Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Unless your internet connection is faster than your hard drive you probably shouldn't be downloading linux ISOs to your SSD - it's likely to put a great deal of wear on it moving very large files on and off constantly for no appreciable benefit. Just change your default download location in your linux ISO downloader utility.

I'm pretty sure you can only enable quotas per-user, per-drive. Not per-folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

..btt posted:

Unless your internet connection is faster than your hard drive you probably shouldn't be downloading linux ISOs to your SSD - it's likely to put a great deal of wear on it moving very large files on and off constantly for no appreciable benefit.

Write endurance isn't anything to worry about for normal usage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jan posted:

Write endurance isn't anything to worry about for normal usage.

This guy has a LOT of Linux ISOs.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The thing about linux ISOs is that there are a lot of them being released all the time, and it's easy to fill many disks with them. And from what I understand, wear levelling doesn't work quite so well with a full drive. I get that wear isn't generally an issue on SSDs, but he has a small system drive and presumably a large storage drive/NAS. So he might as well just download direct to where he'll store them.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Entropic posted:

If you change out the motherboard and CPU on a system that was upgraded to Win10 from Win7, is it going to deactivate, and can it be reactivated without a reinstall?

This depends on whether your base install you upgraded from is retail or not. Microsoft never really bothered to enforce the oem-single-system tie.

I expect to be able to move my 10 license, I have all my retail boxes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

loving Windows 10 Pro keeps enabling US Keyboards while I'm using UK English and it's infuriating. I've already tried the dumb "enable US to disable it" trick that shouldn't even be required and it keeps coming back.

I'm not sure if it's too late for me to revert to W7 now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ijyt posted:

loving Windows 10 Pro keeps enabling US Keyboards while I'm using UK English and it's infuriating. I've already tried the dumb "enable US to disable it" trick that shouldn't even be required and it keeps coming back.

I'm not sure if it's too late for me to revert to W7 now.

Worst happens you can just, you know, reinstall Windows 7. All 10 does is clear out the old environment after 30 days to save space.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

It's going to deactivate, and while you can phone MS and try to convince them to do a phone activation, the Windows 10 license you agreed to expressly bound that license to your then current hardware, and when you replace that hardware, you are obligated to buy a new license.

You could just reinstall 7, activate it, then do the upgrade again, which will 'bless' your new hardware.

lmao What a clusterfuck. Dumb dumb dumb.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Then buy a real copy of it and move it to any computer you want. It's not that hard to understand.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

lmao What a clusterfuck. Dumb dumb dumb.

Given that this is supposed to be the last version of windows, and from now on it's free updates forever, it makes sense because otherwise those who owned retail copies of Win7, would never buy another copy of Windows again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Idk it just sounds confusing. If it's free updates forever then just make the thing free and be done with it.

Or at least just loosen up activation restrictions in order to get more people on the platform forever.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Also, does free updates forever mean that MS has to support 32-bit Windows forever or is there a "cut off" support date for Windows 10.x around the corner in a few years?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

So when I first did the updater from 8 to 10 I got 10 Pro but I recently reformatted and accidentally downloaded Home is there an easy way to switch from Home to Pro without reformatting again

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I was experiencing some critical computer failures right after updating to Win 10 the first time around, which turned out to be the fault of a dying video card. But at the time, I did not know that and I spent many moons restoring, reformatting, reinstalling, etc.

Now I'm back on Win 7 Pro, with a new GPU, and I'm trying to upgrade back into 10...but twice now the Media Creator thingie Downloads, Verifies, and the starts to Clean Up, and then I get a pop up saying:

"Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again."

I did that the first time, but have no real desire to reboot and go through it all again until I've fixed the underlying problem. Any suggestions?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Idk it just sounds confusing. If it's free updates forever then just make the thing free and be done with it.

Why? MS make most of their Windows money from OEM licences and Software Assurance. If they just made it free they'd have no money coming in for Windows at all.

Basically they're relying on the fact that PCs break and need to be replaced, hence the push for per-device licenses, and trying to get rid of all those transferable retail box copies.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Kerbtree posted:

This depends on whether your base install you upgraded from is retail or not. Microsoft never really bothered to enforce the oem-single-system tie.

I expect to be able to move my 10 license, I have all my retail boxes.
The free upgrade becomes device specific, regardless of whether you started out with a retail license. You will not be able to move your Windows 10 license any more than anyone who started out with an OEM license.

In other words you can move it by installing your previous Windows version on new hardware and updating again and even that will end when the free upgrade offer ends.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lum posted:

Why? MS make most of their Windows money from OEM licences and Software Assurance. If they just made it free they'd have no money coming in for Windows at all.

Basically they're relying on the fact that PCs break and need to be replaced, hence the push for per-device licenses, and trying to get rid of all those transferable retail box copies.

Yeah maybe free's too far? but I don't know it just seems complicated

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

Entropic posted:

Licensing has been getting ever more awful since they started moving away from COAs in favour of secureboot nonsense in Win8.

What does secureboot has to do with activation?

Also:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Last Chance posted:

Also, does free updates forever mean that MS has to support 32-bit Windows forever or is there a "cut off" support date for Windows 10.x around the corner in a few years?
Is there even a 32 bit version of 10?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lum posted:

I don't see how that follows - no one was suggesting making SA or OEM licences free

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I re-installed Windows 10 onto a new SSD and am having a few issues with Booting into Windows.

- I now have my old and new HDD's still in the machine with windows still installed on both, which seems to be confusing the boot sequence and either loops seemingly rebooting or tells me I need to repair.

The only way I can get around this is by disabling all boot options, and manually selecting the Windwos Boot manager in BIOS to boot from (which is located on the old HDD).

So, my question is - because the MBR appears to be on the old HDD if I format the old HDD completely will it ruin my ability to boot into the new OS or will the new SSD just default onto it's own Boot manager?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Yeah maybe free's too far? but I don't know it just seems complicated
It's not complicated. You just have to pay for a new key when you get a "new" computer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

It's not complicated. You just have to pay for a new key when you get a "new" computer.

For the moment you don't though - what you do need to do is jump through some extra hoops (install and activate 7, upgrade that to 10)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cloud the Cat posted:

I re-installed Windows 10 onto a new SSD and am having a few issues with Booting into Windows.

- I now have my old and new HDD's still in the machine with windows still installed on both, which seems to be confusing the boot sequence and either loops seemingly rebooting or tells me I need to repair.

The only way I can get around this is by disabling all boot options, and manually selecting the Windwos Boot manager in BIOS to boot from (which is located on the old HDD).

So, my question is - because the MBR appears to be on the old HDD if I format the old HDD completely will it ruin my ability to boot into the new OS or will the new SSD just default onto it's own Boot manager?

In this case I'd try https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ free version first. It will let you look at where your bootloader is and what entries it has as well as change them. I have a Windows 7 and 10 dual boot on my laptop and initially windows 10 ate the bootloader of 7 when I first installed it. If the bootloader is on the disk you want it to be on, unplug the other disk and boot up to simulate what formatting it will be like. If things are fine with it unplugged, you can wipe it or just set the disk you want to be the bootdisk with EasyBCD. With my setup I have it boot Windows 7 by default but I added a 10 second delay so I can pick Windows 10 if I want to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dissss posted:

For the moment you don't though - what you do need to do is jump through some extra hoops (install and activate 7, upgrade that to 10)
If you want to get a free upgrade on a new machine, yes. That seems fair considering you're getting a $130 operating system for free.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lum posted:

Given that this is supposed to be the last version of windows, and from now on it's free updates forever, it makes sense because otherwise those who owned retail copies of Win7, would never buy another copy of Windows again.

In Europe (or at least in the GSA area) MS - and any other software vendor for that matter - isn't allowed to bind the license to your hardware, since that's explicitly forbidden by several German High Court decisions, meaning you just have to phone them if your new/rebuilt PC doesn't accept the license and they have to reset it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is anyone else having problems keeping their Pro edition of 10 up-to-date? My coworker and I cannot update our machines from Windows Updates. I also can't update Defender (but he doesn't use that). While I have a desktop, he has a tablet, and it also doesn't update when he brings it to his home network or tries a cell modem. The downloads just stay at 0%.

I've tried stopping the services, wiping the WU directories in the C:\Windows directory, and anything else I can read online, but I can't update. And since it's not just my computer, and not just our network, I figured someone else must be having this problem. I'm not really looking for troubleshooting, as I can make a topic for that. But I was wondering if anyone else had a problem installing any updates.

(No problems ever updating either in Windows 7.)

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Dumb question about windows licenses:

I am currently running an old machine I built with OEM Win 7. I am on the cusp of building a new machine to replace it and I would like to avoid having to buy another copy of Windows if I can manage.

I don't have any experience transferring licenses across machines. Will I run into any trouble if I simply plug my key into the new machine and then stop using the old one? Will I need to call Microsoft and make up a story about how I "replaced some parts" in my computer? If I do that successfully, will anything bad happen if the old machine ever connects to the internet and phones home to Microsoft or whatever it is Windows does to verify authenticity? Does any of this change if I do the Win 7 to 10 upgrade on the new machine?

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Rexxed posted:

In this case I'd try https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ free version first. It will let you look at where your bootloader is and what entries it has as well as change them. I have a Windows 7 and 10 dual boot on my laptop and initially windows 10 ate the bootloader of 7 when I first installed it. If the bootloader is on the disk you want it to be on, unplug the other disk and boot up to simulate what formatting it will be like. If things are fine with it unplugged, you can wipe it or just set the disk you want to be the bootdisk with EasyBCD. With my setup I have it boot Windows 7 by default but I added a 10 second delay so I can pick Windows 10 if I want to.

Thanks Rexxed, perfect!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

If you want to get a free upgrade on a new machine, yes. That seems fair considering you're getting a $130 operating system for free.

My point is it doesn't achieve anything aside from causing user frustration.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dissss posted:

My point is it doesn't achieve anything aside from causing user frustration.

Most users aren't going to care. Hell, most of them probably aren't even going to notice. They're going to keep doing what they've always done, which is to just buy a new machine with the OS pre-installed with an OEM license when their old one stops working well enough for them. Meanwhile, MS gets to harvest a ton of data and some goodwill, from people who probably wouldn't have upgraded so quickly if it weren't free.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Most users aren't going to care.

Might as well annoy the hell out of those that do for no real reason

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

No real reason aside from getting a free upgrade

If this was some kind of sneaky way around getting a free upgrade of windows that someone had discovered, no one would have a problem jumping through the hoops.

Just because it's an official microsoft solution being offered, and they've made it pretty clear what exactly you are being given, it's the worst thing in the world

Goons

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dissss posted:

Might as well annoy the hell out of those that do for no real reason

Right, except for the real reasons I mentioned in the part of the post you didn't quote.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Right, except for the real reasons I mentioned in the part of the post you didn't quote.

The rest of your post was completely irrelevant.

What they may as well have done was allow activations on changed hardware for the period the free upgrade is available. Microsoft would have lost nothing by doing so.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or just buy the OS and get over it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I could live with them exchanging retail key for retail key for $40 in addition to and for the duration of the current offer.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IUG posted:

Is anyone else having problems keeping their Pro edition of 10 up-to-date? My coworker and I cannot update our machines from Windows Updates. I also can't update Defender (but he doesn't use that). While I have a desktop, he has a tablet, and it also doesn't update when he brings it to his home network or tries a cell modem. The downloads just stay at 0%.

I've tried stopping the services, wiping the WU directories in the C:\Windows directory, and anything else I can read online, but I can't update. And since it's not just my computer, and not just our network, I figured someone else must be having this problem. I'm not really looking for troubleshooting, as I can make a topic for that. But I was wondering if anyone else had a problem installing any updates.

(No problems ever updating either in Windows 7.)

Try:

Settings - Updates and security - Windows Update - Advanced settings - Change how updates are delivered - Updates from more than one place

Turn off.

I'm using a non-english version of Windows, so the translations might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
WTF KB3035583 was re-released as a critical update 10/5. I tried Win 10, I felt it wasn't ready, and my job doesn't want people to run it yet. I already had to reformat my PC to get Windows 10 off and go back to 7 and hide the update. Now thanks to the re-release, this morning when I opened windows update I was only greeted to a "Start upgrading to Windows 10 now!" This is a seriously lovely roll out strategy for business users.