Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I totally remember when Shenmue I was released in 2006, barely five years after Shenmue II.

Sheesh, was a way to snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

so back to coffee chat

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah was it an attack by outraged backers?

or is lowtax spending all the money on his loneliness, eventually dooming us all to flee to.... :smith:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
around 36 hours 'til the Con :dance:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DOMDOM posted:

or is lowtax spending all the money on his loneliness, eventually dooming us all to flee to.... :smith:

that was my thought :tinfoil:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

DOMDOM posted:

My anonymous source says Lowtax never going to deliver a good gbs because he has no idea how.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dapper Dan posted:

False equivalency. A lot of those games were put on hold, scrapped and redone multiple times or were not in a full cycle because studios were working on previously released games

So, just like star citizen then?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Really though you figure if "they" were going to attack anything the doctor smart smart blog would be the first target.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

around 36 hours 'til the Con :dance:
But the Con started long ago :confused:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ash1138 posted:

But the Con started long ago :confused:

:vince:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Wafflz posted:

Also the creators didn't say that finishing a big game in 3 years was right in their wheelhouse or up their alley or rear end or whatever.

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

None were peddling concept .jpegs for literal thousands prior to release either, or insurance for said .jpegs.

Both are very true. And Star Citizen is totally reliant on those jpegs for cash while the other studios pictured actually had made other things and were profiting from them.

Potato Salad posted:

I like how someone can post this without realizing it exactly proves one of the points of detractors perfectly: This game is going to take two to five more years to develop.

Got enough money for that long? At a burn rate close to 20m per year....maybe? Will ship sales last long enough?

If SQ42 is sold in the interim.....maybe? There might be hope.

Its a Ponzi Scheme and there is no capital being generated by the company. They are increasingly relying on more and more people to funnel money into it. And like the CCP article that was posted, it doesn't matter how much it gets if the money being poured into it is being mismanaged. CCP had nearly a decade and couldn't put out a game. And they actually had a constant flow of income and didn't need to hunt for angel investors and sell jpegs.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

thatguy posted:

Beer why won't you stream with Derek?
On second thought he probably shouldn't. He's still got flex in the Brown Sea and /StarCitizen. Live streaming with Smart can and would be held against him in a Space Court of law.

I just hope you're here Saturday, Beer.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
That article posted a few pages ago nailed it; pissing through producers is a very bad sign. If there is to be a game, Erin Roberts is likely the last hope.

I am interested to see the sq42 reveal this weekend. Will they show game, or an elaborately produced smoke & mirrors demo?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Finally. Bout drat time Lowtax.

Took almost 9 days but I finally got an unsigned reply.

quote:

Hi there,
Thank you for your request and sorry to get to this ticket late.
To confirm you would like a $1032 refund and to have your account closed?
When you reply if you can cite any press articles or otherwise that prompted this request - that would be greatly appreciated for our records.
We look forward to hearing back.
Best,
CIG Customer Service Team

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wulfling posted:

You spent just over 1 / 20th of a coffee machine on the game?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reposting for the reanimated forums

Prop Wash posted:

Coffee talk: I got a little hand grinder recently and man grinding the beans makes a noticeable difference, if the grind is all fresh and delicious. Plus hand grinding is sort of a relaxing thing to do. Anyway, coffee is good, this game doesn't exist, probably go ahead and ban the latest seraph incarnation

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

trucutru posted:

I totally remember when Shenmue I was released in 2006, barely five years after Shenmue II.

You mean like Half Life, which somehow was in production 5 years after it was released.

Half-Life 2 did take 5 years to develop, but it also took $40 million dollars to develop a new engine and implement it into the game. A better idea for that graph would be to have a ratio of budget dollars to years in development. I would guess that SC's $30 million dollars a year with nothing to show suddenly starts looking pretty bad.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I drank some coffee recently

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wulfling posted:

Please link this thread as your reason for requesting a refund

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Half life 2 was an enjoyable romp and a harsh look at life in modern Poland.
I felt the walking bits were good and also how you could throw litter at policemen, the trains were nice and also it was grey.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

What's more likely to come out, Star Citizen or Half-Life 3? :smuggo:

My bet's still on half life 3.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Wulfling posted:

Haha, they're still trying to find stuff against the Escapist. I'd be almost tempted to mention them just to see what happens.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Diabolo III? lol

Shenmue came out in like 2000, not 2006. Morrowind came out in 2002, not 2004.

Also, it says 'Half-life' instead of 'Half-Life 2'.

Where the hell did this idiot get this graph?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If they could somehow combine Half Life 2 with Star Citizen you'd have Half Life 2

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

My money is on the forums comitting seppuku rather than continue to have seraph84 continue to post.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Star Citizen's budget is only 4,500 coffee machines, so it's actually kind of amazing what they've been able to produce imo.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Oh man did you guys see that totally not scripted explosion of the constellation from the inside?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

jaegerx posted:

Oh man did you guys see that totally not scripted explosion of the constellation from the inside?
How dare you accuse Chris Roberts of using pre-rendered fakery to demonstrate the state of the game!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dapper Dan posted:

False equivalency. A lot of those games were put on hold, scrapped and redone multiple times or were not in a full cycle because studios were working on previously released games

They're also comparing SC without the year of development done before the KS (which Chris himself uses to justify a two year delivery timeframe) to other games like SWTOR where the first year of development was a bunch of guys writing lore.

G0RF posted:

On second thought he probably shouldn't. He's still got flex in the Brown Sea and /StarCitizen. Live streaming with Smart can and would be held against him in a Space Court of law.

I just hope you're here Saturday, Beer.

Depends on some family stuff.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Wulfling posted:

Link this thread so they have to spend backer money to :10bux: if they haven't already.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Onmi posted:

"I just got back my money from those scam artists... welp time to give it to the morally bankrupts idiots"

T.G. Xarbala posted:

has the death thread taught you nothing

Tippis posted:

Yeah. At least blow it on FFG X-Wing or something.

:siren: I never give GW my money :siren:

I buy all my hams at swap meets or eBay.

However I'm going to grab Exo Lords to proxy as 30k thousand sons, and maybe give a few $ for the Dropfleet Commander KS. Unlike SC they already have the game done.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

GW is lovely but warhams actually exists so there's a distinct advantage there

otoh if anyone wants to give me their refunds so I can visit my fiancee for Christmas that'd be cool :unsmith:

(no just kidding sperging is more important, that isn't sarcasm, if you gave us the money we'd spend it on videogames and warhams)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LCL-Dead posted:

Fried egg.

This is a must have for the perfect burger

Gross.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Its good, but not required.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dapper Dan posted:

And like the CCP article that was posted, it doesn't matter how much it gets if the money being poured into it is being mismanaged. CCP had nearly a decade and couldn't put out a game. And they actually had a constant flow of income and didn't need to hunt for angel investors and sell jpegs.

Sorta, but actually designing World of Darkness to function without a set of humans ruling how some things work -- Wish for example -- is a far greater challenge than building a space simulator where each independent element is far more easily defined in terms of an actor-agent simulation. It's easy to quickly imagine a space sim combining Freelancer, EvE online, Travian, Farmville, etc. What would WoD look like? How would you even start to break down turns in an MMO without making it a turn-based strategy board game? You have to cut into and remove elements of the WoD larping experience early and deep. If nobody is willing to make that call because "It doesn't feel like WoD," then yeah, you end up with no game after a decade.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

:siren: I never give GW my money :siren:

I buy all my hams at swap meets or eBay.

However I'm going to grab Exo Lords to proxy as 30k thousand sons, and maybe give a few $ for the Dropfleet Commander KS. Unlike SC they already have the game done.

I'm okay with "warhams" becoming a generic term for giving anybody but GW money to play wargames.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CCP could have made a WoW-like spellslinging / target-attacking MMO with WoD at the outset and figured out poo poo from there. "Close enough for now" should be the mantra. Start with what you know, build it into what you want. Star Citizen should be doing this, yet here we are.

Edit: it's not about time investment, it's about learning how your own game works once its done, incrementally.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zeike posted:

Its good, but not required.

Fried egg on a sandwich of any kind is gross tbh.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"You have been put on probation until 2025-10-09 02:28. You can no longer post on the community forums and public chat channels.

You have been placed on probation indefinitely for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11, in particular posting so as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think. Note that this will not affect your access to the game itself."

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Have you gotten your refund yet? If not, what is stopping you?

• Locked thread