Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I dunno Gryphoon maybe if you gave me some more reasons that star citizen is real and cig isn't a company full of pr disasters maybe you can change my mind.

I'm just having a hell of a time wrestling with the potential existence of a pretend spaceman game. Maybe if you invited some more reddit friends here to post we could be convinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm the venue's lighting guy who Sandi is currently emasculating.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Derek Smart is p dumb and he has no ability whatsoever to put together an argument but that just goes to show you how garbage Star Citizen is

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

KakerMix posted:

I dunno Gryphoon maybe if you gave me some more reasons that star citizen is real and cig isn't a company full of pr disasters maybe you can change my mind.

I'm just having a hell of a time wrestling with the potential existence of a pretend spaceman game. Maybe if you invited some more reddit friends here to post we could be convinced.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Wafflz posted:

- Still no FPS, they can't even make the loving crosshair work :laffo:

How do you break a crosshair in CryEngine, which is made for FPS games? :psyduck:

The FPS part should have been the easiest and quickest thing for CIG to do.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Smegbot posted:

I'll level with you, I don't know what a CCU downgrade is.

A CCU downgrade is actually a misnomer. It actually means upgrading from a Cutlass to an Avenger by spending less money.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ShredsYouSay posted:

The only real difference I see is that they crushed the blacks.

Maybe Sandi requested it.

:captainpop:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

imperialparadox posted:

How do you break a crosshair in CryEngine, which is made for FPS games? :psyduck:

The CryEngine is poo poo and CRoberts is a dumb gently caress for using it.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

imperialparadox posted:

I presume you do it by completely ripping out the core mechanics and replacing them with ones that merge first and third person animations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov posted:

Well I got $200 out of $400 back. So this is a $200 lesson. I can live with this. I've also learned never to gift things to people. Even your friends.

See you in the 'Verse! Or maybe space court.

I've learned a lot from the SC experience. About how to fleece people and how to not manage your community and sprawling multinational multi office "game" studio. A part of me would like to believe I will recoup the lost $200 later in life due to learning valuable lessons. For now I will remain a stupid sucker.

huh? why cant you get the rest back? delivered physical goods or something?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Schnabel posted:

This, so hard. If you have ships on your account that could be melted for store credit and they close your account, they're basically stealing from you at this point.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
My Paypal statement says that Nov 30 2013 is the day I got out when I received 1200 $ for my hangar. A strange feeling in hindsight.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
From RTV:

"- [Question is there a price for an unknown ship at Citizencon?] Right now no but the new ship will have LTI and the other older ships being brought back will have 3 year insurance"

This is brilliant. All those people who will melt what they have to go from 2 yr insurance to 3 year insurance. Then, if they ask for a refund, it'll be: "Well, you've melted all these things.. .so..."

I can't think of any other reason they'd go from 2 year (the previously highest insurance besides LTI) to three year if they did not want everyone to melt. Although, they will have their new CCU system going, and it likely will have you check off boxes on all new terms before the CCU can be completed. Thus, everyone will be doing it for the extra 1 year.

LTI pulls in fresh cash, because it is LTI. I don't think 3 year insurance will do that.

TLDR: My prediction: 3 year insurance is added to get people to sign new TOS to further minimize refunds.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

You can't refund things you gifted to people or that were gifted to you. The former because it's on someone else's account. The latter because they're refunding to the original payment source which the giftee does not have.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Even ubisoft unfucked cryengine with their dunia modifications with far cry 2-current.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Variable 5 posted:

This, so hard. If you have ships on your account that could be melted for store credit and they close your account, they're basically stealing from you at this point.

did she say her account was closed?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Please note that in my statement regarding Smart's credibility I compared him to Roberts. Neither would get my money.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lol at star citizen

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I know we really, really hate Sandi, but want do we actually know? A fired employee says she is racist and hate pubes? I mean c'mon.

7 former employees and 2 current ones.

Also:

I wonder how much money they dumped into this "improved lighting system"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This whole insurance business is so stupid.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Kylra posted:

You can't refund things you gifted to people or that were gifted to you. The former because it's on someone else's account. The latter because they're refunding to the original payment source which the giftee does not have.

You can get a refund if you melt everything first.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Please note that in my statement regarding Smart's credibility I compared him to Roberts. Neither would get my money.

I would personally donate thousands

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Kazy posted:

7 former employees and 2 current ones.

Also:

I wonder how much money they dumped into this "improved lighting system"

Gamma is a hard thing to do, it could take years.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

This whole insurance business is so stupid.

A stupid idea for a stupid people

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Kylra posted:

The exception being the following:

Buy and gift something worth $100 to someone

Receive something worth $100 in credit.

You still have $100 in goods spent, so can get refunded. I might be able to prove it soon enough.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Other stupid things include:

- Everything else about Star Citizen

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm cmdr Sandi wulf and this is my favorite thread in the verse

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Gerbil_Pen posted:

did she say her account was closed?

No, but the majority of refund messages from CIG posted here and elsewhere go over the fact that the account will be closed. Hers may be a special case.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Incombibulator posted:

I made it to Manchester. I'm about 10mins from the venue for the con and I'm getting slowly drunk.

Long may it reign!

I promise exclusive whale pix tomorrow for your amusement. Yes I am going fullsperg also.

FREE BEER!!

Fake edit: no sign of anyone else yet. Night is young.

Start a De-rek-Smart De-rek-Smart chant.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

BluestreakBTHR posted:

You can get a refund if you melt everything first.
You can't melt a ship on someone else's account.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

The exception being the following:

Buy and gift something worth $100 to someone

Receive something worth $100 in credit.

You still have $100 in goods spent, so can get refunded. I might be able to prove it soon enough.
I'm just going off of what I have read them say so far. This sounds like it's getting kind of complicated!

Do they like, take the gift ship off of the other person's account with no warning or something?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Gerbil_Pen posted:

From RTV:

"- [Question is there a price for an unknown ship at Citizencon?] Right now no but the new ship will have LTI and the other older ships being brought back will have 3 year insurance"

This is brilliant. All those people who will melt what they have to go from 2 yr insurance to 3 year insurance. Then, if they ask for a refund, it'll be: "Well, you've melted all these things.. .so..."

I can't think of any other reason they'd go from 2 year (the previously highest insurance besides LTI) to three year if they did not want everyone to melt. Although, they will have their new CCU system going, and it likely will have you check off boxes on all new terms before the CCU can be completed. Thus, everyone will be doing it for the extra 1 year.

LTI pulls in fresh cash, because it is LTI. I don't think 3 year insurance will do that.

TLDR: My prediction: 3 year insurance is added to get people to sign new TOS to further minimize refunds.
A master stroke by CIG

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How does insurance even work in this game. Is it like EVE where its a partial payment? Do you get your entire ship back? How will this mechanic work when you have ships worth $900?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kylra posted:

I'm just going off of what I have read them say so far. This sounds like it's getting kind of complicated!

Do they like, take the gift ship off of the other person's account with no warning or something?

None of this should matter. If you have a "total spent" amount greater than the value of the digital items in your hangar, you should be able to get a full refund of everything still in your hangar. To refund any less and to close the account as they seem to insist on doing is literally theft.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How does insurance even work in this game. Is it like EVE where its a partial payment? Do you get your entire ship back? How will this mechanic work when you have ships worth $900?

Who knows, the game for it doesn't exist

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

theultimo posted:

Who knows, the game for it doesn't exist

Yea pretty much

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You get the base hull and what ever stock modules came with that hull, unless you upgrade your insurance then magic happens.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Variable 5 posted:

None of this should matter. If you have a "total spent" amount greater than the value of the digital items in your hangar, you should be able to get a full refund of everything still in your hangar. To refund any less and to close the account as they seem to insist on doing is literally theft.
I agree. I just figured in this kind of case they would refund the partial amount less gifts and leave the account open.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Variable 5 posted:

No it's not.

It's fraud.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Revelation 2-13 posted:

This is a real hard sell for me. I'm not doubting some of the stuff he says is correct, but he is not exactly a credible source in general, and most of his "big reveals" have been pretty lacklustre. Every time there has been a 'guys, my next story REALLY drops the sweet, sweet dirt on CIG', it has been completely underwhelming. Are we saying this because he sorta predicted some of the layoffs back when? Or did I miss something? I think I followed all of his reveals.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is doing gods work here, but credible source, he is not (in my opinion).

Also, sorry about going against the consesus again here guys, but you don't have to some sort of tenacious gumshoe/investigative journalist, breaking the case WIDE OPEN, in order to know that if you are claiming someone did actual criminal poo poo, you should have more than some anonymous sources and heresay. Even if you can't corroborate your story outside that type of stuff (you might want to run it regardless), you should most definitely get statements and clarifications from those implicated.

I know we really, really hate Sandi, but want do we actually know? A fired employee says she is racist and hate pubes? I mean c'mon.

Certainly there is enough stuff to be worried about, especially the seemingly completely imcompetent project-management (and possibly financial management) and CIG, I'm not disagreeing there - but the main indicator of that for me is not Dsmart, nor the escapist article, but rather the CIG reaction to these things.

Derek Smart doesn't get into arguments slowly, that's why :lesnick: criticising him in public was such a terrible idea. They could have achieved the same result, disarming him by refunding him by saying bland nice things. "It's unfortunate that Derek Smart obviously is not comfortable backing the game anymore and as a gesture of good will we are in the process of completely refunded him. If he wishes to return once Star Citizen is released and in a state to be judged by him, we will gladly reactive his account then if he should so wish. I would ask all backers to respect he has a right to his opinion but we will not be commenting further on this".

But they did the stupid instead so there's probably a lot of spin on what he says, it's hard to believe that CIG are holding an event tomorrow with over 100 staff, selling $900 pictures of space ships and will be out of business in 90 days (Something Derek has said). However even if he's spinning and 90 days is way overselling it, if the situation is only half as bad as he says, then making release, or release with a decent game is incredibly unlikely. If CIG closes in 180 days or 360 days, there's not really going to be a playable game as promised out by then.

You also have the issue of why someone inside CIG is still leaking stuff, like the ship sale tomorrow and the rumoured increase in price since Derek leaked it. Why are there so many unhappy staff and why would you seek to damage the company you work for, unless something was unusually wrong even for a game development company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You can supposedly insure almost everything. For the things they are selling, it is XX years or months worth of in-game time I believe. In game time is X times faster than real-time, so maybe "1 year of insurance" is 1000 hours of gameplay. If the ship is destroyed, you get queued up for a "new" ship that reflects roughly the same wear and tear of the original before it was destroyed or something like that. You can then pay additional insurance for upgrades. cargo, etc.

Kylra posted:

No, they will remove a ship from your account as long as it matches the refund amount.

This is my experience, but then again many people have taken very different approaches to asking for refunds.

• Locked thread