Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Does intellect affect the range of my barbarians Carnage ability? It seems to me that it does. Right now though I am thinking of Respeccing my Barbarian to a higher INT he has a 14 right now with +2 Armour. Just wanted to confirm the int thing does affect him.

It does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mustang posted:

Any tips for stat distribution for my dual wield cipher I'm about to start? First played part of the game a while ago on my laptop as a fighter but never finished and starting over on my desktop and don't really remember much of the game at all.

I think perception is really important for ciphers now since if one of your disables misses, you usually don't have the focus to just cast it again. Your spells are usually high impact, but more limited than other casters, so you really want to make them count. I'd put perception as the top priority, followed by int and dex about equally. Might is nice, but you'll deal solid damage even with mediocre might.

As a side note, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the mechanics here, I think dual wield becomes worse than shields or two handers for ciphers in the very late game. My understanding of why is as follows: base animation speed is determined by the specific action and your dexterity. Recovery speed, in the case of physical attacks, is either the same as the animation speed with dual wield or double the animation speed for other attacks. However, boosts to attack speed reduce recovery time up to 100% reduction, at which point recovery time is negated entirely and your character just continuously attacks. At that point, dual wield no longer has any advantage in speed over other attack styles unless you're using full attacks. This is pretty hard for most characters to attain consistently, but ciphers can reliably do it per encounter with time parasite and the right gear (durgan enhanced weapon with the speed property and a durgan enhanced shield together are already 50%), meaning that for a class that's likely to wear light armor, doesn't have access to full attacks, and can count on a huge boost to attack speed in every fight, dual wield is strictly worse than the alternatives.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

As a side note, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the mechanics here, I think dual wield becomes worse than shields or two handers for ciphers in the very late game. My understanding of why is as follows: base animation speed is determined by the specific action and your dexterity. Recovery speed, in the case of physical attacks, is either the same as the animation speed with dual wield or double the animation speed for other attacks. However, boosts to attack speed reduce recovery time up to 100% reduction, at which point recovery time is negated entirely and your character just continuously attacks. At that point, dual wield no longer has any advantage in speed over other attack styles unless you're using full attacks. This is pretty hard for most characters to attain consistently, but ciphers can reliably do it per encounter with time parasite and the right gear (durgan enhanced weapon with the speed property and a durgan enhanced shield together are already 50%), meaning that for a class that's likely to wear light armor, doesn't have access to full attacks, and can count on a huge boost to attack speed in every fight, dual wield is strictly worse than the alternatives.

That's generally correct, yes. The big thing you get for dual wielding is halved recovery time; and attack speed (as opposed to the action speed you get from dexterity) is just a straight reduction of total recovery time, which means that any attack speed increase/decrease is going to have less of an effect on dual wielders than single handers/two handers/sword and boarders.

The action cycle for a character dual wielding average weapons is around 30/30 frames of attack/recovery for a total of 60f; while a character with a single two handed melee weapon attacks on a 30/60f cycle for a total of 90f per action. With capped 100% attack speed they get no recovery, so both of them would attack with an identical 30f cycle, which means the dual wielder would increase his dps by 100% where a two handed character would have increased it by 200%, and the two handed weapon probably deals higher base damage to boot.

The corollary to that is that attack speed penalties are less significant on dual wielding than in other styles: a dual wielding character wearing plate (50% recovery increase) and no other bonuses attacks on a 30/45f cycle instead of a 30/30f one, for a total of 75f instead of 60, a mere 25% more time per attack; but a two handed character under the same situation would change his attack cycle from 30/60f (90f total) to 30/90f (120f total), a 33% increase.

So as a general rule: full attacks aside, if you intend to get a significant amount of bonus attack speed you use two handed/single handed/sword and board style. If you intend to act under an attack speed penalty, dual wield.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 5, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Snicker-Snack posted:

That's generally correct, yes. The big thing you get for dual wielding is halved recovery time; and attack speed (as opposed to the action speed you get from dexterity) is just a straight reduction of total recovery time, which means that any attack speed increase/decrease is going to have less of an effect on dual wielders than single handers/two handers/sword and boarders.

The action cycle for a character dual wielding average weapons is around 30/30 frames of attack/recovery for a total of 60f; while a character with a single a two handed melee weapon attacks on a 30/60f cycle for a total of 90f per action. With capped 100% attack speed they get no recovery, so both of them would attack with an identical 30f cycle, which means the dual wielder would increase his dps by 100% where a two handed character would have increased it by 200%, and the two handed weapon probably deals higher base damage to boot.

The corollary to that is that attack speed penalties are less significant on dual wielding than in other styles: a dual wielding character wearing plate (50% recovery increase) and no other bonuses attacks on a 30/45f cycle instead of a 30/30f one, for a total of 75f instead of 60, a mere 25% more time per attack; but a two handed character under the same situation would change his attack cycle from 30/60f (90f total) to 30/90f (120f total), a 33% increase.

So as a general rule: full attacks aside, if you intend to get a significant amount of bonus attack speed you use two handed/single handed/sword and board style. If you intend to act under an attack speed penalty, dual wield.

This actually clears up some questions that I had because right now I have my Barbarian equipped with the Tidefall sword that's a two handed great sword , he just demolishes large groups with it.

I enchanted it with Durgan Steel enchantment for the Attack Speed bonus and it's pretty glorious.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I favor dual wield on cipher because you usually get the focus you need a little faster due to the incremental nature of DW attacks.

It's all mostly a wash though in the end.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's a pretty good magic item for Ciphers called Talisman of the Unconquerable which I finally got on this play through but not on my last one. Seems pretty great. Haven't tried it yet though. It's random loot spawn though.

+ 2 Int while Endurance above 50%

+.25% Focus Gain while endurance above 50%

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Hollismason posted:

There's a pretty good magic item for Ciphers called Talisman of the Unconquerable which I finally got on this play through but not on my last one. Seems pretty great. Haven't tried it yet though. It's random loot spawn though.

Found it on my first run. It bugged up my Cipher's focus generation

They've fixed that though, right?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Rascyc posted:

I favor dual wield on cipher because you usually get the focus you need a little faster due to the incremental nature of DW attacks.

It's all mostly a wash though in the end.

I agree. And, the crazy attack speed stuff doesn't come until very late anyway, so dual wield is probably best for most of the game. But, two handed or sword and board is going to attack at the same speed as dual wield past level 13-14, so I guess if you want the most efficient character you hold off on Durganizing your offhand gear and respec once you get time parasite.

Hollismason posted:

I think it's guaranteed loot now in the white march, but you can possibly get another through random loot. And it is no longer bugged. It's a really good item.

After playing the game until the end of act 2 to the beginning of act 3 and restarting at least five times as well as restarting in act 1 several times, I've finally seen the ending. Now time to play through on PotD! Made it through most of act 1 in a couple of hours and it's not as bad as I thought, though there have been some very long and annoying strings of misses. After playing an almost entirely support focused Darcozzi Paladini with rapier and dagger, I want to try a Kind Wayfarer who contributes a little more offensively. To that end, I'm thinking Sworn Enemy + Flames of Devotion + a crit two-hander like Hours of St. Rumbalt or Tall Grass. Any advice or other equipment I should look out for?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Where did you find it at in The White March. I found it in a container on the side of Durgan's Battery.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Yeah, I've found it in that same container next to Durgan's Battery in two games now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I agree. And, the crazy attack speed stuff doesn't come until very late anyway, so dual wield is probably best for most of the game. But, two handed or sword and board is going to attack at the same speed as dual wield past level 13-14, so I guess if you want the most efficient character you hold off on Durganizing your offhand gear and respec once you get time parasite.

I think it's guaranteed loot now in the white march, but you can possibly get another through random loot. And it is no longer bugged. It's a really good item.

After playing the game until the end of act 2 to the beginning of act 3 and restarting at least five times as well as restarting in act 1 several times, I've finally seen the ending. Now time to play through on PotD! Made it through most of act 1 in a couple of hours and it's not as bad as I thought, though there have been some very long and annoying strings of misses. After playing an almost entirely support focused Darcozzi Paladini with rapier and dagger, I want to try a Kind Wayfarer who contributes a little more offensively. To that end, I'm thinking Sworn Enemy + Flames of Devotion + a crit two-hander like Hours of St. Rumbalt or Tall Grass. Any advice or other equipment I should look out for?

Yeah that Tide Fall sword that is in Cail the Silent's horde or the Two Handed Mace Rose whatever that is Draining.

I am fixing to test out Tall Grass with Durgan Steel enchantment.

edit:

Works pretty well. I'll have to keep track of it more but it seems that Vicious Fighting and the enchantment seem to stack. She's not doing the damage I'd like she does on a CRIT and if they have multiple afflictions some pretty insane 100+ damage. The only problem I have with using this with Devil of Caroc is her abysmally low Dexterity. It's just to low.

I was going to enchant her armour for +2 DEX but I know I'll get one of the +3 Rings of Dexterity so dunno what to do there.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

rope kid posted:

We didn't design new stronghold content for Part I, but it's been a focus for me for Part II.

This was a while ago and I ran through a dozen pages and didn't find the answer, so here goes:

Will the Stronghold content in Part II require a new game to experience?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Can you change class for your PC during respec or via a mod?

The DoC is so cool, she is overshadowing my PC Rogue in my "greedy bastard" play-through.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Only just started Pillars, and first play through has been treating me marvellously. I wanted to do a strong party face defender type, and so I have a Paladin of St. Elcga with a native Resolve of 17 (20 after items now). Most of the dialogue options I see for Resolve are incredibly aggressive and not terribly charismatic, or dialogues favour Perception instead, which just kind of comes out of left field for me. Anything that has been for my class has been specifically for every single order BUT St. Elcga, so I feel kind of gypped here. While I know that there's really no changing what's around, can I look forward to any interesting dialogue options for my Order, or ones that aren't Resolve=Forceful Douche/Perception=Charisma (for some reason)? Otherwise, I'm living my every Infinity Engine dream right now.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Basic Chunnel posted:

What's blonde Charlie Sheen doing in my adverts

He's smokin' a pipe, bein' all nonchalant.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Resolve is sort of like willpower, and most of the resolve dialogues tend towards "I'm not giving in on this" or "You can't talk me out of this" kinds of things.

Perception is more "I can see that you're nervous, why would you be nervous about this perfectly legitimate business opportunity?" or "*You notice that he's got a shifty sweaty lying face*".

Respeccing the player character in an Inn will let you reallocate your stats if you want, so you could switch things around if you wanted.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Resolve is a trap stat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You can just use stat boosters before you talk to someone to get resolve conversation stuff. I'm playing with a 9 resolve as a Barbarian and haven't seen any difference in the game really. It's my second play through though. I think there is food that actually raises your resolve. So with a rest + Gear + Food you can probably get that resolve stat you need. Also this is super important: Resolve can cost you gear just like throwing someone in your dungeon can cost you gear You resolved the conflict , I mean yeah I guess afterwards you can just murder them I guess if they don't leave.

Seriously, why the gently caress doesn't a NPC you throw in your dungeon have his gear put in your treasury?

I was super excited to get a dungeon as a evil person, but it does nothing :(. You also only seem to get a bonus out of beating someone once. I wanted a dungeon that was appropriate for a Evil person. All my guys escaped despite my 30 + Security and there's no way to hunt them down :(.

edit:

It's a trap stat.

2nd play through is very enjoyable. Once I got out of Act 1 and everything kind of sort of scaled back up to my level I'm really enjoying fights again. Barbarian with INT boosting is pretty boss. Sometimes I give him Tall Grass and go for that.

Tall Grass on a Rogue with the Durgan Steel Enchantment pretty much knocks a enemy prone all the drat time. With Vicious and Dirty fighting it seems to stack? Regular crits in the 80+ if I get two negatives on them 100+

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 6, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

there aren't any dump stats in PoE unless you're the sort of sperg who gets off on supremely marginal benefit (so, the entire thread population).

The only food buff to resolve is prepared dragon meat, and the +3 stronghold benefit is much better used on intelligence or perception. You'll definitely notice min-maxed concentration if you run a two-handed melee combatant, the effect is somewhat masked by the short cooldowns on dual-wielding. One of the many reasons to pity systems designers: a system that can't be munchkin'd is unfair (or "overbalanced"), one that can is poorly made.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basic Chunnel posted:

there aren't any dump stats in PoE unless you're the sort of sperg who gets off on supremely marginal benefit (so, the entire thread population).

The only food buff to resolve is prepared dragon meat, and the +3 stronghold benefit is much better used on intelligence or perception. You'll definitely notice min-maxed concentration if you run a two-handed melee combatant, the effect is somewhat masked by the short cooldowns on dual-wielding. One of the many reasons to pity systems designers: a system that can't be munchkin'd is unfair (or "overbalanced"), one that can is poorly made.

Interrupts are just a flat 0.5/0.75 etc. second pause. It shouldn't matter what weapon-type you're using, it doesn't reset the attack to the beginning of the cycle.

iirc

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I really hope they expand the Dungeon system and what you can do with it in the New Expansion and that the New Expansion is all high level content.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Look forward to fighting new monsters that I'll easily CC them to death

e: at least make all the new zones in Part 2 just like Cragholdt's fights

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Hollismason posted:

Also this is super important: Resolve can cost you gear just like throwing someone in your dungeon can cost you gear You resolved the conflict , I mean yeah I guess afterwards you can just murder them I guess if they don't leave.

That's just every stat. You can pick that [Intelligence] or [Resolve] option if you want, but they're not 'I win the dialogue' buttons. Often it lets you resolve stuff peacefully or make fights easier, but you can missing out on loot or the quest resolution you really want.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

frajaq posted:

Look forward to fighting new monsters that I'll easily CC them to death

e: at least make all the new zones in Part 2 just like Cragholdt's fights

Addendum : Please remove all Drunken Orlans from all future games.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Just finished the meat of the expansion, and I loved it. Can't wait for Part 2.

The MAS version of White March (2.01.0721 PX1) had some issues with tracking kills for Sagani and Stormcaller but then seemed to sort itself out. It's also a bit flaky under 10.11.

I still have to do Cragholdt, the bounties, and the Alpine Dragon. Should have no problem hitting cap. I may actually knock off the bounties before I do Cragholdt and therefore go in there at max level. Is this a sensible option?l

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That's totally doable

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

i wouldn't really try to go for Cragholdt until Level 13 or 14. It's easily the hardest area in the game.

MidnightHailstorm
Feb 10, 2014

Hollismason posted:

I was super excited to get a dungeon as a evil person, but it does nothing :(.

Do your party members flip you off and leave if you're Evil enough? Or at least yell at you? I think Planescape: Torment ruined any future evil playthroughs even in other games for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No not really. No one has any reaction to what you do good or bad really other than some dialogue. Maybe I am just not evil enough and there's a way to be super evil? Not sure I just select cruel and aggressive dialogue choices. I actually have Eder murder supplicants who come to my castle expecting to be paid off. Now thats if they show up in the Great Hall. My game improved vastly when I realized I could just travel back to Cad Nua and murder supplicants. Also not only can you murder them you get copper for it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 8, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I actually have Eder murder supplicants who come to my castle expecting to be paid off.

I give them an enjoyable three-day walk with Durance for company.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So I'm fighting a huge loving dragon that intermittently one shots 4 of my party members from full health. Is this the game's way of saying I actually need to have everyone spamming nothing but CC on it?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There's very little in the game that can't be managed by a change in tactics. The adra dragon hosed me up til I drew him into a far corner and utilized all my best consumables (including dragon meat from Hylea's Rest, ironically). Pay attention to their greatest weaknesses and plan spell usage around that, use summons, and draw up some scrolls of Moonwell on a high INT character, that thing has saved my rear end on really hard fights.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Equip everyone who can cast Level 3 scrolls with Scrolls of Paralysis. Cast Paralysis. Then debuff with other spells that target Fortitude when it is paralysied. Kill Dragon. Scrolls of Maelstrom etc.. all work really well just do that over and over. Debuff as much as possible and pay attention to the timer on paralysis. I killed every single dragon in the game with that tactic on normal and hard. Sometimes follow up with Petrify as well.

Also, sometimes the adradragon breathes fire from paralysis. This wasn't my tactic but once you realize how well it works you use it everytime.

Watchful Presence is also really great.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 9, 2015

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Casually wandered into the Cragholdt area last night with a 6 person, well geared (including durgan enhancements), level 14 party. First group was pretty simple, then came up against a Warpriest and his friends and got absolutely fisted.

This is going to be GREAT. :)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait till you get to the monks that all have the split into two people or whatever the gently caress that is they have.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I just did it by having Aloth use every single CC spell in two tomes. Welp, it worked.

I just wish coping with 60 second load screens every 15 seconds was as easy :qq:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I found that with scrolls of valor and protection against fear, you can at least graze dragons with CC before they kill your whole party, then once they're disabled, just make sure they never get to act again. Druids are especially strong against them with hold beasts, spreading plague and their level 5 petrify spell. Priests are good too: one repulsing seal and the fight's over.If you don't have any vancian casters at all, though, I guess it would have to be unending scrolls of paralysis.

Surprisingly, I didn't have any trouble with the mercenaries at all. But I fought them with a custom gimmick party that sucked for most of the game then turned out to be super strong once they got white march stuff. High level ciphers with good focus generation are especially fun: time parasite > poke, poke, poke, poke > overwhelming wave > fight's over

Chemical_Ali
Sep 30, 2005

War Criminal
What are some viable triple crown solo builds?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't see how people actually finish the game with only 3 party members especially trying to do the Bounty Quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

You rest a shitload so you can blow all those once/rest summon items.

• Locked thread