Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh another one. Maximum speed of what was it? Point 3 C?

Interplanetary travel is going to be a blast.

It's like hutton orbital, except every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Gryphon0468 posted:

And your source is? Because my sources are the CIG devs posting on reddit directly.

Yeah and so far there's been no reason to disbelieve anything CIG has said publicly.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

0.2c

The fun part with that is that CIG has to make distances and sizes a lot less than 1:1 to make travel meaningful. The funnier part is that people are completely hostile against going for a faster imaginary/arbitrary fast travel speed, because relativity.

No immersion/realism problem about making the universe 1:100 though.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Was that actually mentioned anywhere? Because if yes, it sounds like just a ploy to give CIG enough time to build the rest of the game while players are crawling ahead at a snail's pace.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I remember reading that you could potentially discover your own star-system and name it.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
All I wanted was Pirates! in space. I'll just play SPAZ I guess

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Well Tolkien created 2 plus scraps of another 2 and he was an old. There's no lack of philologists working as cashiers that would kill to do this job for a pittance. chaching

I would like to sperg for a moment and point out that Tolkien created his world for his languages not his languages for his world. And that he spent most of his life working on them.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Cargo Commander, Space Flight Attendant, and cooking Space Meth are by far the best features promised

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

Dear Mr Smart. I just want to thank you for time spent on this E-Crusade. Its very important to me that the shithead Croberts gets properly poo poo on for destroying what would be my absolute Dream Game. I never backed it, but im still considering sending a refund request for my dreams and hopes.

Edit: What is the price of a mans hopes and dreams? How emotionally distraught can one be upon learning their very future, which was set in stone (the verse) is now shattered and scattered among the stars that you shall never see...

Mr Smart is the goons Jayme Dawson. Rip those CIG's to bloody shreds!

Well, I'm certain that your hopes and dreams are worth something. After all, that's why the legal system invented punitive damages, restitution and "pain & suffering" remedies

I'd say, in your case, $100 should do it. Go for it!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The drink dispenser minigame feature was a good one. Because gently caress space battles and piracy and aliens I wanna play space air steward.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I remember reading that you could potentially discover your own star-system and name it.

Yes. This is the plan for adding more star systems to the game. A new jump point would go up somewhere out there, and the first guy that found it would be able to call dibs on naming (unsure if he would be able to name the actual system, the jump point, or just get listed as the discoverer though). He could also keep the link secret (until someone else found it that is), sell it to other players, or sell it to UEE and make the system known to everyone.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wait seriously? So you aint even moving at light speeds, let alone AU. Do they not have a concept of the size of a solar system

Gonna blame it on cryengine cause this poo poo was solved in EVE like 12 years ago

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 7, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wait seriously? So you aint even moving at light speeds, let alone AU. Do they not have a concept of the size of a solar system

The plan is to have time scaling (1:6 or 1:8?), size scaling (irrelevant for celestial bodies since they are essentially pictures with different LoD, landing is done via instance changing auto-pilot), distance scaling (Freelancer K and M metric system, although we know from the last 10ftC that meters are in) and a fast travel speed of 0.2c (in a straight line between two set points, no maneuvering).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 7, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Well, I'm certain that your hopes and dreams are worth something. After all, that's why the legal system invented punitive damages, restitution and "pain & suffering" remedies

Tell us your plans for watching the live stream, I'm taking the night off ordering a large pizza and I might even have a drink for a change, it should be glorious.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Everyone post your favorite promised Star Citizen features (aside from it existing):

- the entire concept of an information courier
- cargo actually being modeled and simulated down to the individual item

-Elaborate drink serving minigame

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

At .2 C it will only take you a little more than a day to get from the sun to Pluto. What do you think this is, Star Trek?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

D_Smart posted:

Hello.

Do you have any estimations on how much money was refunded to this date?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Humphrey Vasel posted:

All I wanted was Pirates! in space. I'll just play SPAZ I guess

Go play Starsector. It ownsssss.

SA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400
It has fantastic goon made mods, too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dante80 posted:

Yes. This is the plan for adding more star systems to the game. A new jump point would go up somewhere out there, and the first guy that found it would be able to call dibs on naming (unsure if he would be able to name the actual system, the jump point, or just get listed as the discoverer though). He could also keep the link secret (until someone else found it that is), sell it to other players, or sell it to UEE and make the system known to everyone.

We hail from the Huge Dongs Everywhere system and we come in peace.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

Go play Starsector. It ownsssss.

SA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400
It has fantastic goon made mods, too.

Mount and Blade in space <3

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just a quick reminder that Chris Roberts doesn't understand how space works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

.2c. But that's just in system travel. And yes it's already been noted that it's kinda fucky, there will be either time compression or a slight scaling down of distances. System to system is via jump points, natural wormholes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gryphon0468 posted:

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

64 job openings, 6 of which are in Austin. Tell me again why a company about to run out of money would be looking to fill a further 64 positions?

Because it's false and it's common practice for corps to have job openings to show growth and stability even if they're not hiring.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

True, but very rare. And only once CIG are ready to unveil it obviously.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Because it's false and it's common practice for corps to have job openings to show growth and stability even if they're not hiring.

Where is the ship name you promised mr Smart?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gryphon0468 posted:

Derek disappoints, as usual. Btw the ship will almost certainly be the Prowler, due to Ben stating its not the Crucible, and shares a name with a ship from Wing Commander and it's the only ship besides the Crucible left in the line up that is still unseen. It's pretty simple to figure that out if you follow along.

I will reveal it on Sat morning. No, it's not the Prowler or the Crucible.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Gryphon0468 posted:

.2c. But that's just in system travel. And yes it's already been noted that it's kinda fucky, there will be either time compression or a slight scaling down of distances. System to system is via jump points, natural wormholes.

How can you have time compression in a multiplayer game?

Why don't they just make you travel faster so it makes sense?

Edit: What the gently caress am I doing? This isn't even a real game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

How likely is it that current shitizens buy more accounts?

Aside from the fact that the math is wrong (I ran the numbers myself and this chart also helps https://goo.gl/fz1Tso), there is no question in my mind that backers are creating new accounts and pledging. Heck, I have three accounts.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Is it... "The Pubic Mass"?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

It's the Olympic to go with the sister ship right?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I get the open world cargo hauling fun vacuum that is space trading having done a decade in EvE but why on earth would you want to stack cargo yourself? People criticise EvE quite fairly that some parts of it feel like a job not a game but being a virtual shelf stacker?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It's the Olympic to go with the sister ship right?

No.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

Hello.

Do you have any estimations on how much money was refunded to this date?

I don't have the numbers on hand; but it's quite a bit last time I checked from the people who contacted us.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
put it in spoiler tags then noone can see it mr.smart

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Oh I can't wait. Btw how many people were playing your game on average? What was it, 3,4?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Because it is common knowledge that goons ruin everything I will reveal the name of the ship to Beer4theBeerGod and he can then decide if he wants to leak it - and when. So, B4BG, go ahead and DM me on Twitter.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what exactly is the souce on the financial situation of CIG?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is adorable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KillHour posted:

Just a quick reminder that Chris Roberts doesn't understand how space works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

One of them was born in the UK, and the other in the US. Both are developing nostalgia games with purchasable jpegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Sillybones posted:

How can you have time compression in a multiplayer game?

Why don't they just make you travel faster so it makes sense?

Edit: What the gently caress am I doing? This isn't even a real game.

Not time compression, time scaling. A game day will take 3 RL hours to pass for example, and time is universal for all players.
They need time scaling for things like day/night transitions in planetary maps, player aging efffects etc. At least, thats what they are saying.
Regarding the speed of travel, it does not matter anyway. The speed - and the size of a star system - will depend (if CIG are good with this) on the mean time needed for the average player to have a satisfactory gaming session. I can't imagine taking more than 10 minutes to cross a system from one end to the other in fast travel, unless there is a good reason for it (or a lot of poo poo to do on the way).

• Locked thread