Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

nate fisher posted:

How are you hiding the icon labels? My googlefu tells me there is an app for this, but it is just for jailbroken iphones correct?

Yeah JB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol forever if you jailbreak your phone

also all of your home screens are wrong and it is really bothering me :v:

Ahh. So close but sorry, Safari belongs in Music's spot.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

metavisual posted:

Yeah, I don't really do a lot with Twitter, but I'm definitely not a fan of the default app.

Any recommendation for a better one?

Tweetbot 4 supremacy

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Tweetbot 4 supremacy

What makes it better than the default client? I've asked people this before but never seem to get an answer. I'm not sure what I'd want a client to do that the default one doesn't.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What makes it better than the default client? I've asked people this before but never seem to get an answer. I'm not sure what I'd want a client to do that the default one doesn't.

For me the killer feature is that it can mute hashtags.

For instance I used to work in cancer research, and I have friends who still do. They'll often all wind up at professional cancer researcher conferences together maybe once a month. On a conference week my feed will end up completely full of banter from multiple people about stuff that is irrelevant to me. I can mute the conference hashtag, be able to read my feed again, and I can still see the unrelated stuff from those friends in my main feed (i.e. I don't have to move them into a "chatty people" list or whatever).

It also excludes a bunch of the other engagement/discovery features Twitter keeps trying to cram into the app. Stuff like "while you were away," "moments," and putting a cell in your feed with a list of irrelevant people they say that you should follow.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 8, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

robodex posted:

my home screen, linked for :nws: and extreme homosexuality

This is perfectly safe for work, unless you work at the Westboro Baptist Church or equivalent.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

For any 3rd party client, the biggest single advantage is not having in-lined, auto-playing video ads. Or any ads, yet.

Other features common to many are:
- Nice themeing, and a night mode.
- Muting / Muffling posts, either by keywords, hashtags or usernames.
- Slick user interface
- Multi-account support
- Better support for lists, and the ability to hide the newer garbage twitter features like activity, discover, and recommendations for random celebrity garbage.

Tweetbot is pretty nice, as is twitterific. See the iOS apps thread.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Oneiros posted:

You can put folders in the bottom tray! I keep my most frequently accessed apps sorted into folders in the bottom tray. Pretty much everything else I access thru search because gently caress keeping pages of apps organized / memorized.

No no no no no no no no no no.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Kaizoku posted:

Other than soundcloud and nyan cat, what are those soundboards?

I am interested in your background! What is it, and where did you get it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks kitten smoothie and wooger. Sounds like tweetbot may be in my future. The autoplaying videos are the worst.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minidust posted:

Am I really stuck with this banner if I only want my phone to show offline music?

I don't have an active Apple Music subscription, if that matters.

Nope. Apple really, really wants you to use their cloud features.

If it helps and you ever accidentally tap that "show all music" link, you can re-disable it by tapping the category headers (like Artists/Songs, whatever you get at the top of your music list) and turn it back off. But that just brings back the header. :downs:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

cryptoclastic posted:

I am interested in your background! What is it, and where did you get it?

It is one of the ios9 default live wallpapers. The pink one.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

xzzy posted:

Nope. Apple really, really wants you to use their cloud features.

If it helps and you ever accidentally tap that "show all music" link, you can re-disable it by tapping the category headers (like Artists/Songs, whatever you get at the top of your music list) and turn it back off. But that just brings back the header. :downs:
Well that's a dick move! I've never bothered with alternative music apps, but maybe now's the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minidust posted:

Well that's a dick move! I've never bothered with alternative music apps, but maybe now's the time.

In this case I think it's more incompetence than malice. Music.app gets shittier every time Apple changes it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Why not

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Kaizoku posted:

It is one of the ios9 default live wallpapers. The pink one.

Ahhh okay. Still on 8 so that's why I've never seen it!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

3G :dogbutton:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Where I took that screenshot is a dead zone, I went elsewhere to post (a toilet lmao)

carry on then fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 8, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Screen chat yeaaahhh

The app update badge is really bothering me since no apps need updated when I go into the App Store. :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I should post this with a trigger warning.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

You're supposed to occasionally read your email, you know. :v:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I don't want to be left out.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 8, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

illcendiary posted:

Ahh. So close but sorry, Safari belongs in Music's spot.

:agreed: using anything else on the dock is dumb as hell.

For the email or Peggle Blast?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

withak posted:

This is perfectly safe for work, unless you work at the Westboro Baptist Church or equivalent.

See I think so but some people's bosses might not appreciate two dudes kissin each other & tweakin each others nipples

TBH I use it because I like the colors on it :shobon:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For the email or Peggle Blast?

Well I was talking about the email. What's so bad about Peggle Blast (other than the freemiumness of it)? I beat it without spending a dime or connecting to facebook, so I feel pretty good about myself.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The boringest of home screens.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

nate fisher posted:

I am weird. I never put folders on my home screen (they are on the second screen), and I never use the bottom row (it just looks to crowed to me).

Also I discovered Vidgets last month, and I have slowly started moving icons to there.

Thanks for the Vidgets tip, definitely going to have to play around with this.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

No Taiko no Tatsujin+ on your first two screens? For shame man, for shame.

(I hope I remember you correctly from the iOS games thread as being pretty much the only goon I've ever seen actually talking about Taiko+ :ohdear:)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

The boringest of home screens.

No kidding. Watch, Apple Store and Starbucks on your home screen? That's so Apple of you.

p.s. Wallet is there too ... you know you can have your Starbucks thing in your Wallet?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pivo posted:

No kidding. Watch, Apple Store and Starbucks on your home screen? That's so Apple of you.

p.s. Wallet is there too ... you know you can have your Starbucks thing in your Wallet?

The card yes but you need the app for the new mobile ordering thing.

edit: And here I am justifying my loving home screen.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

and you get double reward points for using mobile ordering this month so it's worth doing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I get free fresh coffee at work, I can't relate.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

What have I unleashed? :magical:

Unrelated, I've notice some really buggy behavior in Settings running iOS 9; The top navigation bar likes to disappear or go blank and I'll be stuck in whatever settings page I happen to be in with no way of navigating back. Sometimes the title is for a different settings page than the one I'm on, too. I have to kill Settings via the app switcher and relaunch to fix it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

is anyone occasionally waking their phones to find the screen is completely unresponsive/can't swipe to unlock until its reset with home+wake held down?

6 here, on the latest version

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

edit: And here I am justifying my loving home screen.

Get on my level

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

Ahhh okay. Still on 8 so that's why I've never seen it!
pretty sure its in iOS8

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I had the coolest bug last night where my phone wouldn't charge, or at least it didn't give any visual/audio indication that it was charging. I was freaking out thinking that somehow the port was broken, because I tried two different chargers and two different cables, both of which worked fine to charge my iPad, but my phone just wasn't responding to being plugged in at all. A reboot of the phone cleared everything up, somehow. iOS 9 still has a lot of bugs to work out, which is a shame, since I thought the whole point of 9 was to stop trying to change everything so much and just make a more stable and consistent OS.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I spotlight search for everything.

Though I'm rethinking than now once more apps get context menus with 3D Touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Get on my level

For a second there I was confused and thought i posted this instead of you.

Came here to read about chipgate. Got home screens instead.