Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

zakharov posted:

Jason Whitlock is extremely mad online.

Save his rear end from what though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Was the decision to suck George Bush’s dick made when Bill Simmons was there, or after? - ESPN employee / roastmaster general

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

He is really hung up on Coates just in general too.

When you are deluded into thinking that you're a leading voice on racial issues and the actual leading voice has a completely opposing view and is also 8000 times smarter than you, it probably hurts.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Also Coates refused to work with him even though Whitlock offered triple the salary

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

chunkles posted:

Save his rear end from what though

The enmity of one Stephen A. Smith. It's dangerous!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

ChickenMedium posted:

The enmity of one Stephen A. Smith. It's dangerous!

Roving gangs of vigilante sports personalities taking vengeance on the athletes and writers who have wronged them

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

chunkles posted:

Roving gangs of vigilante sports personalities taking vengeance on the athletes and writers who have wronged them

guess who posted:

Deadspin operates as a hipster gang. Bullied media into silence. But remember, hipster gangs are good because they quote Coates.

Hipster gangs!

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I thought the narrative was black grant land failed because Jason Whitlock was a bad manager who couldn't get talent. Why's there 10,000 word article about how actually it's because ESPN is racist by the same guy.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I think it's a bit of both. The only reason anyone's knows what's going on is Howard writes about it once a quarter. ESPN has shown nothing that indicates support for the project since canning Whitlock

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ungratek posted:

Also Coates refused to work with him even though Whitlock offered triple the salary
You can't pay anyone enough to deal with Whitlock's B.S., not after you read that one Deadspin article from a few months ago outlining how he's a godawful manager.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not to jump back into the Simmons discussion but I did just listen to the Wesley Morris Episode of the Simmons podcast. And yeah it was weird how Bill was practically eulogizing its demise as we speak, but he did bring up something that someone on here also pointed out, which is that ESPN never really directed readers to Grantland. Which may seem like a minor offense but the ESPN.com frontpage gets huge traffic. You'd think they'd want to prominently link to a Zach Lowe piece once in a while.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Blast Fantasto posted:

Was the decision to suck George Bush’s dick made when Bill Simmons was there, or after? - ESPN employee / roastmaster general

It didn't come out that long after he left and he used to constantly bring up how impressed he was by that dumb pitch, I would almost guarantee that was a Simmons idea

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Wait, Simmons is a Bush supporter? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying here?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wait, Simmons is a Bush supporter? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying here?

Grantland did a dumb fluff piece on the time Bush threw the first pitch of the '01 World Series and Deadspin tried to make it a thing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think Simmons mentioned that he didn't have much to do with 30 for 30 the last couple years as well. I doubt he really cared about that, and I am not sure why Deadspin thinks 30 for 30 would do a 24 minute piece accusing Bush of war crimes.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I thought the narrative was black grant land failed because Jason Whitlock was a bad manager who couldn't get talent. Why's there 10,000 word article about how actually it's because ESPN is racist by the same guy.

They are racist so they put a guy woefully unqualified in charge who did things people woefully unqualified do. I do like the outcome that the main problem is putting talent in the editorial chair though.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
This is great. I have no idea what this even means, and I don't think he does either

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

angrygodofjebus posted:

This is great. I have no idea what this even means, and I don't think he does either

Thread title

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

angrygodofjebus posted:

The hell does any of that mean

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

#whitegangs

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Thread title

Sure

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Is he talking about 4H or....?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lockback posted:

Is he talking about 4H or....?

Yea 4H, water polo teams, future businessmen of america, those fuckers

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Or the worst kind of all, College Republicans

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Whitlock is insane.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It's really pathetic how much a petulant man-child he is.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Bob Ojeda posted:

I like Deadspin a lot but I think their attitude is that they don't have to come up with any kind of positive alternative, or even display any kind of consistency between what they say and what they do. Their position seems to be that their only role is criticism, and anything outside of that is irrelevant.
All of Gawker media is the hater/hypocrite olympics. They hate on everything while doing it themselves. Blasting companies for having unpaid interns even though they have them, blasting classism then demanding their mixed use building has a separate entrance so they do not have to go through the same door as the "affordable housing" tenants (seriously), blasting other sites for outing people then doing it themselves to a brother of someone famous, etc. Everyone there is a lunatic.

They realize manufactured outrage is big business and they have the marketplace dialed in.

Also, I'm Whitlock's number 1 fan here but someone he knows and respects (in a hypothetical world where that person exists) needs to call him up and get him away from the keyboard. Of course, I'll also be refreshing twitter every 19 seconds until the Decision 2.0 drops. I'll go half on the presidential platter if necessary.

PS When you look at Greg Howard's War and Peace novels on Whitlock vs any other thing he writes, I do believe someone else came two steps short of writing the entire things and putting Greg's name on them. His other stuff seems like it is written by an angry child plus he can't go 93 words without saying fuckboy in any other piece. I would believe his Whitlock stalker pieces are ghostwritten.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Jason Whitlock is the loving best. I like to imagine that someone texts Coates with 'he's namedropping you in every tweet again.' and he just sighs and puts his best Jim Caldwell face on

That may only be because I am currently imagining EVERYONE with a Jim Caldwell face, but still, how fun it must be to be the latest obsession of Jason Whitlock

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Howard's stuff on their soccer sub-site is usually really good but that's about it. Tom Ley used to be alright but goes way off the deep end most of the time now. Burke seems to be more of a reporter than a columnist for the most part, I'm fine with him. The boxing columns by Hamilton Nolan and Iron Mike Gallego are very good. Billy Haisley is 100% awful.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I enjoy most of the writers on Deadspin. I don't expect them to provide panaceas for the numerous plagues that infect sports media. I'm content with having a website full of decent to good writers that call out ESPN for all their BS.

I think the Whitlock stuff growing into a larger critique of ESPN and the politics of apolitics was pretty good, and in many ways built upon previous work done by Klosterman and Pierce on grantland.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like the notion that Greg Howard is somehow incapable of using a different tone/level of seriousness depending on the subject matter he's writing about and so it must be a ghost written

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I love The Wire but Whitlock having a twitter avatar of a Wire character and a bio that lists David Simon as one of his influences is such pseudo-intellectual bullshit that comes off as a desperate attempt to appear cultured.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I like the notion that Greg Howard is somehow incapable of using a different tone/level of seriousness depending on the subject matter he's writing about and so it must be a ghost written

Yeah, he's written plenty of goofy and joking poo poo on deadspin but also put out some really good articles surrounding Ferguson, Black Lives Matter issues, etc.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The main appeal of sports is that it's something we can argue about that doesn't really matter at the end of the day. For all their faults, I'm glad that ESPN indulges us that premise, even if it's not really true.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Lockback posted:

I think Simmons mentioned that he didn't have much to do with 30 for 30 the last couple years as well. I doubt he really cared about that, and I am not sure why Deadspin thinks 30 for 30 would do a 24 minute piece accusing Bush of war crimes.

There's a big gap in between "run something about how George Bush is a war criminal" and "run something that's about how George Bush is actually good and responded well to 9/11," which notably contains "don't make a documentary about George Bush."

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Ribsauce posted:

PS When you look at Greg Howard's War and Peace novels on Whitlock vs any other thing he writes, I do believe someone else came two steps short of writing the entire things and putting Greg's name on them. His other stuff seems like it is written by an angry child plus he can't go 93 words without saying fuckboy in any other piece. I would believe his Whitlock stalker pieces are ghostwritten.

Oh, word?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

So It Goes posted:

I love The Wire but Whitlock having a twitter avatar of a Wire character and a bio that lists David Simon as one of his influences is such pseudo-intellectual bullshit that comes off as a desperate attempt to appear cultured.

I think it's great that he's latched onto the number one thing that white people use to pretend they understand black people. Nothing could be more appropriate.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Jason Whitlock ‏@WhitlockJason
Should have details on The Explanation 2.0 in the next 24-48 hours. Do Not Miss.

I love Big Sexy, but I have a feeling we can listen to him end his career in real time tomorrow or Friday.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Are journalists in other fields the huge man babies that these weirdo bitches are? Good God it's just a constant stream of whining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Parlett316 posted:

Are journalists in other fields the huge man babies that these weirdo bitches are? Good God it's just a constant stream of whining.

music journalists are awful