Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

syntaxfunction posted:

I like Martinis and Manhattans but I can't seem to get a grip on Aviations. I used the IBA specified method because I haven't got any Creme de Violette/Yvette. I think it's the Maraschino I'm not too fond of. And now I have a huge bottle of it. Any suggestions for cocktails to ease me into Maraschino when I get my stuff back? I took my entire collection to a friend's place for a cocktail night and reportedly it's all still fairly there minus a couple things I'm not worried about or can easily replace (Vodka, Irish cream, Creme de Menthe, etc).

last word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I really want to try a Last Word and other Chartreuse cocktails but the green one runs $75 here. Even the yellow, if you can find it, goes for $60. Is it really that great? I'm willing to shell out for it once I restock my essentials, but I'm just iffy on blowing $75 on something I may or may not like. Unfortunately there's no good bars near me to try it first either.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
It's an incredibly well balanced cocktail. I really only make a handful of cocktails these days (old fashioned, manhattan, sazerac, sidecar, and last word) and when I'm wanting a non-whiskey based one, it's usually what i grab.

i like green chartreuse quite a bit; there's a number of good cocktails (a billion gin-based ones, and the carthusian sazerac is pretty good too). I definitely find green chartreuse to be more versatile than the luxardo maraschino liqueur; i really only use that in last words.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You can sometimes find half bottles of Chartreuse that are good for trying out. Also, for the maraschino, try making improved Old Fashioneds. It's basically just adding a couple drops of absinthe and like a quarter ounce of maraschino to your regular Old Fashioned. It's usually stirred and served up, but rocks would be fine too. Works best with Genever, but brandy is also a nice choice.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Did a trip to the Bay Area and picked up some good stuff:
1/2 bottle Green Chartreuse
1/2 bottle Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
Fernet-Branca
Vida Mezcal
Orange Blossom Water
Angostura Orange Bitters (wanted to compare w Regan's)

Y'all ain't kidding, the Chartreuse is drat expensive. I was surprised to see Fernet-Branca on mainstream bar menus, I don't see that on the east coast.

The Bamboo Hut in North Beach San Francisco had some really good drinks. Got wrecked on a Zombie at the end of an already heavy night. Also Navy Grog and one I forgot that came in a bowl.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You made some excellent choices. And yeah, Fernet is just what we drink out here. It's wonderful.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Yeah but there's no substitute for Chartreuse.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

$70 is super expensive, that's a shame because Chartreuse is awesome. It has a earned a lifetime spot in my bar. $28 for a bottle of Verte where I live.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

zmcnulty posted:

$70 is super expensive, that's a shame because Chartreuse is awesome. It has a earned a lifetime spot in my bar. $28 for a bottle of Verte where I live.

Where do you live!!! Green and yellow are both $60 here in NC, around $64 if I'm buying for the bar & paying the associated taxes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I really want to try a Last Word and other Chartreuse cocktails but the green one runs $75 here. Even the yellow, if you can find it, goes for $60. Is it really that great? I'm willing to shell out for it once I restock my essentials, but I'm just iffy on blowing $75 on something I may or may not like. Unfortunately there's no good bars near me to try it first either.

If you end up liking it then that's a bummer but on the plus side you're generally gonna use like 1/4-1/2oz of it in a single drink so that bottle will last you a very long time. It's very high proof with intense flavor

Peacheshead
Oct 21, 2010

Kenning posted:

You made some excellent choices. And yeah, Fernet is just what we drink out here. It's wonderful.

I like fernet a lot, but the only thing I know to do with it (and the only way I've seen it used) is in a fernet buck. Any tips on other drinks?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Comb Your Beard posted:

I was surprised to see Fernet-Branca on mainstream bar menus, I don't see that on the east coast.

Where the hell do you live? I see it all over cocktail lists in Richmond, DC, and Atlanta. Several bars in Richmond offer shots of Fernet for pretty cheap.

Peacheshead posted:

I like fernet a lot, but the only thing I know to do with it (and the only way I've seen it used) is in a fernet buck. Any tips on other drinks?

I like making Manhattans with Fernet instead of whiskey. I'd imagine it'd make for a pretty interesting Sazerac, too.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Peacheshead posted:

I really like the industry sour. Equal parts fernet, lime juice, and simple syrup.

edit: and chartreuse. How could I forget

Horn fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 9, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

poop dood posted:

Where the hell do you live? I see it all over cocktail lists in Richmond, DC, and Atlanta. Several bars in Richmond offer shots of Fernet for pretty cheap.

I like making Manhattans with Fernet instead of whiskey. I'd imagine it'd make for a pretty interesting Sazerac, too.

Odd... I've heard of making Manhattans subbing bitters with Fernet, but you're subbing whiskey for Fernet? I'd think that would completely overwhelm the vermouth. What vermouth (other ingredients) are you using to balance out the bitterness from the Fernet?

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I had a great drink this week at Eventide in Portland, ME

Kentucky Cyclist
1.5 bourbon
1.5 bonal
.5 green chartreuse
.5 yellow chartreuse
2 dash orange bitters
Stir serve up with orange peel

A tiny bit on the sweet side, but went great with some raw seafood apps. Not usually what I think of pairing whiskey with. It was really nice.

I am liking every cocktail I've had with bonal in it.

Also, my local liquor store was mistakenly sent a case of yellow chartreuse instead of green so I finally picked up a bottle and I can make these at home.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay the Liberia startup has *some* money now, so we don't have to live on 75-cent local gin, but we're still not stable enough that the boss won't be annoyed if I bring back a $50 bottle of tequila from a grocery run. So I'm in a compromise middle area, so stand by for a report on Indian-made "Napoleon D'Or" brandy I bought for $6.50 from a local Lebanese-run grocery.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eagerly awaiting!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

poop dood posted:

DC and I've been to Richmond many times. Now that you've said that I'll probably notice it everywhere. Wikipedia has some nice citations on its popularity in San Francisco:
http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/the-myth-of-fernet/Content?oid=2158526
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/11/the-bitter-beginning/307041/

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The Toronto Cocktail is nice too. Basically a rye old fashioned with a splash of fernet. 2 oz rye, .25 oz ea fernet and simple, 2 dashes angostura. Up the fernet a bit and it's still delicious.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Peacheshead posted:

someone tonight made me a drink with fernet, sweet vermouth, lemon juice, and ginger beer served in a collins and it was really tasty

edit: ginger beer was glenheims and I think the vermouth used was dolin rouge??

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

2DCAT posted:

Odd... I've heard of making Manhattans subbing bitters with Fernet, but you're subbing whiskey for Fernet? I'd think that would completely overwhelm the vermouth. What vermouth (other ingredients) are you using to balance out the bitterness from the Fernet?

Noilly-Prat sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters. You're right that it is pretty Fernetty, but I like it that way. And to be fair, I ease back on the standard ratio, using maybe 1.5oz Fernet instead of 2oz.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Anyone in this thread tried Malört? Local wormwood spirit in Chicago. Most people treat it like a joke, but I un-ironically enjoy it, and just wanted to know if I'm insane.

Somewhat tangentially related, as it is rather bitter.

Speaking of fernet, if I was going to pick up a bottle from my local to try, what's a good middle of the road bottle to pick up that should be readily available?

I'm in Dallas TX if that matters.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I didn't realize Malort was wormwood based, is it sort of like a really bitter absinthe then?

As for Fernet, when people say Fernet, 99% of the time they mean Fernet Branca, 0.9% it is maybe Branca Menta, remaining 0.1% it is actually some other Fernet. So if you mean Fernet, go buy Fernet Branca. If you meant something more middle of the road in terms of amaro, you have a lot more options. Cynar, Amaro Nonino, or Averna are solid choices.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

slut chan posted:

Anyone in this thread tried Malört? Local wormwood spirit in Chicago. Most people treat it like a joke, but I un-ironically enjoy it, and just wanted to know if I'm insane.

I had a really great Malort drink at Sainte X in DC, lemme take a look at my camera files to see the menu description I took a snap of. I'm pretty sure it was with grapefruit and I want to say a lighter Belgian beer, but I don't want to confuse it with the really tasty drink mixed with Byrrh aperitif I also had that night. Man I had some great drinks on 14th St that night, I miss that. Liberia's cocktail culture is emphatically lacking.

I do keep running across weird offering at shops though, and getting ever closer to having enough budget to get some good stuff. What's the closest analogue to Gammel Dansk that I might already know? Multiple groceries carry it here for some reason.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

The Hebug posted:

I didn't realize Malort was wormwood based, is it sort of like a really bitter absinthe then?

Eh, not really. I think chartreuse is the closest comparison I can give flavorwise for malort. Absinthe has a strong anise flavor but wormwood technically speaking is mostly a bitter and herbal flavor, and absinthe's flavor comes more from anise family herbs added in. Malort's just a very strong, dank herbal flavor. The guys behind the Violet Hour in chicago at Letherbee Distillery also produce a more... er... artisinal (palatable) version called Besk. That's much more close to a chartreuse type of flavor. Jeppsens is like green chartreuse and sewer water, equal parts.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I do keep running across weird offering at shops though, and getting ever closer to having enough budget to get some good stuff. What's the closest analogue to Gammel Dansk that I might already know? Multiple groceries carry it here for some reason.

I've never heard of this but looking into it, it seems to be a sort of amaro. As for a comparable flavor, who knows. But if you want to give it a shot then try it in any kind of drink that calls for amaro and see how it fares. Maybe that Toronto mentioned up the page, or a manhattan variation. But buying random amaro you haven't ever heard of is very deep down the cocktail rabbithole. I advise against it for your wallet and sanity's sake.

swimming anime fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 11, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
There are some interesting bitter liquors floating around Liberia, so I do intend to sample several of them. There's a Galician brand called Nuevas Rias that I intend to try out, a few Italian ones I've never heard of, and for $7 there's a brand of bitter aperitif popular in Ghana called Joy Dadi that I'll definitely be trying. Campari and Aperol are pricey here, so I want to experiment.

There's a triple sec called Orange Duck that I can't find anything about online other than just inventory listings, may try that one out.

I'm kind of in a sticky place since I'm in charge of food for the company HQ staff, and while they love me as a cook and mixologist, the other folks don't have very refined drinking palates so it's hard to get them to give me extra funds to get decent liquor instead of just what's cheapest. I may take the angle of pointing out that we entertain clients and business partners, and at least some of those folks are the types that have strong opinions as to how Emirates Airlines has the absolute best executive lounge at Heathrow, are about to go to Rio for Carnival, etc so we want to be able to roll in style for those kind of colleagues.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 11, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can anyone direct me to some videos showing how to get nice citrus peels? I finally found a combination zester/scorer, but because it has two channel-cutters on the end of the handle of the zester, I have a hard time getting good leverage without risking my fingertips. Maybe I just need more practice, but anyway...even at the best of times, I can only get "standard" thin, 3-inch long strips of citrus peel. I have no idea how to get the nice wide, long, spiraled citrus twists I see in blog posts about cocktails.

It's amazing how even in the Internet age it can be drat near impossible to find information on something if you know it exists but don't know exactly what it's called. I only found my current tool after asking around at several different overpriced kitchen gadget stores where the employees looked at me like I was a crazy person for wanting a tool that cuts twists from citrus fruit.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 12, 2015

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Honestly those thin twists are mostly ornamental. Just use a sharp paring knife and get a nice thick twist if you actually want any significant amount of flavor.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I prefer a vegetable peeler for twists.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Skip the citrus peel garnish and make peel syrup with the Oleo-Saccharum method.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Hebug posted:

Honestly those thin twists are mostly ornamental.
Well, yes, that's my goal.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Skip the citrus peel garnish and make peel syrup with the Oleo-Saccharum method.
No, I'm making garnishes. If I just wanted a lot of citrus oil, I'd muddle large slices of peel or, in the long term, make my own infusion or bitters.

Edit: A few weeks ago I got a Negroni with a strip of candied orange peel. I liked it so much I've been thinking about making my own.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 12, 2015

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I use a y-peeler. It takes practice. I dunno why you'd make a syrup, that's entirely different.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

swimming anime posted:

Eh, not really. I think chartreuse is the closest comparison I can give flavorwise for malort. Absinthe has a strong anise flavor but wormwood technically speaking is mostly a bitter and herbal flavor, and absinthe's flavor comes more from anise family herbs added in. Malort's just a very strong, dank herbal flavor. The guys behind the Violet Hour in chicago at Letherbee Distillery also produce a more... er... artisinal (palatable) version called Besk. That's much more close to a chartreuse type of flavor. Jeppsens is like green chartreuse and sewer water, equal parts.

Jeppsen's is like parsley stems and grapefruit pith, except less pleasant.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

The Maestro posted:

I use a y-peeler. It takes practice. I dunno why you'd make a syrup, that's entirely different.

Y peeler is key. I havent personally used this but give it a shot http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Original-4-Inch-Peeler/dp/B000H7O3QS (you might be able to find it slightly cheaper elsewhere online) But i'll tell you as a working bartender 9 out of 10 types of peelers I've used have just sucked rear end, not to mention 9 out of 10 pieces of fruit whether its fruit thats old and mushy or fruit that has a thin crappy peel. Often the fruit that is best for twists is the worst for juice because it'll have thick skin. So my point being don't feel too bad about having a hard time, we're pulling our hair out in bars every day to get nice looking ones. Another key technique is peel diagonally/spiral across the fruit, especially for lemon twists. A lemon just isnt long enough to get a good looking twist, but doing total horizontal means you get one twist per fruit. Also a helpful thing for looks that lots of bars are doing nowadays is trimming the edges to make a more or less rectangular twist. This can help with the lovely peeler when you get totally crapped out wavy edges.

tynam
May 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Can anyone direct me to some videos showing how to get nice citrus peels? I finally found a combination zester/scorer, but because it has two channel-cutters on the end of the handle of the zester, I have a hard time getting good leverage without risking my fingertips. Maybe I just need more practice, but anyway...even at the best of times, I can only get "standard" thin, 3-inch long strips of citrus peel. I have no idea how to get the nice wide, long, spiraled citrus twists I see in blog posts about cocktails.

Something like this? I've never done it myself but it looks really easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmjILRLOkbk

Unless you're working a really busy bar, I recommend just practicing with a paring knife as well. As long as you have a sharp paring knife, just youtube fruit peeling techniques (any which involve a choke grip and turning the fruit) and you can make any kind of peel you want exactly how you want it. Despite having learned from a trained chef, it's pretty much 1% knowledge and 99% practice.

tynam
May 14, 2007
I've also just tried Smith and Cross rum for the first time, and holy poo poo. It's got the peat and smoke of an Islay scotch, with a hint of sweetness and bitterness. Apparently it was the bartender's first time trying it too, and we were both baffled as to how to use it in a cocktail. Ended up having it neat, then as an old fashioned. The bitters really eased up on the peat and made it much smoother, but it's one hellofa funky rum. If someone gave me a shot of it blind, I'd probably ask what kind of scotch it was.

Does anyone (Kenning?) have any suggestions on cocktails with this rum? At this point all I can think of is subbing it for scotch for any scotch cocktail, or just sipping it neat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Old fashioned is the one he usually recommends (there's a rum thread!), yeah.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551855

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

It's pretty baller in a Negroni. Equal parts Smith & Cross, Carpano Antica, Campari, orange twist aka Kingston Negroni.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Old Cuban.

Or with mezcal and juiced bell peppers, pinch of smoked salt, Worcestershire and lime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

tynam posted:

I've also just tried Smith and Cross rum for the first time, and holy poo poo. It's got the peat and smoke of an Islay scotch, with a hint of sweetness and bitterness. Apparently it was the bartender's first time trying it too, and we were both baffled as to how to use it in a cocktail. Ended up having it neat, then as an old fashioned. The bitters really eased up on the peat and made it much smoother, but it's one hellofa funky rum. If someone gave me a shot of it blind, I'd probably ask what kind of scotch it was.

Does anyone (Kenning?) have any suggestions on cocktails with this rum? At this point all I can think of is subbing it for scotch for any scotch cocktail, or just sipping it neat.

If you liked smith and cross definitely check out the Ed Hamilton Jamaican Rum (http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1145702) and St Lucia rum (http://www.drinkupny.com/Ministry-of-Rum-Collection-5-Year-Old-Rum-p/s0983.htm) and join the Cult of Rum. It's the greatest spirit in the world. As far as cocktails yes, it's great in stirred drinks, but the great thing about rum is blending. Half an ounce of smith and cross mixed into another rum will still bring out the Funk but keep it within the realm of sanity. If you dont care about sanity then go tiki. A zombie with 1.5 Smith and Cross, 1.5 Ron De Barillito 3 star, .5 Ed Hamilton 151 as the base?