Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm using AADSync. When I force run the dirsync (by running the task manually from task scheduler) it shows as completed successfully. However when I log in to Exchange Online I do not see changes I made reflected. Example changes: new user created not showing up (to assign a license to it), or changing the display name of an existing user. I googled this and apparently there are some attributes that will prevent a sync on a user, but I checked all attributes and they do not apply to me. Any suggestions?

:yaycloud: snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm using AADSync. When I force run the dirsync (by running the task manually from task scheduler) it shows as completed successfully. However when I log in to Exchange Online I do not see changes I made reflected. Example changes: new user created not showing up (to assign a license to it), or changing the display name of an existing user. I googled this and apparently there are some attributes that will prevent a sync on a user, but I checked all attributes and they do not apply to me. Any suggestions?

:yaybutt: snipe

Check AADSync tool (they changed the name of it) for any errors in the sync. Most of the time it is an alias that is the issue.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Check AADSync tool (they changed the name of it) for any errors in the sync. Most of the time it is an alias that is the issue.
ohohohohohoho so looks like I have an error status for some of these actions - status "no-start-credentials" with failed authentication. Looks like service account password changed! Resetting it solved the issue. Thanks.

How annoying though that I had to look at the thing to know it failed. It was marked successful even when i checked msol sync status in powershell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How annoying though that I had to look at the thing to know it failed. It was marked successful even when i checked msol sync status in powershell.
microsoft.txt

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I am building a new Exchange 2010 server on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box. Our current server is having issues because of the hard drive space. My plan is to bring up this new server and move everything over to it and make the current server go away.

The current server has all roles installed on the one server (except Unified Messaging which we don't use). I have setup the new server and got all the transport rules and such setup but I am having an issue. Yesterday a user said a bunch of his emails disappeared. When looking into this I noticed that the missing emails went to the new server but there does not seem to be any certain characteristic to the email that went there. I also am not sure if it was just this one user or if others are affected and just don't realize it.

A couple things that I know are a problem that I am not sure how to resolve. One is that the 2nd server has its own mailbox database even though all the mailboxes are still on the 1st server except 2 that I moved over. Those 2 are just test ones that I have. Is there a way to copy the original database over to the new server and use that instead of having 2 different ones?

The second thing is I do not have a CAS array or DAG setup at all. It looks like I cannot do a DAG because I am not running Server 2008 R2 ENTERPRISE edition, just standard. I assume I can get away with not having that especially if I am going to be at a single server again when completed. I don't know why there was never a CAS setup as I did not setup the 1st server. Will creating the CAS solve the other issue? Can I create one after the fact and not have it mess everything up?

I am still learning all this Exchange stuff but I am getting better at using powershell and EMC.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Trastion posted:

I am building a new Exchange 2010 server on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box. Our current server is having issues because of the hard drive space. My plan is to bring up this new server and move everything over to it and make the current server go away.

The current server has all roles installed on the one server (except Unified Messaging which we don't use). I have setup the new server and got all the transport rules and such setup but I am having an issue. Yesterday a user said a bunch of his emails disappeared. When looking into this I noticed that the missing emails went to the new server but there does not seem to be any certain characteristic to the email that went there. I also am not sure if it was just this one user or if others are affected and just don't realize it.

A couple things that I know are a problem that I am not sure how to resolve. One is that the 2nd server has its own mailbox database even though all the mailboxes are still on the 1st server except 2 that I moved over. Those 2 are just test ones that I have. Is there a way to copy the original database over to the new server and use that instead of having 2 different ones?

The second thing is I do not have a CAS array or DAG setup at all. It looks like I cannot do a DAG because I am not running Server 2008 R2 ENTERPRISE edition, just standard. I assume I can get away with not having that especially if I am going to be at a single server again when completed. I don't know why there was never a CAS setup as I did not setup the 1st server. Will creating the CAS solve the other issue? Can I create one after the fact and not have it mess everything up?

I am still learning all this Exchange stuff but I am getting better at using powershell and EMC.
You don't need DAG or a CAS array if you're only going to have one server at the end. You don't want to move the original database over, it'll be easier just to move mailboxes (they stay online during the move). You do need the CAS role though, that's what lets people connect via Outlook or OWA.

When you say emails disappeared, do you mean new mail he tried to send or expected to receive was gone, or do you mean old messages in his mailbox were moved? Where were they on the new server? Transport rules are org-wide, so you shouldn't have had to set them up on the new server at all.

Unless.....what version of Exchange is the old server?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

wyoak posted:

You don't need DAG or a CAS array if you're only going to have one server at the end. You don't want to move the original database over, it'll be easier just to move mailboxes (they stay online during the move). You do need the CAS role though, that's what lets people connect via Outlook or OWA.

When you say emails disappeared, do you mean new mail he tried to send or expected to receive was gone, or do you mean old messages in his mailbox were moved? Where were they on the new server? Transport rules are org-wide, so you shouldn't have had to set them up on the new server at all.

Unless.....what version of Exchange is the old server?

Both are Exchange 2010. Sorry I meant Receive Connectors under Hub transport. There are separate ones on each server and things were broken until I put them on the 2nd server.

As for the disappeared emails they were ones he received and saw in the morning but some time around 1pm the were gone. I used tracking log explorer on each server to search for emails to him and they both came up with different stuff.

I do have the Client Access stuff setup just not the Array part.

The user in question is a remote user and would be checking his emails from Outlook in a remote office and with his phone and OWA sometimes. When I looked in his mailbox from my computer I could not see the emails either.

I am sure this is something I did wrong. I just cannot find anything searching for it.

I currently have the 2nd server shut off, because i do not want it eating any more emails, until I can figure out what to do to fix things.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Trastion posted:

Both are Exchange 2010. Sorry I meant Receive Connectors under Hub transport. There are separate ones on each server and things were broken until I put them on the 2nd server.

As for the disappeared emails they were ones he received and saw in the morning but some time around 1pm the were gone. I used tracking log explorer on each server to search for emails to him and they both came up with different stuff.

I do have the Client Access stuff setup just not the Array part.

The user in question is a remote user and would be checking his emails from Outlook in a remote office and with his phone and OWA sometimes. When I looked in his mailbox from my computer I could not see the emails either.

I am sure this is something I did wrong. I just cannot find anything searching for it.

I currently have the 2nd server shut off, because i do not want it eating any more emails, until I can figure out what to do to fix things.

Check his dumpster too. I can't imagine a second server eating something that made it into a mailbox.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

wyoak posted:

Check his dumpster too. I can't imagine a second server eating something that made it into a mailbox.

At this point I am not really concerned with getting back the emails as much as I am in fixing things and getting everything finished on the new server.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Trastion posted:

At this point I am not really concerned with getting back the emails as much as I am in fixing things and getting everything finished on the new server.

It's entirely possible the two are unrelated. It's hard to imagine a scenario where just installing a new server causes messages to be deleted from a user mailbox, especially if this isn't a DAG setup. I'd look at his clients and their settings. He may have archiving turned on, or POP on some device, etc.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Trastion posted:

Yeah, like Will Styles mentioned it's not about his mail but whether or not something is actually broken.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

wyoak posted:

Yeah, like Will Styles mentioned it's not about his mail but whether or not something is actually broken.

If it was something on his devices wouldn't it break things even when i only have the original server up as I do now? Things only break when the new server is online at the same time which makes me think that something on that server is configured wrong.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

oh come on this "cloud" trend will surely be over by 2018 and we'll all be ready to come back to prem exchange.

Heh, my company has done quite a few projects to pull O365 back on premise for clients in the last 2 years.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Have you guys been able to block ECP externally?

All Settings by users on OWA open the ECP so we were wondering if there's a way to block ECP but not user settings. Should we just block all admin users on the TMG?

Also, what solution do you guys use to synch the Outlook and OWA signatures? We have a couple of ideas but you might just have what we need :).

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

TEAH SYAG posted:

Heh, my company has done quite a few projects to pull O365 back on premise for clients in the last 2 years.

What are the usual reasons they want to come back on-prem? My company is considering it and I'm struggling to find reasons not to do it. I wouldnt mind some stories from the trenches.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Swink posted:

What are the usual reasons they want to come back on-prem? My company is considering it and I'm struggling to find reasons not to do it. I wouldnt mind some stories from the trenches.

Before the DoD released a cloud mail addendum to DFARS 7012, pretty much anyone doing anything remotely related to a DoD-managed project or subaward was looking at either a cloud-to-ground precipitation project or dumping sponsored work altogether. The loving waterfall of tears this created in higher education was incredible. Many had gone into the cloud to eliminate mail admin positions, found they needed mail admins anyway because :cloud: doesn't mean magical no-work-land, hired on less desirable talent, and were then finding they had to either get an on-prem system back or tell all their PIs (research professors) who have even a dollar coming from a DoD contact since Fall 2014 (you'd be surprised how quickly this becomes a majority if you trace award trails) that their labs are being either closed or sold off to a private entity.

For this and a few additional reasons (concerning definitions historically giving higher education an edge in managing research), small and medium fish have been simply saying "gently caress it" and closing out big patches of their research portfolios. I know personally of two instances in the last five months where, had the college/institute not gone to cloud mail and found themselves needing to move close to half their staff back to on-prem with all the licensing and salaries that involves, literally dozens of teacher-researchers wouldn't be looking at the portion of their salaries that were direct billed to the DoD and wondering what the gently caress they're going to do now that their department had to pick up the slack (read: dismissal in many cases).

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

orange sky posted:

Have you guys been able to block ECP externally?

All Settings by users on OWA open the ECP so we were wondering if there's a way to block ECP but not user settings. Should we just block all admin users on the TMG?

Also, what solution do you guys use to synch the Outlook and OWA signatures? We have a couple of ideas but you might just have what we need :).

Check permissions and see if there is an rbac rule for it. I'm not near exchange right now so I can't check it myself.

One advantage a web-based EAC provides is that you can partition Internet and intranet access from within the ECP IIS virtual directory. With this functionality, you can control whether users are allowed to have Internet access to the EAC from outside of your organization, while still allowing an end user to access Outlook Web App Options. For more information, see Turn off access to the Exchange admin center.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-CA/library/jj150562(v=exchg.150).aspx

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 13, 2015

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Methanar posted:

Check permissions and see if there is an rbac rule for it. I'm not near exchange right now so I can't check it myself.

We created separate CAS servers and then made DNS for ecp.domain.com only hit those internal CAS servers and disabled it on the public facing ones. Works great.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
This might be the newbiest question but here goes;

Practically every time anyone uses Outlook 2013 it'll prompt the user for login credentials, and sometimes it'll constantly come back until you've either clicked it to death or restarted the machine. We were originally using Exchange 2010 then migrated to 2013 (on prem) onto a new server, and it's been a bit of a bumpy ride but things are more or less all stable.

But am I right in saying that Outlook shouldn't even have to ask for credentials and just pick them up from your login session right? It's pissing all of the staff off and I was told "You'll only have to login once then it should be done", I'm thinking there's some kind of authentication shenanigans going on.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Are people checking the box that says to remember their login?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Yep, I've even seen it first hand that even when ticked it doesn't work.

I've seen it been cancelled, and then clicked the tiny "Need Password" text at the bottom right corner which gets Outlook to work.

I've seen the dialogue box come back again and again then stop when a machine is restarted.

I've gotten everyone to change their user name entry to Domain\Username instead of username@domain.com which seems to work.

It's such a random occurrence across the board, even my own machine prompts for login every day I load it up. You would think it's the age old problem of users being stupid but I've seen it happen repeatedly, when we were using Exchange 2010 the only time you'd be challenged for login credentials is if your AD password expired while you were still logged in.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
We have the same issue too and it drives me up the wall. I've tried so hard to figure out why and I can't figure it out.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
It really sounds like you don't have your authentication methods setup correctly. I went through the same thing when migrated 15k mailboxes from 07 to 13 except I fixed it before deployment.

Read dis

http://blog.gothamtg.com/2013/10/15/users-constantly-prompted-for-credentials-after-being-migrated-to-exchange-2013/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I was able to resolve an issue with similar symptoms by clearing the related entries in win7 credential manager.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I had that symptom when a user had a shared calendar attached to their outlook of a user that no longer existed.

Mostt times if the old user was removed the issue was gone, sometimes I had to configure the setting to not cache shared mailboxes before it went.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Oh I also get that popup with lync sometimes and I don't know why. Users just cancel out and Lync continues to work fine so it's low priority so I never fixed it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I'm working on a remote move migration from Exchange 2010 to Office 365 and I'm running into a problem with the hybrid configuration.

There are about 4 domains that need to be in the hybrid config. I have the main domain working (thank god) but the other domains are causing the Update-HybridConfiguration cmdlet to fail.

I get "Execution of the Set-RemoteDomain cmdlet had thrown an exception. This may indicate invalid parameters in your Hybrid Configuration settings.

The operation couldn't be performed because object 'Hybrid Domain - <domain>.mail.onmicrosoft.com' couldn't be found on '<our DC>'.
at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Hybrid.RemotePowershellSession.RunCommand(String cmdlet, Dictionary`2 parameters, Boolean ignoreNotFoundErrors)"

My question is why the gently caress is it looking at our DC? It should be looking at our Exchange box where that RemoteDomain resides.

I guess what I'll do is try migrating a test user who has one of the other domains as their reply address and see if there is a communication problem between on premise and Office 365. The domains are already on Office 365 and verified. Maybe I'm just making myself crazy over nothing.

Well, I guess I'll report back later on.

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 20, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It needs to be part of the hybrid configuration so that messages from on-prem users can be redirected appropriately. Have you tried just adding it in manually if the hybrid wizard is failing?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Couple of questions from the user's side:

Just migrated to O365 with Outlook 2013 on Win8 Ent.

I have a lot of rules like 'when message is from "Bob", move to "Bob" subfolder'
However, when a new message is in the subfolder, it doesn't trigger the 'unread email' icon in the taskbar (a message in the Inbox, will). This is affecting business!!!11!!

I created a rule to trigger a desktop alert on all new messages, but that only give a pop-up, not the persistent taskbar icon
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/46379/microsoft-outlook-new-mail-desktop-alert-for-subfolders/

Any way to get the icon working, to stop me missing new emails?

Secondly, because we have Windows phones I face a similar issue - the phone won't monitor subfolders and display them as new emails. I've made a kludge of setting a rule to make a copy of all incoming emails to a special 'phone' folder and set the phone to monitor that folder (rather than the inbox). Then in autoArchive, I set the subfolder to delete all emails after 2 weeks.

It works, but is there a slicker way?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I have an Office 365 non-Enterprise sub (so no Exchange license) using AD Sync, are there any good options for managing users? At the moment I'm just doing everything through Powershell or the ProxyAddress attribute in Active Directory Users & Computers, but it would be good to know if I've missed anything obvious.

Is the best option going to be to move to an E3 plan and get the free Hybrid Exchange 2013 license and install the CAS role to get the Exchange Admin Center?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

If I have an Office 365 non-Enterprise sub (so no Exchange license) using AD Sync, are there any good options for managing users? At the moment I'm just doing everything through Powershell or the ProxyAddress attribute in Active Directory Users & Computers, but it would be good to know if I've missed anything obvious.

Is the best option going to be to move to an E3 plan and get the free Hybrid Exchange 2013 license and install the CAS role to get the Exchange Admin Center?

I don't understand the question. If you just need to manage users why don't you do that in ADUC

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can, it's not a huge problem. If there was an obvious way that I'm missing to get the email address tabs in those dialogs then I would be interested in hearing it. At the moment I'm setting up aliases using the ProxyAddress attribute with SMTP for a primary address and smtp for aliases.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Thanks Ants posted:

It needs to be part of the hybrid configuration so that messages from on-prem users can be redirected appropriately. Have you tried just adding it in manually if the hybrid wizard is failing?

I was too ashamed of myself to come back and explain the resolution.

So...I decided to stop freaking out and run some tests. Since these were just alias domains and they were already in Office 365 I found that I had no problem e-mailing between on premise and O365 with the non-primary domains.

Basically I just wasted my time for a while when I should have tried that first.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
So I've hit a wall with tshoot on exchange 2010 SP3. It has to do with activesync, specifically attachments in activesync. It seems like with android e-mail, ios mail, and even outlook on the ipad, activesync connections cannot receive attachments bigger than about 50KB. I've looked everywhere for limits to activesync, and I've checked our web.config settings for maxRequestLength, and made sure that the exchange management gui has no limits set, and it's still broken. I've researched this for 2 days, and found that it could be a resource consumption issue but I never see RPC queues go above like 5 or so (my sources say above 70 is bad), and cpu/ram/disk space is all good on both the mailbox database server and the client access server. My gut tells me to ignore this since we're in the middle of an email migration to Google Apps, and just tell users to use IMAP instead.

Any ideas?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Did you run through exchange test connectivity? and verified you have all greens?

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any conceivable reason you would still want in house Exchange now for new deployments? I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but it seems like everyone should just make the move to Office 365 at this point.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A lot of Canadian data can't legally be hosted in the US.

e: and it sounds like O365 is down a hell of a lot more than my exchange server.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Also, the leverage Microsoft has over you when you don't even have some kind of a hybrid model is huge.

They can hike the prices all they want, it's all in the cloud anyway and the cost to bring it back on prem needs to be considered.

I consider hybrid to be a good compromise, always have a plan B.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Beefstorm posted:

Is there any conceivable reason you would still want in house Exchange now for new deployments? I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but it seems like everyone should just make the move to Office 365 at this point.

Regulatory concerns.
Data ownership concerns.
Support ownership concerns.
General upper management feelgood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
All green. It's so strange. I don't see anything in the event viewer, and we have narrowed it down to around 100Kb for when the attachements fail to load. It also doesn't happen in IMAP, or accessing mail through OWA. I've come to the conclusion that e-mail is just the worst and this is karma for me talking poo poo to strangers at the bar last weekend during homecoming.