Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If there is a class-action lawsuit that somehow ends in CIG having to pay restitution, how is that gonna pan out? Just automatic refunds or can one get mad paper out of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

They're going to do planetary landings on barren planets by the holidays (with a mako type buggy)

This alone will get me back into that game.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Does ED really suck? I was under the impression that it's still some kind of early beta release and that more content is coming?

E:D doesn't suck, but it's not great.

It's notoriously okay.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

It's notoriously okay.

Yeah that's the gist I've been hearing about it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iron Tusk posted:

The problem is that there's no proof you knew before hand.

Also you keeping saying that you've released 25% of what's out there and there's terrible stuff in the other 75%. Why don't you release everything you have? Why would you let more people be taken in by the sales at Citcon when you could stop it? Why would you let more people be taken in with the anniversary sale when you can stop it?

I'm guessing they'll throw the hail Mary and sell the F4.

Good points.

Fine. I will reveal the name at 4AM EST / 9AM GMT

Because most of it is highly sensitive material that I simply cannot in good conscience put into the public domain. It can only go into a legal complaint and sealed by petitioning the court. Remember, my goal is not to hurt them or kill the project.

I have written SIX blogs since July. I have done my bit. I have taken abuse from a bunch of assholic White Knights. So nobody can't say they weren't warned. In fact, I WANT them to keep buying poo poo. So when the crash comes - and it will - they get taught a valuable lesson.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

I don't need to ask them. We have enough people to file for class action; and that was the plan all along. This was never about me. Even though they keep trying to make it about me.

You do know that as soon as the list of these people hits CIG, they're going to refund them and keep on slowboating towards a release in 3000AD right?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Derek. I sent an email to support@3000ad.com asking for a signed headshot. Can I please get that? It would be my treasure.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

D_Smart posted:

I don't need to ask them. We have enough people to file for class action; and that was the plan all along. This was never about me. Even though they keep trying to make it about me.

Hi Derek,

If you were to recommend a specific jpeg refund method, would you choose ebay, reddit grey market, playerauctions or direct cig refund?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

As I understand it, they were talking about the first episode because most of what's needed have yet to be created. Chris has been loving around with cut scenes and playing movie director. All this, oblivious to the fact that there's no loving game to plug the cutscenes into.

That makes sense given that, in the words of Erin, SQ42 will be a "final polished game" when released and the core gameplay is laughably immature.

What will you do if 3 months from now CIG shows no signs of faltering? 6 months?

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Roflan posted:

Who was wearing a cap with MONEY in gold on it... Maybe I'm oversensitive from spending too much time on political sites but that seemed worse than having him on as the token black guy.

It was Chris's cap. A gift from his coke dealer who preseumaby has an infinite supply of LTI ships to sell on reddit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

I also have a Samsung TV that operates well so I dunno what to think really

peter gabriel posted:

I have a Samsung fridge that is less than satisfactory though so that kind of takes the wind out of that argument

Everything I've owned that has been made by Samsung has had crappy capacitors that needed replacing shortly after the manufacturer warranty ran out. :argh:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

D_Smart posted:

As I understand it, they were talking about the first episode because most of what's needed have yet to be created. Chris has been loving around with cut scenes and playing movie director. All this, oblivious to the fact that there's no loving game to plug the cutscenes into.

People seem to forget that at first your package included the "SQ42 beta" which eventually was split into episodes, and that those with "beta" access would get the missions first. However that changed again a few months later, when CR stated that there was not going to be any mission beta since it would "spoil the surprise"

So essentially getting the SC alpha was pointless when they just tacked on a $5 pass once the alpha ran out, but they completely removed the SQ42 beta by making it invalid.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

spacetoaster posted:

Does ED really suck? I was under the impression that it's still some kind of early beta release and that more content is coming?

It's slowly fleshing out. It's been out for a year and got flak for feeling like it was still a beta. It even went through the same round of refunds phase SC is currently in.

The flight model is great, there's plenty of things to do, plenty of things to et irritated or mad about, and plenty of "metagaming" between rival player factions (there's virtually no support for this in game because Frontier has no idea how to make an mmo.

Today they released the E:D version of this Arena Commander mode, lots of improvements and bug fixes, some new ships, and merged the PC and Xbox universes together. Neither group can actually play together but they can influence the same politics, etc.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It's a solid game, but most of the storytelling and world building you have to look for. It's a big ol' sandbox without any gigantic "you must go here" goals. It's a finished game, but they've added lots of new features in the updates. They're going to do planetary landings on barren planets by the holidays (with a mako type buggy) and multicrew after that.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a full game but there isn't much to do. The core gameplay is fun but I suspect it will take a few years to get really engaging.

Okay, I'm moving closer to the buy button...

So they are going to continually add content over time for free (after you pay for it initially)? Is it an mmo type thing? Or a 60$ buy the game one time and then buy expansions thing?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

D_Smart posted:

Good points.

Because most of it is highly sensitive material that I simply cannot in good conscience put into the public domain. It can only go into a legal complaint and sealed by petitioning the court. Remember, my goal is not to hurt them or kill the project.

I have written SIX blogs since July. I have done my bit. I have taken abuse from a bunch of assholic White Knights. So nobody can't say they weren't warned. In fact, I WANT them to keep buying poo poo. So when the crash comes - and it will - they get taught a valuable lesson.

Derek we are talking about games that actually exist now keep up

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

spacetoaster posted:

If you go in expecting an open world Mass Effect type sim, then it will suck.

If you go in interested in a Space Flight & Combat sim with some additional bells and whistles (exploration, mining, light smuggling, piracy)-- you'll probably find it pretty impressive. (All the more If you're buying a VR headset this fall, as Elite is one of the most immersive VR titles available.)

I can't emphasize enough-- it is the opposite of Star Citizen (or the one people are being promised, anyway.) It's an absolute masterpiece of simulated scale, a triumph of procedural generation tech, and often an incredibly beautiful game. At the same time, the core mechanic is "grinding for credits". Credits will buy you better tech, better ships, better weapons-- which in turn improve your chances when pursuing its many flavors of grinding.

If you're on the fence, wait for Horizons later this year. Planetary landings, Multicrew, Looting / Crafting, and potentially some surprises offer the promise, if nothing else, of further variety in your grinding options.

Lastly, Frontier knows their weakest area is gameplay depth and story. I think this will become increasingly a focus for them in successive updates. Sooner or later, they are going to unleash the Thargoids into the game-- a hostile, highly intelligent insectile race from earlier games-- and that has the potential to be pretty drat badass when it happens...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

D_Smart posted:

Good points.

You did the needful.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Or a 60$ buy the game one time and then buy expansions thing?

It's this, but expansions are the same 50 bucks as the base game and include the base game so if you buy wait for the expansion in a month or three.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

Okay, I'm moving closer to the buy button...

So they are going to continually add content over time for free (after you pay for it initially)? Is it an mmo type thing? Or a 60$ buy the game one time and then buy expansions thing?

Every year they intend to release a new season that's the price of the full game. This year if you bought a previous copy the upgrade is $45, or for $200 you can get a lifetime pass.

It's kind of lovely given that the actual "game" is so shallow and paying full price for an expansion pack feels wrong.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Good points.

You should do the hash thing unless you think your source can get you any name changes in time.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

G0RF posted:

Regard Ortwin AlphaShark and his legal / PR gambit against Escapist.

This comment from a lawyer is actually a pretty good read. (How a lucid person ended up in the RSI forums I have no idea...)

Well worth the read. Especially the comments at the end regarding the community. Wonder if they'll listen.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

They also could have make witchspace (or whatever) more like the warp.

Things like that add atmosphere. There were a lead things in ED that blew me away, like when you come into a system and you decelerate right in front of a star, and bank away reactively.

Or dogfighting around a capital.

But other than that, it was a lot of traveling, worrying about fuel, annoying interdictions, and so much emptiness.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

jaegerx posted:

Derek. I sent an email to support@3000ad.com asking for a signed headshot. Can I please get that? It would be my treasure.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

OhDearGodNo posted:

People seem to forget that at first your package included the "SQ42 beta" which eventually was split into episodes, and that those with "beta" access would get the missions first. However that changed again a few months later, when CR stated that there was not going to be any mission beta since it would "spoil the surprise"

So essentially getting the SC alpha was pointless when they just tacked on a $5 pass once the alpha ran out, but they completely removed the SQ42 beta by making it invalid.

Furthermore the FPS was slated to be released in a 'beta' state further eroding the utility of alpha access pass in addition to that of participating in some kind of alpha development process.

In many ways it appears that our role in this relationship was shifted to be one of a prop for the releases, echoing our satisfaction with each module as they rolled out in a polished and playable state. However that plan didn't appear come to fruition as the delays associated with each module in addition to the hilariously poor quality of the only module of any worth that we actually have access to essentially undercut that plan.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every year they intend to release a new season that's the price of the full game. This year if you bought a previous copy the upgrade is $45, or for $200 you can get a lifetime pass.

It's kind of lovely given that the actual "game" is so shallow and paying full price for an expansion pack feels wrong.

It also feels wrong that my $75 ED package doesn't come with the expansion being pre-bundled for less if I simply bought the game now rather than jumping in when there were 16 systems to play with. That move really put me off of Frontier.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Elite is a good game to chill but it requires a very specific type of mindset (or a good library of podcasts) to really get into it. It's basically Euro Spacetruck Simulator.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

Everything I've owned that has been made by Samsung has had crappy capacitors that needed replacing shortly after the manufacturer warranty ran out. :argh:

I've got a motherfuckin Samsung hob
Holy poo poo, am I a Samsung fan boy?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

D_Smart posted:

All this, oblivious to the fact that there's no loving game to plug the cutscenes into.

This is the most insightful thing I have ever seen you post. Mind you, I don't read your blogs in depth but take it for what it's worth. Thanks for being Derek Smart.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I bet Mark Hamill has a Samsung TV

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

3 posted:

Elite is a good game to chill but it requires a very specific type of mindset (or a good library of podcasts) to really get into it. It's basically Euro Spacetruck Simulator.

It's really good of you just wanna zone out. Yeah there's not much, but St least it actually looks on track to deliver. Though the full price expansions are indeed bullshit.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Furthermore the FPS was slated to be released in a 'beta' state further eroding the utility of alpha access pass in addition to that of participating in some kind of alpha development process.

In many ways it appears that our role in this relationship was shifted to be one of a prop for the releases, echoing our satisfaction with each module as they rolled out in a polished and playable state. However that plan didn't appear come to fruition as the delays associated with each module in addition to the hilariously poor quality of the only module of any worth that we actually have access to essentially undercut that plan.

It also feels wrong that my $75 ED package doesn't come with the expansion being pre-bundled for less if I simply bought the game now rather than jumping in when there were 16 systems to play with. That move really put me off of Frontier.

Every time I get a pang of empathy for CR or the not-a-cult I remember they did it to themselves. The delays, and eventual cancellation is all due the inability of anyone to say "no."

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The "Arena Commander"-esque mode just patched into Elite Dangerous is better than it in every way :laffo:

I'm playing CQC right now, I don't know if I can really argue with your statement.

It's amazing to play a game where the ships handle smoothly, there is no lag, and I don't crash every other match. :unsmith:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I get all elite expansions for "free" because I'm a dumb idiot who spends too much on space game kickstarters :suicide:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

They also could have make witchspace (or whatever) more like the warp.

Things like that add atmosphere. There were a lead things in ED that blew me away, like when you come into a system and you decelerate right in front of a star, and bank away reactively.

Or dogfighting around a capital.

But other than that, it was a lot of traveling, worrying about fuel, annoying interdictions, and so much emptiness.

I'm happy to see gigantic PLACES in the CQC areas, one of the bummers about the game right now is that there aren't a lot of gigantic things besides stations and space rocks to fly around. There need to be gigantic facilities like space docks, ancient wreckage mines, etc.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Truga posted:

I get all elite expansions for "free" because I'm a dumb idiot who spends too much on space game kickstarters :suicide:

A good investment imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also, in true simulation spirit, first thing you do after you boot up elite and set up your keys is, start some recording software and record babby's first landing attempt. Post it here.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Truga posted:

This alone will get me back into that game.

I dunno if this will sweeten the deal, but here's some video I took many months ago of Mitterand Hollow, orbiting the terraformed world of New Africa, in the Epsilon Indi system.

https://youtu.be/kkI9-WppB2E?t=11m

Ol' Mitt Hollow has a peculiarity of orbiting New Africa in about sixy loving seconds. New Africa must get some pretty spectacular tides.

The point of this story? It's an airless body, meaning we SHOULD be able to land on it and drive around, as it careens around the world, sunrise and sunsets in scant seconds. Then shoot other dune buggies. :hawaaaafap:

Edit: make the link skip ahead to the better part 11 minutes in!

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 7, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

jaegerx posted:

Oh that was you? It was forwarded to me and I was a bit skeptical that someone was just trolling me. Will sort it out. No worries.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Meanwhile in idiotsville posted:

I just had a great idea for subscriber flair.

The "Smart Systems Flushomatic"

The Flushomatic is a top of the line biological waste disposal system that fits in in your hangar or on your ship. With their patented ESCAPE (Environment Sampling, compartmentalizing and Powered Ejection) system, your 'buisness' will never be the topic of conversation. Here just view a few of our user testimonials!

(User testimonials have been temporarily removed due to technical difficulties.)

And if that doesn't convince you, listen to what industry veterans have to say about it!

"Smart systems? Who the hell are they?"

Get your order in now before supplies run out on this fabulous product. And don't buy anyone else's or we'll sue your rear end off!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

redwalrus posted:

Hi Derek,

If you were to recommend a specific jpeg refund method, would you choose ebay, reddit grey market, playerauctions or direct cig refund?

Nothing beats cold hard cash. Plus since I'm going to completely crash the Grey market by year end, you probably don't want to mess with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hey Derek what do you think about that idea of making a Derek Smart themed shitter?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/288005/subscriber-flair

Edit: I don;t like that idea I think it is disrespectful

• Locked thread