Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CommanderApaul posted:

Does Internet Recovery support the Mac Pro? Hold down Cmd-R and it should prompt you to select a network, then boot you into recovery mode and let you reinstall OSX direct from Apple, or restore from a Time Machine backup.

Not the 2010 one. I solved the issue using a blank hard disk though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Trying this new Nylas' email app called N1. It's the first app that I've felt could replace Sparrow for me.

That looks good.

Did you sign up on the page or did you grab it from github?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

noirstronaut posted:

Trying this new Nylas' email app called N1. It's the first app that I've felt could replace Sparrow for me.

How snappy is it? I see it's built on Node/Electron which doesn't bode well for performance

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

flosofl posted:

That looks good.

Did you sign up on the page or did you grab it from github?

I was able to download it this morning after someone had retweeted the TheNextWeb article about it. I guess they added the invite setup sometime during the day.

The Milkman posted:

How snappy is it? I see it's built on Node/Electron which doesn't bode well for performance

It's not fast, but it's not slow? It takes awhile to download pics and resources from emails, but it's not like I'm sitting there waiting for them all to load. I am using version 0.3 so it's totally possible version 1.0 makes or breaks the app.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

GokieKS posted:

And FWIW, this isn't really something you can pin on Parallels (or VMware, which has the same limitation for using Bootcamp partition in VM) - the whole point of SIP is to stop malicious software / users who don't know what they're doing from being able to access stuff that can really screw things up, and unfettered access to partitions through /dev definitely falls under that. If you are a power user who knows what you're doing and need that access, then just disable it and you have the same level of access and security as you did in previous versions of OS X.

SIP doesn't block access to all /dev nodes, only those which back disks holding SIP-protected files. Just tested it on a usb key (note, it has to be unmounted or it will say the device node is busy):

code:
$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled.
$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk2 bs=128k count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
13107200 bytes transferred in 1.197052 secs (10949566 bytes/sec)
If Parallels is broken by SIP, /dev access isn't why. (Unless maybe they're trying to open the node for the whole disk, rather than just the partition they need, but that seems unlikely IMO.)

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

This I can't agree with though; a lot of devs are under the impression that SIP will likely be mandatory in 10.12, and any work-arounds that involve disabling it are to be viewed as temporary fixes at best.

I don't think fully mandatory is ever going to happen. As long as Macs can boot another OS (and as long as target disk mode is a thing), there's a way of modifying stuff under /System and the other protected hierarchies. (Note that the alternate OS need not even be OS X.) I doubt Apple is going to lock down Macs to the extent required to absolutely prevent altering system binaries, and as long as that's true, there's not much point in completely cutting off the equivalent of "csrutil disable".

That said, devs definitely should plan on running with SIP enabled since if enough users disable it Apple will probably try to... discourage that. According to the wwdc session, SIP is part of a defense-in-depth strategy for protecting the running operating system against malware attacks, specifically phishers that fool users into entering admin (=root) passwords.

As long as the type of user who reflexively types passwords leaves SIP on, mission accomplished. IMO this is why the disable was moved from a GUI operation in early betas to command line only. Malware might have been able to coach naive users through command-R followed by clicking something, but entering commands in a terminal is probably a bridge too far. But if legit software successfully convinces lots of users to do it, Apple might feel a need to make it harder.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is Lightroom CC unstable for anybody else after upgrading to El Capitan? It used to be pretty stable (with the occasional freeze) but now it's almost unusable. Whenever you do something at all - like deleting photos, applying presets, etc. - the whole thing crashes. It's happened a number of times yet, and I've tried logging in/out of Adobe CC, rebooting etc. Nothing seems to work, and the problems starting after updating the OS.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

chuck2020 posted:

Luceo posted:

Is there a Twitter client for OSX that does these things:

1) not play animated gifs/whatever automatically (gently caress you, Tweetdeck)
2) allows for filtering/muting
3) previews quoted tweets automatically (this I like about Tweetdeck)
4) works well in a single column view (Tweetdeck is abysmal at this)
I come to sing the praises of Tweetbot! It's not the cheapest app in the world, but it looks slick, works great, and syncs across all of my devices. I've loved that app since day one.

Yeah, Tweetbot does everything you're looking for here. It's not free/cheap, but the cross-device syncing is great.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

So, anybody noticed that Secure Empty Trash has disappeared from the Finder in El Capitan?

You can do 'srm' from Terminal or get Cocktail El Capitan edition to secure empty the trash, but nothing was as elegant as that simple old Finder menu choice..

Yeah. It doesn't work for SSDs and USB disks because of the abstraction layer that presents flash storage as equivalent to spinnydisks; as most macs ship with flash storage now it's offering a false sense of security. Secure Empty Trash had a recovery rate of 67% on SSDs, and 10% on USB devices.

srm can work for SSDs (though it's still got a recovery rate of ~5% of the original data), but is useless on USB (recovery rate >70%).

True secure data erasure on flash devices won't happen until we abandon the abstraction layer that treats them like spinnydisks.

Paper here

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It was mentioned previously in this thread that if your drive is encrypted it didn't make a difference if you secure deleted.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
This question is a bit out-there, but here goes: I have an early 2013 13" rMPB. Ever since upgrading to Yosemite I've had sporadic graphical glitches show up, and I'm 99% sure they only happen if I've been browsing 1) in Firefox, 2) with GPU acceleration turned on, and 3) on sites with heavy use of animated GIFs and the like (including SA avatars and imgur, or better yet, infinite-scrolling tumblrs). If I open a ton of tabs with this type of stuff (i.e. to the point where Firefox gets slow and takes up 3GB of RAM) I can almost always get some weird graphical glitches, but it does occasionally happen during regular browsing too. The glitches disappear on their own after a while. It doesn't ever happen if I'm using Safari. When it does happen, eventually, maybe hours later, my computer will freeze and hard reset, even long after the glitches are gone, Firefox was shut down, and I'm using a totally unrelated program. I was curious if El Capitan would make it better or worse-- it seems to be slightly better so far, but basically the same.

I ran the apple HW diagnostics and it came back clean. I know about the GPU switching glitch issue in the 15" rMBPs that Apple fixed, dunno if there's a relation, but obviously I have integrated Intel graphics only (HD4000). My best guess is there is an obscure driver bug or hardware defect that the native Apple software manages to avoid, but is making Firefox write into the wrong part of the RAM and corrupt it? I'm out of warranty and it's not that hard to work around, so I'm probably not going to pay to have it looked at, but I'm curious if anyone else with similar hardware has seen this or is willing to try to reproduce it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

chuck2020 posted:

I come to sing the praises of Tweetbot! It's not the cheapest app in the world, but it looks slick, works great, and syncs across all of my devices. I've loved that app since day one.

Froist posted:

Yeah, Tweetbot does everything you're looking for here. It's not free/cheap, but the cross-device syncing is great.

Bought it based on your recommendations and it does everything I'm looking for. Thanks! :cheers:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sheesh, 1password for iOS is free, but on OSX it's Fifty loving Dollars? I think I'll just stick to manually generating new passwords a couple of times a year...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Anyone use some kind of encryption software with dropbox and have recommendations?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Sheesh, 1password for iOS is free, but on OSX it's Fifty loving Dollars? I think I'll just stick to manually generating new passwords a couple of times a year...

iOS version has IAP for the good features.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

enojy posted:

they recently changed 1password for iOS from a paid app to a free app with a pro version as an inapp purchase. 1password's expense has always been a gripe but its always been worth the price. no other password manager comes close to the combination of usability and design 1password has.

Levitate posted:

Anyone use some kind of encryption software with dropbox and have recommendations?
if you don't care about cross-platform, use an encrypted disk image in disk utility. otherwise i'd recommend bittorrent sync as a non-cloud secure syncing solution.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What's an easy way to image my OS drive to an external for backup purposes (laptop needs to be serviced)? Prefer a built-in solution (still on Mavericks if that matters), but open to 3rd party apps if it'll be easier that way.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I was lucky enough to grab 1Password when it was on sale following that Heartbleed thing a while back; it was something like $40 for the full Mac / Windows bundle, which is a crazy good deal. That said, I would have easily paid full price for it. Also, AgileBits seems to be pretty generous with their update policies - they never charge for minor version updates and sometimes even the major version updates are free, at least that was the case for me going from 4 to 5.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

enojy posted:

I'm using Dashlane for my password managing needs and I love it (as much as you can love a password manager). If you wanna give it a go, feel free to use my referral code for 6 months free Premium (I get 6 months extra that way, too :) ): https://www.dashlane.com/en/cs/3bb0463c

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Office 2016 El Capitan report: Seems to work fine, user is happier, we'll see how it shakes out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
1Password seems more popular than LastPass, on the Mac at least. Is there a reason for this? I've been using LastPass for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems and it costs something like $13 a year. Is there some kind of functionality I'm missing by not using 1Password?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Levitate posted:

Dropbox only updates the difference between files last I knew - encrypted files don't work well in that case.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Krispy Kareem posted:

1Password seems more popular than LastPass, on the Mac at least. Is there a reason for this? I've been using LastPass for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems and it costs something like $13 a year. Is there some kind of functionality I'm missing by not using 1Password?

Aside from being uglier Lastpass does the same thing and doesn't require elaborate, expensive apps for each platform, and syncs itself.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Milkman posted:

Aside from being uglier Lastpass does the same thing and doesn't require elaborate, expensive apps for each platform, and syncs itself.

1Password is integrated into a ton more iOS apps than lastpass is, so it could just be brand visibility or the extra convenience on mobile.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Also 1P isn't dependent on an external service being active.

I could, if I wanted to, put my 1P db on a thumb drive and use it wherever I want.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

If Parallels is broken by SIP, /dev access isn't why.

So is VMWare Fusion, except that Fusion displays cryptic errors when you try to boot the Boot Camp partition, rather than any useful messages. You have to dig into their support forum to find that the workaround is, indeed, turning off SIP.

I mention Fusion, because the latest version of each VMWare product finally supports OpenGL 3.3 for guests, rather than the 2.1 supported by Parallels and VirtualBox.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Blinkz0rz posted:

Also 1P isn't dependent on an external service being active.

I could, if I wanted to, put my 1P db on a thumb drive and use it wherever I want.

Well now I know what I'm doing next year when my lastpass sub runs out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Splinter posted:

What's an easy way to image my OS drive to an external for backup purposes (laptop needs to be serviced)? Prefer a built-in solution (still on Mavericks if that matters), but open to 3rd party apps if it'll be easier that way.

Time machine will work. You can do a full restore from one if necessary. I had to rollback to Yosemite using a TM checkpoint due to VPN client issues with work. Took about an hour, and then another 30 mins to do software updates. Had zero issues.

If you're looking for a bootable image, then something like Super Duper.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Xabi posted:

Is Lightroom CC unstable for anybody else after upgrading to El Capitan? It used to be pretty stable (with the occasional freeze) but now it's almost unusable. Whenever you do something at all - like deleting photos, applying presets, etc. - the whole thing crashes. It's happened a number of times yet, and I've tried logging in/out of Adobe CC, rebooting etc. Nothing seems to work, and the problems starting after updating the OS.

I've been running ElCap since the early betas and haven't had an issue with it at all. I was in Lightroom all weekend and it didn't so much as hiccup.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Bob Morales posted:

Dropbox only updates the difference between files last I knew - encrypted files don't work well in that case.

I was thinking more like Truecrypt style containers for any time when I might need to share moderately sensitive personal files and was feeling paranoid. With Truecrypt kinda dead I was looking for something else. Veracrypt seems to exist and do that but I dunno if there are any concerns about it

Being temporarily over paranoid

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NeuralSpark posted:

I've been running ElCap since the early betas and haven't had an issue with it at all. I was in Lightroom all weekend and it didn't so much as hiccup.
Same. I spent the last few days processing shots in Lightroom CC on El Capitan without issue.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Kaizoku posted:

Well now I know what I'm doing next year when my lastpass sub runs out.

I was under the impression you could set up lastpass the same way but I've never tried.

Not sure why you'd switch to 1password if you didn't like paying the $12/year for LP though. $50 ($70 if you want Windows too), plus the IAPs for the phone apps, and do it all over again when it's time to upgrade. Not saying it's not worth it if you wanna lay down the cash but it's not exactly a money saving move.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
I use both Lastpass and 1Password, 1pw for personal stuff and Lastpass for work. Lastpass just lacks a lot of polish but at the end of the day they both get the job done.

The Lastpass iOS app is pretty frustrating to use as the search function doesn't return results nested in folders. So if you have a lot of items named the same thing (like we do, for instance each of our clients' Godaddy credentials) the search is worthless.

Also if you have a lot of items in Lastpass it can be slow to make changes. It has to decrypt and re-encrypt every individual item in the vault whenever changes are made. Which takes 5-10 seconds on my system. Updating a bunch of stuff in there was beyond frustrating. Support basically said "yeah that's the way it works, you should see if you can delete some items to speed it up" (seriously).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Anyone else not that fond of El Capitan and SIP? I liked XtraFinder. As someone who came from Windows, being able to press enter to open a file is just natural. I don't see why cmd + o is somehow a better option. I also want my folders back to the top of the list.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Sad Panda posted:

Anyone else not that fond of El Capitan and SIP? I liked XtraFinder. As someone who came from Windows, being able to press enter to open a file is just natural. I don't see why cmd + o is somehow a better option. I also want my folders back to the top of the list.

Try Cmd+down instead of Cmd+O. You can fly through Finder using Cmd and the arrow keys.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

jmu posted:

I use both Lastpass and 1Password, 1pw for personal stuff and Lastpass for work. Lastpass just lacks a lot of polish but at the end of the day they both get the job done.

The Lastpass iOS app is pretty frustrating to use as the search function doesn't return results nested in folders. So if you have a lot of items named the same thing (like we do, for instance each of our clients' Godaddy credentials) the search is worthless.

Also if you have a lot of items in Lastpass it can be slow to make changes. It has to decrypt and re-encrypt every individual item in the vault whenever changes are made. Which takes 5-10 seconds on my system. Updating a bunch of stuff in there was beyond frustrating. Support basically said "yeah that's the way it works, you should see if you can delete some items to speed it up" (seriously).

What I do with similar logins is change the name of it when it gets added. So I have things like AWS Prod. Or SomeApp US-East-1. It makes it easier to find.

Also you can do tagging if you wanted. I like the server management and being able to attach ssl keys so I won't lose them. I got permission to expense my 1password license and bought it while it was on sale so I could have it win/mac but I never got around to getting reimbursed.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Sad Panda posted:

I've been missing XtraFinder and TotalTerminal quite a bit...considering turning it off but that doesn't seem like a great idea either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

qutius posted:

I've been missing XtraFinder and TotalTerminal quite a bit...considering turning it off but that doesn't seem like a great idea either.

Yeah, Total Finder is toast as well. That was disappointing.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Xabi posted:

I've been using Lightroom daily for work. I've had no issues on both of Mac Pros or rMBP.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I'm amazed by the existence of all this code injection software people are crying about losing. I had blissfully thought that 'haxie' technology had mostly died a well deserved death years ago. Patching system code has always been a 'you takes your chances' sort of thing, the right approach for an issue like "the Finder sucks" is to write a new file browser application, not gently caress around with its internals to make it suck less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Milkman posted:

I was under the impression you could set up lastpass the same way but I've never tried.

Not sure why you'd switch to 1password if you didn't like paying the $12/year for LP though. $50 ($70 if you want Windows too), plus the IAPs for the phone apps, and do it all over again when it's time to upgrade. Not saying it's not worth it if you wanna lay down the cash but it's not exactly a money saving move.

I don't mind the price at all? I'm actually quite happy with last pass, but the polish of 1password has been nagging at me for a few months now. That portability is very appealing. Last pass portable is just chrome or Firefox portable with the last pass extension.

Is there anything that forces your hand into upgrading 1pw versions?

Also this

jmu posted:

B

Keepass got the job done, even, and I still use it for a few credentials. I would not mind going down to one at all.