Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I think this is the new version of every single pen listing having "ART DECO GREAT GATSBY" in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

grack posted:

That is literally exactly what I said was wrong with your daughter's pen the first time around - a cracked cartridge. Did you not bother to check before you had it replaced?

On the first one I could find no crack but I must admit I did not inspect it so closely, maybe the crack was less obvious? But don't you love to be right?
She is loving the pen now and is so happy with the BlueBlack ink I will refill it with the Sailor Blue Black next time.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Alder posted:

Thanks, how do you like the VP? I tested one for a few min but I keep seeing them all over the place :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

My Man Shran posted:

I think this is the new version of every single pen listing having "ART DECO GREAT GATSBY" in the title.

That's still going on in the UK, along with the never-ending stream of current-model VINTAGE COLLECTIBEL RARE GOLD NIB!!!11! Montblanc 149s

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Still better than my favorite flea market dealer ever. He had two pen buckets: one for bodies/caps, and another for the mangled gold nibs he removed from said bodies with a pair of wire cutters or some poo poo.

You see, he had planned to run by a cash-for-gold joint on his way home because them old pens ain't worth nothin' anyway. I cried for all the Sheaffers that I would never have the chance to put in my restoration drawer to never be seen again.

Edit: This is why I come to this thread to poo poo on antiques sellers and ebay people all the time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The best part of those antique shows is when they emotionlessly shred the dreams of idiots who show up with worthless "antique" and "vintage" poo poo.

Sup rear end in a top hat they made millions of radio flyer wagons and this one is worth about three bucks. Your set of spoons is just stainless steel with a polishing treatment. This punch bowl was made in 2008 as a throwback.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I once bought a Porsche Design Slim Titanium with an 18k nib from a dude at a flea market for $35

Worked fine, sold it for a ton of cash because I didn't find it that comfortable.

Also once traded a (clearly) fake Mont Blanc to a dude at a flea market for a platinum-plated Elysee Parthenon with an 18k nib + ballpoint combo. Wrote like absolute poo poo unfortunately.

Those are my flea market stories :shrug:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Jesus. What kind of flea markets do you go to that aren't endless aisles of horrible wearever* with the rare Sheaffer school pen or P51 being sold for $10 because "it needs new ink"?

*I realize how redundant "horrible wearever" is.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Meh. Moderate sized flea market close to where I live. There's at least one guy selling good quality vintage pens there every week but he is well aware of the value so I've never bought anything from him. Also two extremely old and very confused dudes selling fountain pens that come around once a month or so that pretty clearly don't know what they're doing because they price stuff all over the place.

Edit: The Porsche Design pen

drat it was pretty, but I just couldn't get along with it.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 7, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

My Man Shran posted:

being sold for $10 because "it needs new ink"?

This always cracks me up, though it's obvious people who have never written with a fountain pen might not have a concept of refilling a pen.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

And like half the people that did in the 50s apparently never thought about emptying them.

I can smell dried superchrome from across the room now. It's the smell of softened plastic and melted dreams.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh hell yes

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Are all Sailor converters cheap pieces of junk that are easily accidentally disassembled, or did I just get a bad one?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Are all Sailor converters cheap pieces of junk that are easily accidentally disassembled, or did I just get a bad one?

It's a converter and they cost like $5 :geno:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm not super familiar with fountain pens, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I had a Lamy Safari for a bunch of years and could treat it like any other pen and not have it leak.

I just recently got a Pilot Metro and it seems that if I have it in any position except straight up when not in use it leaks into the barrel and a bit into the cap. Is this a known thing with this pen and I need to change my habits with it? Or is there possibly something defective with mine?

It's a fine tip and I'm using the ink cart that came with the pen, if that matters.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 9, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

mikeycp posted:

I had a Lamy Safari for a bunch of years and could treat it like any other pen and not have it leak.

I just recently got a Pilot Metro and it seems that if I have it in any position except straight up when not in use it leaks into the barrel and a bit into the cap. Is this a known thing with this pen and I need to change my habits with it? Or is there possibly something defective with mine?

It's a fine tip and I'm using the ink cart that came with the pen, if that matters.

Yes, FPs typically don't leak while closed you might want to consider a refund soon.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

howe_sam posted:

It seems those are normal twist-type converters. They're meant to come apart, yes. It's helpful for cleaning, because if you aren't cleaning the pen, you probably aren't turning any part of the converter in the direction you'd need to in order to disassemble it. That said, it's pretty helpful to always grasp converters by the clear bit, so you don't accidentally unscrew the whole thing while you're loving around with it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

mikeycp posted:

Remove the cartridge, wipe it with a piece of absorbing paper and check for cracks. If no cracks, get a replacement / refund and other pen. Check youtube for cartridge placement instructions else you end up like myself in harassing a store for no reason (see post history).

Talking about Metro's, I have a Metro Python and earlier this week in a meeting it was picked up by a curious colleague and after some inspection placed back with an appreciative nod. Now I am trying to decide which animal print will be next, the black croc seems nice, but bronze lizard is cool too. White tiger for the name alone.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aww, there are no more 1 dollar jinhao x450s. Oh well.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Keetron posted:

Talking about Metro's, I have a Metro Python and earlier this week in a meeting it was picked up by a curious colleague and after some inspection placed back with an appreciative nod. Now I am trying to decide which animal print will be next, the black croc seems nice, but bronze lizard is cool too. White tiger for the name alone.

I got the Bronze Lizard. I like it. I also have plain silver. Now I want a Retro Pop one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Zenostein posted:

That said, it's pretty helpful to always grasp converters by the clear bit, so you don't accidentally unscrew the whole thing while you're loving around with it.

Yeah, that was the thing, my other converters, mostly Pilots and Watermans, don't come unscrewed from the base. So it was quite the shock when i was flushing the pen, the plunger stuck, and the base came unscrewed. Shouldn't be a problem now that I've greased everything up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Okay, so I may have dropped a little cash on pens in the last month

Just a little

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Luisfe posted:

Aww, there are no more 1 dollar jinhao x450s. Oh well.

Yeah , the price went up like 100%.

@grack, I am a noob, can you link?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

You should give us a report on how you like the Dolcevita after a few weeks. I've begun to realize that literally every nice pen I use is vintage and kind of want to join the century.

Edit: I have never wanted a stupid pen as bad as I want one of these olive green and copper special edition KK INKs.

https://instagram.com/p/8l5KBznYxQ/?taken-by=karaspenco

That's a lie, but this does come second to that olive acrylic and rose gold Stipula Gladiator that my local pen shop carried as an exclusive a while back.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 10, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
After taking my Metro apart to learn how it works, I think my problem may have been that the ink cart wasn't seated well. It needs more testing, but after spinning it around and accidentally dropping it a bunch I have yet to get leaking in the barrel again.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

I mean I am unsure what pens you now showed a photo of, can you tell us more about this elusive hole in your pocket?

Also:
http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/diamine-shimmering-fountain-colours-p-6945.html?language=en

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

Full disclosure: I intern at Stride Inc, the US distributor for Schneider. I haven't completely drank the kool-aid yet, but I am a fan of the Schneider pens.

I've been pushing the company to order the Base Uni fountain pen for a while now because I think a lot of enthusiasts would like the design of it. They finally did, and now it's available on Massdrop.
Schneider Base Fountain Pen (2-Pack) for $27.99 and it's reached its lowest price.
(The link above is for guest login, so you don't need an account to view it)

Super in-depth video review including writing samples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQKWWvKgd5g

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: ^^^ What is it with German "school" pens and gigantic fuckoff clips?

Keetron posted:

I mean I am unsure what pens you now showed a photo of, can you tell us more about this elusive hole in your pocket?

Also:
http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/diamine-shimmering-fountain-colours-p-6945.html?language=en

Top Pen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1N90W4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Bottom Pen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S1Q132?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I paid ~$270 shipped for the Delta because it was on Amazon's Outlet page for some reason. They're both great pens, both write extremely well but the Delta is better. Also the material is absolutely gorgeous in person.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Keetron posted:

Also:
it is a shameful pen nerd who can't identify pens on sight :smug:

grack posted:

Edit: ^^^ What is it with German "school" pens and gigantic fuckoff clips?
maybe they're harder to break and less pocket-stabby

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Bigger clips are more fun to play with.

(A vintage spring-loaded Sheaffer clip is the funnest, though.)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

blowfish posted:

it is a shameful pen nerd who can't identify pens on sight :smug:

Oh, sorry, I will go and feel ashamed now. Should I throw out my pens and go write with a pencil?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Keetron posted:

Oh, sorry, I will go and feel ashamed now. Should I throw out my pens and go write with a pencil?

No. With a disposable ball point. :aaaaa:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Amazon having Iroshizuku for under twenty bucks leads to some impulsive purchase decisions. Sure, my collection needs another red.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Amazon having Iroshizuku for under twenty bucks leads to some impulsive purchase decisions. Sure, my collection needs another red.

Kon-Peki is my favourite blue ink but Diamine Asa Blue is an acceptable substitute. Funnily enough, uniball rollerballs have the prettiest stock blue ink of any pen I've ever seen.

My Man Shran posted:

Bigger clips are more fun to play with.

(A vintage spring-loaded Sheaffer clip is the funnest, though.)

Also current Waterman spring loaded clips.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I've probably written ~30 pages over the weekend so I thought I'd do a quick trip report on the Delta Dolcevita Oro (studying for a major exam at the end of November)

Note: This is the Dolcevita Oro and not the standard Dolcevita. The major differences are that the Oro uses the orange cracked ice resin for the entire pen and not just the barrel, and the trim is vermeil instead of platinum plated.

Body: Material is gorgeous in person. It's a little less translucent than I would like but having the entire pen in the orange acrylic is beautiful. Build quality is high as one would expect for the MSRP/MAP of this pen. The clip is quite stiff but still functional as it has the little rolling ball at the tip. The cap tapers out towards the opening, the body tapers down towards each end. The measurements are kind of weird. It's an average sized pen (135mm capped, 124mm open, 167mm posted) but the grip is very thick at 13mm at the narrowest point. Even though I have small hands I still find the pen extremely comfortable to use for long periods of time, mostly due to the body being very light. The cap posts securely but not deeply and makes the pen somewhat unwieldy while posted. Threads are smooth, well cut and not at all sharp. The only real disappointment in terms of the body is that there is a brass insert in the body connection to the section so eyedropper usage is probably out of the question.

Filling: I got the cartridge/converter version but a piston filler exists. The pen includes 4 black cartridges and a screw-in Delta branded converter. Converter is good quality and holds a good quantity of ink.

Nib: The nibs on all the Oros are 14k solid gold nibs. The nib I got is marked as a medium but writes much more like a Western fine which is a little surprising as my past experience with Delta nibs has been that they write fairly thick for their marked sizes. A check of the tipping under the loup confirms the tipping size - very similar to other Western fine nibs in my collection. I actually don't mind getting a fine tipped nib as it writes quite wet.

The nib is a standard #6 and is likely made by JoWo. The nib is wet, very smooth, has a good amount of spring and is very nice to write with. I've had no issues with hard starts, skipping or the nib losing prime after sitting in a case all day. While not the smoothes nib I own (that belongs to a vintage Wing Sung 400) it's damned close.

Cost: I paid an extremely low amount for the pen at ~$270 shipped to Canada which is well, well under MAP. I'm not sure I would pay MAP for the pen but at the price I paid I'm extremely happy as for that price I'd be looking at a standard Dolcevita with a steel or Delta's BS fusion nib.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Any recommendations for a red ink with good shading? Was looking at Rogue Hematite but I'm not sure I want to deal with the particles

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Xun posted:

Any recommendations for a red ink with good shading? Was looking at Rogue Hematite but I'm not sure I want to deal with the particles

What kind of red are you looking for?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

One that's pretty bright and uh, red I suppose? :v: I've already got diamine oxblood but I like doing calligraphy with lighter colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Parker Quink is pretty cheap/reliable/available/red? Here - this was done just now on 80gsm printer paper. You can see that it's starting to cut up the surface of the paper on the third pass, bottom left. But it's a good red.