Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Can somebody please tell me what happened to James Pugh? I totally missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

Lol you stupid as gently caress if you still have money in star citizen.

Quoting. Stage 1 response confirming I want my refund got. Now to just get it. That'll be in 3 weeks.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tarquinn posted:

eaten by... well isn't it obvious?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

madcow posted:

Hey, what is 90 million divided by 1 million? Sorry, I am bad at math, but I think that will give you a rough average of the typically pledge amount. It won't be terribly accurate, but it will at least show you that the number of people who are in it for thousands constitute a very small minority and are probably consisting mostly of goons.

It's only a small minority of a million people with debt. The Concierge line at Citizen Con events is often longer than the normal line, whales have several accounts each. Look at the hits on youtube for the promotional videos or the metrics from those playing Arena Commander and remember when they soon claim 1 million citizens, the real number is far more likely to be closer to half of that.

But again, congratulations on being smart enough not to have that much money in at this stage, you don't see that mental to me so kudos on possibly being a nice trusting person in real life.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

madcow posted:

When CIG starts to layoff significant portions of the staff and starts closing down studios that is when I will start to worry.

So the complete overreacting temper tantrum by CR, the CEO, to allegations that he says are easily proven untrue, but doesn't actually provide any evidence, doesn't worry you?

The fact that the VP in charge of HR is the one personally handling refunds doesn't worry you?

The fact they are hugely behind schedule for SQ42 (even by AAA games delay standards, the delay for SQ42 is unheard of) doesn't worry you?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

Friendly fire.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
madcow, you can get more out of a single thread by Ben than reading here if your eyes are open.

:lesnick: can't even predict the date of the FPS drop and is wrong by a scale of 3 so far at best. All the time is being spent on blockers, not polish, yet they still can't get it up. They are in denial about feature creep and think the product is still as pitched. Ben is thinking with his heart, not his mind. Trust nothing. Turbulent can't handle a starmap and was crippled by needing to make the payment system work with VAT. Chris is intimately involved in what kind of boots particular characters will wear. Ben isn't concerned when a producer who has been with the company from the start quits when his job involved by his own definition "...very methodical processes and ... makes sure the components needed to realize Chris’ vision can happen and that personnel are tasked with individual processes and ...holding the whip", they think they are doing open development when we are either not being told when it really will be out, or honestly told as best they think which means they really don't know themselves.

Wake up. Denial is helping you, let alone CIG.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
June 26 2015 "How many people total are working on Star Citizen total – 500 probably, including outsourcers, 300 internally"

Smart's first blog July 6, 2015

18th August 2015 270 total (staff + contractors)

poo poo really seemed to hit the fan in July around the time they decided to wind down Austin, bin Illfonic and Alex Mayberry/Travis Day bailed.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely love the state of things now, where everyone is confused at what CIG is doing.
Redditors are at the state of reassurance, the amount of posts regarding how everything is a-ok in the brown sea is amazing.

Somedays I wish these moments don't end.

But we know it will.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

AP posted:

June 26 2015
poo poo really seemed to hit the fan in July around the time they decided to wind down Austin, bin Illfonic and Alex Mayberry/Travis Day bailed.

Good narrative. I always felt that not enough attention was payed to the drop of total employee numbers. Everyone just glassed over that with mutterings "contractors included" / "contractors excluded".
Maybe July was the point when CR actually felt that poo poo has hit the fan and did what he promised he would do if funding decreased? Cut the spending (a little)? Back then he had a bit more that 8 mil left.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a lot easier to pretend you're not mad at the thread if you're not in here insisting you're not mad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just saying that in general, throwin it out there.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Sarsapariller posted:

Dear Ben:

A lot of people say a lot of mean things about you and 99% of it is undeserved because of your position at the head of a major development company. For the most part I don't join in because that kind of stuff is tedious, petty, and not particularly healthy to the soul if you engage in it frequently. But let me just step off the high horse for a second and get real with you. gently caress you. You are the mascot for a company that, regardless of how it started out, now exists only to continue raising the hopes and taking the money of clueless nerds just like yourself. They literally put you up front because you are the ur-citizen. You are the Jimmy Olsen, the Short Round, the kid sidekick that terminally insecure manchildren are supposed to identify with. You're sitting next to your hero and they sit there vicariously with you. Your unquestioning faith in Chris is literally what they have been cultivating in the whales, and look what it's gotten them- a fanatically loyal fanbase that is driving itself into debt, breaking up marriages, taking out second mortgages, and giving it to CIG.

Do you have a problem with that? It seems like you're having trouble keeping your composure lately, so I suspect that you do. That's basically the only reason I'm writing this- some part of you has to realize which way the wind is blowing, with everyone around you departing for higher ground. You exist to reassure troubled fanboys that everything is alright, but you and I and everyone else here and everyone in your office knows that is not true. There's only one group that still believes it- the people that you, you yourself, are tricking. Eventually this project is going to crash- it is simply unsustainable, at the rate they're burning through employees and apparently cash, while continuing to make additional promises. What do you think is going to happen to you when that day comes? They're going to hate you. Sandi and Roberts are going to jet-set off into failed developer land, and you are the one who will never work in games again.

You made this bed. Every questionable decision you backed. Every decision to fleece the public just a little more, that you nodded assent to. Every time you showed up on camera and did a little dance while they sucked more money out of people's pockets for pictures of spaceships. People's marriages have ended over this game, Ben. People have gone into serious debt to give more money to Roberts. People are having mental breaks on the forums. People just like you. Except maybe not as lucky. And you just keep on pushing them. Just one more donation, one more week, one more prayer to CIG, and everything will work out.

It won't and you know it. Quit lying. Roberts has no choice and Sandi is by all accounts an awful person, but you? You were the one who earned the backer's trust. For that, gently caress you.

that's just mean, man!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Zmej posted:

i'm loving livid coffee chat is over and being insulted

I just made a lovely cup from Malawi beans and a £15 French press. Take your $20k machine and shove it, Croberts.

Also I have a ROK espresso machine arriving today. It was less than one spaceship jpeg and claims to be able to make okay coffee. We shall see. If nothing else it looks rad.

Prop Wash posted:

Coffee talk: I got a little hand grinder recently and man grinding the beans makes a noticeable difference, if the grind is all fresh and delicious. Plus hand grinding is sort of a relaxing thing to do. Anyway, coffee is good, this game doesn't exist, probably go ahead and ban the latest seraph incarnation

A grinder is one of the keys to making good coffee, along with fresh beans. When you get bored of hand grinding the Baratza Encore is a nice budget electric grinder.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

no_recall posted:

I absolutely love the state of things now, where everyone is confused at what CIG is doing.
Redditors are at the state of reassurance, the amount of posts regarding how everything is a-ok in the brown sea is amazing.

But we know it will.

we should all take a moment to really let this feeling sink in

no, really, close your eyes and really feel it and let it burn into your mind so that later on when poo poo's tough and life is bad and you have a lovely day you can close your eyes and think

"thank god I didn't lose money in star citizen"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tarranon posted:

in a thread full of shitters, yer shittest, mate

Well gently caress you you daft bugger, I've been busting my balls here and I get absolutely no recognition at all. Un-loving-believable.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Star Citizen will be the end of the petrodollar.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

no_recall posted:

But we know it will.

I don't know, I don't think this will end on a bang, but live on for ages drip fed by diehard true believer whales like Wulf for years to come.

It's like a cult, the dream will never die unless Christ Roberts does. Some people are so loving brainwashed that no matter what happens, the blame will get deflected to something else (Derek Smart did this!!! Goons did this!!! Escapist!!! Gamergate!!! Feminists!!!) and they'll still be buying jpegs and suporting Crobert's coke habit and Sandi's :airquote:acting career:airquote:.

edit: basically this will become/already is a new Duke Nukem Forever.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The art of creating jpegs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l1VjVcRArg

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I don't know, I don't think this will end on a bang, but live on for ages drip fed by diehard true believer whales like Wulf for years to come.

It's like a cult, the dream will never die unless Christ Roberts does. Some people are so loving brainwashed that no matter what happens, the blame will get deflected to something else (Derek Smart did this!!! Goons did this!!! Escapist!!! Gamergate!!! Feminists!!!) and they'll still be buying jpegs and suporting Crobert's coke habit and Sandi's :airquote:acting career:airquote:.

edit: basically this will become/already is a new Duke Nukem Forever.

To be fair, Goons, Gamergate, Feminists and Derek Smart are probably the 4 riders of the apocalypse for a certain group of players. They usually see themselves as hardcore players and use o7 unironically.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I miss the old thread when I had to tone what I really felt down or I'd get jumped on for being too critical and yet in this one Beer goes for it and get's perma banned from RSI.

Hey Beer, you posted way too much on that stupid place, good posts but their long term moderation policies meant you didn't really stand a chance. I think you deserve a merit for effort posting there and when this all goes south at least you'll be able to say you tried, unlike Ben "the ship on sale is the best ship" Lesnick who's busy locking the doors to third class while the good ship CIG is taking on water.

They really did you a favour.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
In addition to the $20,000 coffee maker, Im sure that they paid government prices for this too.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

In a surprising turn of events - a video of the Star Citizen ship self-destruct deactivation procedure was posted in another thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BhHkvHcUfo

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Wow I've not seen that before. As an artist I also love the fact that they take a high poly (not in game ready at all) asset and manipulate it in Unreal in a perfectly designed set, probably just so they can say "this was rendered IN GAME!".

Effectively this is the same as rendering it in Marmoset or something, but I'm sure average Shitizens eat it up as more proof that there's a fully functioning game just around the corner, because this is a screenshot.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

I miss the old thread when I had to tone what I really felt down or I'd get jumped on for being too critical and yet in this one Beer goes for it and get's perma banned from RSI.

Hey Beer, you posted way too much on that stupid place, good posts but their long term moderation policies meant you didn't really stand a chance. I think you deserve a merit for effort posting there and when this all goes south at least you'll be able to say you tried, unlike Ben "the ship on sale is the best ship" Lesnick who's busy locking the doors to third class while the good ship CIG is taking on water.

They really did you a favour.

Beer must be....Vindicated.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

KiddieGrinder posted:

Wow I've not seen that before. As an artist I also love the fact that they take a high poly (not in game ready at all) asset and manipulate it in Unreal in a perfectly designed set, probably just so they can say "this was rendered IN GAME!".

Effectively this is the same as rendering it in Marmoset or something, but I'm sure average Shitizens eat it up as more proof that there's a fully functioning game just around the corner, because this is a screenshot.

I am personally convinced that CIG uses a similar workflow.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Code 345, I repeat, code 345. My vessel has been sucked into a temporal vortex and it looks like I'm about 600 posts in the future. Calling all vessels in the quadrant, require intel update. I repeat, require intel update for 600 posts.

Paladinus out.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Paladinus posted:

Code 345, I repeat, code 345. My vessel has been sucked into a temporal vortex and it looks like I'm about 600 posts in the future. Calling all vessels in the quadrant, require intel update. I repeat, require intel update for 600 posts.

Paladinus out.

Beer got banned.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

madcow posted:

Or I am not a gullible cynic and have more experience with real investigative journalism than you?

Hmm

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GaussianCopula posted:

Beer got banned.

For declining Smart's offer to riff over CitCon on twitch?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

Paladinus out.

Beer got banned.

madcow has been outed as a retard who still has money in star citizen.

people wanna titty gently caress the fat sc guy. (I do too)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

She is mad, but she is not a cow. Need more evidence.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This but with Beer and banned instead of rum and gone. What's happened?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImcvtJzIK8

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Paladinus posted:

She is mad, but she is not a cow. Need more evidence.

She seems like a cow of a person to me.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

Beer got permabanned for disagreeing with people on the RSI forums. He just couldn't take his blinders off and see the TRUTH of Christ Roberts.

I got the impression that it was for publicly posting the "Vindicator" ship name in the form of the hash that Derek Smart sent him.

Also, to the refund request thing (I guess Derek Smart twitted a link to Beer's SA post), the only thing about it that I think isn't so good is encouraging the customer to lie. "Alternatively create a sob story about medical expenses, familial hardship, etc." should have instead said something like "Alternatively if you have any current personal hardships like medical expenses, familial hardship, etc., then briefly explain it."

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

no_recall posted:

They could say that the system generates unique serials for each in a virtual world which has policies that govern the creation of said ships. Thus giving them a defense in space court.

So every person that buys it has a unique hand crafted mesh. Which is why they take so long with the ships.

Cause every individual one is hand made.

Don't think they'd get away with that. The Advertising Standards Authority are I think the relevant body here when it comes to the sale of spaceship jpegs and they are pretty good about cracking down on weasel bullshit like that. Now I'm not suggesting that if CIG use Citizencon (taking place in the UK, don't forget) to advertise a limited sale of a picture that someone should then use the ASA's online reporting facility to put in a complaint, just that someone could do such a thing.

Amun Khonsu posted:

In addition to the $20,000 coffee maker, Im sure that they paid government prices for this too.

Several threads ago it was pointed out that Croberts had a fancy lamp seen in a video which cost a ridiculous amount of money, and they also use a desk made from an airplane wing that of course comes with a stupid price tag. The 20k coffee machine might be bullshit but there's documented proof that they are needlessly spending a lot of money on furniture. Games companies having expensive office baubles is nothing new (the dearly departed DID had a deactivated bomb hanging off a jet fighter wing in their meeting room) but other games companies actually release finished products and have real income.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
End Game

quote:

inside the chaos, arrogance, and mistakes that led to the destruction

“50 million its [sic] not a loving joke. It’s gone,” she wrote, adding that, “You have no idea what that last two weeks were like. Hope and hell. We hung on every telephone call. My husband couldn’t function. My kids saw their father cry more in that month then [sic] any child should see.”

“Are you going to admit that your stupid hubris, pride, and arrogance would not allow you to accept that we failed — and help shut it down with dignity?”

Successful MMOs are incredibly lucrative, but they’re also the hardest type of game to build.

Industry experts often compare making video games to filming movies, given their similarly long production cycles and hit-or-miss nature.

Schilling put his wife, Shonda, on the board of directors. Shonda’s father received a job in IT (by all accounts, he performed admirably), and her mother was given the title “philanthropy and charity manager.” Meanwhile, Shonda’s uncle, William Thomas, became COO. Though a seasoned businessman, Thomas had no experience with video games, much less MMOs. Schilling took to calling him “Uncle Bill” around the office, and even in meetings with outsiders. According to the case study, Thomas told Schilling it was making them look bad and to stop. The nickname caught on with the staff, anyway.

The CEO also tried to rein in Schilling’s spending, doing away with ideas for company cars and cell phones. But Schilling was adamant about the rest of the perks. According to the case study, between fiscal years 2007 and 2008, the company spent more than $705,000 on “travel and entertainment,” a sum Scherlis, the former Turbine CEO, calls “wildly high.”

“It never had the culture of a startup,” says one former employee. “The message was being sent…that there was plenty of money.”

Hanging over everything, though, was the fact that there was no new money coming in. As the calendar raced toward 2010 — Schilling’s original deadline — Project Copernicus remained years away from completion. If Schilling wasn’t able to track down money soon, the studio would be doomed.

In its midst, Schilling seemed to be handing out important titles to anybody who asked nicely for one. “It became a joke,” one employee says. “Oh, you are a VP of lunch? Oh yeah, I’m a VP of doughnuts.” Infighting inevitably resulted, with execs often giving conflicting directives to staffers. “They didn’t work well together,” Schilling says of his bloated management team. “I was amazed at the turf-building and protecting that went on.”

The people working under Schilling had their own complaints about him. One says that he’d undermine managers by randomly dipping in to give direct orders to employees: “His requests added significant work, and were often contrary to the direction given by other people.” Former staff members also charge that Schilling was stubborn and ignored people when he didn’t like what they were saying. For instance, sources say Schilling froze out his vice president of business development by excluding her from meetings. “Once Curt turned on somebody,” a former employee says, “you went from being a superstar to he doesn’t want to talk to you, overnight.”

One former employee says Schilling appreciated that there was a lot he didn’t know about video-game development, and “tried to hire some of the best people in the industry to shore up those gaps. The problem is if you don’t listen to those people.”

Deadlines were frequently missed, something for which staffers say Schilling rarely held anyone accountable. The ex-pitcher had a bigger concern. “The game wasn’t fun,” he says, unprompted, beside the softball field. “It was my biggest gripe for probably the past eight to 12 months.” Visually, Copernicus was stunning, but the actual things you could do in the game weren’t engaging enough. The combat aspects especially lagged. Schilling — who never wavered in his belief that the game would be great — says the MMO was improving, but after six years, it still wasn’t there. When Schilling walked around during lunch hour, he says, nobody was playing Copernicus’s internal demos. They were all on some other game.

Adding to March’s chaos, CEO Jen MacLean, who’d been feuding with Schilling, suddenly went on leave. Her colleagues — and the press — were led to believe it was because of her pregnancy (she was roughly six months in), but according to a company source, MacLean’s departure was not for medical reasons.

May 15 brought more unwelcome news: 38 Studios missed payroll. Company officials assured employees that the salary issue would get resolved. Workers were told that they had the option to stay home, but that the office would remain open. Most everybody kept coming in.

Meanwhile, as the media swarmed outside the 38 Studios office, employees inside began to realize that the company could be done for. Wanting the world to see their work, a few grabbed an old Copernicus trailer and began to brush it up. As they worked, colleagues crammed into a small set of cubicles, packing in 50 to 60 deep. When the video was ready, someone hit play and “Project Copernicus” came up in gold lettering on the screen, followed by a shot of a foreign-looking world. With haunting music in the background, the camera zoomed in, whooshing through a series of distinct, beautifully rendered landscapes — a forest of trees decorated with ornate hanging lamps; a castle with a base of finely detailed sculptures; a palace topped with golden griffin statues. When the two-minute trailer ended, people lost it. “We’re all leaning on each other,” says Jesse Smith, the designer. “A lot of us were crying, a lot of us were happy. And after it happened, there was just an uproar of applause.”

One of the company’s final acts — between June 4 and June 6 — was to pay COO William “Uncle Bill” Thomas just over $12,000 for his work shutting down 38 Studios, according to bankruptcy documents. Nearly every other employee had not been paid for more than a month.

His company is now under federal and state investigation.

:yohoho:

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Sweet..

I changed my CIG avatar to beers, with a speech bubble that says "Free Beer !", and posted to imgur, anyone who want's to annoy CIG can find it at:

http://i.imgur.com/Sw9Z7LG.png

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Grinding the coffee beans just before preparing it is by far the best change you can do to your coffee. You can add fancier things on top of that but freshly ground vs pre-ground store bought make a dramatic change in taste. You don't need to be a coffee snob or foodie either to notice the huge difference.

Also star citizen is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol have none of you people ever worked in an office with a break room or canteen or something?

Believe it or not it's actually worth making people happy, keeping morale up, decorating nicely. Also means the talent is less likely to leave for a company not run by giant spergs

Or run a soviet concrete box where everyone has soylent for lunch, whatever :911:

• Locked thread