Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Throbbing blob posted:

Ahem, let me sort of contribute to the thread again. :siren:Another long-winded post incoming!:siren:

Thanks for putting in the effort with these, keep them coming!

I'm just reading Dreadnaught so I'm fairly surprised to see what a ship of the line looked like in 1850. I didn't realize how far naval tech went in the late 19th century, drat!

I feel bad putting a lump of plastic up after all those gorgeous wood ships, but I'm ~nearly~ up to putting some paint on this drat Tirpitz model. I feel like I've put on a thousand bits of photo etch, but there's really not that many. Next step in trying to fit the deck on well and then it's painting time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm glad you guys still like the posts and pics. I'm not a modeller myself, although I do paint for wargames, so I'm glad I can contribute with something.

Regardig questions and comments:

Unfortunately, the museum really lacks models of people on the ships. It's a common question though, so I don't know why nobody has thought of it. But yeah, wooden ships were absolutely packed with people, and it would have been a very unpleasant experience serving aboard one. Dannebrog was 58.3 metres long and 16 metres wide (191' long and 52' wide) which is really not very large at all. HMS Victory was a little bit smaller, but had a crew of 850! The crowded conditions and daily ration of 2 litres of beer (half a gallon) plus rum, sparked some heated debates. Considering everybody was carrying a knife, discipline had to be harsh to discourage frequent stabbings. The officers usually kept all the sailors working as often as they could, to keep the crew occupied. An occupied crew = less time for stabbing!

Thanks for the pic of Victory with the little model men on it. Doesn't look too crowded, but I'm sure that's because the modeller didn't have the time to do enough little sailing men. Or maybe because it's the forecastle, I don't know.

The Locator posted:

Yet another fantastic post of great models.

I'm not sure about those rope coils though, that seems like a pretty strange way to arrange them, and I've never seen a picture with coils done like that, nor were the coils on any of the ships in San Diego like that. It's certainly an impressive amount of tiny coils though!

I wonder if the modeler did them like that just so that people could see the details of the belaying points rather than just piles of ropes?

Thanks! Interesting. I'll have to ask the curator about the coils. I don't know how much he knows about details like the correct stowing of rope coils aboard old ships, but he might.

Edit: Btw, in my post about Holmen, I wrote that the mast crane was for dismantling the top masts of ships. I was wrong. It was actually for the lower masts since they are the heaviest.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 6, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Throbbing blob posted:

I'm glad you guys still like the posts and pics. I'm not a modeller myself, although I do paint for wargames, so I'm glad I can contribute with something.

Absolutely keep them coming!

Throbbing blob posted:

Thanks! Interesting. I'll have to ask the curator about the coils. I don't know how much he knows about details like the correct stowing of rope coils aboard old ships, but he might.

I took a bunch of pictures while I was in San Diego on the HMS Surprise to use as modeling references, and here are some of the rope coils in different places:

Around the base of the fore-mast.

Along the side rail, fore-mast rigging belaying points.

Bow cleats.

One of the cool things about getting to sail along on 4 different tall ships when I was there, was watching how they handled the ropes. While a particular line was in use, it obviously couldn't be coiled up like this, and rope would be all over the place as they hauled the lines. As soon as the line was secured, a crewman would grab the rope and make the loose end into a rough coil and toss it on the deck. After all the sails were properly set, then all the crew would go and grab the rough coils off the deck, and hook them to belaying pins or cleats like is shown in the pictures. So there were certainly coils of rope on the deck at different points, but never all of them, only the ones that were actively being worked, otherwise all the ropes on the deck would rapidly become a hazard and get tangled up, which could be disastrous on a sailing ship.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Long shot, but has anyone heard any news about Bandai's new Star Wars models since they were announced last year?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I got the Hi-Mock since I wasn't able to participate in crap-tank. I have ideas.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Van Dis posted:

Long shot, but has anyone heard any news about Bandai's new Star Wars models since they were announced last year?

We've talked about them a bit in the Gundam thread, they're really good. Problem is, all of the import sites that were selling them got the smackdown from Disney so they might be harder to find outside of Japan now.

edit: they're still all over e-bay. I'd go for it if you want one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Van Dis posted:

The character models have the same degree of polycap joints and engineering as most HG kits, so they're fantastic. I'm quite fond of my R2-D2/R5-D4 two-pack and C-3PO.

Swagger Dagger posted:

We've talked about them a bit in the Gundam thread, they're really good. Problem is, all of the import sites that were selling them got the smackdown from Disney so they might be harder to find outside of Japan now.

To clarify on this; Revell pitched a fit at Disney because Bandai's Star Wars models were selling and theirs weren't :qq:.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Are the banned Bandai models just characters or ships too? I am not interested in characters, but I would love to do an X-Wing. In fact, I think my very first model was an X-Wing purchased at the gift shop from the Star Wars ride at Disneyland in the early 90s. I know I was far too young to ever complete the model, and I think it required glue so it was far too advanced for my first model. Is this enough information to tell me what brand my first model was?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are the banned Bandai models just characters or ships too? I am not interested in characters, but I would love to do an X-Wing. In fact, I think my very first model was an X-Wing purchased at the gift shop from the Star Wars ride at Disneyland in the early 90s. I know I was far too young to ever complete the model, and I think it required glue so it was far too advanced for my first model. Is this enough information to tell me what brand my first model was?

Bandai's line does ships, vehicles, and characters (there's even an AT-ST out, and Slave One coming). The ships are pretty sticker-heavy, but they also come with water-transfers as well as regular stickers if those are your thing.

The real prize of the line's probably gonna be the obscenely large 1/1700 Imperial Star Destroyer they showed off at a model show. :allears:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Swagger Dagger posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The character models have the same degree of polycap joints and engineering as most HG kits, so they're fantastic. I'm quite fond of my R2-D2/R5-D4 two-pack and C-3PO.
Thanks, y'all. Does that mean that Bandai doesn't sell these kits in the U.S.? I was hoping for a B-Wing, but it doesn't look like they make one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's still pretty cheap to buy straight from Japan though. Hobbylink Japan is always pretty cheap, and they don't gouge on shipping as well (I'm looking at you, North American hobby stores).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Van Dis posted:

Thanks, y'all. Does that mean that Bandai doesn't sell these kits in the U.S.? I was hoping for a B-Wing, but it doesn't look like they make one.

Give'em time, and you'll probably get one. This is the page on the Bandai website (in Japanese) with all the upcoming Star Wars releases. Most of the upcoming stuff at the moment is from the new movie though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Van Dis posted:

They don't sell them in the US, no.

If I look at the usual Gunpla sellers on Amazon UK, a fair few of them have got the Star Wars kits, so you should check Amazon.com to see if you can find any - Revell only pitched a fit at the big importers (HLJ and Hobbysearch), they can't do anything about Japanese model stores selling via Amazon.

The B-wing doesn't have a model yet; they've not even released the A-wing, so I honestly don't expect it to get a kit until this time next year, but they're going to eventually do all the iconic stuff. I got a Y-wing just before HLJ/Hobbysearch had to stop and I'm waiting for the Interceptor and A-wing.

I've not touched the Y-wing yet, though, mostly because I have a massive kit backlog and because all of the greebly piping on the main body is actually modelled as individual pieces you need to snapfit on. :negative:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Airfix Ju-88 build is super frustrating. Bad fit, heaps of flash, semi-complere instructions, but I'm learning a lot about filling and sanding so I guess it's not all bad.

Then I come to tonight. Fuselage assembled, filled, and sanded. Wings assembled and ready to be puttied. Then I go to put the horizontal tail together and... it's missing the bottom piece of one side. gently caress.

So I've emailed airfix. Hope they can help.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They'll sort it out for you. First time I built their Scorpion/Scimitar kit I totally hosed up basically everything below the hull top, and they sent me nearly the whole drat kit again.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
First attempt at weathering windshields with masking tape and pigment powders. The kit is an Italeri 1/48 Opel Blitz that I built half a year ago, and never got around to paint up. Not perfect, but very fun!

Speaking of which, is there anyone who has a good recommendation for a nice book about painting tanks/vehicles, or about weathering in general? I feel like I'm just improvising stuff up as I go. Even if that is fun, I would love to get a good basic primer to really get the basics down correctly.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

First attempt at weathering windshields with masking tape and pigment powders. The kit is an Italeri 1/48 Opel Blitz that I built half a year ago, and never got around to paint up. Not perfect, but very fun!

Speaking of which, is there anyone who has a good recommendation for a nice book about painting tanks/vehicles, or about weathering in general? I feel like I'm just improvising stuff up as I go. Even if that is fun, I would love to get a good basic primer to really get the basics down correctly.

Looking really nice I love seeing your stuff come on.

Not a book but I found this very interesting:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mig-Productions-Vol-1-Pigments-MIGFAQDVD1/dp/B0088X50OM

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Throbbing blob posted:

Edit: Sorry about the reflections. I'm really trying to get the angle of least reflection, but it's kinda hard to juggle both the object I want to snap, and try to minimise reflection. Enjoy my terrible cheap shirt.

Ever try a polarized lens?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

A file comparison!

I posted this in the miniatures thread because a guy there was asking about files.

The difference between the 'hobby' files you can purchase in sets at hobby stores (or online), and really good files (in this case Vallorbe brand Swiss precision files).

Three 'hobby' rat-tail files on top. The two files on the bottom are different cuts of Vallorbe rat-tail files.

Tools - sometimes you really do get what you pay for!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Are they... rusted?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ka0 posted:

Are they... rusted?

No? Not sure which ones you are asking about, but none of them are rusted. The bottom two were recently cleaned, which is done with a soft brass brush, so they may have a bit of a brass sheen to them. Maybe that's what you are seeing, is just the difference in color?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Locator posted:

No? Not sure which ones you are asking about, but none of them are rusted. The bottom two were recently cleaned, which is done with a soft brass brush, so they may have a bit of a brass sheen to them. Maybe that's what you are seeing, is just the difference in color?

They all have a sort of reddish color in the picture, so they all look kinda rusted. That honestly might just be because they're being used for wood, since I remember a lot of the files in our wood shop looking similar.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Rusty files are necessarily a bad thing. If you have larger bastard cut files and rasps, if you don't want to professionally sharpen them, people recommend leaving them in the rain to rust, as the rust gives the teeth sharp edges again.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Phfft, I got a $6 set from the hardware store the other week, and the quality is .. something!

(I threw out the worst half. This is the best of them.)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sanguine posted:

Phfft, I got a $6 set from the hardware store the other week, and the quality is .. something!

(I threw out the worst half. This is the best of them.)

I do believe at $6 you spent too much. It looks like they're made out of green stuff.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Spotted this on Kotaku this morning:

More

:perfect:

Crossposting from the gunpla thread.
The Hi-Mock group build has barely begun and I think goons have already lost.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Crossposting from the gunpla thread.
The Hi-Mock group build has barely begun and I think goons have already lost.

Just a heads up, I'm staring my Himock this weekend, I plan to have the scratch-build ready and then onto painting in less than 2 weeks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Silly me, I thought this was for November. Cheaters all starting early while I finish my boat. :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I use Airfix's contact form to ask about a missing part, effectively just saying "Hi, I recently bought kit number # and part number $ is missing, is there any way to get a replacement for it?" and less than 48 hours later they email me saying "yeah, we've sent you a replacement, hope it arrives soon".

No questions asked, they just ship me a new bit. To Australia. For free.

Completely amazing customer service.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Did you order the back plate for the IS-3?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nah, the bottom half of one side of the horizontal tail for my Ju-88 was missing.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Did you order the back plate for the IS-3?

"Hi! I bought an IS-3 kit, but instead the box contains a bunch of warped plastic chunks. Can you send a replacement?"

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I use Airfix's contact form to ask about a missing part, effectively just saying "Hi, I recently bought kit number # and part number $ is missing, is there any way to get a replacement for it?" and less than 48 hours later they email me saying "yeah, we've sent you a replacement, hope it arrives soon".

It's great when model companies actually back their products. I was going through all the part sheets for my next project, and came across a part that the laser mis-cut:

That end with the red square should look just like the other end.

I submitted the online form for Model Expo letting them know. They never bothered to send me an email or anything (they just changed computer systems and their email has been all kinds of screwed up since then, so maybe they did send the email and I'll get it 3 months from now or something), but I logged into my account today, and there was a 'misc. parts' order shipped to me yesterday, so I guess they are sending me a new one. Yay.

lilljonas posted:

"Hi! I bought an IS-3 kit, but instead the box contains a bunch of warped plastic chunks. Can you send a replacement?"

Or at least send me a gun barrel that resembles a gun barrel! Haha..

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You don't replace craptank's parts, you merely fill in the gaps with ballast and epoxy and good intentions. Just like your Comrades once did.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Locator posted:

Silly me, I thought this was for November. Cheaters all starting early while I finish my boat. :v:

I thought we weren't starting until November either. I need to go out and buy paint and some tools since I couldn't bring any of my stuff to Japan with me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I thought we weren't starting until November either. I need to go out and buy paint and some tools since I couldn't bring any of my stuff to Japan with me.

Welcome to the addiction that is Gunpla.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We aren't starting until November officially, but I don't think anyone cares if you blow your load early and make a nice kit. Nobody says you actually have to build it at the same time as the rest of us.

AlphaDog posted:

Told you. They're spectaclar for it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Locator posted:

I was cheating before everyone settled on the Hi-Mock - I assembled and primed mine over the summer.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Cthulu Carl posted:

I was cheating before everyone settled on the Hi-Mock - I assembled and primed mine over the summer.

I assembled and primed mine in an afternoon. What the hell were you doing?

(Got stuff still to do, though. I have a plan.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

It appears that you forgot to make holes in the muzzle brake, please send a drill press so that I can correct this mistake.