Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

double negative posted:

Luke Cage is really the one I'm looking forward to the most (the casting for that once has been on point thus far, too), but given that he's necessarily a significant character in this, too, I can't help but be drawn in. I don't know Colter's work too well, but here's hoping he and Ritter are good on-screen pairing. They've made good picks thus far, so I'm optimistic.

Still waiting on seeing who they cast for Iron Fist, but he's certainly the one out of the four I'm least familiar with, and most curious to see how they'll pull off.

There were unsubstantiated rumors about Ryan Phillipe being cast as Danny Rand. That would be great, but I figure if it was happening it would have been confirmed by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

There were unsubstantiated rumors about Ryan Phillipe being cast as Danny Rand. That would be great, but I figure if it was happening it would have been confirmed by now.

Weren't there also rumors that Iron Fist was having a lot of trouble getting off the ground? Like, enough trouble that they were thinking about calling it off? Could've sworn I heard it from this very thread.

Gaz-L posted:

I think the issue is that it's a weird fit for what they seem to have in mind. Jones, Cage and Daredevil all work in this small, ubran area of New York. Iron Fist COULD, but the most successful run of stories from the comics were globetrotting, dimension jumping adventures. Even his origin is a lot harder to squeeze into the Hell's Kitchen vibe, because it involves Himalayan mountain climbs and magical kung-fu cities.

It is a weird fit, but the point's moot because the rumor was partially debunked in this very thread, and I was even there.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 8, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the issue is that it's a weird fit for what they seem to have in mind. Jones, Cage and Daredevil all work in this small, ubran area of New York. Iron Fist COULD, but the most successful run of stories from the comics were globetrotting, dimension jumping adventures. Even his origin is a lot harder to squeeze into the Hell's Kitchen vibe, because it involves Himalayan mountain climbs and magical kung-fu cities.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

DivisionPost posted:

Weren't there also rumors that Iron Fist was having a lot of trouble getting off the ground? Like, enough trouble that they were thinking about calling it off? Could've sworn I heard it from this very thread.

If they don't announce anything about the casting or even showrunner at the NYCC Marvel Netflix panel this weekend... well, it wouldn't definitively confirm those rumors, but it would certainly lend them some additional credence.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 8, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Barry Convex posted:

If they don't announce anything about the casting or even showrunner at the NYCC Marvel Netflix panel this weekend... well, it wouldn't definitively confirm those tumors, but it would certainly lend them some additional credence.

ITS NOT A TUMOUR!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Well, thing is... first of all, if that was going to be a problem, Marvel Television should have thought of that before they decided to include Iron Fist in the initial Netflix package and not a year and a half after.

Secondly, if not downplaying the mystical stuff means a significantly different tone from the first three Netflix shows, I fail to see how that's inherently such a bad thing. Daredevil S1 didn't feel like it was set in the same universe as any other MCU project to date, and that still worked out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Well, thing is... first of all, if that was going to be a problem, Marvel Television should have thought of that before they decided to include Iron Fist in the initial Netflix package and not a year and a half after.

Secondly, if not downplaying the mystical stuff means a significantly different tone from the first three Netflix shows, I fail to see how that's inherently such a bad thing. Daredevil S1 didn't feel like it was set in the same universe as any other MCU project to date, and that still worked out.

I mean, DD had a lot of little things that were obviously intended to tie into Iron Fist. I'm sure they had a plan for what their take on it was going to be. They could include a lot of mystical elements and still keep it "grounded" and similar in SFX budget to DD by focusing on more oldschool kung fu fights and not have Iron Fist punching through helicopters and stuff. I would be fine with that.

All I really want from Iron fist is like the DD's hallway fight and the Nobu fights like very episode. I don't care if they have to have the simplest most generic Iron Fist plot, give my kick-rear end kung fu every episode and punching the poo poo out of stuff and I will be happy. Don't even bother trying to show him fight Shao Lao. Just show us like, before and after. I figure with 12 episodes, they could have 3-4 episodes worth (but possibly spread out) of flashback content establishing the origin of how Danny Rand became the Iron Fist, and the rest of it being dealing with poo poo in the in the present that ties into whatever crossover poo poo they have set up so far.

And if you think about it, the over-the-top Mortal Kombat style magic will work great, because we will have already seen DD and Luke Cage do a bunch of conventional beating the poo poo out of things, so Iron Fist mixing up the visual style of action could be a welcome change.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 8, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm not at all excited for Iron Fist because I flat-out never heard of him before this Netflix order, but if you comic book people say he's cool, then alright.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine it will be close to street level stuff just for the Defenders sake and that we should just come to term with a series that's more Heroes for Hire rather than Immortal Iron Fist.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

I'm not at all excited for Iron Fist because I flat-out never heard of him before this Netflix order, but if you comic book people say he's cool, then alright.

I had never heard of him before this thread. Then I bought some comic books. It's basically Mortal Kombat. There's a bunch of magical kindoms and they have a fighting tournament. Iron Fist got his power from beating a literal dragon, who is immortal, with Kung Fu and then touching its heart. Now, when he activates the Iron Fist, he can punch through anything. There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the gist of it.

after seeing how good the fight choreography was in Daredevil, especially stuff the like Nobu fight, I'm totally pumped that they will do Iron Fist justice in some way.

edit: ^yeah like I said, i'm not expecting netflix Iron Fist to be punching through tanks or whatever. If he could just punch concrete without hurting his fists I'd basically be satisfied as long as he's really good at kung fu. And he fights Steel Serpent.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 8, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Snak posted:

I mean, DD had a lot of little things that were obviously intended to tie into Iron Fist. I'm sure they had a plan for what their take on it was going to be.

Grain of salt, but rumor is that while Madame Gao et al. were definitely intended to allude to the Iron Fist mythos, the DD crew included that stuff without any real foreknowledge of what the IF series itself would be or how it'd tie into DD S1.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt, but rumor is that while Madame Gao et al. were definitely intended to allude to the Iron Fist mythos, the DD crew included that stuff without any real foreknowledge of what the IF series itself would be or how it'd tie into DD S1.

I mean yeah, you're right I'm sure they didn't "have a plan" in the sense of there being specifics that are set up in DD, but Madame Gao is definitely, 100% set up to tie in with that and they purposely gave her psuedo magical powers and alluded to her being from "much farther away than China". So yeah I wasn't trying to say the had some kind of plan, I just meant they had intentionally established the possibility of kung fu magic and other realms. It's not like they accidentally put those things in there. So it's not like they are 100% against those things happening later. That's all I meant.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You can have Immortal Weapon Iron Fist and Heroes for Hire shenanigans, you don't have to choose. Iron Fist's solo series is Immortal Weapon, Mortal Kombat by way of Kwai Chang Caine and The Phantom. However introduce him as Luke Cage's good buddy in the Cage series and then just have him and Cage Hero For Hiring all over the place in Defenders.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also I just wanted to re-iterate: I am so psyched for Jon Bernthal as Punisher in DD season 2. I've been re-watching The Walking Dead and he absolutely nails "barely controlled smoldering rage" in a lot of his scenes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Snak posted:

Also I just wanted to re-iterate: I am so psyched for Jon Bernthal as Punisher in DD season 2. I've been re-watching The Walking Dead and he absolutely nails "barely controlled smoldering rage" in a lot of his scenes.

He was literally the only good thing about TWD, the show died with him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

He was literally the only good thing about TWD, the show died with him.

I don't really want to get into this here, or anywhere, because i'm completely isolated from public culture concerning TWD, but opinions like this continue to amaze me. As far as I'm concerned, the show didn't really get good until all the characters I hated died, which was midway through the season after Shane died. Now, Shane was a pretty great character, but 70% of his story was dumb soap-opera love-triangle bullshit that almost turned me off the show entirely.

Which reminds me: We got three great moments out of, but I was really bummed when Wesley died. He owned that character.

Speaking of: Marvel.wikia.com says that Wesley appeared in 5 comics, but there is only a single image of him on there. If anyone has additional images of Wesley as he appeared in the comics, I would really like to see them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lycus posted:

The main reason people care about Iron Fist these days is that just under 10 years ago a few of the best writers / artists in the industry got a hold of the character and had a really, really good run with it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Even as cool as Iron Fist can be, his series is the one I'm most iffy about. I think it's a hard sell for TV, I'm worried they can't do all the mystical martial arts stuff justice without turning it into a 70s-style kung fu movie which is pretty played out at this point, but if they make it more realistic it's just gonna be too similar to Daredevil.

I'd much rather they just made him a bigger part of Luke Cage's show and turned that into Heroes for Hire, and then went and did a Moon Knight show instead because how loving cool would that be.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

So what are the odds that they premiere the entire first episode of JJ at NYCC this Saturday? I notice that the panel is an hour and 45 minutes long, and the Daredevil panel last year was only an hour...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's also covering two shows instead of one. We'll probably get a trailer but not much else.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

It's also covering two shows instead of one. We'll probably get a trailer but not much else.

Officially, the Daredevil portion is only a look back on S1. Doesn't mean there won't be more than that, but I'm not sure it'd justify an extra 45 minutes over last year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK finally we have something approaching an actual trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi2hbejO75s

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

zoux posted:

OK finally we have something approaching an actual trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi2hbejO75s

Purple Man confirmed creepy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, I was completely loving wrong, they're about to show the first episode here

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MrAristocrates posted:

Well, I was completely loving wrong, they're about to show the first episode here

Jealous! I expect a full trip-report.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Being cynical, she must have sucked serious cocks (#woodmetric) to get that role. Or anal........

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What's the thing all about anal.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's a play on some sort of romcom.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

osietra posted:

Being cynical, she must have sucked serious cocks (#woodmetric) to get that role. Or anal........

osietra posted:

What's the thing all about anal.

osietra posted:

It's a play on some sort of romcom.

Uh what

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
If you're gonna shitpost at least have the decency to use the edit button.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I might write a little more when I'm not on my phone but I really liked it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Low-rear end-quality Daredevil teaser leaked (at around 1:18 or so) get it while it's gettable for like the next fifteen seconds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Low-rear end-quality Daredevil teaser leaked (at around 1:18 or so) get it while it's gettable for like the next fifteen seconds.

Not much there, digging the Royal Blood backed season one overview promo though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
All the twitter reactions I'm seeing for the Jessica Jones episode are really positive, though they do say its crazy dark. Still, not sure you would expect any negative reactions from the comic con crowd but it seems like a decent sign.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was kinda worried it was gonna be a lot lighter in tone and not mesh well with Daredevil so that sounds okay to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lycus posted:

I was kinda worried it was gonna be a lot lighter in tone and not mesh well with Daredevil so that sounds okay to me.

The comic is probably darker than most Daredevil stuff actually. Well except the stuff by the same writer.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jessica Jones' Viral Marketing Graffitis New York City

Sneak Peek at Jessica Jones Production Art

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Jessica Jones Has Hot Sex and Nuanced Sexuality (Especially for a Marvel Show)

Contains significant E1 spoilers, so be warned.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how big is hells kitchen for it to have its own superhero and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

how big is hells kitchen for it to have its own superhero and poo poo?

A superhero without an ability to fly or websling or drive or run really fast would likely have difficulty managing more than 2 or 3 square miles, especially in a population dense, crime-ridden location.

Hell's Kitchen proper is about 3/4 the size of Central Park, I think.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 11, 2015