Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Does ED really suck? I was under the impression that it's still some kind of early beta release and that more content is coming?

ED is, IMO, a solid game foundation but it's currently pretty easy to describe as bland. They have impressive plans for the future so as long as these come to pass (and it looks like they will) it will get better and better and it's pretty solid. Right now, it's euro truck simulator in space with some pew pew thrown in. I've been playing it for a couple of weeks and I'm enjoying it, but it's wearing a bit thin at this point :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jaegerx posted:

Yes, it was like 12 floppy disks. It got released around 96 or so and cdroms were still those weird carosel carry case things.

e: windows 95 was on floppies as well. It was like 25 or so.

Did they ship different versions? Because I bought mine as soon as it came out and it was definitely a CD with gray/silver background and a spaceship on the cover.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MeLKoR posted:

Did they ship different versions? Because I bought mine as soon as it came out and it was definitely a CD with gray/silver background and a spaceship on the cover.

No idea, I had it on 3.5in disks. Same way I installed windows 95. Derek would have to let us know. I'm sure the publisher did it in as many ways as possible. It was technically a dos game and I don't remember very man dos cdrom games.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

SirTagz posted:

Was it ever on floppies? DS scammed me of my money when it came out but as I remember it was on a CD.
I got my copies for free off these:

Dsmart had to come in and provide a no-CD .exe to get it working :v:

BogDew fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 7, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Did I miss the second coming of D. 'The Doctor Derek' Smart Dogg, esq? Has anyone told him about the coffee machine?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DancingShade posted:

When it has the same features Elite: Frontier First Encounter had give me a call.

Still can't believe it shipped without planets working.

First Encounters was a buggy piece of poo poo when it shipped, to the point that PC Zone's feature on it was illustrated with a picture of a turd wrapped in a bow.

It did let you dump cargo containers full of slaves onto the Eiffel Tower though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Thief 1/2 were such great games.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

First Encounters was a buggy piece of poo poo when it shipped, to the point that PC Zone's feature on it was illustrated with a picture of a turd wrapped in a bow.

It did let you dump cargo containers full of slaves onto the Eiffel Tower though.

Can't wait to do that when we get to land of earth, good idea.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Fil5000 posted:

This is true, but I loved the way the newspaper interacted with the plot. It was pretty basic, but the idea of being able to read up on where the profit was - and it actually happening in game, wowzers! - or being picked out as the rear end in a top hat who assassinated some dude or bombed some installation was amazing back to me back then. Wonderful idea, dodgy execution; especially with nobody giving a hint of a poo poo once you're tooling around the galaxy in (really, I'm not sure I have to spoiler this) a thargoid warship.

Anyway, if they manage to pull off the fully developed ideas that were mere seeds back in that game in E:D they can have my cash forever*; that's a fun game to play. It looks like they're driving at that, so who knows? What's this about a space plague anyway? INRA related hijinx? Are they kicking all of this off now?

E:

*Sorry, since this is the Star Citizen thread let me clarify: 'have my cash forever' means I will purchase their product and/or service once released and once I am satisfied via multiple third party sources and opinions and my own appraisal that the product and/or service will meet a standard of quality and scope that I am confident I will enjoy. 'Purchase' means pay the asking price offered at time of purchase, and not a penny more.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 7, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

We're all ill informed. :downsbravo:

Thing is, most of the time a company that collects public investors does so through a stock exchange, and the stock exchange requires that the company share details on its financial state that can be published so members of the public can make informed decisions about investing with them. If anything, it's CIG in this case who's acting entitled, since they're taking advantage of the lack of regulation in crowdfunding to be able to raise public funds without public scrutiny, and moaning about it when called on it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Gerblyn posted:

Thing is, most of the time a company that collects public investors does so through a stock exchange, and the stock exchange requires that the company share details on its financial state that can be published so members of the public can make informed decisions about investing with them. If anything, it's CIG in this case who's acting entitled, since they're taking advantage of the lack of regulation in crowdfunding to be able to raise public funds without public scrutiny, and moaning about it when called on it.

We got nothing, they got money.

Except jpegs.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TheHoosier posted:

Someone more talented than me should take the Metal Gear FOX logo, change the animal to a whale, and replace the letters with C I G

this is as much effort as i am willing to put in

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Paladinus posted:

Did I miss the second coming of D. 'The Doctor Derek' Smart Dogg, esq? Has anyone told him about the coffee machine?

i think the better question is, has anyone warned the coffee machine about derek smart?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Decrepus posted:

Can we get a Dsmart clan tag?

CLAM DOWN posted:

What would that even look like

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I still don't understand why this thread is in Games, when Star Citizen is anything but a game.

Bring Smart Room back, imo.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

delete boot.ini

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

I still don't understand why this thread is in Games, when Star Citizen is anything but a game.

Bring Smart Room back, imo.

Star Citizen is FUBAR. Bring back the Smart Room.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

If the Smart Room was full of Line of Defence patch notes, would it be very full or very empty?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Derek Smart Sir, how sure are you that the meltdown will happen in Q1 2016? Are there facts to support this?

Just a Yes or No would suffice. No need explanations, we understand.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

I believe he told us.

Also what is the name reveal supposed to be. It's after 4:00 AM EST.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Derek Smart gang tag should be "Smart People"

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

Derek Smart gang tag should be "Smart People"

since clan tags can usually only be 4 it should be [SMRT].

Which is kinda fitting to be honest.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

krazysigmarite posted:

Dreams

Dreams happen now

Can't post that without the sequel:

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
guys "relationship" with company selling video game is like all his other relationships in that it is imaginary

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

I sense a disturbance in the 'verse.
So close, but yet so far. The cult shall never be wrong!

Sauce: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/288043/somehow-he-managed-to-do-it [concierge paywall]

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Gryphon0468 posted:

Because endeavor is the name of the new ship released recently.

Yeah, it was "released". Right.

How many wank pods did you buy for yours?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Gryphon0468 posted:

Because endeavor is the name of the new ship released recently.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS
https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

64 job openings, 6 of which are in Austin. Tell me again why a company about to run out of money would be looking to fill a further 64 positions?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gryphon0468 posted:

64 job openings, 6 of which are in Austin. Tell me again why a company about to run out of money would be looking to fill a further 64 positions?

Because they'll make more money on CitCon by selling jpegs to dumb idiots like you.

Or maybe all jpeg-makers decided to leave and they need to find new ones quickly. Like, they mostly need artists, when you look at it.

E: Also, by the amount of devs they need for SC42 you can tell it's not going to be out any time soon. Or, you know, ever.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 7, 2015

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Maldoror posted:

You sillies, they most likely didn't get a nice real semi auto or full commercial machine with a portafilter where you grind and tamp the shot yourself, they got some super automatic crap with a built in grinder and milk fridge.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/categories/commercial/commercial-espresso-machines?from=17865.0&sort=featured&to=22400.0

A portafilter machine requires a little effort and skill, and a seperate grinder of comparable quality and capacity. Does that sound like something CIG would want? :)

I'd wager they probably got a Rancilio Egro One Touch Top Milk, or something like it.

The stupid thing is, a ~$800 Rancilio Silvia with a PID and a ~$300 Rancilio Rocky grinder will make a superior espresso than ANY super automatic, even a $20,000 one. (It just can't handle volume for more than a couple people.)

I could be wrong, perhaps they did get a semi auto portafilter commercial machine, commercial grinder, and hired an on site professional barista to operate it. :mmmhmm:

Just confirming the quality of the Rancilio Silvia, it's fantastic. Have one myself.
He would have been better off putting two in each studio.
Absolute waste.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We have this lovely (free) vending machine at work that makes coffee from actual beans and I'm perfectly fine with its espresso. I mean, it's as bitter and unpleasant as any other cup of espresso I tasted and I loving hate coffee. Hope you all die of a heart attack or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Paladinus posted:

E: Also, by the amount of devs they need for SC42 you can tell it's not going to be out any time soon. Or, you know, ever.

Yeah I was about to post, that hiring list looks like the people you gather to start a project, not help polish one up for release.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hate coffee but basically need it to wake up in the morning, so I down espresso as quickly as possible so I can move on to a drink I actually like. Most drip coffee tastes like warm mud to me though.

Also that sudden need for a bunch of new artists is actually really sketchy, sorry Gryphon[numbersname].

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ayn Randi posted:

guys "relationship" with company selling video game is like all his other relationships in that it is imaginary

don't let the #brands hear it, you'll hurt their feelings.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Gryphon0468 posted:

Why would they be pretending everything is okay while selling more jpegs of spaceships? What could they possibly benefit from not telling the truth? Why has their web site not been replaced with a picture of Chris Roberts crying while looking at a bank balance that reads "$0"? HUH? Check and mate goons. :smug:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gryphon0468 posted:

Derek Smart says they are going to run out of money soon, that's based on rumours of how much is remaining, 8 million, their unknown but high burn rate and the assumption that people will stop handing over cash for promises.

As the rumours indicate that the Austin office will be moving and downsizing to a different location, also indicated by your job link, and they went from a public figure in June of 500 developers (internal + contractors) to a recent 260 figure, it seems they are drastically reducing their burn rate by binning contractors like Illfonic and making savings in other areas like rent.

There are no signs so far that people are going to stop handing over cash for promises, so that means the "soon" mentioned above might actually be using the CIG definition of the word.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AP posted:

Derek Smart says they are going to run out of money soon, that's based on rumours of how much is remaining, 8 million, their unknown but high burn rate and the assumption that people will stop handing over cash for promises.

As the rumours indicate that the Austin office will be moving and downsizing to a different location, also indicated by your job link, and they went from a public figure in June of 500 developers (internal + contractors) to a recent 260 figure, it seems they are drastically reducing their burn rate by binning contractors like Illfonic and making savings in other areas like rent.

There are no signs so far that people are going to stop handing over cash for promises, so that means the "soon" mentioned above might actually be using the CIG definition of the word.

Even if they don't collapse in the next few months, so long as there's no sign of actual substantive progress with the game it's just a matter of time.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gryphon0468 posted:

https://buttimperiumgames.com/jobs

Bitcoin prices are going up, uP, UP!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Even if they don't collapse in the next few months, so long as there's no sign of actual substantive progress with the game it's just a matter of time.

For a real crisis of confidence a large number of people will need to admit they might have been conned and as seen from Gryphon0468, there's real mental resistance to that. Short of the Escapist releasing another extremely damaging piece I don't see much danger of it happening till next year.

I think we're still at the stage where if Chris Roberts stumbled on stage on Saturday, puked on the front row, giggled and was carried out there'd be rage filled posts about the incredible and unfair stress Derek Smart has put him under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

...if Chris Roberts stumbled on stage on Saturday, puked on the front row, giggled and was carried out ...

Don't spoil my dreams. They are all I have.
Fingers crossed!

• Locked thread