Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

achillesforever6 posted:

It's just that we saw this exactly last year and we know that in the next season Bob Nutting is going to gently caress this team by not giving any money and the rich rear end in a top hat teams will take our free agents and then we will have another 20 year losing streak that will lead to us losing a few bullshit wildcard games

Yeah the NL playoffs are a mess. No one can argue the Dodgers and Mets deserve a best of 5 over CHI-PIT, but you do have to figure without the playin change, the third best team in baseball would be left out of the playoffs which would also be pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Raylen posted:

Yeah, I have solace in knowing that a bunch more countries will be created before the Cubs ever make it back to the World Series.

lol. You aren't even joking are you, this is a for serious meltdown

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Bregor posted:

Rofl he's a Red Wings fan

Oh well is St Louis is second team? He seems to cheer them on alot
Also go Cubs

E: I also keep thinking asinhowe is a Blues fan so I think I'm just drunk

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Raylen posted:

Sorry you're too poor to afford a television

Jesus man, slow down.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Raylen posted:

Sorry you're too poor to afford a television

Man, I'm glad to know that there is someone on SA saltier than me, holy poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

why don't they just make it 160 game season and then you can have two 3-game WC series on the same days

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Dexo posted:

That I understand trust me, minus the small market stuff. But no need to be super irrational and unironically think Arietta is hitting dudes on purpose or doing anything malicious.

No one thinks this

Why are you trying to score cheap points on this, your team injured the Pirates grievously and is in the process of handing them a devastating home WC loss

Try harder

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
go cubs go

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

people throwing baseballs at each other and shoving each other is dumb, but i admit a dude karate chopping the gently caress out of a gatorade canister was rad as hell

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

tinstaach posted:

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous to advocate for intentional HBPs after that, regardless of the situation. And Fiers was trying to throw a strike, or at least something close to it.

I never advocated for ihbp. I think that ihbp should be an instant ejection and unintentional should get a warning but I guess we wouldn't get benches clearing in a play-off game if they treated hbp with the danger that they actually entail.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Homeybeef posted:

Any other fan base for any other team would look at how this game is going and thing "yeah we got this". But this is Cubs baseball and please don't gently caress this up :tinfoil:

Cubs bullpen was so good this year they got to put Clayton Richard and 2015 Fernando Rodney on the postseason roster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah the NL playoffs are a mess. No one can argue the Dodgers and Mets deserve a best of 5 over CHI-PIT, but you do have to figure without the playin change, the third best team in baseball would be left out of the playoffs which would also be pretty terrible.

It's this bizarre thing where I figured we had like a 1/5 chance in beating Chicago over 1 game, even odds at the Cards in 5 games, and like a 75% chance over the dregs of the NL in the CS. Playoffs are kind of stupid.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Homeybeef posted:

Any other fan base for any other team would look at how this game is going and thing "yeah we got this". But this is Cubs baseball and please don't gently caress this up :tinfoil:

The cubbie bullpen knows no bounds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

why don't they just make it 160 game season and then you can have two 3-game WC series on the same days

The idea is that a 3 game WC will give the divisional winners too much time between the regular season and the playoffs.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Well guys it was cool to see Michael Morse get a hit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Moxie posted:

No one thinks this

raylen literally thinks this

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I guess the grown men got real mad and needed to let each other know about it in close range.

And for some reason it must be the water coolers that pay the price.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I disagree, every series should be a one game playoff

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Popete posted:

The idea is that a 3 game WC will give the divisional winners too much time between the regular season and the playoffs.
second home run derby that's just those teams

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Also more fights, that was awesome

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Manager boxing match for wild card

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

beejay posted:

What countries aye there to be created still? South Osettia, Abkhazia? Catalonia and Basque country just ain't happening and lol if anyone thinks Bavaria or The Venetian Republic are happening.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
alright everybody lets get ready to choke

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lt. Chips posted:

Remember the brief experiment with getting rid of water coolers and putting a soda fountain in the dugout instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlepYUrJ2mk

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Moxie posted:

No one thinks this

Why are you trying to score cheap points on this, your team injured the Pirates grievously and is in the process of handing them a devastating home WC loss

Try harder

The Literal posts about how arietta is putting people in danger.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

What countries aye there to be created still? South Osettia, Abkhazia? Catalonia and Basque country just ain't happening and lol if anyone thinks Bavaria or The Venetian Republic are happening.

Great post

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Catalonia could probably beat Chicago at baseball. Dope is legal there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

The cubbie bullpen knows no bounds.

Rondon has a 1.62 ERA and strikes out nearly 9 per nine.
Strop's numbers are not terrible either.

I have no confidence in anyone.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Lt. Chips posted:

It's ok, I hear that water cooler wasn't playing the game the right way.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The mid East is a cluster gently caress

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

that new Texas one

edit: they can give the baseball teams to Montreal and Portland

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

raylen literally thinks this

where did I ever say Arrieta's pitches were intentional? I said he should have been thrown out for his lovely pitching but continue putting words in my mouth lmao keep living up to your user name

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So if the Pirates had ended up with 97 instead of the Cubs would their fans still be bitching about the injustice of the new wild card system?

Yes? I would at least. I mainly watch hockey, whose playoffs are a full best of 7 for each round. Baseball is even more of a series sport, and it's a real turnoff because it really seems to undermine the concept of playoffs. If you're going to have series based playoffs in a sport where one game essentially a coin flip, all of your rounds should be some degree of a best-of. It's so anticlimactic to have literally the 2nd best record in the loving majors and lose out of the playoffs on a one game coin toss where you the hottest pitcher in the game. Baseball's better teams show over more than one game where they get to start their best starter, and it would probably show even in a best of 3.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

New Concept Hole posted:

I never advocated for ihbp. I think that ihbp should be an instant ejection and unintentional should get a warning but I guess we wouldn't get benches clearing in a play-off game if they treated hbp with the danger that they actually entail.

agreed, two unintentional HBPs shouldn't get you tossed but one intentional one definitely should, and suspended too.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Bring on the Brittany revanchists.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

beejay posted:

lmao SERIOUS MELTDOWN

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lt. Chips posted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CQwtDEjWwAIdxHz.mp4

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Raylen posted:

where did I ever say Arrieta's pitches were intentional? I said he should have been thrown out for his lovely pitching but continue putting words in my mouth lmao keep living up to your user name

If pitchers were tossed from games for their lovely pitching then like a third of the league's pitchers wouldn't ever finish an outing you idiot

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Raylen posted:

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Raylen posted:

Well poo poo, I guess he just assumed that was your point instead of the completely idiotic garbage you actually believe.

• Locked thread