Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Elevator game was really cool. I really enjoyed Sangmins subtle manipulations, but then the Revengers turning their back on him at the end after they helped him win was fun to watch. Sangmin really feels unstoppable, Yohwans "0 Garnet" strategy worked out well for him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

This is awesome.

Yeonseung :3: posted:

If The Genius was viewed as a Greek tragedy, then I think Rule Breaker was a true masterpiece. With the ambitions surrounding the lost ID card, the chorus that didn’t intervene (producers), and the makjang drama that unfolded as a result…

In that respect, I agree with the critique that Black Garnet was a bit dull because there was so little conflict. The players’ personalities played a part in this and I think there was also a sense that the producers couldn’t help but be cautious. I feel a bit sorry that I may have made it boring. If I get another chance, I’ll try to become Oedipus.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Well now I want to know who is the father and mother in this scenario.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zythrst posted:

Well now I want to know who is the father and mother in this scenario.

Bandage Man and Dealer Nuna, obviously.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
If anyone wants to try out 12 janggi I knocked up an AI you can play against here. You can play as 2nd player by changing the player=0 in the url to player=1 and similarly raise or lower the difficulty.

For various reasons the AI isn't that great but its an alright challenge at difficulty 7 or 8, past that I think it actually gets worse because I set a 30 second limit for it to generate moves so you aren't waiting minutes for it to evaluate a billion moves.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

If anyone wants to try out 12 janggi I knocked up an AI you can play against here. You can play as 2nd player by changing the player=0 in the url to player=1 and similarly raise or lower the difficulty.

Very cool.

Bug report: After I captured two men, the second disappeared when I dropped the first (might also be related to having captured pieces too). I'm also not sure if the AI gives up when it determines it can't win; in one situation it didn't move after a minute of waiting. I'm not 100% sure it was a lost position.

I had made a stab at building an AI that could solve it but never made a UI past console input. (Also the AI might sometimes be locking up so it never ended up solving it).

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Blue Star Error posted:

For various reasons the AI isn't that great but its an alright challenge at difficulty 7 or 8, past that I think it actually gets worse because I set a 30 second limit for it to generate moves so you aren't waiting minutes for it to evaluate a billion moves.

Kangra posted:

Very cool.

Bug report: After I captured two men, the second disappeared when I dropped the first (might also be related to having captured pieces too). I'm also not sure if the AI gives up when it determines it can't win; in one situation it didn't move after a minute of waiting. I'm not 100% sure it was a lost position.

I had made a stab at building an AI that could solve it but never made a UI past console input. (Also the AI might sometimes be locking up so it never ended up solving it).

The AI seems to randomly give up a lot of the time for me (I've had more failed games than completed games now). Usually it comes up with a move within about 5 seconds, but sometimes it randomly does nothing even when leaving it for minutes (so significantly longer than the full 30 seconds calculation time). This even happens for the opening moves of the game, where it can't possibly be in a lost position. Not sure what's causing that. :iiam:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Kangra posted:

Very cool.

Elite posted:

The AI seems to randomly give up a lot of the time for me (I've had more failed games than completed games now). Usually it comes up with a move within about 5 seconds, but sometimes it randomly does nothing even when leaving it for minutes (so significantly longer than the full 30 seconds calculation time). This even happens for the opening moves of the game, where it can't possibly be in a lost position. Not sure what's causing that. :iiam:

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I didn't actually upload the version with the 30 second limit oops. I think there's something weird going on with my hosting, its lovely shared hosting so its possible I'm coming up against some CPU limit. When I run it on my PC it never fails to generate a move, even if it knows its going to lose, but you're both right it does appear to be locking up on the live server.

I think I'll have to rewrite the AI to make it more streamlined.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Max posted:

At the very least, I think Sangmin would have known where Dongmin's bombs were in the first match, and may have played that game better than Kyunghoon did. I'm not sure who could have beaten Dongmin in the second game.

Except for his stalling gambit, Kyunghoon played the worst possible game he could. I was cringing every time he moved.

Dongmin understood the key to victory from the start: make your opponent lose pieces faster than you do. I think if he had the chance, Dongmin would have sent a piece to take on 3 pieces at once.

He didn't have a chance at Mystery Sign, poor guy. Dongmin was just too good. Also, I discovered that I'm pretty bad at it.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 29, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Blue Star Error posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I didn't actually upload the version with the 30 second limit oops. I think there's something weird going on with my hosting, its lovely shared hosting so its possible I'm coming up against some CPU limit. When I run it on my PC it never fails to generate a move, even if it knows its going to lose, but you're both right it does appear to be locking up on the live server.

I think I'll have to rewrite the AI to make it more streamlined.

Bug Report: The AI resorted to extreme ways to win.

AI playing first, on difficulty 5, the AI moved its General two spaces to capture one of my pieces when it was in a losing position. Unfortunately I didn't get screen grabs.

e: Typo'd the difficulty.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 30, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I have a whole new respect of 12 Janggi after trying to play it myself, it's really hard. I managed to hang the AI for awhile with the sheer stupidity of my moves though.

Edit: It's pretty hilarious how my terrible moves make the games not resemble the Genius games at all though.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 30, 2015

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Does anyone have any idea which song is the "Blasta" song from Season 4? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj2o5Kt_rrl6T3MTTUk9spTjGmabaEWFy

e: Geez, maybe its the one named Blasta

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 30, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Meme Emulator posted:

Does anyone have any idea which song is the "Blasta" song from Season 4? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj2o5Kt_rrl6T3MTTUk9spTjGmabaEWFy

Blastaa by GRiZ in case anyone needs it.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ViggyNash posted:

Except for his stalling gambit, Kyunghoon played the worst possible game he could. I was cringing every time he moved.

The stalling is the shittiest move of all. You're betting your opponent is so bad at the game they will actively harm themselves. Against JANG DONGMIN.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tonfa posted:

The stalling is the shittiest move of all. You're betting your opponent is so bad at the game they will actively harm themselves. Against JANG DONGMIN.

Well, I can see the argument as 'given that we were able to place these pieces at any point on the board we wanted, any movement that isn't forward is going to result in a position that's off the cuff, and incidentally give me more intel on which pieces aren't bombs.'

It's not a great argument but it's not thoroughly awful.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
English-language podcast with Kyunghoon is getting posted today. geniuscast.podbean.com

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

HiipFire posted:

if this happens please post it in the thread
http://geniuscast.podbean.com/e/kim-kyunghoon-interview/

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

"Extreme Ways. I like this song."

:allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tonfa posted:

That wasn't the point though. He was trying to figure out 1) how Dongmin was planning to play and 2) where the bombs were. But then he totally ignored anything he learned and just zerg rushed.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ViggyNash posted:

That wasn't the point though. He was trying to figure out 1) how Dongmin was planning to play and 2) where the bombs were. But then he totally ignored anything he learned and just zerg rushed.

I think the other issue with that is he only has 3 bombs, and at the beginning of the game your opponent isn't likely to move a lot of pieces. But yeah, he also just kinda forgot where the obvious bombs were.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The interview is fantastic so far. Apparently, during the S3 open audition process, someone started a rumor that the producers had hidden a "Token of Immortality" at the interview site and if you found it, you would automatically be cast on the show. So Kyunghoon saw a bunch of people in the waiting room running around inspecting the furniture and poo poo.

Edit: The main PD of the show has a rule that there should be less than 5 women on each season.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 5, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Does this have any Season 4 spoilers in it? I just finished the first episode.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

Yes.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

SalTheBard posted:

It has all of the Season 4 spoilers in it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

qbert posted:

Edit: The main PD of the show has a rule that there should be less than 5 women on each season.

:mediocre:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uhm, everyone -- this just happened:

(emphasis mine)

http://www.c21media.net/itvsge-signs-korea-format-deal/

quote:

MIPCOM: ITV Studios Global Entertainment (ITVSGE) in the UK has signed a format collaboration agreement with South Korea firm CJ E&M here at Mipcom.

The deal will see ITVSGE take two of CJ E&M’s Korean formats to UK broadcasters, while CJ E&M will look at two of ITVSGE’s formats for its family of channels. The companies will also work together to develop the formats for interested broadcasters.

ITVSGE MD Maria Kyriacou and CJ E&M media division CEO Lee Deok Jae signed the agreement in Cannes yesterday.

Kyriacou said: “This agreement will give us the chance to extend our formats into each other’s markets, in order to achieve even greater global success for both companies.”

Initially, CJ E&M will take The Secret Life of Students from ITVSGE’s format catalogue. Created by Raw TV, the observational documentary format uses innovative new technology to track contributors’ digital lives.

ITV Studios’ culinary format Come Date With Me will also be taken.

Meanwhile, ITVSGE will acquire From Start to Clear and The Genius Game from CJ E&M’s catalogue. CJ E&M’s longest-running entertainment show, From Start to Clear sees a celebrity host and his guests play a computer game – but the twist is they can’t stop until they finish the game.

The company will also take The Genius Game, which sees 13 players from different backgrounds, from poker champions to CEOs and politicians, compete in a battle of wits by playing 12 strategic games.

So... Yeah. ITV's had a couple of deals in the US here recently (The Chase, Best Time Ever) -- if some of the people who've worked with them in the past are attached to it (Bob Boden in particular), this could be good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I AM FREAKING OUT :supaburn:

Can't wait to see Vernon Kay and Sarah Cox playing Tactical Yutnori :unsmith:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lee Junseok is in fact now Hyunmin's irl PR guy and manager.

Check out his incredible official website

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

qbert posted:

:psyduck:

Is this Kyunghoon being Kyunghoon and casually dropping a huge bomb, or is this a policy a producer can publicly have in South Korea without some kind of a blowup?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
From Start To Clear sounds alright, anyone know anything about that? It's got a name that makes it frustratingly difficult to Google.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 6, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

:psyduck:

Is this Kyunghoon being Kyunghoon and casually dropping a huge bomb, or is this a policy a producer can publicly have in South Korea without some kind of a blowup?

It sounded genuine, they asked Kyunghoon why that was the case and he said he didn't know.

Finished listening to the whole interview, which was crazy long but totally worth it. It sound REALLY unlikely that there will be a Season 5. :( Kyunghoon said that the same writers and crew worked on the show from the very beginning, and for S4, some of the crew knew they'd be leaving for various reasons after it, so the PD really wanted to finish the series with the same people and go out with a bang. Also after S4 all the contestants did like a weekend trip together with the crew, and as a gift they gave everyone a garnet, which Kyunghoon thought was a bad sign because they never did that in previous seasons since they needed to reuse the garnets as props for upcoming seasons.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

The Genius done on ITV will be loving awful. It needed to be picked up by BBC4 or 2 to work.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?

Tonfa posted:

Lee Junseok is in fact now Hyunmin's irl PR guy and manager.

Check out his incredible official website

Girlfriends: "There's no such thing." Next line, "As if there could be such a thing."

:negative:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

qbert posted:

It sounded genuine, they asked Kyunghoon why that was the case and he said he didn't know.

I have no doubt it was genuine, what I meant was is having an openly sexist hiring policy something that can get the producers in trouble in South Korea? Kyunghoon said it pretty matter-of-factly, but I wasn't sure if that was because its normalized or because Kyunghoon's just pretty matter-of-fact about stuff.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Maybe? The last variety show I can remember with a full female cast (that weren't idols) didn't do great so that probably doesn't help

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

From Start To Clear sounds alright, anyone know anything about that? It's got a name that makes it frustratingly difficult to Google.

All the episodes are on youtube some have the english translated title as "From Start Till Clear". Seems standard variety show fair but with the challenge being beating a game. (This one Arkham Knight.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjd5Xn225v4

The first episode shows it started as basically Gamecenter CX Korea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7NXBb7GZg

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Davincie posted:

Maybe? The last variety show I can remember with a full female cast (that weren't idols) didn't do great so that probably doesn't help

As far as I can tell (from stuff like KPop and Eat your kimchi) Korea is stuck in the 1950s as far as feminism goes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CHiRAL posted:

As far as I can tell (from stuff like KPop and Eat your kimchi) Korea is stuck in the 1950s as far as feminism goes.

And that's an improvement from what it was historically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_in_the_Joseon_Dynasty

A choice quote: "By the end of the era women almost became "nameless" in Korea. They were mostly referred to by their husbands' or children's names ("...'s wife", "...'s mother")."

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I would love a fifth season, but I'm ok with the show undeniably ending on a high note.

That interview was adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, I feel the same way as pokeyman. Need to check out the Tittycast later.

I'm glad the Genius is getting a shot at an English language version. If they can make it half as good then it'll be a fun watch. With four seasons to choose from you don't even need to come up with your own main match games, just pick and choose some of the good ones.

I would personally freak out for a best of three chess deathmatch near the end or in the finals. Even better if they go with a variant form of Chess with different rules, but I expect if they do Chess at all it'll be straight up.