been comparable to a normal forums game and the game seems to be a lovely success. With one enthusiastic and active replacement, it'll be even better! Please PM me an email address, and feel free to use a throwaway and create a ~secret mystery identity~ in the game on Slack.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Is there ever value for having a death miller in a game? Trying to brainstorm, and I don't really see any tactical advantage in a game's balance for it. Is it just mod fuckery?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

Is there ever value for having a death miller in a game? Trying to brainstorm, and I don't really see any tactical advantage in a game's balance for it. Is it just mod fuckery?

It's the easiest way of tasting those sweet mafia player tears

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I just played a game with a vengeful Miller and it was really hilarious in the end.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

Like rarity said hilarity.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kashuno posted:

I just played a game with a vengeful Miller and it was really hilarious in the end.

It really seems like a logical upgrade to the role.

Sure, people are going to try and lynch you for being a Miller, but then you get to make a stab at scum attempting to take advantage of the situation. I would consider the role to still be a net negative utility.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've got some good roles in my back pocket, but I never want to talk about them until they've seen play because I think some roles benefit from surprise.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've got some good roles in my back pocket, but I never want to talk about them until they've seen play because I think some roles benefit from surprise.

agreedo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Vengeful Miller is one of the best roles I've seen recently, that poo poo was awesome

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
while I don't disagree I think it would have been better had that been Pig's role from the start of the game, since the mid-game role grab-bag really futzed with the entire game's balance.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The Death Miller is a vital role for ~lore~

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Reminder that I'm still looking for sign-ups for ADD Mafia, a 9 player game with 1 IRL day long game days.

its cool trust me

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

while I don't disagree I think it would have been better had that been Pig's role from the start of the game, since the mid-game role grab-bag really futzed with the entire game's balance.

Yeah, that no-lynch and the lack of posting should have been preserved at all costs. :rolleye:

But you're right. Abilities should have been there from the beginning.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Met posted:

Yeah, that no-lynch and the lack of posting should have been preserved at all costs. :rolleye:

But you're right. Abilities should have been there from the beginning.

if the town can't get posting there are lots of things you as a mod can do; giving everyone a power role is one of them, I guess, but it seriously threw off the balance for the whole game.

and to be clear it didn't even help the problem - players didn't actually start posting more or playing mafia, they were just mindlessly following their roles. the game was sorta "playing itself." the only significant act of agency was at the very end with Pig's vengeful gambit (which was well-performed but also rather mechanical and rote).

in the future, prods and replacements are a standard for a reason. modkills are always good too (multiple players seemed totally content to *be* modkills so you wouldn't have even risked their ire). changing the execution style might help as well (making it plurality, or a lights-out-esque doomwall or something). and if all else fails, letting the town lose is also acceptable - if they can't muster together a vote it's ultimately their problem.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Everyone gets a Dayvig
, a setup for any amount of players is now taking signups.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

What's even the right way to play Death Miller? Openly claim at the start of the game and force them to lynch you? Anything else short of making sure you last to endgame seems like it would work against you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DuckHuntDog posted:

What's even the right way to play Death Miller?
Replace out.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you put a death miller in your game you are a bad person.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
pretend you're a jester

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Who would play Quote Mafia, where your role is a prolific mafia player, and you can only text-communicate by quoting a post of that player's, or parts of a quote?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Poison Mushroom posted:

Who would play Quote Mafia, where your role is a prolific mafia player, and you can only text-communicate by quoting a post of that player's, or parts of a quote?

Where does the initial feed of text come from? Outside threads?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DuckHuntDog posted:

Votefinder and the Archives Upgrade.

Honestly, I might just make Post Restriction Mafia and make that a PR.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
In Star Trek: TNG my Q role had a task where he had to mimic another player in the game and his goal was to have someone guess correctly. He tried to mimic Taste, but nobody guessed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

World of Warcraft, a closed-setup role moderate game for 16 players is now accepting signups.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745537

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is a much better (read: awesome) idea.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Votefinder and the Archives Upgrade.

make it transformers mafia and make that bumblebee's role

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DuckHuntDog posted:

jerkcity.txt

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Poison Mushroom posted:

This sounds hilarious and amazing and I'd totally play.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Captain Foo posted:

jerkcity.txt

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've been wanting to play a game with a voluntary PR where all my posts are quotes from derp but I just haven't found the right game yet :(