Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I had pizza for lunch

im having potato + tuna + cottage cheese

*kills self*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Kluliss posted:

Sure, but I'll already be at the end waiting for you because I won't be running it. I'm still suffering from the 10k (I know they'll get easier) but I doubt I'll ever do a half. Except accidentally...but then I also said I'd never do anything stupid like cycle across Scotland, so it's possible that I will at some point have a brain fart and agree to it. Might have to wait until the shin-splints have gone away though :P

Its a year away theres time for us to bully lightly persuade you

Party Boat posted:

I had pizza for lunch

I bet you didnt let Kluliss have any

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Fluo posted:

Yep I got a recommendations.

Like you said she already must have reference books and such to cover the course so I'll categorize my book recommendations:

Brewing Element Books

Water

Yeast

Malt

Hops

They get extremely advance and especially the yeast one is most likely the most indepth book I know on the subject which isn't some University £340 book. Not bought Hops yet but Water, Yeast and Malt are so indepth and interesting (if you're into that etc). I'll use the Yeast one to give you an idea.

Just make sure that she doesn't own any of these yet though and her books might cover most of them anyway. Water is pretty outstanding too.

Enjoyable Reads / More Causal

• Radical Brewing: Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass, By Randy Mosher (Foreworded by Michael Jackson)[. Quite dated now (2004) but its been the most useful book in the last few years for getting ideas and getting references for spices, herbs, fruit and such. Aswell as coming up with new recipes [the ethos is the book is not to copy the recipes but to inspire]. For example Strawberries are terrible in beer and the flavour fades fast, if you were to use them you'd need about 2lb per gallon and you'd have to freshly pick them (not buy from them supermarket). Freeze then thaw all your fruit prior to putting your beer on them because it breaks the cell walls down. Doing a gruit? Be careful of yarrow etc etc

• Wildbrews: Beer Beyond the Influence of Brewer’s Yeast, By Jeff Sparrow. The best book for anything and everything to do with sour beers, wild yeast and bacteria. History of the Belgian sours, brewers and brews. Goes quite advance into Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, Saccharomyces and other microorganisms that can be found in Belgian sours. Temperatures and pretty much everything you need to know. Goes full into the turbin mash and tells the Wyeast’s shortcut / cheat way of doing it. Aswell as some recipes on the back for Lambic, Flanders Pale, Red, Brown and such. If you are interested in sour beers this is a must buy, even if you’re not a brewer. Some cool photos too!
    This book is still good, but wrote this prior to American Sours coming out. The all round best book if she is into Sour Beers is American Sour Beers, unless she loves Belgian history and such.

• American Sour Beers By Michael Tonsmeire. If she likes or enjoys sour beers this is the book for her. It's written by the guy at http://www.themadfermentationist.com/ and its outstanding. Can't praise it enough, just everything about it from all the many souring techniques to recipes to history to the little things like maintaining and taking care of your oak barrels etc.

• Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition, By Phil Marowski. Everything there is to know about Bière de Garde and Saisons. If she isn't into the farmhouse / farmbarn type beers don’t get this. If you are you’ll be in for a treat. Goes into detail about the history, style and such and the different techquies and different types of Saisons and Bière de Garde you can get out of it.

• Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them, By Tim Webb. It pretty much covers everything that isn’t in the Farmhouse Ales or Wildbrews, again Belgian. History, styles, processes, a couple of photos and finishes with a couple of recipes to give you an idea of each style. Enjoyable read about the history of styles and such with some techniques and recipes.

• Complete Guide to Growing Your Own Hops, Malts & Brewing Herbs (Back to Basics Growing) By John Peragine. Do you own a garden and does she have green fingers? Well this one is great, everything from growing your own barley, alt grains, hops and such to looking over them and everything you need to know from seed to harvest to looking after prior to next harvest etc. Also how to malt your own grains once harvested and such. Diseases to watch out for, what works best in your garden/climate etc etc. I've just recently harvested my first year of hops thanks to it. :)

Photo taken about a month prior to harvest. Should have done a long shot, the 12 hop rhizzones went up about 18foot

• Tasting Beer By Randy Mosher. Is she a foodie? This book is outstanding for food pairing, being able to practice picking out faults with the beer, subtle differences and all things foodies love to do.

• Smoked Beers: History, Brewing Techniques, Recipes By Ray Daniels. 75% history, 20% technique 5% recipe. But if her favourite style of beer is smoked [mainly German/Polish] this book is extremely interesting.

Theres alot more books I'd recommend (and alot I wouldn't, been stung a few times with terrible books in the past) but it really depends on what she is into [I bolded the two enjoyable/causal reading ones that I recommend the most]. The Brew Like a Monk / Farmhouse Ales / Wildbrews are enjoyable reads but its mostly about the history of the beer styles and such. American Sour Beers is top of my recommendation list if she wants something enjoyable and interesting. If she wants to just go into mass detail about an malt, hops, water or yeast they are amazing. And Radical Brewing still has a place in my heart and still holds up to today, better than many other books trying to do the same thing [latest one I checked out came out last year and it was totally meh book]

Hope this has been helpful, if not let me know and I'll recommend some more vastly different types of brewing books the two bolded are first go to books though. Unless she hates sour beer and already knows every style ideas etc [Radical Brewing also has some Medieval Mead, Middle Eastern mead, Modern mead etc recipes not just tons of info on almost every style of beer]

Wow man! really appreciate you doing that I'm going to have a good read through of your post and the links you provided and decide from there.

Thanks for going above and beyond what I expected there mate.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

Wow man! really appreciate you doing that I'm going to have a good read through of your post and the links you provided and decide from there.

Thanks for going above and beyond what I expected there mate.

No problem mate, I have a silly number of books at home that over the years I read and go back to and such. If you can't find anything there or you can give a subgenre within beer/brewing books I can hone in more on the perfect books for her. Since she is doing a Masters in Brewing Science I think the more causal/readable/pick up and go back to books would be better than Brewing Element Books. If there just isn't any in those recommendations let me know and I can throw out some more [and some to avoid]. They range from great books sparking ideas for your next beer, to :spergin: about the little details, to beer history and such blah blah :D

Questions to think about : Does she like sour beers? Does she have a style she likes? Is she traditional or modern? Does she enjoy making her own recipes and slowly tweaking? etc :D

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

look what you've bloody started

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Pound_Coin posted:

A conversation that no one else is interested in that should be taken to pm?

It works out best when people dont quote the person I have on ignore list so I dont have to read his bad posts

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
at least delete the content of the quote when its massive

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

taff still mad bout the whole wallpaper incident

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
thank you for quoting the world most massive post

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Pound_Coin posted:

taff still mad bout the whole wallpaper incident

Im not mad, I just think its dumb and cant understand how someone would sit in that room not being annoyed at the way its been put up

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

nap status: refreshed

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

if i told you i align all my wallpaper using a digital sextant woukd u hold me

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Bobby Deluxe posted:

if i told you i align all my wallpaper using a digital sextant woukd u hold me

I'd refuse close contact with you as you wouldnt play Destiny or Diablo with me

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
should i get star wars battlefront for the pc or ps4

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

freelop posted:

Went to brum last night and thought about trying 5 guys but it seemed really expensive so we went to yo sushi instead.

Honestly quite like the new station

You went to Yo Sushi to avoid getting ripped off? That is probably the first time that has ever happened.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can tell I live in a grim northern town because the only places in town that serves food are macdonalds, subway, the local 'spoons and a greggs with a seating area. We do however have either a hairdressers or a coffee shop every 50 ft.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Big Taff Man posted:

I'd refuse close contact with you as you wouldnt play Destiny or Diablo with me
tbf i refuse to play destiny and diablo with anyone else, i wouldnt take it personally

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Jose posted:

should i get star wars battlefront for the pc or ps4

PC will probably, eventually, run the game much better... but EA is the publisher, so expect server issues for the first year, shortly followed by a season pass, and a ton of DLC that has been made already, but is locked on the disc.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Bobby Deluxe posted:

tbf i refuse to play destiny and diablo with anyone else, i wouldnt take it personally

Oh you best believe I'm taking it personally Bobby Deluxe, if that is your real name.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

who can tell these days, it might even be alan

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

learnincurve posted:

You can tell I live in a grim northern town because the only places in town that serves food are macdonalds, subway, the local 'spoons and a greggs with a seating area. We do however have either a hairdressers or a coffee shop every 50 ft.

don't forget the poundland, the knock off poundland, the 99p store, and the 98p store interspersed with charity shops for oddly specific causes

Fluo
May 25, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

A conversation that no one else is interested in that should be taken to pm?

It works out best when people dont quote the person I have on ignore list so I dont have to read his bad posts

calm down taff and take your radler

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Vitamins posted:

don't forget the poundland, the knock off poundland, the 99p store, and the 98p store interspersed with charity shops for oddly specific causes

99p store got bought out by poundland

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Vitamins posted:

how long until there is a 97p store?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Manic X posted:

how long until there is a 97p store?

*takes three 1p sweets out the £1 pick a mix*

I think we can do this Manic X!!

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I think the saddest pound shop related thing I've ever seen was on one of those BBC documentaries, it was the manager of one of their shops who was really proud of their own-brand knock-offs that looked like the big name brands, similar packaging/names etc.

He was really proud that people could get a comparable product for a fraction of the price, then he saw the customer's reactions like: "Knock off poo poo" "Counterfeit tat" and he was utterly distraught. it was :smith:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

You went to Yo Sushi to avoid getting ripped off? That is probably the first time that has ever happened.

Lmao

Yo Sushi isn't that great. On the other hand Five Guys is over priced for what it is and not as great as the Americans seemed to hype it as.

I can't really think of a chain I could recommend though

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

I think the saddest pound shop related thing I've ever seen was on one of those BBC documentaries, it was the manager of one of their shops who was really proud of their own-brand knock-offs that looked like the big name brands, similar packaging/names etc.

He was really proud that people could get a comparable product for a fraction of the price, then he saw the customer's reactions like: "Knock off poo poo" "Counterfeit tat" and he was utterly distraught. it was :smith:

It's a sad state of affairs that there is a documentary series about pound shops at prime time tv :smith:

I think I caught the halloween one and they were shocked SHOCKED that on freshers week in a mall that all the students were going for the fancy stuff like 50% off £120 sweaters and stuff and not going into their pound shop lol

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 7, 2015

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Fluo posted:

*takes three 1p sweets out the £1 pick a mix*

I think we can do this Manic X!!

Yes we can. Don't stop at sweet packs. Take 3 squares off of the toilet paper, and three sips out of the milkshake cartons. Also sell Fredos for 19p instead of the now standard 20p.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

The Big Taff Man posted:

Its a year away theres time for us to bully lightly persuade you

I bet you didnt let Kluliss have any

No chance (running that far, a year is not long enough)

I had cereals for lunch, not pizza.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Fluo posted:

It's a sad state of affairs that there is a documentary series about pound shops at prime time tv :smith:

I think I caught the halloween one and they were shocked SHOCKED that on freshers week in a mall that all the students were going for the fancy stuff like 50% off £120 sweaters and stuff and not going into their pound shop lol

Well, they do have all that free student loan money from the government :sun:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Well, they do have all that free student loan money from the government :sun:

Yeah I just found it funny as hell that the pound shop was confused that students weren't coming in to buy tons of plastic poo poo when next door is mega deals on decent stuff lol

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Flou be proud - I've foraged enough sloes from my yard to make a gin*

*attempt to make a gin.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Kluliss posted:

No chance (running that far, a year is not long enough)

I had cereals for lunch, not pizza.

Wow I cant believe Party Boat didnt let you have Pizza.

A year is plenty long enough. I went from zero running to a half in a year.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I looking forward to a party so much I turned up a month in advance.

This isn't even the first time something like this has happened.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Was it a bonfire night party?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Pizza party funnily enough

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Pound_Coin posted:

i'm p sure that was shown recently on prime time at the weekend :/

also 20 year old vicar of dibley episodes. maybe it's fun for kids to google all the pop culture references lol david ginola!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
gay?