Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Derek, Don't ruin the grey market. This is the most profitable game I have ever played. Paid for a new PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Truga posted:

I get all elite expansions for "free" because I'm a dumb idiot who spends too much on space game kickstarters :suicide:

yeah but it exists

also 800 new posts, I can't keep up with this thread. I'm like tired from trying to read it all, did something big happen since last night?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Okay, I'm moving closer to the buy button...

So they are going to continually add content over time for free (after you pay for it initially)? Is it an mmo type thing? Or a 60$ buy the game one time and then buy expansions thing?

Elite IMHO, is all about the grind. Like it or not everything attributes to your fictional bank account. Playing early means getting dibs on potential new ships / modules / what have you. Stockpiling credits is a good thing in this game as there's absolutely zero inflation and credits is used for everything.

You can always leave the game, come back 5 months later and still not feel "left out" or pressured to keep grinding more.

The Cobra is an endgame ship, can do all things well and attainable within a day or two of play (considering you don't die). One thing about Elite which I love, is the moment you "get" the game, it sticks. The combat, trade, exploration, and general piloting of the games many spaceships. All spaceships are highly customizable for your needs.

Also, FD is extremely tight on balance, all ships have pro's / con's one way or the other and there is NO GOD SHIP.

Remember SC talked about Rock, Paper and Scissors mechanics? Elite has it polished to a sheen.

Buy now, try it. And hit the refund button on Steam of you don't like it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Literally Kermit posted:

Ol' Mitt Hollow has a peculiarity of orbiting New Africa in about sixy loving seconds. New Africa must get some pretty spectacular tides.

Holy poo poo. Also, this reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDZtt0vWD8

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

Good points.

Fine. I will reveal the name at 4AM EST / 9AM GMT

If you only reveal the name, it's pretty likely that they'll just change it though?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Hendrik reminded me of the time he did a write up on the grey market on TMC and all the whales lost their poo poo because "grrr goons ruin everything." Good times.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/68600/article-by-themittani-com-exploring-star-citizen-s-grey-market

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Derek there's a typo on the first page of your laywers response to Mr. Freyermuth.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
hahahaha holy poo poo derek smart's posting in this thread?

this entire shitstorm's getting better and better

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

don't you still not get access to the base game if you preorder it now? like, you still have to wait until the expansion launches?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Good points.

Because most of it is highly sensitive material that I simply cannot in good conscience put into the public domain. It can only go into a legal complaint and sealed by petitioning the court. Remember, my goal is not to hurt them or kill the project.

I have written SIX blogs since July. I have done my bit. I have taken abuse from a bunch of assholic White Knights. So nobody can't say they weren't warned. In fact, I WANT them to keep buying poo poo. So when the crash comes - and it will - they get taught a valuable lesson.

What about the people that aren't white knights, which is probably 99.5% of the community? The people who just kicked in 30$ or 100$ and then stopped paying attention, why are you trying to hurt them, unless the root of all this is really just your own fame? What is the assholic white knights keep CIG afloat long enough to release some sort of minimally viable product?

Also, how can you get insider information stuffed into a lawsuit that will have standing? You know class action lawsuits usually result in the lawyers going home with all the money and the class getting pittance? Also that it's a years in the making process. If CIG is insolvent they'll be long gone by the time it resolves, and if they aren't, there's a chance that even they will have a a game out by the time it's done. What happens if their arbitration clause holds? What happens if you don't get class certification?

In this case I'm really not trollin', I'm interested to see if you or those around you have thought this through all the way.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Nothing beats cold hard cash. Plus since I'm going to completely crash the Grey market by year end, you probably don't want to mess with that.

I guess my question is, what is your ultimate goal at this point and how does withholding information benefit it?

If you are looking to warn off the less-than-White Knight backers, more (accurate) predictions will establish your credibility better than anything else could.

If you're looking to see CIG fail and be punished for the attempted scam, more information's also the way to go- more (provable) claims will lead to more investigation will lead to more leaks, in a self-reinforcing cycle.

I really can't see a point to holding onto the worst of it unless you're trying to drag this out and generate more press... but to what end? I mean, to date, they've certainly jumped pretty reliably when poked, but eventually they'll wise up and begin clamping down on the leaks. The campaign's not exactly endearing you to their fan base either- it seems better to just rip the band-aid off and be done with it at this point.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

quote:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Star-Citizen-Spiel-3481/News/Chris-Roberts-Zukunftsplaene-1169112/

Quote: "Die für Entermanöver gedachte Esperia Prowler soll auf der CitizenCon vorgestellt werden."
- which means "the Esperia prowler which is specializing on boarding maneuvers shall be introduced at the citizen con.

According to some brown sea forum PM I just received.

So, I guess if that's true, kinda deflates the super secret value of any information concerning what's going to be the big 'ol crazy secret ship thing at the great con.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If we get to the 6333 Octopode milestone, will they release a Brazilian wax module for the Endeavor?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Good points.

Because most of it is highly sensitive material that I simply cannot in good conscience put into the public domain. It can only go into a legal complaint and sealed by petitioning the court. Remember, my goal is not to hurt them or kill the project.

I have written SIX blogs since July. I have done my bit. I have taken abuse from a bunch of assholic White Knights. So nobody can't say they weren't warned. In fact, I WANT them to keep buying poo poo. So when the crash comes - and it will - they get taught a valuable lesson.

As an addendum, why not do what Snowden did and pass it all of to a set of journalists? Not like games "journalism", but someone major. I think the SF chronicle has had angry SC articles before, or if you want to stay in the tech sector, pass it to someone like Ars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Truga posted:

Holy poo poo. Also, this reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDZtt0vWD8

You posted the wrong one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paMantiqs54

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
Hey! I'm not bald. (yet)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

According to some brown sea forum PM I just received.

So, I guess if that's true, kinda deflates the super secret value of any information concerning what's going to be the big 'ol crazy secret ship thing at the great con.

I guess start the timer to when they announce you can buy special armor for your ship that prevents boarding ships latch on.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Can we get a Dsmart clan tag?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Nothing beats cold hard cash. Plus since I'm going to completely crash the Grey market by year end, you probably don't want to mess with that.

Someone Put up a Star Citizen Doomsday Clock set to implode at 12.31.15 at 11:59.59pm

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Decrepus posted:

Can I be in the clan

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Hey Mr. Smart, when you are done with your crusade against CR and Star Citizen, can we expect great things from your own catalog of games or do you have something even better in the works?

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=3000AD

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

madcow posted:

Hey Mr. Smart, when you are done with your crusade against CR and Star Citizen, can we expect great things from your own catalog of games or do you have something even better in the works?

Hush, go away

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Zeike posted:

Can I be in the clan

How many people are you threatening to sue?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

madcow posted:

universal combat is cool and good and he should upgrade the art assets on lyrius conflict

and add bridges

Fain80
Jan 18, 2013

Free Hugs
How long is it taking them to respond to refund requests these days? I want to get while the gettings hot. I'm surprised it's not common knowledge that you can get refunds yet. Derek, you should totally break that after they give me all my space money back.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think what would really benefit is if they provided videos that showed what the game is really intended to be. Scripted is fine, but give backers a sense of what CR's vision for SC truly is.

This is like a million pages back, but I wanted to comment on it. If that David Jennison screed is anything to go by, I get the feeling that CRoberts is like Potter Stewart on Jacobellis v. Ohio. He can't articulate what Star Citizen is, but he knows it when he sees it. Or rather, he knows when he doesn't see it, every time he makes his artists redo months of work because it doesn't sufficiently tickle his fancy.

Also:

Decrepus posted:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Wise Learned Man posted:

This is like a million pages back, but I wanted to comment on it. If that David Jennison screed is anything to go by, I get the feeling that CRoberts is like Potter Stewart on Jacobellis v. Ohio. He can't articulate what Star Citizen is, but he knows it when he sees it. Or rather, he knows when he doesn't see it, every time he makes his artists redo months of work because it doesn't sufficiently tickle his fancy.

So Star Citizen is basically like when I win an imaginary argument while taking a shower.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
im the assholic

D_Smart posted:

Good points.

im the assholic

addicted 2 rear end

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Hey Derek what do you think about that idea of making a Derek Smart themed shitter?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/288005/subscriber-flair

Edit: I don;t like that idea I think it is disrespectful

Well, for starters, it would be a fitting tribute to the man who flushed their dreams down the very crapper they'd be sim-sitting in.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Everyone is saying that November 2015 is the big date, but is that specifically 11/1, 11/30, 11/15 or another date?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Omi-Polari posted:

universal combat is cool and good and he should upgrade the art assets on lyrius conflict

and add bridges

A major graphics overhaul is what The Lyrius Conflict will be :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SirPhoebos posted:

Everyone is saying that November 2015 is the big date, but is that specifically 11/1, 11/30, 11/15 or another date?

11/1, obviously, since that's the only date that makes sense in a proper date format. :haw:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iron Tusk posted:

What about the people that aren't white knights, which is probably 99.5% of the community? The people who just kicked in 30$ or 100$ and then stopped paying attention, why are you trying to hurt them, unless the root of all this is really just your own fame? What is the assholic white knights keep CIG afloat long enough to release some sort of minimally viable product?

Also, how can you get insider information stuffed into a lawsuit that will have standing? You know class action lawsuits usually result in the lawyers going home with all the money and the class getting pittance? Also that it's a years in the making process. If CIG is insolvent they'll be long gone by the time it resolves, and if they aren't, there's a chance that even they will have a a game out by the time it's done. What happens if their arbitration clause holds? What happens if you don't get class certification?

In this case I'm really not trollin', I'm interested to see if you or those around you have thought this through all the way.

Yes, all good points. Now you see WHY I've been trying to work it out with them? Hence my legal letter from Aug.

Their arbitration clause won't hold. And even if it did, it would be their fault it even became a legal matter because all they had to do was provide the financials as required to. Case closed.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

So Star Citizen is basically like when I win an imaginary argument while taking a shower.

plz don't kinkshame me. :(

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Where is Star Citizen right now?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Typo posted:

Where is Star Citizen right now?

I'd say the "Denial" phase. The "Bull Trap" will be Cit-Con.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Young Freud posted:

I'd say the "Denial" phase. The "Bull Trap" will be Cit-Con.
Agreed - get ready for the Bullshit Trap phase to commence. It will look like Gary Oldman, sound like a thousand nerds gasming at once, and smell like dead presidents roasting over burning coals of future humiliation.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have we started predictions on Citcon yet?

I predict a new funding campaign to pay for celeb VA. Each funding level will have additional talent added to the game.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
citcon guess:
another piece of software that is essentially a tech demo, but mostly runs and a bullshit "big reveal" of something else thats "not quite done yet"

i can hear the whales straining to reach their wallets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

ocrumsprug posted:

Have we started predictions on Citcon yet?

I predict a new funding campaign to pay for celeb VA. Each funding level will have additional talent added to the game.

We already have Mark Hamill, who else do we need? Brendan Fraiser?

• Locked thread