Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: I have a mixed environment of Seagate and Hitachi disks. My Seagates seem to do okay.

I work for a rugged computer manufacturer and we almost have no warranty replacements with WD drives, unless they're the blue series drives. The Seagate 10k SAS drives have a really high failure rate, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm waiting to graduate before I build a new computer. I'm never buying ATI/AMD products again, so this time I shouldn't have as many problems

SuperDucky posted:

Yes, gently caress ATI forever. I was hoping to limp this 66-whatever at least until the game actually launched but it wouldn't even load the menus without dx12. Oh, well, guess it goes into the HTPC.

:colbert: I still love AMD/ATI. I've got both Intel/Nvidia and AMD/ATI and Intel/AMD combined setups, and price wise AMD is still the way to go.

Intel still rear end-rapes people for even budget CPUs.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I work for a rugged computer manufacturer and we almost have no warranty replacements with WD drives, unless they're the blue series drives. The Seagate 10k SAS drives have a really high failure rate, however.

I've got WDs as well running in my servers, and yeah I've never had to replace one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh neat! My only good dress shirt has shrunk and I can no longer button the top button! And don't even ask me to tie a tie!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: I still love AMD/ATI. I've got both Intel/Nvidia and AMD/ATI and Intel/AMD combined setups, and price wise AMD is still the way to go.

CPU/PCH wise I don't really care, not that I've ever built a machine for myself with one. I have built AMD machines for friends. ATIs drivers are just such utter poo poo I gladly give Nvidia my money.

(Also Intel keeps me employed so)

e: I will forever refer to ATI as ATI just to keep it straight in my head.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I've got WDs as well running in my servers, and yeah I've never had to replace one.

I've never had so many problems with a CPU/GPU as I've had with my Phenom x4 and MSI HD 6850

literally the only use for ATI poo poo is bitcoin and fuckin lol if you bitcoin

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

I've never had so many problems with a CPU/GPU as I've had with my Phenom x4 and MSI HD 6850

literally the only use for ATI poo poo is bitcoin and fuckin lol if you bitcoin

Its called anecdotal evidence for a reason. I've have zero problems with the 5-6 AMD/ATI powered machines I have.

And considering AMD/ATIs dedication to Open Source, they will continue to have my vote, regardless of Intel's stability, I'm sick of having to deal with their closed source methods.

But yea, gently caress bitcoin.

SuperDucky posted:

ATIs drivers are just such utter poo poo I gladly give Nvidia my money.

This is really the root of ATIs actual issues: Not the hardware, but the drivers. Hopefully, now that they've open sourced almost all the drivers, we'll see improvements like we did when Omega re-compiled the ATI drivers back in the day.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its called anecdotal evidence for a reason. I've have zero problems with the 5-6 AMD/ATI powered machines I have.

And considering AMD/ATIs dedication to Open Source, they will continue to have my vote, regardless of Intel's stability, I'm sick of having to deal with their closed source methods.

But yea, gently caress bitcoin.

This is really the root of ATIs actual issues: Not the hardware, but the drivers. Hopefully, now that they've open sourced almost all the drivers, we'll see improvements like we did when Omega re-compiled the ATI drivers back in the day.

open sores is a double edged blade, though

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The computer that I built for my step-mom used a bargain basement AMD chip back with a 200GB Seagate only just got replaced because she got a grant to do music production. I built the computer in 2002 and it was running XP. Nothing died ever.

For my own poo poo, I still use Intel and WD :shrug:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I too buy hardware on vague promises of it being good in the future.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Oh neat! My only good dress shirt has shrunk and I can no longer button the top button! And don't even ask me to tie a tie!

(It didn't shrink) :btroll:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Yeah do you know how hard it is to shrink a shirt?

meatpimp posted:

(It didn't shrink) :btroll:

^^

At least you get to go buy a sparkly new one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Going to court huh?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

gently caress mirror walls forever. My home came with several mirror walls. The guys doing the tile broke one of them taking the old tiles up, so they took all the mirrors down. This is what's behind it all...

:barf:

This house is gonna look so awesome when this is all done.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

KozmoNaut posted:

I toyed with the idea of having my own weightlifting setup, but I decided to join an awesome crossfit/lifting club instead. They have so much more gear (and room for said gear) than I would ever have, and they have the really high-quality stuff (Eleiko weights and barbells etc.). I would bankrupt myself if I had to buy the same gear just for my own little setup. Compared to that, 300DKK/month is chump change, and that includes instructors who know what they're doing and what you're doing wrong.

Plus, I've made a lot of great friends through the club. Beating yourself down with heavy lifting together is a great way to get to know people :)

If you're anywhere near Vanløse or Kbh N, I'd be happy to introduce you, there's a one-week free tryout period for new members.

Just joined a gym myself. Been really good so far, so 100% concur. I normally hate people, but every single person has been super friendly so far. I'm a laffo-round goon, and I've gotten nothing but encouragement and good vibes from people, so definitely worth my money! And I feel better than I have in years, even only after 2 weeks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol nope

Nope nope nope

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Edit: totally read that wrong.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo 7 degrees of caster? My NA tops out around five and a half and I thought that was already crazy.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Phone posted:

Lol nope

Nope nope nope

You mean you didn't want to go oval racing in your new Miata?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The NBs can get 6 due to the revised front subframe and A arms.

I pulled caster to get some camber. I wanted a square set up, but I'm OK with it being a bit pushy. That +0.2 of camber though, ffffffffffffff

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I hate Texas. I hate hotels. I miss my kid. gently caress this humidity. Why are your onramps like 12 feet long? This Yaris has like 7 horsepower. Can I go a full day without being assaulted by some death bug the size of a silver dollar? If I have to eat another waffle in the shape of Texas I'm going to burn something to the ground.

I just want to go home.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

jammyozzy posted:

You mean you didn't want to go oval racing in your new Miata?

No, it's just the factory acknowledging that the stock tires are crap and helping the customer rub them away with all the toe.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

meatpimp posted:

No, it's just the factory acknowledging that the stock tires are crap and helping the customer rub them away with all the toe.

When I finally got my Scirocco back up to stock ride height I completely forgot about toe. Ended up being 2 inches toe in. My front tires lasted about 150 miles.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm waiting to graduate before I build a new computer. I'm never buying ATI/AMD products again, so this time I shouldn't have as many problems

On the CPU front, AMD is fine as long as you don't want the absolute top performance CPU you can get. They simply cannot compete with Intel in that segment, but their budget and low-power models are fine. That said, I've been extremely satisfied with my Phenom II X6 1100T, which was the biggest baddest AMD CPU at the time, and put up a great fight against Intel's high-end offerings. I haven't bothered to overclock it and the performance is great at the stock 3.3GHz.

But on the GPU front AMD/ATI still loses bigtime for any Linux/BSD user. The Nvidia drivers are just lightyears ahead.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 9, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I swore off ATI video cards in 2006 and will never, ever, ever go back. Why? the drivers. I don't know how, but hydravision (which I had to install to make my dual monitor setup work at the time - and it only made things worse, it resulted in app crashes and completely hosed up video resolution/refresh rate settings every time I opened any video game, requiring me to learn how to open display properties and set it back to something sane entirely blind, using keyboard shortcuts) completely cratered my TCP/IP stack when I uninstalled it. Had to reinstall windows.

At that point I bought an nvidia card, reinstalled windows, and never went back. gently caress ATI. Maybe in another few years I'll give them a second chance, but only if they take the entire development team responsible for that monstrosity out in a public square, line them up, and shoot them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nah, ATIs poo poo is still garbage.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh snap

https://youtu.be/Zb1JS4DljYo

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Joined vidku as my username. Need more dogs

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

What kind of weight lifting gear did you get, and how much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Entertaining the thought of my own garage (I think it comes with a house too, dunno, ask the missus about that part) and part of the dream is my own weight lifting setup.
I bought a used set, I can't remember how much it was, but it got me a 7' bar, two dumbell bars, and a couple of hundred kilos of 2" plates for about half the new price, and they're steel bars and lumps of cast iron, they don't really have a lot to go wrong.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

when Omega re-compiled the ATI drivers back in the day.
NSFW that 'stalgia-boner inducing sentence, boy.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've had just as many dumb driver issues with Nvidia as I have had with ATI. I haven't had any driver issues in like 5 years though so I just get whatever has the best price/performance in my price range and don't worry about it. Currently have an Intel CPU/ATI video card and no issues with either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Went and saw The Martian the other night. Adding my voice to the Go See It pool. Few little things bothered me (clear plastic and duct tape? Why not hab canvas like in the book. Friend did the calcs and there would be something like 60 tons of force on that sheet plastic...), but nothing big.

Also: just joined Vidku as @darchangel and friended @adam. Add to group, please?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Everyone up to here has been added to vidku group, lemme know if I missed you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Is stuff going missing?

Nope, they've just never had a physical inventory of hardware, so the company literally does not know where everything is. We have software that gathers info from PCs, but they want to know if this is accurate (which it isn't, if it breaks, or the PC does.)
We need it. My complaint is the timescale, the total lack of direction, and the fact that there are companies who do this. We're not like a tiny company where the IT staff also does physical counts, and such.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

Everyone up to here has been added to vidku group, lemme know if I missed you.

Cool, already in. Thanks!

e: Holy poo poo, Viggen lives?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Darchangel posted:

Cool, already in. Thanks!

e: Holy poo poo, Viggen lives?

Not so much that as I was just crying about driving a saab.

edit: and as we all know, saab=Viggen.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Just joined Vidku as BoostCreep.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ssjonizuka posted:

Not so much that as I was just crying about driving a saab.

edit: and as we all know, saab=Viggen.

Right, I figured it out after a few more video which was title, which was user. D'oh!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have an AMD FirePro M6100 in my machine, it runs like clockwork. Granted, all the optional upgrade cards are Nvidia Quadros, so this is the entry level for this machine.

Anecdotal, I know, but I actually end up having more issues with the Intel Graphics than I did the AMD video.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know what the problem is, Intel integrated graphics look great. First frame looks good... oh here comes the second, it looks good too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
Joined Vidku, friended Adam, and got invited to the Adi group before finishing the post. I'm @Sir_PukesAlot.

• Locked thread