Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The canon route for FF7 should have been ignoring Yuffie and Vincent entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Even when Aeris dies, the best Vincent can muster is a shrug
So its not as if he is hard to ignore

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Let me tell you something BROTHER, Ronsomania can't run wild on you unless you're representing the colours of Ronsomania, Red and Yellow BROTHER.

Alternatively, Kimahri catches the idiot disease from a certain someone. :v:

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

Also this is all great. Wrestling incorporated into video games makes everything better. It's just science. :vince:

One of the legions in Chaos Legion does wrestling moves as a counter including the chokeslam and the stunner.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aurain posted:

Alternatively, Kimahri catches the idiot disease from a certain someone. :v:

You're gonna have to be more specific; There's at least three of the :v:.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're gonna have to be more specific; There's at least three of the :v:.

The idiot in your ~heart~

(If the idiot in your heart is a red-head, please refer to this)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aurain posted:

The canon route for FF7 should have been ignoring Yuffie and Vincent entirely.

Hey, Yuffie's not so bad. Aside from that whole Wutai sidequest thing.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought Leviathan was worth it. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Speaking of Leviathan: why is there no Leviathan in this game? We've got elemental summons for three of the game's four elements, but no water summon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There's actually a good answer to that question, but it's total spoilers so just sit on it for a while.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

BlitzBlast posted:

There's actually a good answer to that question, but it's total spoilers so just sit on it for a while.

There is? I don't remember any explanation about it, but I haven't played in a few years.
I also suddenly deeply want to see Kimahri in Macho Man Randy Savages' sunglasses :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's not something that's explicitly brought up in the game proper, just conjecture. But it's still a good answer.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh yeah, I remember now. Yeah, it's spoilery as gently caress at this point, but I'm a fan of that particular theory.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This talk of Powerbombs and Suplexes gets me to thinking that Yuna ought to take a leaf out of our theoretical Kimahri's notebook and start wrasslin' dudes. Or at least use her Aeons do so as much. I mean, come on. Look at those guys. Whatever we named Ifrit could totally run a Rock Bottom and it would be the best.

Man, I miss the Hardy Boys.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm utterly lost as to what you're all talking about spoiler-wise. Guess I'll just wait and see. Never mind.

But yeah, chalk me up as someone who wanted to see a Water Aeon.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I also suddenly deeply want to see Kimahri in Macho Man Randy Savages' sunglasses :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And I'd say she suffered her punishment for that incident, given that she nearly got raped by a short, fat, ugly, greasy, corrupt, conceited, piggish excuse of a man.

Really, I like Yuffie as a party member myself. She's got useful equipment and limit breaks, which are really the only two things that set anyone apart from other party members; stats don't matter much in the long run given that Materia gives you free customization. Vincent, on the other hand, only has one of the two, having some decent weaponry, but really lovely gimmicky limit breaks, which typically earns him a permanent spot on my team's bench.

And a quick Googling about that water aeon thing presented an interesting thought. I'd never heard that theory before. But I still would've preferred an actual Summon-able water aeon.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
To make an uneducated guess maybe the idea of having a giant sea monster that everyone's poo poo as one of your summons would be considered in poor taste, given the circumstances.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

To make an uneducated guess maybe the idea of having a giant sea monster that everyone's poo poo as one of your summons would be considered in poor taste, given the circumstances.

This is also a very reasonable idea.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
This game really hit the sweet spot for art design on the summons. They all look more fully realized than the ps1 games thanks to the new graphics capabilities, and the art design didn't go off a strange deep end yet like in 13. 12 was cool also but for me they didn't match the magic of the "classic" summons.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Med School posted:

This game really hit the sweet spot for art design on the summons. They all look more fully realized than the ps1 games thanks to the new graphics capabilities, and the art design didn't go off a strange deep end yet like in 13. 12 was cool also but for me they didn't match the magic of the "classic" summons.

The one non-Sazh related thing I like about XIII was the summons. They were completely stupid and used properly in maybe two scenes, but I did like seeing Transformers fighting monsters.

Shame about the everything else, though.

That said, I agree that these are good looking, aside from Seymore's death metal mascot, but it's villainous so it's allowed to look ridiculous.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Geostomp posted:

The one non-Sazh related thing I like about XIII was the summons. They were completely stupid and used properly in maybe two scenes, but I did like seeing Transformers fighting monsters.

Yeah, they actually felt pretty thematically fun as a whole, and one of the few unambiguously good things in XIII vanilla.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIxnvxjqGUA

I forgot to add the obligatory video link.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

How can Seymour talk like that and have a summon that looks like that? Whenever he speaks I think his summon should be Tinkle from Zelda.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone else think Anima kinda looks like (VIII Ending spoiler) Ultimecia's final form?

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
I'd say it might look that way, if it were reversed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FFXIII was boring trash from a gameplay perspective and a convoluted mess from a story perspective but I swear the artists and composers were doing a hell of a good job when they made it. LOVE its music.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
The big problem with FFXIII's story was not what XIII did with it. It's the fact that they felt it needed not one, but TWO sequels. I have no idea what the story is about for those two games, and I'm perfectly fine that was. FFXIII's story may be terrible, but at least it works well enough on its own. There's really nothing that can be added to it to make it better. In fact, I'm given to understand that the sequels make it worse. I'm fairly certain that the only reason those sequels got made in the first place was because they were planned from the beginning by that one developer that came up in the Drakengard 3 thread, the one that's basically in love with Lightning.

EDIT: Apparently I was misinformed (and totally not pulling assumptions out of my rear end) about that last point. Apologies.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 8, 2015

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Bufuman posted:

The big problem with FFXIII's story was not what XIII did with it. It's the fact that they felt it needed not one, but TWO sequels. I have no idea what the story is about for those two games, and I'm perfectly fine that was. FFXIII's story may be terrible, but at least it works well enough on its own. There's really nothing that can be added to it to make it better. In fact, I'm given to understand that the sequels make it worse. I'm fairly certain that the only reason those sequels got made in the first place was because they were planned from the beginning by that one developer that came up in the Drakengard 3 thread, the one that's basically in love with Lightning.

Not much you can do about the creepy people who make these Japanese games. There's a lot of them out there, unfortunately.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bufuman posted:

There's really nothing that can be added to it to make it better.
Clearly you have not played either game (they are both much better games tonally and from a gameplay perspective).

Bufuman posted:

I'm fairly certain that the only reason those sequels got made in the first place was because they were planned from the beginning by that one developer that came up in the Drakengard 3 thread, the one that's basically in love with Lightning.

That one's outright false, they've even said on record XIII-2 only happened because XIII was such a trainwreck they had enough cut/leftover assets that they could easily make an entirely new game out of it. And did.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Bufuman posted:

They were, somehow, even worse in the story front. Just know that the entire series happens because all deities involved are either pointlessly evil, or just plain incompetent. Also, XIII-2 has what is quite possibly the biggest mary sue of a villain this side of fanfiction.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh, and I have to say, I had a much better time with XIII-2 than the first one. You'd think a game about time travel would be harder to follow, but nope, it was actually pretty easy to follow.

Fricking loved the "Worlds Collide" music for Paradox Alpha, too. You're fighting a giant hand attached to a phantom giant!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bufuman posted:

XIII-2 (and LR to a lesser extent) primarily exist because there were a fuckton of leftover art assets after the production of FF13. The stories they wrote for them are mostly nonsense used to justify going back over the same area several times over (again, for XIII-2 moreso than LR), and were almost definitely not planned at the time of 13's production. Like, 13-2 literally retcons the ending of 13 within the first two hours, because if the original ending stood, none of 13-2's nonsense would work. While it's hard to say anything about LR for sure, 13-2 was almost certainly green-lit as a way to recoup some of the 13 dev costs on a relatively small budget and attempt to garner some good will by addressing a few of the major complaints from 13.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Artix posted:

While it's hard to say anything about LR for sure, 13-2 was almost certainly green-lit as a way to recoup some of the 13 dev costs on a relatively small budget and attempt to garner some good will by addressing a few of the major complaints from 13.

I doubt there was any goodwill left after XIII-2. But that's just me.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

I never played 13 I just watched someone else play it for part of the way through. I'm surprised they didn't do 2 sequels to 12 considering the amount of world building they did for Ivalice. I always wanted some adventures in the 2/3 of the world you know is there, but never get to explore.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I liked XIII and XIII-2, but I play games to be entertained, not because I give a poo poo about immersion or storyline. I am also a Known Haver Of Bad Opinions, so there's that.

I still haven't actually finished Lightning Returns because the entire game being under a time limit annoys the poo poo out of me.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Not everyone wants immersion, but I consider it a pretty major selling point, especially if you're going to invest up to hundreds of hours in something.

The linearity of FFXIII was pretty much dead-on the main problem with it. If they'd taken the FFX route of spreading the maps out a bit, pacing it so that there was some breathing room between action sequences, and added some incidental details that could be pursued at the player's leisure on the side (for example, the Belgemine encounters), it would have gotten a whole lot less hate. People who play an RPG are generally content taking their time, and the feeling of being shot quickly from setpiece to setpiece wears out.

On the other hand, the similarities to FFX would have been even more obvious, particularly including the corrupt civil/religious administration and the party winding up on the wrong side of it.

Oh well. The music was good, the combat was fun, and the enemy designs were gratifyingly nonsensical, from Designer Jeans Behemoth to Airplane Moai Pope-bot.

I dropped FFXIII-2 halfway through when Xenoblade came out in the US and never looked back, having been reminded what a joy it is to have your RPG's party be actually likable.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXII: Try My Patience

Music: Seymour's Theme

Right. The people have spoken. Shiva may be a magical being summoned into this plane of existence to graciously aide us in battle. But I heard nothing in the contract about giving it any kind of respect. So we'll just be referring to it by a mid-tier Batman villain's tragic coma wife in a jar's name from this point onward.

Tromell kindly dropped a save point next to the exit while he and the boys dragged Seymour's corpse away before it started to leave an odor. That was sure nice of him.

We're heading back the way we came. The other path is blocked as that leads to the fayth and that's a summoner's only zone which Yuna already sorted out off-screen. Probably best to bail on Macalania in general what with the whole high profile murder thing that just went down and all. I'm sure it's going to be great for Al Bhed's political relations to have one of them among the whole assassination squad in the temple.

Wait... what?

Oh... Nonononono! C'mon, game! You're not doing this! Yuna got the goddamn aeon already. We don't need to do a bloody Cloister of Trials here. Nobody likes this poo poo! Nobody!

Uggggh... Welp. This is happening. Hey, Yuna didn't you already solve this entire thing? In record time, I might add. Mind just tagging in and speed running it again? Tidus and the rest did just gank Seymour and get put on a government black list for you, after all.

gently caress...

Alright. Fiiiiiine. We'll do your goddamn puzzle dungeon. Let's see what we've got to work with here. We've got a central pillar with a sphere stuck in it and a small pedestal a bit south to it hanging out. Let's try swapping those and see what happens.

We can take the Glyph Sphere from the central platform and slot it in the pedestal. The game doesn't give any indication, but we can now slide this thing while it is activated. Just what this game was missing! A sliding block puzzle! Said no one ever in the existence of the human race.

So we can shove this block to the east where it impacts with an ice stalagmite and comes to a complete stop. That's how physics work, right?

From there, we can shove the pedestal northward wherein it will take out another mound of ice. However, instead of stopping dead in its tracks like before, it will continue to slide down a newly revealed slope...

It will skillfully drift around a corner and come to a stop at another, much smaller put apparently unbreakable patch of ice at the bottom of the slope. I wonder how many summoners got stuck in here and had to contact the temple maintenance thanks to the pedestal just toppling over at this point? Despite gliding on the floor like it's on some anti-gravity field, I can't imagine some 100 pound scrawny summoner like Yuna could push that thing upright if the puzzle hosed up.

Glyph Sphere has had its fun on the Cloister ride. Time to get off and let the other kids play.

In the western half of this room we've got three Sphere shaped indentations to choose from. Spoilers: The Glyph Sphere only works on the leftmost slot.

drat. I spoiled it...

Using the Glyph Sphere down below will raise a platform directly above (by the path initially leading into the area) and will also reveal another sphere along with it.

Now we need to have Tidus do a lap upstairs to recover the newly revealed Macalania Sphere. Who or what the heck is Macalania and why was it prominent enough to have a forest, a lake, and a temple named after it?

Anyway, we can take the Macalania Sphere back down to that sliding block puzzle pedestal and shove it into its slot.

With the Macalania Sphere slotted in, we can now shove the pedestal to the east, straight into a pillar slot by the far wall. With that done...

...The first of three sections of the ice bridge reappears up above. Alright. One-third of the way done with this lousy business. Now what?

Well there's another sphere up above to the eastern part of the room that has activated. Or it was activated and we never looked at it... I'm not sure. It was useless up until this point, so who cares! We need it now.

The camera makes a point to pan over to an empty space after the second Macalania Sphere is removed. We'll have to remember that for later.

Macalania Sphere Numero Dos gets shuffled downstairs and slotted into the western pillar slot, naturally. What do the other slots do? Jack poo poo, naturally. This isn't even a puzzle, it's just busy work. These Guado suck at temple design.

The second Macalania Sphere finding its proper home will activate the second of the three ice bridges out of this dump. Almost there to freedom.

For the last walkway, we head upstairs and remove the Macalania Sphere by the slope leading to the lower level. Did I mention there was a sphere there too? No. Where there was. And we're gonna take it and slam that sonuvabitch in the middle pillar where we took the Glyph Sphere originally.

And sweet freedom at last!

Let's just have Tidus book it back upstairs and blow this po—

Wait? What's this? Excuse me, game. I am leaving this temple. What are you trying to pull?

Oh yeah... Right... There's the Destruction Sphere puzzle we've got to do. God DAMMIT! Why did I come back to this LP...? Ugh. Fine. Fine!

This Destruction Sphere business is a real fucker since I mean... we could just leave. The exit is right there. But nope. There's another eight minutes of sorting out this filler nonsense. We'd just have to come back and do the whole drat thing again later if we skip out now. So, we'll just have to grit our teeth here.

So stepping on the flashing panel at the start of the Cloister will spawn a new sliding pedestal embedded with another Macalania Sphere. We'll just go ahead and snatch that up...

...And shove the pedestal itself out of our way. Like its predecessor, it will effortlessly glide around a curved icy slope as though on rails. However, when it hits the mid-point of the slopes...

...The pedestal gets sort of awkwardly no-clipped across the room and embedded into a jagged chunk of ice that just so happens to contain the Destruction Sphere we need.

The Macalania Sphere we are carrying is useless right now. So we'll just slot that in the platform on the western part of the room and remember where we parked.

We're going to grab the central pillar's Macalania Sphere instead. Now we've done gone and screwed up our escape route. Hey... what happened to the rest of the party? Why is only Tidus stuck with the puzzle challenge? He's like the least qualified person here beyond maybe Wakka. Argh.

The central pillar's Macalania Sphere will be used to reform the slope to the lower level of the Cloister. We're going to need to dick around down there in a minute.

In the southern part of the upper level is now another glowing pressure plate like the one up above that got us into the second leg of the Cloister's trials. Having Tidus shuffle onto this one will...

Reset the pedestal's position to where it began. The two pressure plates actually just reset the position of this pedestal if the player messes up the sliding block portion of the proceedings. If we'd walked on the upper ice platform after hitting the pressure plate up above, the third portion of the walkway would vanish as soon as we touched it because the pedestal and the sphere have reset. Yes, that means you can totally dick up this puzzle accidentally by lumbering upstairs and walking on that plate by mistake not knowing what it does. Yes I did that the first time I played this game and was very annoyed by that fact.

Getting back on task, thanks to that weird no-clipping business the pedestal did earlier, the Destruction Sphere is now accessible from the newly reset position. Yoink!

Finally, we can take another trek downstairs and use the Destruction Sphere on that previously unused third slot on the left to reveal a treasure chest buried in the ice. What's the reward for all that effort,you ask?

Why it is a... Luck Sphere...? Luck? Are you kidding me? That nebulous lovely thing is always the “I dunno put some weird math in there. They can look it up on a wiki if they care” programmed stat?

In Final Fantasy X, Luck dictates the critical hit percentage chance as well as evasion. The Luck Sphere will plop down a Luck node on a empty slot of the Sphere Grid. The thing is, you need a Fortune Sphere to actually activate a luck node. The last one of those we got was way back at the Mi'ihen Highroad. The next one we'll see is... let's take a look. Hmm... Around ten hours from now! Until then, this thing is only good for sitting in the bottom of Kimahri's purse or wherever we're keeping the inventory.

Terrific. Let's get the hell out of here...

So now we need to pretty much redo the whole beginning hullabaloo just skipping the Glyph Sphere part. Remember the first Macalania Sphere we left upstairs?

We need to relocate that sphere to the easternmost corner of the room. This causes the ice patch from the beginning of the Cloister of Trials nonsense to reform.

Then it's just a matter of shoving the pedestal back downstairs like the first go around.

Grabbing the Macalania Sphere we used to form the ice, sticking it back into the pedestal downstairs, then shoving it back into place.

And finally, taking the Macalania Sphere forming the path downstairs and relocating it to the central pillar to return the whole upper ice bridge back to its former glory.

I am so unbelievably over this entire temple. I feel like this alone has us entirely in the right for having cut down Seymour. Speaking of the departed, wow Seymour's Theme is not a great loop to hear for fifteen minutes straight. Get me out of this place, please!

Tidus catches up to the party who seem to be having some trouble with the Guado natives. Huh. I guess everyone really did just ditch Tidus behind to do the entire Cloister of Trials by himself and nobody noticed he got left behind. Some friends you are.

"No need, I already know what I'll tell the other maesters."
"Meaning...?"

New Music: Those Who Come Closer

”I regret to inform you...”
*deep inhale* “Guado Clan ain't nuthin' to gently caress with.”

"Let you go? Lord Seymour would never forgive us if we did."

“Jyscal's sphere! We can show it to them!"

”I am afraid your alleged evidence... isn't all it was... cracked up... to be. Hehehe.”

Tromell shatters Guado Ghost Dad's Final gently caress You to his son. You bunch of dunces probably should have taken that along with you. This is fairly high up on the incompetence scale. Even you are loving up here bad, Auron. Tsk.

“If a human falls in the woods and there is no one to hear it but we Guado, does it make a sound?”
“...Uhh. Yeah? You dudes have like stupidly huge ears.”
“Not if there aren't any witnesses.”
“...What does that even MEAN?!”

Welp. Diplomacy has failed! Auron is booking it. We are LEAVING. You fools do NOT want to see the inside of a Guadosalam prison!

Video: Episode 63: Highlight Reel

Macalania Temple Glyph

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Doing a puzzle temple when you already got the summon...that's like being a good kid AFTER Christmas morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, you think Tromell actually looked at that sphere or do you think he's just smashing it out of spite because "whatever the hell was on that drat thing made them KILL OUR KING!"

• Locked thread