Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

vCenter 6.0u1 conflicts with AppAssure because VMware helpfully decided to run a python process on one of the ports Dell officially reserved and I'm still waiting on resolution to that. Until then, I get to enjoy a million schannel errors and intermittent vCenter failures as IIS and Python duke it out for control of TCP 8006.

You can change the port the appassure agent runs on, fyi.

https://support.software.dell.com/appassure/kb/119684

I've had to do this with an EHR app that utilized one of the appassure ports. Worked fine for me to change the agent port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Two questions:

First: Is ESXi on Mac Mini an officially supported thing?

Like if I take a Mac Mini and install the free ESXi on there, am I going to be able to install an Apple OS out of the box or will I need to do more rigging behind the scenes?

I know I can jury rig a non-apple thing to run OSX but I'm trying to do this at work so I want to be fairly legit.

And second: How long before we can expect any kind of ElCap support in ESXi 6?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Morganus_Starr posted:

Maybe I missed a thread on this, but does anyone have any recommendations or experience with setting up/running a private cloud with Azure Stack/Azure Pack? I found a few technet articles and blogposts online about setting this up, but was curious if there are any shops out there that have deployed this, particularly a hosted VM infrastructure using the Azure pack frontend. Essentially I am looking at migrating away from Citrix Xenserver to hyper-v on my hosting backend, and trying to leverage a good frontend portal that will allow customer self-service and automated billing, particularly with VM hosting in mind.

Depends what you're looking for. We've looked at going Azure pack in the past but at this point are just going to wait out for Azure Stack, what I saw and talked to program managers at Ignite about has me pretty excited about the prospects for Azure Stack, and seemed like a waste of time spending that on Azure Pack vs cleanup/other backlog stuff right now. :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How do you know when you need something like Azure/Open-Stack?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there a way to do low-level passthrough of a PCI and USB devices to a VM without the host needing drivers?

Basically what I want is the ability to run a VM host or hypervisor on a modern host but then pass through PCI or USB devices to an obsolete version of Windows for which there's actually drivers. Is this something I could accomplish with HyperV or something?

For PCI I'm trying to keep an old scanner going (hi Martytoof). It's a older professional-tier scanner with some nice capabilities (4x5 output up to a realistic 2500 dpi), but it uses SCSI. I bought a specific SCSI card that still has (emulated) Vista/7 x64 compatible drivers, but I'm worried about the long-term viability with the shift to W10 and so on. I've had a lot of USB hardware fall by the wayside, but I'm curious about the same solution.

I already run an always-on fileserver. Plan A would be to upgrade my fileserver to a NAS-style ATX case and run a hypervisor or VM host on something like a 4130T. If can't, Plan B would be to build a dedicated XP system to handle that stuff. But since it's PCI it's going to be at least ATX sized and XP limits my ability to run newer, more power-efficient processors. Or maybe I'll try my hand at a USB-SCSI converter, although that's potentially an expensive gamble if it isn't compatible.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 6, 2015

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Two questions:

First: Is ESXi on Mac Mini an officially supported thing?

Like if I take a Mac Mini and install the free ESXi on there, am I going to be able to install an Apple OS out of the box or will I need to do more rigging behind the scenes?

I know I can jury rig a non-apple thing to run OSX but I'm trying to do this at work so I want to be fairly legit.

And second: How long before we can expect any kind of ElCap support in ESXi 6?

ESXi 6.0 is supposed to work on any Mac Mini >= 5,1,I think that's 2011. It's not "officially" supported on that hardware, but OS X 10.10 should work fine in that. I think ElCapitan has an installer issue in ESX, but maybe an upgrade would work

I don't think that would break the license since you're doing it on Apple hardware

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there a way to do low-level passthrough of a PCI and USB devices to a VM without the host needing drivers?

Basically what I want is the ability to run a VM host or hypervisor on a modern host but then pass through PCI or USB devices to an obsolete version of Windows for which there's actually drivers. Is this something I could accomplish with HyperV or something?

For PCI I'm trying to keep an old scanner going (hi Martytoof). It's a older professional-tier scanner with some nice capabilities (4x5 output up to a realistic 2500 dpi), but it uses SCSI. I bought a specific SCSI card that still has (emulated) Vista/7 x64 compatible drivers, but I'm worried about the long-term viability with the shift to W10 and so on. I've had a lot of USB hardware fall by the wayside, but I'm curious about the same solution.

I already run an always-on fileserver. Plan A would be to upgrade my fileserver to a NAS-style ATX case and run a hypervisor or VM host on something like a 4130T. If can't, Plan B would be to build a dedicated XP system to handle that stuff. But since it's PCI it's going to be at least ATX sized and XP limits my ability to run newer, more power-efficient processors. Or maybe I'll try my hand at a USB-SCSI converter, although that's potentially an expensive gamble if it isn't compatible.

The host never needs drives. Devices as passed through by plain device IDs, and the guest needs to identify them.

PCI devices need VT-d/AMD-vi (IOMMU support). USB works basically anywhre.

The driver model in Windows hasn't changed since Vista AFAIK. That SCSI card will probably work fine on 10.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

vCenter 6.0u1 conflicts with AppAssure because VMware helpfully decided to run a python process on one of the ports Dell officially reserved and I'm still waiting on resolution to that. Until then, I get to enjoy a million schannel errors and intermittent vCenter failures as IIS and Python duke it out for control of TCP 8006.

tcp/8006 is listed as unassigned in the latest list from IANA so I'd say the issue is both VMware and Dell's fault: https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.txt

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
:psyduck:

Who here REALLY uses Host profiles? I've been trying for 3-4 days to get a cluster into compliance, while setting some fairly simple options (IP assignments for VMK interfaces, dvswitch assignment, etc) and I swear every other time I run a compliance check on a previously compliant host, it's now out of compliance.

Nevermind the fact that the other half of the time you get an error that requires you restart the CIM service from the host services tab.

I've had to disable almost every storage related option in our host profile as it keeps complaining about VMWARE_RR not being the default multipathing scheme as well.

God what a mess...

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Wicaeed posted:

:psyduck:

Who here REALLY uses Host profiles? I've been trying for 3-4 days to get a cluster into compliance, while setting some fairly simple options (IP assignments for VMK interfaces, dvswitch assignment, etc) and I swear every other time I run a compliance check on a previously compliant host, it's now out of compliance.

Nevermind the fact that the other half of the time you get an error that requires you restart the CIM service from the host services tab.

I've had to disable almost every storage related option in our host profile as it keeps complaining about VMWARE_RR not being the default multipathing scheme as well.

God what a mess...

I got stuck using them for a 120-ish host upgrade that was doing auto deploy. What items are falling out of compliance?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

King Metal posted:

ESXi 6.0 is supposed to work on any Mac Mini >= 5,1,I think that's 2011. It's not "officially" supported on that hardware, but OS X 10.10 should work fine in that. I think ElCapitan has an installer issue in ESX, but maybe an upgrade would work

I don't think that would break the license since you're doing it on Apple hardware

Good enough, thanks. I'll give it a try this week. Upgrade path should be fine, I just need a working image that I can destroy :)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Morganus_Starr posted:

You can change the port the appassure agent runs on, fyi.

https://support.software.dell.com/appassure/kb/119684

I've had to do this with an EHR app that utilized one of the appassure ports. Worked fine for me to change the agent port.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do tomorrow. Still lovely considering Dell reserved that port number.

cheese-cube posted:

tcp/8006 is listed as unassigned in the latest list from IANA so I'd say the issue is both VMware and Dell's fault: https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.txt

Weird, wikipedia listed it as an official reservation. I didn't bother digging any further than that.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Is there a list of known working motherboards/ processors/ pci cards for using passthrough (KVM)? Besides this wikipedia page, I mean.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Is there a list of known working motherboards/ processors/ pci cards for using passthrough (KVM)? Besides this wikipedia page, I mean.

The PCI devices don't need support. Except nvidia, who actively fight pass through on VMs in their driver, but even then, the pass through itself is no problem. It's just a matter of hiding the virt support if it's a consumer GPU

AMD stuff is generally good about it, but it's AMD.

Ark lists VT-d support for processors (which is always right) and chipset (which is not -- the firmware may disable support even if the chipset does it).

There's also not a good list of how boards lay out IOMMU groups.

If Ark says the CPU and chipset have support (or you buy AMD and don't buy a bottom of the barrel motherboard), you'll probably be OK.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Do you have a bit more info on the passthrough issues with consumer Nvidia GPUs? I had huge challenges during the pre-Fermi days and probably never got it to work (can't quite remember now).
What kind of hiding was necessary? Did it still require setting up PCI/memory holes?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I can give you specific directions for KVM, but you probably don't use it.

There used to be a bunch of crap you could set in a VMX to bypass it. But nVidia eats 20 bags of dicks, and they check Hyper-V extensions, VMware guest tools, known virtual CPU types, and it's only matter of time before they just start blocking VMs which use known-virtual disk controllers (which they're probably already doing for VMware if the driver fails with a code 43).. You can probably set those VMX flags and be ok. Just give AMD your money unless you already have an nVidia card you want to use.

You don't need any kind of memory hole bullshit with pure EFI (EFI host, EFI guest). VMware should be able to do this, but I don't know. Somebody in this thread probably does.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 6, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So on the heels of my ESXi OSX question, it looks like Apple isn't renewing whatever deal they had to virtualize OSX on ESXi internally and are moving to KVM. Don't imagine this will mean much to like 99% of people, but my interest was just piqued.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
It's not really a deal. They just control the OS, and they can ship modified kexts which don't check for that. The darwin kernel runs on plain hardware just fine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Question for Veeam users. Do any of you guys use the "SAN Direct" method of backup? For this to work you need to give a Windows box iSCSI access to your VMFS formatted LUNs. You even have to connect them so the disks show up in Disk Manager. You are supposed to turn auto-mount off so that Windows does not add a signature.

Our SAN vendor does not allow for read-only LUN access and giving a Windows box access to a VMFS volume gives me the heebeegeebees. All it would take is one wayward admin to mount those disks or some other automated process. Windows 2008 SP1 even required automount to be enabled to install.

Am I being overly paranoid? I know fixing the VMFS volume after Windows rights its signature isn't impossible... I'm just not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Am I being overly paranoid? I know fixing the VMFS volume after Windows rights its signature isn't impossible... I'm just not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

You're not paranoid, there's no way in hell I would do that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Martytoof posted:

So on the heels of my ESXi OSX question, it looks like Apple isn't renewing whatever deal they had to virtualize OSX on ESXi internally and are moving to KVM. Don't imagine this will mean much to like 99% of people, but my interest was just piqued.

But you still have to run on Apple hardware?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Apple doesn't follow its own rules. Not all of the siri bits ran OSX anyway, and they use Mesos really heavily, but there's a long history of development builds of OSX running on... whatever, really.

Different Darwin kernel versions need a little tweaking, but the patches have been in for a long time. As has emulated smc support. "Am I running on real apple hardware" is basically handled by a flag which pulls keys out of the smc and fakes a smc with those keys. This has also been upstream forever, and it's probably very similar to the way esxi handles "am I running on real apple hardware".

It's very easy to fake it if you can scrape the keys from a Apple system, and "can I query the SMC, and do the keys match" is literally the only thing.

Also, MacEFI differed a little from UEFI before, but that's the same lately, so it's a non issue

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Question for Veeam users. Do any of you guys use the "SAN Direct" method of backup? For this to work you need to give a Windows box iSCSI access to your VMFS formatted LUNs. You even have to connect them so the disks show up in Disk Manager. You are supposed to turn auto-mount off so that Windows does not add a signature.

Our SAN vendor does not allow for read-only LUN access and giving a Windows box access to a VMFS volume gives me the heebeegeebees. All it would take is one wayward admin to mount those disks or some other automated process. Windows 2008 SP1 even required automount to be enabled to install.

I run a similar setup of 2008R2, automount disabled, with Equallogic and BackupExec, and I've never had windows damage one of the VMFS LUNS in over 5 years of running this way.

I'm the only admin at this company, and I'm super careful whenever I do anything in the volume manager on that box, so if you have ham fisted admins, it might turn into a huge problem.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Well, the main issue with not doing SAN direct is that the alternative when using a physical proxy is network mode, which is the least efficient option. Most of our customers just use virtual proxies and hot add.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Well I suspect that Apple isn't bound by their own EULA but as users we are only allowed to virtualize on Apple hardware so yeah.

Internally I can't imagine them using anything but an off the shelf Dell or HP server farm or something like that. Mac Minis are decent but they're not really ideal for a high node compute rack no matter how fancy you get with the cabling and racking.

edit: Actually so with Apple's thing about going KVM I kind of want to see what KVM options are out there. Just for lab purposes, and really just to sate my own curiosity. I'll likely stay ESXi on my primary lab server. I know KVM can be installed on top of a regular Linux distro but I'm hoping for something with a minimal Linux presence and more of an out-of-the-box hypervisor similar to what ESXi provides. I'm looking at oVirt and RHEV as hypervisors, the latter being paid obviously. Any other recommendations that I should be looking at? I gather Proxmox is a thing as well.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 7, 2015

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I remember someone on these forums telling a story of someone doing exactly that - being 'helpful' and mounting disks on a Windows server that turned out to be attached for backup purposes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks all for the responses. I know it is something that in theory can work without issue, but Murphy's law and all that.

NippleFloss posted:

Well, the main issue with not doing SAN direct is that the alternative when using a physical proxy is network mode, which is the least efficient option. Most of our customers just use virtual proxies and hot add.

We are currently using virtual proxies with hot add and the performance seems decent enough. I think I am going to keep refining it and see if we can meet or RPO/RTO without using SAN Direct. If not, I'll revisit.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

edit: Actually so with Apple's thing about going KVM I kind of want to see what KVM options are out there. Just for lab purposes, and really just to sate my own curiosity. I'll likely stay ESXi on my primary lab server. I know KVM can be installed on top of a regular Linux distro but I'm hoping for something with a minimal Linux presence and more of an out-of-the-box hypervisor similar to what ESXi provides. I'm looking at oVirt and RHEV as hypervisors, the latter being paid obviously. Any other recommendations that I should be looking at? I gather Proxmox is a thing as well.
RHEV is oVirt. The only difference is branding (and support), but 100% of the RHEV code is done upstream-first on oVirt gerrit. Anything you find which supports RHEV integration is almost guaranteed to also talk oVirt, and the UI/etc is the same (3.5->3.5, etc -- different versions clearly differ; oVirt is about 6 months ahead).

I work on oVirt and openstack, so it's a good pick if you want to rely on community support

Proxmox is good as well. The UI is a little dated, and their API is bad, but that stuff is meh for a lab

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone using Rubrik for backups/DR? We've been talking to them and the product looks interesting, just curious what peoples real world impressions were.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone using Rubrik for backups/DR? We've been talking to them and the product looks interesting, just curious what peoples real world impressions were.

It's VERY new. We're partnered with them but haven't sold any yet, so all we've seen are the same demos you've probably seen. I like that they are trying to break away from the traditional enterprise backup model though.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

NippleFloss posted:

It's VERY new. We're partnered with them but haven't sold any yet, so all we've seen are the same demos you've probably seen. I like that they are trying to break away from the traditional enterprise backup model though.

Same here. We have one in our lab and built some neat vRO stuff for it. They took on the Sisyphean task of trying to make backup cool, so I'm rooting for them but haven't seen any traction just yet.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Pantology posted:

Same here. We have one in our lab and built some neat vRO stuff for it. They took on the Sisyphean task of trying to make backup cool, so I'm rooting for them but haven't seen any traction just yet.

What type of costs are you looking at for Rubrik?

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Morganus_Starr posted:

What type of costs are you looking at for Rubrik?

List is around $100k for a four-node brick (R344). No clue what street pricing would be.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Can someone shed some light on how VMware View licensing works?

We've got a small number of users (less than 5) who, in direct defiance of IT policy, have brought their own Windows desktops into our environment and are using unlicensed, uncontrolled version of Windows. Our IT manager found out about this yesterday, and quietly asked me to look into some VDI options so that we could at least have them accessing sensitive information from within a controlled environment (these are Finance people).

Sat through some parts of the View HOL late last night, and based on what I'm seeing we would need at least the following:

One Windows Server server acting as the Remote Desktop Services host (Windows Server Std license + ~5 users CAL + RDS Licensing)
Licensing for as many users as you have accessing those RDS servers for VMware Horizon (probably 3-5 licenses)

My concern is stemming from the fact that this really basic, REALLY small deployment will cost us (on the VMware side) at LEAST $3,000 per user for VMware Horizon View licensing.

They can't be serious with that licensing cost :psyduck:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why not just use standard RDS if that is the route you are going to take? Why VMware Horizon? If you are going to go traditional VDI, I would definitely not do it for 5 users. Either do it for all or do it for none.

I have a very specific visualization question of my own. Put in a ticket with VMware and their answer confused me even more. I am doing a cold migration of a VM from a SAN to a NAS. Both are on our storage subnet. The move is going at like 30 MB/s and is going to take until the heat-death of the universe. The SAN, NAS, and switching is not being taxed and the speed barely fluctuates. VMware rep said that storage migration (cold or svMotion) goes over the storage VMkernel(s), but that if the vMotion feature was not checked on any of the said VMkernels it would pick NIC (VMkernel?) at random but would also limit the transfer to the speeds we are seeing as to not disrupt the rest of the storage traffic.

This sounds like complete bullshit to me and does not make sense. Nor could I find any documentation on the subject. Does anyone have any thoughts? Both datastores and VMFS-5.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 9, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Wicaeed posted:

Our IT manager found out about this yesterday, and quietly asked me to look into some VDI options so that we could at least have them accessing sensitive information from within a controlled environment (these are Finance people).
What kind of pussy IT manager do you have? If they are plugging uncontrolled equipment into your production VLANs you have already lost and they will infect the rest of your network with malware and the sensitive information will be given up anyway. It's just a matter of time.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

adorai posted:

What kind of pussy IT manager do you have? If they are plugging uncontrolled equipment into your production VLANs you have already lost and they will infect the rest of your network with malware and the sensitive information will be given up anyway. It's just a matter of time.

Honestly. Your IS team would love to know about this and why they aren't on a CAN

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wicaeed posted:

Can someone shed some light on how VMware View licensing works?

We've got a small number of users (less than 5) who, in direct defiance of IT policy, have brought their own Windows desktops into our environment and are using unlicensed, uncontrolled version of Windows. Our IT manager found out about this yesterday, and quietly asked me to look into some VDI options so that we could at least have them accessing sensitive information from within a controlled environment (these are Finance people).

Sat through some parts of the View HOL late last night, and based on what I'm seeing we would need at least the following:

One Windows Server server acting as the Remote Desktop Services host (Windows Server Std license + ~5 users CAL + RDS Licensing)
Licensing for as many users as you have accessing those RDS servers for VMware Horizon (probably 3-5 licenses)

My concern is stemming from the fact that this really basic, REALLY small deployment will cost us (on the VMware side) at LEAST $3,000 per user for VMware Horizon View licensing.

They can't be serious with that licensing cost :psyduck:

VDI is the wrong angle to take on the original issue, imo. If the original issue is that people are bringing in personal equipment and are doing so out of defiance, the answer is to auto-map their mac addresses to a guest network. You need to investigate switches capable of DVLAN and/or setting up an isolated guest network.

Edit: Another way of thinking of it: If these fucks aren't using corporate equipment, why would they use your VDI?

Edit 2: Failing getting them to stop using personal equipment because they literally cannot do work on a guest network (i.e. if they yell to your GM that their unmanaged machines have some kind of right to be on your secure network), RDP is going to save you waaaaaaaaay more money. View only makes sense in huge scale, and even then the license cost largely mitigates other savings.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 9, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
What is CAN? I figure it can't be the CANbus fieldbus I'm familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Controlled Access Network, which isn't as widely used a term as I thought it was (from Google), though every financial I've worked at has used it.