Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I never watched GI Joe as a kid so I never realized the episodes were that crazy.

I grew up with them. Believe me, these are some of the more grounded in reality episodes.

Pork chop sandwiches! :boom:

ZeroPrimal fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I never watched GI Joe as a kid so I never realized the episodes were that crazy.

I did; I forgot all about this episode until they played song. Then all the memories came flooding back.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ZeroPrimal posted:

I grew up with them. Believe me, these are some of the more grounded in reality episodes.

So how does a cartoon show about a PMC and a terrorist organization end up having episodes about night clubs and hit top 40 singles?

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.

Jose Oquendo posted:

So how does a cartoon show about a PMC and a terrorist organization end up having episodes about night clubs and hit top 40 singles?

How does Justin Bieber hit top 40? The answer is obvious; a wizard did it.
Also, their Jim Belushi impersonations are spot-on.

ZeroPrimal fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 2, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jose Oquendo posted:

Probably writer's block. Since they could never actually progress or resolve the conflict between the Joe's and Cobra, or do anything that might actually suggest violence, they probably ran out of actual stuff to do for Cobra pretty fast.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

e X posted:

Probably writer's block. Since they could never actually progress or resolve the conflict between the Joe's and Cobra, or do anything that might actually suggest violence, they probably ran out of actual stuff to do for Cobra pretty fast.

The Silver Age Batman Effect

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The show was ultimately about selling toys, so the stories didn't really matter as long as it was flashy and exciting

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Oh gently caress, there's a thread for this?! :monocle:

This is literally the only podcast I listen to, and it's flipping great. Welp, time to read all the funny comments.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
If anything, GI Joe is even less grounded than most episodes of Captain Planet. A show where the spirit of Mother Earth entrusts five teenagers with magical rings that control the elements (Love is the fifth element) and can combine to summon an ecological superhero.

I'd say that most relatively recent cartoons, including that YooHoo thing that was suggested, don't work well, in the same way that movies like Sharknado don't really work all that well for laughing at. Even when they are poo poo, because they are intentionally being ridiculous it kneecaps any attempt at making fun of how ridiculous the premise and execution are, because the creators are in on the joke. It would be like making fun of the old Adam West Batman. They drat well knew what they were making was ridiculous fluff, so it's pretty much immune to ridicule.

Ultimately, the show works best when it's laughing at the material that it covers. It's a similar reason that most comedies get passed on. Unless the thing is a total train wreck, or time has been so incredibly unkind that it looks very questionable from a modern perspective, it's just going to be the hosts either getting angry at how bad it is, or getting on board and enjoying the movie on its own terms.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I never watched GI Joe as a kid, but I'd like so see more of their Cobra Commander impression.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Speaking of Cobra Commander impressions and Tomax & Xamot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbANBxbmLfw

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Heteroy posted:

If anything, GI Joe is even less grounded than most episodes of Captain Planet. A show where the spirit of Mother Earth entrusts five teenagers with magical rings that control the elements (Love is the fifth element) and can combine to summon an ecological superhero.
Excuse me, it's not Love, it's Heart. Which means that kid could have induced cardiac arrest in the villains.
:goonsay:

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I actually do know that because I think anyone who grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons in that era has the show's theme indelibly etched in their brain, along with TMNT and Saved By the Bell. Although it wasn't really heart in that sense either. More like the power of empathy, or whatever. I'm pretty sure thing ring was useless on any of the villains because they were evil.

Being like Aquaman but for all animals was okay I guess, but please just give me the power of air or fire or earth. Water is about equal by the Aquaman is lame equation.

Jesus, look up the cast of voice actors. I remember it being impressive at the time, but there may not be a show in history that comes close to that. Ted Turner had some real pull in the 90's.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Heteroy posted:

Jesus, look up the cast of voice actors. I remember it being impressive at the time, but there may not be a show in history that comes close to that. Ted Turner had some real pull in the 90's.
I never watched it, but the Disney Hercules tv show has a list of guest stars that just goes on and on. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0138967/fullcredits/cast?ref_=m_tt_cl_sc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ave Azaria posted:

I never watched it, but the Disney Hercules tv show has a list of guest stars that just goes on and on. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0138967/fullcredits/cast?ref_=m_tt_cl_sc

Dan Castenella as Homer. Brilliant stuntcasting.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I got as far as Frank Welker and threw my phone down in disgust.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Are they doing Spooktacular this year?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Are they doing Spooktacular this year?

Yes and based off twitter Brainscan is one.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dan Castenella as Homer. Brilliant stuntcasting.

Hahaha

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Jeremy, did you send those CD-ROMs out yet?"

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I was really excited to hear a bunch of Christopher Walken impressions, but when I started listening I realized I had mistaken Brainscan for BrainSTORM. :smith:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I really really dig when they have characters work most of the episode. Favorites are Mark Wahlberg (oh sick, bro!), Larry the Cable Guy (aw, kewl!) and Wilford Brimley (gawddammuht).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Is this movie worth seeing for myself before I listen to the episode?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think they normally do this but they should really have an Animation Damnation of Inspector Gadget and a WHM about the Matthew Broderick version.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Brocktoon posted:

I was really excited to hear a bunch of Christopher Walken impressions, but when I started listening I realized I had mistaken Brainscan for BrainSTORM. :smith:

I'm okay with them doing impressions of The Tricker (Mark Hamill) instead of doing the impression for Trickster.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Yeah.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think they normally do this but they should really have an Animation Damnation of Inspector Gadget and a WHM about the Matthew Broderick version.

They already did the live-action movie. It's episode 66, and it's really good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

They already did the live-action movie. It's episode 66, and it's really good.

Aw poo poo, I missed that one. Thanks!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

I probably saw that movie ten times as a kid and didn't even remember it until half way through the episode.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JT Smiley posted:

I probably saw that movie ten times as a kid and didn't even remember it until half way through the episode.

Too late, I watched it hours ago.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Too late, I watched it hours ago.

That's what happens when you rely on Jeremy the intern.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Thoroughly enjoyed the Brainscan episode, and was pretty impressed with the guys' impressions of the (Primus-loving) Joker.

Guesses for next week's movie? Could it possibly 1989's Death Spa?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would absolutely poo poo if they did Death Spa. The best WHM episodes are when they dig up some piece of shlock that time forgot like Pray for Death or Moontrap and end up having a lot of fun with it, and Death Spa is hilarious.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HImCpzFxCg
Oh my.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Death Spa could be an amazing episode. We're confused, and we've seen the movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgbB9ORqRg&t=1304s

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love when they do a movie I've never seen before and I'm genuinely shocked at something in it. Pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when they revealed that Brainscan actually does the "it was all a dream!" ending.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I love when they do a movie I've never seen before and I'm genuinely shocked at something in it. Pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when they revealed that Brainscan actually does the "it was all a dream!" ending.

Except that OR WAS IT?!

Oh, and the fact that Eddie Furlong pretty much turns his principal into a murderer now too.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tender Bender posted:

I saw Brainscan a couple of months ago, and actually started an argument with my TV when the ending happened. It's so much worse since it keeps going for another ten minutes with THREE separate "or was it!?!"s - the photos in the girl's room, the Trickster in the principal's office, the dog finding the foot. Not like the movie played by it's own rules, anyways.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I assume that it was Jeremy's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I love Brainscan so much.