Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
You can get colored inserts to protect them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Digital_Jesus posted:

That being said.. anyone recommend a good snow tire as winter is coming.

I swear by Nokian (I can't remember the exact type I have.... Hakkapellita R or something?). I've never had a single problem with them over five winters, and everyone I've recommended them to has been satisfied.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm not sure there's a bad snow tire, everyone always recommends everything. I used general altimax artics in a Buffalo winter because i am naturally cheap (why else would I buy a 10 year old car) and they did great.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I was just planning out how I would do a future turbo setup in my head, I know I cant afford it now, but i would like to prep the car for it when I do my k-member upgrade eventually.

While the stock k-member is out, I could put the headers in needed for a turbo application, since they are not "breaking the bank" expensive. the only problem is there would be no turbos to install.

would it be possible to install these headers and put some sort of cap on them until i am ready to actually install a turbo(s)? that way I can drive my car until I save up more money for them? or is this a really retarded idea? the Idea of installing a Kmember just to take it out again to install headers again is going to be really expensive. I will admit, this job maybe beyond my skill set so i want to pay for this job to be done once.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I don't know mustangs, would the K member block access to where the turbos need to bolt on? If so, you're taking it off anyway to put the turbos on; if not, you might be good doing it, but:

A) you'd have to have someone custom fabricate a downpipe to connect the turbo flange to your exhaust, which is $$$ (you can't just cap it as the exhaust is still flowing through there, so unless you wanna run open headers until you get the turbos you're spending this money)

B) depending on the turbo setup I foresee a high likelihood that you'll need easy access to the flange in order to bolt the turbo onto it. This may not be possible with the headers in the car (it certainly isn't on my Protege), so there's a chance you'll need to remove the headers to put the turbos on regardless (and thus remove the k-member again). If they're v-bands this might go away, but eh.

All in all I'd wait until you have everything and just put it all in at once. E: And honestly if the labor to remove the k-member a second time is breaking the bank you're probably not budgeting NEARLY enough to run a turbo setup anyway. Forced induction and all the issues it can bring are a lot more expensive than removing a few bolts.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 6, 2015

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Any winter tire is going to be better than all seasons. That said, if you want some extra insurance go for something quality like the blizzaks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Buhbuhj posted:

That said, if you want some extra insurance go for something quality like the blizzaks nokians.

From people who've run both, I've never heard anyone prefer the Blizzaks.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Buhbuhj posted:

Any winter tire is going to be better than all seasons. That said, if you want some extra insurance go for something quality like the blizzaks nokians literally any snow tire.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Oh you're in buffalo. Howdy neighbor.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Hello! How is your 2nd day of mustang ownership? Whereabouts in Buffalo are you?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Northtowns. Drivin' gud. Still warm enough to get the bike out though.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Oh god you are in Buffalo. Perhaps you should invest in a snow blower attachment for your Mustang as well.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I put mine away for the winter now. It was a fun time driving it once through the winter but I messed up my exhaust something awful (:v:) doing so.

I did wonder how dumb of an idea it would be to get a rally type shield for my undercarriage.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I run Yokohama IceGuard IG20s on mine and was pretty much unstoppable last winter.

That being said, I stripped out a lug stud putting my heavy-rear end summer tires back on. Are these pretty easy to replace or should I have a shop do it? I was quoted ~$65.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Buhbuhj posted:

Oh god you are in Buffalo. Perhaps you should invest in a snow blower attachment for your Mustang as well.

Naw. I'll drive it up until the roads start getting their yearly heavy saltings and then the wife and I can share the other car for two months. This was already planned out. The ponymobile will not be seeing the worst of buffalo weather.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Can I keep my summer tires on all year in Atlanta? I've never had a car with summer tires before.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

sudo rm -rf posted:

Can I keep my summer tires on all year in Atlanta? I've never had a car with summer tires before.

Yes.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sudo rm -rf posted:

I'd worry about that snow or freeze or w/e you got last winter that ruined everything. I'm planning on using my Pilot Super Sports all winter in Miami for what it's worth.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Q_res posted:

Deep Impact Blue, which most of the S550s on this forum seem to be.

It's a color so good, it's on the shortlist of colors I want to use to repaint my C10.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'd worry about that snow or freeze or w/e you got last winter that ruined everything. I'm planning on using my Pilot Super Sports all winter in Miami for what it's worth.

In Atlanta, it doesn't matter what tires you have. If it snows, stay the gently caress home. The other idiots will kill you no matter what you do.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I ran summers year round when I lived in Miami.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Cocoa Crispies posted:

wallaka posted:

In Atlanta, it doesn't matter what tires you have. If it snows, stay the gently caress home. The other idiots will kill you no matter what you do.

yeah if it'd ever snow i'd definitely just not drive

it may snow a day out of the year, if at all.

but the daily highs may dip between 30-40 for the months of January and February

wondering if driving in that for a couple months would really gently caress the PP pirelli's up

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sudo rm -rf posted:

Only thing to keep in mind is summer/performance tires will turn in to hockey pucks below 40 degrees or so. So for the few weeks where it is actually close to freezing, just keep a light touch on the gas until the tires have a chance to warm up. Otherwise you'll be going sideways immediately.

e: It doesn't gently caress them up at all, you just get less traction until they're warmer.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Wrar posted:

I ran summers year round when I lived in Miami.

White-walls I hope.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Gwaihir posted:

e: It doesn't gently caress them up at all, you just get less traction until they're warmer.

quote:

Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
welp :saddowns:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
The smoking tire's Matt drives a "white trash" race car in Greenwich CT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osRiEPXJM0o

and now Matt drives the Shelby GT350 in Limerock CT, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mVrjh5PyrA

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

If we are adding to the spreadshoot of goon stangs, here is mine.

http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Squid/2003-mustang-convertible-Mustang/memnoch-s-page/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Squid/2003-mustang-convertible-Mustang/memnoch-s-page/
Added.

And as someone who drove an '01 V6 up until a month ago, don't drive a coyote unless you are willing/able to buy.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

There's tiny people in your car

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bumming Your Scene posted:

There's tiny people in your car

It was a clown car in its previous life.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

sudo rm -rf posted:

yeah if it'd ever snow i'd definitely just not drive

it may snow a day out of the year, if at all.

but the daily highs may dip between 30-40 for the months of January and February

wondering if driving in that for a couple months would really gently caress the PP pirelli's up

I live in a similar latitude in Alabama. I've run max performance summer tires since 2008 with zero issues. This includes cars with over 500 whp. You'll be fine down to black ice temperatures as long as you're not a moron.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Gwaihir posted:

Only thing to keep in mind is summer/performance tires will turn in to hockey pucks below 40 degrees or so. So for the few weeks where it is actually close to freezing, just keep a light touch on the gas until the tires have a chance to warm up. Otherwise you'll be going sideways immediately.

I had to explain this to my wife when I accidentally got mine sideways at the first light form my house at 4am. Made my butthole pucker, she's like why do these tires exist blah blah.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

kalvick posted:

The smoking tire's Matt drives a "white trash" race car in Greenwich CT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osRiEPXJM0o

That description is wrong in regards to eligible cars for the American Iron series. Pretty much any American-made rear wheel drive car 1960-present is legal.

May as well add me to the spreadsheet. 1996 GT

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

blk96gt posted:

That description is wrong in regards to eligible cars for the American Iron series. Pretty much any American-made rear wheel drive car 1960-present is legal.

Put in a comment, I'm phone posting and will forget.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Cage told me that my inclination to not mess with my Mustang wouldn't last, and he was right. I'm seriously considering an exhaust for it right now. I'm thinking about ditching the resonator for an MRT H-pipe and getting an axle back to go with it. I've narrowed it down to the Borla S-type, Magnaflow Street, Ford Racing Touring or my current favorite, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjERMAAOwiE

The Steeda setup is $200 cheaper than the Borla axle back, and it with the H pipe comes out to just under $840. Though I do have to buy them from two separate places, but that's a minor inconvenience. And thoughts, suggestions?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

blk96gt posted:

Camaro Mustang Challenge car? I did corner work a few times at the motorsports ranch in Texas for those.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Q_res posted:

Cage told me that my inclination to not mess with my Mustang wouldn't last, and he was right. I'm seriously considering an exhaust for it right now. I'm thinking about ditching the resonator for an MRT H-pipe and getting an axle back to go with it. I've narrowed it down to the Borla S-type, Magnaflow Street, Ford Racing Touring or my current favorite, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjERMAAOwiE

The Steeda setup is $200 cheaper than the Borla axle back, and it with the H pipe comes out to just under $840. Though I do have to buy them from two separate places, but that's a minor inconvenience. And thoughts, suggestions?

I got the FRPP Touring axle-back for my '11 V6, and I've been extremely satisfied with it. You can keep it quiet when you want to, and make it roar when you can.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Camaro Mustang Challenge car? I did corner work a few times at the motorsports ranch in Texas for those.

Yup. Next race is at Texas World Speedway Sept 17-18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

blk96gt posted:

Yup. Next race is at Texas World Speedway Sept 17-18.

holy crap I think you are racing the guy who I bought mine from.