Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello, Goons. Chairman Liquid Communism here.

Welcome back to Newbie Iron Chef Something Awful. As we have had much attention lately from new arrivals to our humble abode, it seems like the perfect time to revive an old tradition.

I come to you today with a challenge.

One of the most basic of all baked goods is the humble pie. What is a pie? A pie is a dish of sweet or savory filling baked within a pastry crust. An American staple.

The first pie recipe recorded was for a chicken pie, etched into a stone tablet in Sumeria, more than 4000 years ago. Pastry (fat, flour, and water) is first mentioned by the ancient Greeks, 2500 years ago. In short, pie is an ancient and traditional dish that appears across nearly every culture. Nearly everything we are capable of eating has, at one point or another, been baked into a pie. From the traditional American double-crust apple pie like Mom used to make, to late-night chip shop meat pies in Britain, there are an endless variety available.

The cool days of fall are upon us, and as the harvest rolls in our thoughts turn to traditional and comforting food. Warm chicken pot pie, fresh from the oven with bubbling gravy beneath a golden brown crust. The ever popular pumpkin pie, sweet and spiced beneath a dollop of whipped cream. The heady scent of baked apples alongside rich vanilla ice cream.

Your challenge?

Make me a pie. Document it with photos and text. Then show us all.

Remember, NICSA is a cooking challenge, aimed towards those readers who have not competed in such things before, designed to be less intimidating by removing professionals and previous winners from competition. Any goon is welcome and encouraged to enter, regular member of the GWS community or not!

The Rules :

1. Newbies Only - Previous ICSA winners, regular entrants, and those who make a living in the pie business are not eligible for final voting. They are more than welcome to bake a pie and show it to us, though!

2. Please post entries as a separate post in Something Offal, and post a link to it in this thread.

3. For the purposes of our competition, a pie will be defined as a dish of pastry crust filled with or surrounding a savory or sweet filling. Single or double crust pies are acceptable. Yes, quiche and pasties count.

4. Only one pie may be entered into competition. Bake as many as you like, but please indicate which is your entry in your post.

5. Pics or it didn't happen. Show us your creation!

6. The Chairman reserves the right to disqualify any entry.

You have 3 weeks. Entries are due on the 25th of October, and judging will run through Halloween on the 31st.

Our winner, as chosen by the votes of our esteemed fellow goons will receive a copy of one of my own favorite baking books, Rose Levy Beranbaum's Pie and Pastry Bible, as well as a token of our esteem.

So, without further ado...

Allez cuisine!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

As a bitter contrarian, I will submit a paleo pie :colbert:

Already did for a paleo friend last weekend. gently caress him, though, actual entry will probably be a chess pie. Never made one before but love me some buttermilk pie.

Or some random recipe I stumble across and decide to do up.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what? I thought 5 courses of sesame related items was already a lot, now we need to submit 5 courses of sesame pies? this is stupid, I don't know if I can do this anymore.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

mindphlux posted:

what? I thought 5 courses of sesame related items was already a lot, now we need to submit 5 courses of sesame pies? this is stupid, I don't know if I can do this anymore.

This is the NICSA, pies. Not the ICSA, sesame.

I want what you're on.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 7, 2015

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fo3 posted:

This is the NICSA, pies. Not the ICSA, sesame.

I want what you're on.
What? The ICSA sesame is canceled in favor of NICSA pies?!?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't know whether you are loving with me or this whisky is bad. Liquid Communism just mentioned a NICSA in the ICSA thread and linked it to here.
The ICSA sesame is still going ahead, one entry is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745104

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 7, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Not sure, but if I can come up with a sesame pie, I'll enter this ICSA.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I can't loving believe this. Was really looking forward to entering battle sesame.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Gonna contribute to this one. To pies!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Hmm, I'm thinking something traditional and something new for mine. Gonna make so much pie dough.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I may do this. Only reason I wouldn't is I actually pied quite a bit the last month, which is unusual for me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

the pies have to be 7 different colors. like a rainbow.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Ooh just in time for me to use my apples and/or walnuts just harvested from my grandma's trees! Nice opportunity to try baking a pie for the first time ever!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm planning on a pumpkin pie

Yummy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I picked up a Sweet Meat squash from a local farm, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to use it. Cardamom "pumpkin" pie? Yes, please.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I dropped a pie on yall

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746292

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pie? On the second page?

:mediocre:

Ten days remain to make a pie!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Seriously, winning by default would make me feel pathetic. I want to see some awesome pies that make me feel shame, instead. Shame for even TRYING.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hello GWS, I pied.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hooray pie!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pie club LIVES!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I am planning a pie too! I just have to get my lazy rear end off my warm, cozy couch and to the store first...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The Jaguars lost, so I made a pie in rage.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747436

MUSCADINES. Seasonal and interesting! Also, breast cancer awareness!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I promised, and I pie'd. If a Kindly Mod could add the "16" I forgot from the title, I'd be much obliged.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747446

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

GENTLEMEN!

Six days remain to commit the joyous act of pie!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Suspect Bucket posted:

The Jaguars lost, so I made a pie in rage.

You must make a lot of pie.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am not sure I am allowed in this. I won the NICSA: SPAM a while ago, which had a stellar two entries. Can I still participate?

Edit: Was actually a regular ICSA, it was NR. 53 back in 2012. I am not even sure whether I actually won...or we drew... can't find it in the searches any more.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 19, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

In honor of this thread, I have made my own modest contribution, not for judging of course, but as an example of what an afternoon's effort can create.

BEHOLD!

A pair of pumpkin pies, ready for the oven. 15 minutes at 425, followed by an hour at 350 later...

The spotting is because I ran out of ground cloves, and had to take a mortar and pestle to some whole ones instead. They aren't as finely ground as I'd like, but they taste fine!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Scientastic posted:

You must make a lot of pie.

Nah, last couple times I've made fritatta, dehydrated some pineapple, and Baba Ganouche. Cooking soothes me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hopper posted:

I am not sure I am allowed in this. I won the NICSA: SPAM a while ago, which had a stellar two entries. Can I still participate?

Edit: Was actually a regular ICSA, it was NR. 53 back in 2012. I am not even sure whether I actually won...or we drew... can't find it in the searches any more.

Make a pie anyway so we can say nice things about it.

BTW no one vote for mine I want to participate in NISCA forever.

edit: ah poo poo I double posted, sorry.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 20, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Man, I can't believe there's been so little interest in pie. gently caress, ya'll are gonna make me have to get out my recipes and do something about it.

Edit: I think I may have overpied. I pied too greedily, too deep.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 22, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
More pie proffered

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I made a pie! But I'm not eligible to enter NICSA so I just took a finished shot, except maybe I didn't actually push the shutter, or maybe I forgot to actually take the picture. So there's no pics. But I made an amazing sweet potato slab pie out of all the loving sweet potatoes my CSA keeps giving me. I hate sweet potatoes and I hate sweet potato pie, except maybe I just hate how people put 4 cups of sugar in it, because mine was delicious. I drizzled it with homemade pomegranate syrup.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drink and Fight posted:

I made a pie! But I'm not eligible to enter NICSA so I just took a finished shot, except maybe I didn't actually push the shutter, or maybe I forgot to actually take the picture. So there's no pics. But I made an amazing sweet potato slab pie out of all the loving sweet potatoes my CSA keeps giving me. I hate sweet potatoes and I hate sweet potato pie, except maybe I just hate how people put 4 cups of sugar in it, because mine was delicious. I drizzled it with homemade pomegranate syrup.

Give me all your sweet potatoes. I love them. But your pie seems to be why we do these contests! You've discovered a new use for a food you otherwise did not like. My pie did the same for my boss, who hates Muscadines and the arbor of them on her property. My pie changed her mind :)

A good NICSA would be "Foods You Hate". Taking food you've never liked, and find a way to prepare it that you enjoy. I personally would tackle... Ugh... Cabbage and carrots.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I went back and perfected my NICSA entry. The first time was kind of half-assed and I made some big mistakes, so I cleaned that up and took pictures of the second time through. That's kosher, right? It's the same pie, just done right.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I decided to make a pie. Since I dunno if I am eligible, I just made one anyway but did not flag it as NICSA. (And because it's late I forgot to set a flag so now it is a shitpost.)
Sadly I had issues with my pie dough, but I decided to post it anyway.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748443

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

THREE HOURS REMAIN TO PIE.

I appreciate all of your entries!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chefs, put down your tools!

All entries are complete, a judging thread will go up later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I can't wait! So many great entries!

• Locked thread