Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Never not remind people that shankerz is legitimately a terrible person IRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

madcow posted:

They already stated in an interview a couple days ago or so, you know the same one that said they signed a 5 year lease for an office in Frankfurt that the refund requests were around 1300 at that time.

I can't believe that you're blindly believing something in the media, what a loving sheep.

was the irony strong enough? I heard it's hard to get that across in text form.

Also, have they ever said why they need offices in like 5 different cities to not make one game?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So hey Beer since you're banned you should totally have that show with Derek Smart.

lmao at Ben though, the dude is going to be CRUSHED when the realization that Star Citizen doesn't exist and Chris Roberts is a fraud hits. You think he'll go with the break-down route or get real angry at Roberts?

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

If they could somehow combine Half Life 2 with Star Citizen you'd have Half Life 2

LOLZ. Funniest post ITT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup. That was probably it.

WTF? It's too late to get a "Free the Beer" T-shirt made for the CON. poo poo. Timing.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"You have been put on probation until 2025-10-09 02:28. You can no longer post on the community forums and public chat channels.

You have been placed on probation indefinitely for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11, in particular posting so as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think. Note that this will not affect your access to the game itself."

Welp.

Look at it this way, at least when you can post on the forums again the game might be out.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Look at it this way, at least when you can post on the forums again the game might be out.

I think we need at least two or three more people to make this same joke.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Citizen Con is coming guys!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

lmao at Ben though, the dude is going to be CRUSHED when the realization that Star Citizen doesn't exist and Chris Roberts is a fraud hits. You think he'll go with the break-down route or get real angry at Roberts?

Ben will eat Croberts and then die of the resulting heart attack that consuming all that coke will give him.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Zeike posted:

LOL I remember some dude declaring war(in SC) on the forums.

He was all like "We formally declare war on Goonrathi"

that was hilarious

Declare war in a non-game.

This the best game ever.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I can't believe that you're blindly believing something in the media, what a loving sheep.

was the irony strong enough? I heard it's hard to get that across in text form.

Also, have they ever said why they need offices in like 5 different cities to not make one game?

I read that four of the five offices are really fronts meant to help CR launder the backer money and use it to pay for more mansions, fancy cars, and exotic vacations.

Edit: Real answer is that they are hiring people from all over the world and the backer money they get comes from more than one country. These things, when combine with tax incentives provided by local governments, often mean it makes more sense financially to have multiple offices rather than just try to round up everyone in one location.

madcow fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 9, 2015

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

So hey Beer since you're banned you should totally have that show with Derek Smart.

Breakdown. And while that's a sad and terrible thing, I feel more sorry for his wife than I do him.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

madcow posted:

I read that four of the five offices are really fronts meant to help CR launder the backer money and use it to pay for more mansions, fancy cars, and exotic vacations.

yeah but this is true

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Incombibulator posted:

WTF? It's too late to get a "Free the Beer" T-shirt made for the CON. poo poo. Timing.

wear a cheap black shirt, stop at some craft store on the way there and get adhesive letters to spell "FREE BEER".

It'll look a bit crap but it'll last for the day of Con-Con.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Incombibulator posted:

TBH any goon that is going to the con, should TOTALLY do this. Just scrawl some poo poo with a magic marker on a white shirt, if nothing else, and spread goonrathi merch while chanting: "Free Beer!"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

madcow posted:

They wouldn't need to launder it since it was obtained legally.

They could just directly spend what they have in accounts.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Amun Khonsu posted:

They dont want anyone who has even a remote amount of criticism on their forums. Its lovely forum policing that doesnt follow even their own guidelines, but its their forum.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Romes128 posted:

Would be interesting to know what other ventures the circle is involved in. Just look at that slimy lawyer, that dude totally looks like he's laundered some money in his day.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kimsemus posted:

Beer is banned, the dream is over for goons the war has just begun.

Fixed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KakerMix posted:

hopefully murder suicide with chris roberts.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

lmao at Ben though, the dude is going to be CRUSHED when the realization that Star Citizen doesn't exist and Chris Roberts is a fraud hits.

You got it all backwards, he'll sit on Crobers and smother him to death while sobbing out "why Chris why? I loved you!". The rest of the office will try to pull him off but no one's gonna move that mountain anytime soon.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Romes128 posted:

I think the article mentioned something about making it harder for authorities to track the money and prosecute them for fraud. :shrug:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

madcow posted:

They already stated in an interview a couple days ago or so, you know the same one that said they signed a 5 year lease for an office in Frankfurt that the refund requests were around 1300 at that time.

Croberts signed a contract with Kevin Costner, and look at how that turned out.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

madcow posted:

Edit: Real answer is that they are hiring people from all over the world and the backer money they get comes from more than one country. These things, when combine with tax incentives provided by local governments, often mean it makes more sense financially to have multiple offices rather than just try to round up everyone in one location.

so like, I know this is hard to answer but

why do you need people from more than one country to make a single video game?

if your answer "talent' then you don't have an answer and lol

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Because Chris Sandi, wanted posh offices in LA. He had to hire his buddies in Austin, and hire his brother in the UK.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

This was my initial reaction as well they first announced the opening of F42. I mean, wouldn't it be cheaper to bring Erin over than to create a whole new studio there?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

no_recall posted:

This was my initial reaction as well they first announced the opening of F42. I mean, wouldn't it be cheaper to bring Erin over than to create a whole new studio there?

Supposedly the UK has some baller tax breaks or something, which is why F42's team is by far also the largest - allows them to save money.

Not like it'll matter, tho, if they plan to piss it all away on CR's vision and why a fair few still hope that Erin, his brother, breaks away with F42 and at least finishes SQ42, cause lol the PU is screwed.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Someone explain to me how disgruntled employees and a large game having a long development time can result in 240 pages of whatever in a little over a week.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Someone explain to me how disgruntled employees and a large game having a long development time can result in 240 pages of whatever in a little over a week.

burgers taste good

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Honest hate, it's because it extends the manhours the company can spend developing per day because of the timezone differences, and is also helpful with situations where gamebreaking things happen during off hours for one studio or the other. Not that it really matters with CIG.

I guess it would be easier to just have multiple shifts, but I don't think the games industry really does that. I'm just a layman, though.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 9, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CrazyLoon posted:

Supposedly the UK has some baller tax breaks or something, which is why F42's team is by far also the largest - allows them to save money.

Not like it'll matter, tho, if they plan to piss it all away on CR's vision and why a fair few still hope that Erin, his brother, breaks away with F42 and at least finishes SQ42, cause lol the PU is screwed.

ballin' jpeg breaks

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
I guess that we might see nights of the long daggers in the coming days when CIG is starting to silence opponents using the distraction of citizen con to their advantage - beer, i hope you do not stop posting over at reddit. Don't let them silence you.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

no_recall posted:

Citizen Con is coming guys!

pretty sure it happened three years ago

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

Working multisite is not cool, well CR is always about whats "cool". I guess this pet project of his he wanted to find the hell that is with multisite, multicultural and multi year dev cycles. I've worked on multisite projects before but those were on short term basis (at most no longer than <6 months) before handing over to a dedicated single site team.

Unless it was impossible not to work multi-site (in CIG's case it seems it was a choice), then single site, greater productivity > multi site and tax breaks.

Cause shipping the product is always priority NO 1.

Thats when you have investors.

But, we're not investors.

:bang:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thatguy posted:

Maybe if I sperg about a game unrelentingly for years the person that I worship as a God will welcome me with open arms into one of his future projects despite me not knowing a thing about game development.

If it could happen to :lesnick: it could happen to me too, right? Right guys? Please. I need this.

You're starting pretty late. A proper superfan would have had a geocities site and a web ring.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I generally have a lot of sympathy for people who spent more money that they should have on Star Citizen, there's no shame in being deceived by someone dishonest and that's what the advertising campaign behind Star Citizen has been for a long time. I've mentioned this before but major parts of the marketing campaign behind Star Citizen would likely be found illegal in the UK if it ever ended up in court, you've not allowed to claim "limited stock" for something that's not actually limited (pretend ships in a database, LTI etc) to trick people into thinking they got a good deal.

At this point if you've still on board the hype train, like madcow, then either you've a very trusting person (which I'd see as a positive human trait) or you've at least a tiny bit mental in which case you've being taken advantage of.

James seemed like a pretty cool dude but he only had an influence with community because CIG gave him a job and stuck him in front of the camera. Beer is similar, he asked good questions on their promotional videos and his name recognition associated him with being a force for reason/logic.

The ongoing war with Derek Smart has resulted in Beer being critical on RSI, being critical here, Derek Smart inviting him to appear with him to discuss Star Citizen and Derek Smart linking a very critical post of Beer's on twitter, not to mention negatively affecting the Citizen Con ship sale. CIG didn't really have a choice but to ban him as that's what they always do to those showing dissent, can't have anyone pointing out what's behind the curtain.

CIG might also be hoping there's a negative response from here that they can use to prove Beer was just a trouble maker, so I'd resist the urge give them a free pass like that. As for :lesnick: looking at his old posts on that lovely wing commander site, he's always been a dick, I have no sympathy for him at all, if you want to feel sorry for anyone, pick his wife instead, he dragged her into this and all that involves.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Do you think Elite Dangerous would have got away with charging you 10 quid to make your ship bright magenta if it hadn't been for Star Citizen's jpeg selling?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hopefully murder suicide with chris roberts.

Now way he lives long enough to see the game utterly fail. He wasn't healthy to start with, and somehow he's managed to gain tons of weight just in the few years he's had this job. Plus all the stress, long hours, and sedentary work? He's a dead man.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

I generally have a lot of sympathy for people who spent more money that they should have on Star Citizen, there's no shame in being deceived by someone dishonest and that's what the advertising campaign behind Star Citizen has been for a long time. I've mentioned this before but major parts of the marketing campaign behind Star Citizen would likely be found illegal in the UK if it ever ended up in court, you've not allowed to claim "limited stock" for something that's not actually limited (pretend ships in a database, LTI etc) to trick people into thinking they got a good deal.

They could say that the system generates unique serials for each in a virtual world which has policies that govern the creation of said ships. Thus giving them a defense in space court.

So every person that buys it has a unique hand crafted mesh. Which is why they take so long with the ships.

Cause every individual one is hand made.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

Honest hate, it's because it extends the manhours the company can spend developing per day because of the timezone differences, and is also helpful with situations where gamebreaking things happen during off hours for one studio or the other. Not that it really matters with CIG.

I guess it would be easier to just have multiple shifts, but I don't think the games industry really does that. I'm just a layman, though.

man hours refer to how many hours each person puts in every day, not how many hours are in the day. If everyone is working an 8 hour shift it doesn't matter where they are in the world, it's 8 man hours for that day per person, and their productivity will skyrocket when they can just lean out of their cubicle and yell down the hall for someone instead of having the guy who knows or has the thing you need at home asleep because it's 2 am where he is

multiple offices is just a poo poo terrible idea on the face of it, and no amount of talent or tax breaks is worth the headache everyone on your team will have trying to cope with it, so it's really a loaded question to see if madcow can see any fault at all with what CIG and CR is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

ShredsYouSay posted:

Do you think Elite Dangerous would have got away with charging you 10 quid to make your ship bright magenta if it hadn't been for Star Citizen's jpeg selling?

People buy hats in TF2. For way more than that.

Also CounterStrike Knife Skins.

All 3 games exist. SC doesn't exist as a game.

• Locked thread