Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

Who is the Goon who makes all the beer in this thread?

It is me

Hello Gaz2k21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
motoring chat: last christmas eve driving home from work i got stuck behind a car that kept slowing down and speeding up to a maximum of about 30mph around country roads despite good conditions. i assumed it was someone pissed and lost but it turned out to be an old man and woman and two dogs enjoying a sort of dashboard picnic and having a nosey at peoples' christmas lights

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Jose posted:

this wanker was doing barely above 20 in the 30mph bits and i was constantly dropping into 3rd on bends that i can do in 4th at 30

The Class A Surrey Moron Driver is worse. 45mph and tailgating everyone in a 30. 45 for no apparent reason in a nsl zone. 45 in a school zone. Also 45 when overtaking cyclists, riders and pedestrians, badly and over a blind crest. Very angry at other road users but doesn't know why (it's because some of them have read the highway code and remembered some of it, but our subject is unaware of this). Has a complete collection of the works of Jeremy Clarkson in the downstairs loo. Ok now I'm just speculating.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Saga posted:

The Class A Surrey Moron Driver is worse. 45mph and tailgating everyone in a 30. 45 for no apparent reason in a nsl zone. 45 in a school zone. Also 45 when overtaking cyclists, riders and pedestrians, badly and over a blind crest. Very angry at other road users but doesn't know why (it's because some of them have read the highway code and remembered some of it, but our subject is unaware of this). Has a complete collection of the works of Jeremy Clarkson in the downstairs loo. Ok now I'm just speculating.

that's me

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

rubicon is the bees knees

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I see crispix has met my parents then.

My mum is a bit odd, up until this year when the last one finally died, she exclusively drive ford cosworth RS cars, she was truly a 17 year old boy from Essex trapped in the body of a 60 year old accountant from Yorkshire. I remember the day when she came running into the house all in a fluster, dragged us outside and pointed to her new gleaming white sapphire cosworth with a poo poo eating grin on her face and went "Look children! It's got a spoiler!!!!!"

She also owned the only cosworth modified Ford Focus In the world with a dog gate in it.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 7, 2015

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Fluo posted:

It is me

Hello Gaz2k21

Hello Fluo,

wondered if I could pick your brain, the missus is doing a master's in brewing science, I'm looking for Xmas presents for her and thought a book or something might be nice, not necessarily a reference book as I'm sure the course has that covered but something relevant to brewing have you got any idea's/recom
endations???

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008
Sausages at NEC this week

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Hello Fluo,

wondered if I could pick your brain, the missus is doing a master's in brewing science, I'm looking for Xmas presents for her and thought a book or something might be nice, not necessarily a reference book as I'm sure the course has that covered but something relevant to brewing have you got any idea's/recom
endations???

Pedricko posted:

Sausages at NEC this week

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gaz2k21 posted:

Hello Fluo,

endations???

get her a Merry Widow full of hops

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The tenancy references have come through, it seems the last step is the agreements. Time to research what poo poo counts as unfair tenancy agreements!

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Gaz2k21 posted:

Hello Fluo,

endations???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0711226423/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_aTnfwbRT6C602

:rip:

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Imagine going out with a woman who is doing a masters in brewing science

Congrats, you just imagined dating a man.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I feel very excluded by all this car chat.

(I've never had a licence. Shank's mare for me, or our fine and not at all expensive and slow public transport system)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kind of want a cheeky nap but i only got up 2 hours ago??

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
What would be cheeky about it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fingerless Gloves posted:

The tenancy references have come through, it seems the last step is the agreements. Time to research what poo poo counts as unfair tenancy agreements!

Did you end up doctoring your mam's pay slips?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Party Boat why arent you more supportive of your wifes running?????

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm extremely supportive I'll have you know

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
She's turned to me for stellar advice in the running thread like

"running is easy, just put one foot in front of the other, but do it quickly"

Did you do the run as well?

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

The Big Taff Man posted:

She's turned to me for stellar advice in the running thread like

"running is easy, just put one foot in front of the other, but do it quickly"

Did you do the run as well?

It is. You just run a bit and then you stop and order a pizza.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I see crispix has met my parents then.

My mum is a bit odd, up until this year when the last one finally died, she exclusively drive ford cosworth RS cars, she was truly a 17 year old boy from Essex trapped in the body of a 60 year old accountant from Yorkshire. I remember the day when she came running into the house all in a fluster, dragged us outside and pointed to her new gleaming white sapphire cosworth with a poo poo eating grin on her face and went "Look children! It's got a spoiler!!!!!"

She also owned the only cosworth modified Ford Focus In the world with a dog gate in it.

your mum owns

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

DrWrestling69 posted:

It is. You just run a bit and then you stop and order a pizza.

I cant believe Party Boat wont let his wife eat pizza

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I did the race

I was suffering from a work night out the day before but managed just under an hour which I was happy with

Kluliss did really well for her first 10k, it was a challenging course with lots of climb

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Looks like me, Party Boat and Kluliss are having a big meet up at the Great North Run next year

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This pizza based slander is vile and without basis

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Party Boat posted:

This pizza based slander is vile and without basis

you've already admitted itt to eating a calzone smh

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jose posted:

you've already admitted itt to eating a calzone smh

My wife and I are firmly pro pizza Jose, keep up

I've never had a good GNR, it's my nemesis at this point. If I crack two hours this year I'll take Taff, Rachel and Kluliss for a pizza

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I cracked 2 hours at my last half but I think the GNR is much more crowded but I'll have another year of running under my belt so who knows.

I cant believe you're forcing your wife to do a half marathon before you'll allow her pizza

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

goatface posted:

Why have they never made mango Tango?

:eyepop:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
They have made mango tango but it might have only been in ice blast form

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Are you still doing that hill marathon next month Taff?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Party Boat posted:

Are you still doing that hill marathon next month Taff?

Yeah. 5 miles last night, 8 tonight, 5 tomorrow then 5 mile saturday and a whopper of a 20 mile run sunday.

Its not really that big a deal, theres gonna be a fair bit of walking, its just going to be how the legs take it. Ive got 2 20 mile runs to do in the next few weeks and then training starts tapering

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
why are we talking about guns n roses

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

corn in the fridge posted:

why are we talking about guns n roses

No sillyhead they're talking about the Great Northern Railway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_Railway_%28Great_Britain%29

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Went to brum last night and thought about trying 5 guys but it seemed really expensive so we went to yo sushi instead.

Honestly quite like the new station

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

freelop posted:

Went to brum last night and thought about trying 5 guys but it seemed really expensive so we went to yo sushi instead.

Honestly quite like the new station

You thought about having five guys but they were charging you too much?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

Hello Fluo,

endations???

Yep I got a recommendations.

Like you said she already must have reference books and such to cover the course so I'll categorize my book recommendations:

Brewing Element Books

Water

Yeast

Malt

Hops

They get extremely advance and especially the yeast one is most likely the most indepth book I know on the subject which isn't some University £340 book. Not bought Hops yet but Water, Yeast and Malt are so indepth and interesting (if you're into that etc). I'll use the Yeast one to give you an idea.

Just make sure that she doesn't own any of these yet though and her books might cover most of them anyway. Water is pretty outstanding too.

Enjoyable Reads / More Causal

• Radical Brewing: Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass, By Randy Mosher (Foreworded by Michael Jackson)[. Quite dated now (2004) but its been the most useful book in the last few years for getting ideas and getting references for spices, herbs, fruit and such. Aswell as coming up with new recipes [the ethos is the book is not to copy the recipes but to inspire]. For example Strawberries are terrible in beer and the flavour fades fast, if you were to use them you'd need about 2lb per gallon and you'd have to freshly pick them (not buy from them supermarket). Freeze then thaw all your fruit prior to putting your beer on them because it breaks the cell walls down. Doing a gruit? Be careful of yarrow etc etc

• Wildbrews: Beer Beyond the Influence of Brewer’s Yeast, By Jeff Sparrow. The best book for anything and everything to do with sour beers, wild yeast and bacteria. History of the Belgian sours, brewers and brews. Goes quite advance into Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, Saccharomyces and other microorganisms that can be found in Belgian sours. Temperatures and pretty much everything you need to know. Goes full into the turbin mash and tells the Wyeast’s shortcut / cheat way of doing it. Aswell as some recipes on the back for Lambic, Flanders Pale, Red, Brown and such. If you are interested in sour beers this is a must buy, even if you’re not a brewer. Some cool photos too!
    This book is still good, but wrote this prior to American Sours coming out. The all round best book if she is into Sour Beers is American Sour Beers, unless she loves Belgian history and such.

• American Sour Beers By Michael Tonsmeire. If she likes or enjoys sour beers this is the book for her. It's written by the guy at http://www.themadfermentationist.com/ and its outstanding. Can't praise it enough, just everything about it from all the many souring techniques to recipes to history to the little things like maintaining and taking care of your oak barrels etc.

• Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition, By Phil Marowski. Everything there is to know about Bière de Garde and Saisons. If she isn't into the farmhouse / farmbarn type beers don’t get this. If you are you’ll be in for a treat. Goes into detail about the history, style and such and the different techquies and different types of Saisons and Bière de Garde you can get out of it.

• Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them, By Tim Webb. It pretty much covers everything that isn’t in the Farmhouse Ales or Wildbrews, again Belgian. History, styles, processes, a couple of photos and finishes with a couple of recipes to give you an idea of each style. Enjoyable read about the history of styles and such with some techniques and recipes.

• Complete Guide to Growing Your Own Hops, Malts & Brewing Herbs (Back to Basics Growing) By John Peragine. Do you own a garden and does she have green fingers? Well this one is great, everything from growing your own barley, alt grains, hops and such to looking over them and everything you need to know from seed to harvest to looking after prior to next harvest etc. Also how to malt your own grains once harvested and such. Diseases to watch out for, what works best in your garden/climate etc etc. I've just recently harvested my first year of hops thanks to it. :)

Photo taken about a month prior to harvest. Should have done a long shot, the 12 hop rhizzones went up about 18foot

• Tasting Beer By Randy Mosher. Is she a foodie? This book is outstanding for food pairing, being able to practice picking out faults with the beer, subtle differences and all things foodies love to do.

• Smoked Beers: History, Brewing Techniques, Recipes By Ray Daniels. 75% history, 20% technique 5% recipe. But if her favourite style of beer is smoked [mainly German/Polish] this book is extremely interesting.

Theres alot more books I'd recommend (and alot I wouldn't, been stung a few times with terrible books in the past) but it really depends on what she is into [I bolded the two enjoyable/causal reading ones that I recommend the most]. The Brew Like a Monk / Farmhouse Ales / Wildbrews are enjoyable reads but its mostly about the history of the beer styles and such. American Sour Beers is top of my recommendation list if she wants something enjoyable and interesting. If she wants to just go into mass detail about an malt, hops, water or yeast they are amazing. And Radical Brewing still has a place in my heart and still holds up to today, better than many other books trying to do the same thing [latest one I checked out came out last year and it was totally meh book]

Hope this has been helpful, if not let me know and I'll recommend some more vastly different types of brewing books the two bolded are first go to books though. Unless she hates sour beer and already knows every style ideas etc [Radical Brewing also has some Medieval Mead, Middle Eastern mead, Modern mead etc recipes not just tons of info on almost every style of beer]

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 7, 2015

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

The Big Taff Man posted:

Looks like me, Party Boat and Kluliss are having a big meet up at the Great North Run next year

Sure, but I'll already be at the end waiting for you because I won't be running it. I'm still suffering from the 10k (I know they'll get easier) but I doubt I'll ever do a half. Except accidentally...but then I also said I'd never do anything stupid like cycle across Scotland, so it's possible that I will at some point have a brain fart and agree to it. Might have to wait until the shin-splints have gone away though :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I had pizza for lunch