Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
question. why are dumb people excited about a crappy FPS section when THE MAIN GAME, THE loving SPACE COMBAT doesn't even exist or function?! I mean holy poo poo where's the space fighters and ships duking it out, you know, the REASON why people backed SCROTUMBERTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

There's a lot to hate, but I think most of all I hate the color palette. I'm not a trained artist by any means but it's hard to imagine trained artists signing off on the most horribly drab, gray, lifeless, generic space station imaginable in year of our lord 2015

Yeah, everyone is faceless and dressed in an uniform dark gray or black spacesuit.

Why are they even in black spacesuits, since SC is so particularly about physics, shouldn't they be in anti-flash white like a Stormtrooper? Hope you don't go out into space, space marine, you'd probably cook like an egg or a potato in tinfoil.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

question. why are dumb people excited about a crappy FPS section when THE MAIN GAME, THE loving SPACE COMBAT doesn't even exist or function?!

beggars can't be choosers

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm the N64 era fog.
Can't WAIT for the Turok crossover announcement

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I said come in! posted:

This game has gone from selling a dream to selling a nightmare.

no, it hasn't moved perpendicular, just lateral. it went from selling a dream of a game, to selling a dream of getting to watch rome burn

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
You know what's prolly gonna happen

MAYBE a single player Squadron 42 game will come out. It will be mediocre, at best an 80 out of 100. Will be on PC, Xbox, PS4.

The MMO will not be able to be produced. MAYBE some company will buy the rights to it, and it will basically be turned into "world of starships" like "world of tanks" and MAYBE people who bought ships will get access to some sort of equivalent ship in "world of starships" but that's UNLIKELY to happen I think because there's just too much of a development mess and general bad vibes & negativity, so it will probably be a class action lawsuit or even a criminal FTC case or some poo poo like that.

The only thing that could probably be done to recover ANY money is to make a docudrama in the style of Startup.com, basically a documentary with reenactments with all the real people to "tell the story" and people will probably want to pay to see it. THAT money will then be paid back to backers as part of a class action lawsuit, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Croberts still makes some money off such a movie.

However if Croberts and crew did / are doing all kinds of illegal or repulsive poo poo like buying expensive luxuries with backer money I can't see them wanting to actually reenact that on screen.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The demo looks like something 3DMark would have put out ten years ago to test and punish a PC.
Instead it just tests our patience and punishes our tastes.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

I'm not sure it will be enough. This look lovely enough even the faith militant might figure it out.

I sincerely believe they would have been better off cancelling CitizenCon if this is what they have to show. There is no way to ignore how bad it looks. I bet even Octopode experienced a moment of doubt watching that (before it was immediately suppressed).

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Lodin posted:

The demo looks like something 3DMark would have put out ten years ago to test and punish a PC.
Instead it just tests our patience and punishes our tastes.

:eyepop:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
That would be pretty funny if the best anyone got out of all the 90 million in donations for a starship game was a loving first person shooter.

Maybe one of the playable characters can be the 900 dollar endeavor you saved all your weed money for, and you get kills just by dragging your mouse around as people get smashed against the hull

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

Zyloh posted:

I would also like to point out that this was made by a couple QA testers and a Producer just today while play-testing a build. This was not meant to be a grand trailer for FPS, but more-so some fun clips we put together in excitement for tomorrow. :)

According to them anyway.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Eonwe posted:

lets think back to Archeage launch

everyone had a wonderful time playing a terrible lovely janky pay to win game, it was wonderful

It turns out BobFromMarketing played Archeage with us. I didn't know who this dude was, neither did a lot of people. Some goons, however, knew him because he was outed as being a pedophile who groomed an icelandic teenager for sex. This was brought to the attention of the guild leaders, and a screencap of the goon guild leader was taken with him saying that 'it was a long time ago and wasnt even in America.' They wanted to keep him because he provided a lot of virtual wool for the guild (im not loving kidding). There were even attempts to sneak him back into the guild under a different name.

Naturally, a lot of goons found this really loving disgusting. I, Kimsemus, Stormgale, and a few other people started raising hell and eventually after a lot of drama and Imp Zone invasions the guild leader stepped down. (Sidenote: I used to be just a regular boring whitenoise poster before this, but I thought the imps were funny and thats why I started being a shitposting whitenoise poster instead.) In any case, the guild leader chose one of his friends to be a guild leader which didn't make anyone too happy, but he was an alright guy. Unfortunately, his dad got really sick so he just stopped coming on. He remained guild leader, so there was absolutely no real leadership. The guild had no real guild leader in his absence, just a bunch of officers. This led to some pretty awesome drama, including Kimsemus being kicked out of Goonrathi/EVE Goons

The reason Kimsemus is no longer in the EVE guild or the Star Citizen guild is because of the following:

Some of the officers wanted everyone to raise money by fishing. If you went out in the ocean you could play a lovely rhythm minigame to catch fish and turn them in for gold. The ocean was open PvP and if you were fishing you were basically really loving vulnerable. Some of the officers basically decided to ally with LITERALLY ANYONE SITTING IN THE OCEAN FISHING. Yes, you understood that right. They decided to make a well known alliance with any person in the loving ocean who had a fishing pole basically. This is despite the fact that since launch some Goons had been pirating and that was the main reason they played the game. This included Kimsemus. He was basically a PvP dude, and went around on his boat with goons and killed people.

Dabigredboat is one of the fishing pact goons and he got super mad at Kimsemus for goonfucking (by PvPing in an open PvP zone and killing pubbies). He used his influence to get Kimsemus and Lincoln kicked out of both EVE Goons and Goonrathi because he was super loving mad at video game fishing in a lovely korean MMO. As far as Anders goes? I don't know why Anders cares so much but he seems to really not like Kimsemus.

Anyway every director other than Anders I've talked to has basically said they don't care about Kimsemus and wouldn't really care if he was in except for Anders. Beer seems to not really care period either to be fair.

Free Kimsemus from this mortal coil.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
You know, I was thinking, I want a space sim game that has low-poly graphics (like freelancer 1 or 2) but SUPER crisp and smooth, Imagine, with 90 mil, you can make a kickass high-res 1080p Voodoo2/PS1 graphics style space combat game, and invest the money into an AMAZING multiplayer and server infrastructure, you can have hundreds if not thousands of ships on screen at once with a super interesting aesthetic and sensibility with Bangai-O levels of missile density without it crashing. It sure beats this boring grey on grey poo poo.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Al-Saqr posted:

question. why are dumb people excited about a crappy FPS section when THE MAIN GAME, THE loving SPACE COMBAT doesn't even exist or function?! I mean holy poo poo where's the space fighters and ships duking it out, you know, the REASON why people backed SCROTUMBERTS.

Because it is something. It also means that 'Hey, the FPS portion isn't that important, so they're definitely working on the space portion!'

Well, at least in their minds.

McDowell posted:

Citizenship must be earned

lmao

It says that you're above the other plebs who didn't pay for the game. That you have earned your citizenship where others have not. From a culty-marketing standpoint its great. To everyone else, it is a great big joke.

Maldoror posted:

You know what's prolly gonna happen

MAYBE a single player Squadron 42 game will come out. It will be mediocre, at best an 80 out of 100. Will be on PC, Xbox, PS4.

The MMO will not be able to be produced. MAYBE some company will buy the rights to it, and it will basically be turned into "world of starships" like "world of tanks" and MAYBE people who bought ships will get access to some sort of equivalent ship in "world of starships" but that's UNLIKELY to happen I think because there's just too much of a development mess and general bad vibes & negativity, so it will probably be a class action lawsuit or even a criminal FTC case or some poo poo like that.

The problem is, at this point, I don't think anyone really wants Squadron 42. If that just came out, everyone (well, maybe not the original kickstarter backers) will be furious. They want to spend literally the rest of their lives playing it. Or playing it for years, if not decades. Anything less than what they've promised will not fly, because of the 'true believer' nature of the fan base. They have absolutely backed themselves into a corner. They need to sell more and more, but at the same time they are not toning down the scope. Because they can't. Because they need more money. That's the only way they are thinking right now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What's the absolute max someone has spent on this game so far? Like $40k+? Because I just came across a site that totals the cost of every game on Steam. $90k for ~7,500 games.

Which would you rather do: Have a game that doesn't/may not ever exist, or have half of all the PC games out there? Or really any PC game you could feasibly ever want or have time to finish, since many of the 7500 have been shovelware lately. It's a tough decision.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Al-Saqr posted:

You know, I was thinking, I want a space sim game that has low-poly graphics (like freelancer 1 or 2) but SUPER crisp and smooth, Imagine, with 90 mil, you can make a kickass high-res 1080p Voodoo2/PS1 graphics style space combat game, and invest the money into an AMAZING multiplayer and server infrastructure, you can have hundreds if not thousands of ships on screen at once with a super interesting aesthetic and sensibility with Bangai-O levels of missile density without it crashing. It sure beats this boring grey on grey poo poo.

Freelancer 2.0 is what they were originally pitching.

But then it accidentally turned out exactly like Freelancer so we're waiting on Microsoft or someone to finish the game. Thus completing the cycle.

But that probably wont happen because they already pissed away the bulk of what might have been considered their profit potential.

Imagine how much happier Chris would have been if he just banged out an amazing 30-40 million dollar game and had 50 million left over.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Variable 5 posted:

Trained artists are the $150m stretch goal.

What's important is that Charmin Roberts signed off on it, right after he chose the laces on the boots.

Right after he wiped his rear end with it.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3o62mm/star_marine_citizencon_teaser/cvuhwwf

quote:

[–]Please_Label_NSFWVice Admiral 3 points 51 minutes ago
Surprisingly very unimpressive...
The progress is far lower than I thought it would be.
Edit: Illfonic really show their inexperience here.

Emphasis mine

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I'm just saying...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 10, 2015

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

kordansk posted:

Right after he wiped his rear end with it.

:thejoke:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
My predictions, some of which are pretty obvious:

1) a dumb reference to Escapist/Derek Smart along the lines of "we've been getting a lot of attention in the media lately..."

2) the phrase "rallying cry" will be used

3) repeatedly mentioning that they've "layed the foundations" so things will start moving a lot faster soon!

4) an emphasis on how Star Citizen is meant to be a "cinematic experience", mainly because SQ42 cutscenes are the meat of the presentation.

5) at some point an air-horn will be heard in the background

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
I've seen better demos on the UE4 forums of kids trying to recruit people to make the next great game where they get paid in royalties after the game is released....

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
doom 3 came out 11 years ago

Oct 6, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Eonwe posted:

9. Kimsemus and thatguy will be freed
If these two are still banned from this fake videogame org if/when this non-game ever becomes a real game, I'm going to make them honored guest officers on my destroyer and let them control the big guns when we repeatedly rape-grief Beer and all his twitch-impaired fuckwit spreadsheet club friends off the server.

Oh wait i forgot all you weak-willed wageslaves begged for your meager donations back so you won't even be able to play in the big boy lawless instances for like 2 and a half years as you all grind up from 30 day insurance aurora LXs. Lol metagamed you loving retards, suck my destroyer cock hailsandi... err Satan.

AvatarOfBolrog fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 10, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Neurotic Jew posted:

My predictions

Yes, more, more.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

If these two are still banned from this fake videogame org if/when this non-game ever becomes a real game I'm going to make them guest officers on my destroyer and let them control the big guns when we rape-grief Beer and all his twitch-impaired fuckwit spreadsheet club friends off the server.

How have you not been re-banned yet you creepy twit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Someone hasn't been reading the thread...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Id-nlHjvZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553mTYXSGPU

Elite:Dangerous is a game that already exists and you can go out and play it now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kordansk posted:

I've seen better demos on the UE4 forums of kids trying to recruit people to make the next great game where they get paid in royalties after the game is released....

I've made better looking UE3 games

I also like their response of it being something put together for fun by the QA team. So the big video to get people hyped up for the convention was thrown together by people who should have been testing it? Or was it assembled out of bug report videos? And that if they hadn't made this, your marketing team would have not put anything out? And that this looked good enough that your marketing department said this is a good representation of our game?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

D_Smart posted:

Star Marine CitCon trailer is live! Same poo poo from GAMESCOM pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_SL4Mb5Yhc

Why would you release this? They used a really high, unappealing FoV that makes it look all fish-eyed. The editing of the shots is nonsensical. You have some shots that are barely on screen long enough for you to register them before it cuts to the next. The shot transitions seem to switch between straight cuts and fades seemingly at random - you even have some transitions that go from a straight cut to a fade which looks really strange. Also, i might be crazy but i think the camera for the final shot keeps stopping and starting instead of moving at a constant speed. The cinematography is poorly thought out and the art design is so bland that i had trouble following what was going on, it took me a couple of watches to realise the guys doing the slit throat emote weren't the people we were following the rest of the time. On top of that, they either didn't notice or care about showing all the glitches like the jittering animations and flickering from the aliasing, they just left that stuff in there.

This looks like the product of a person who has never edited a video before, who also lacks any common sense. I thought Chris Roberts made movies? You have a $90 million smoke and mirrors machine, and you can't even be bothered to keep the illusion up with the media you choose to show your marks?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is it me or are parts of his elbow rotating through the animation cycle?
It looks like someone didn't clean up their mo-cap data or check to see what was being re-targeted to what so the elbow pad is linked right into the elbow joint and is rotating thanks to whatever junk data wasn't cleaned up from the motion capture.

I mean this is web-tutorial-101 stuff here, anyone who is a character animator or rigger should know this stuff. This is at best RnD testing to stress test the model and find out flaws.

Keep in mind with all the glossy vids at E3 or other tradeshows, it's a frantic crunch time to deliver the best smoke and mirrors act. It has to look fantastic and deliver to expectations for the investors, publishers and fans.

The big challenge is these things are being put together from early development builds so every bug will have to be carefully hidden. So if a custom demo level is made massive corners are cut to get it ready, should the player dare turn around you'd see missing walls and skyboxes.

So what you see in most demos have been locked down to work flawlessly with the presentation. The presenter will have gone through rehearsals with notes like "do not open that door, it leads to an empty void and will crash looking for missing assets" or "don't walk down that corridor, you'll fall through the floor".
A common backup is to have a pre-recorded video to mime to. Black Flag for instance fell back to their pre-recorded video because they had graphic bugs that cropped up enough times that they didn't want to take a chance.

If anyone presented what CIG did at their last convention that would have been major concerns for any backers or publishers to move in and start demanding what is going on.
No one is going to buy "oh well this worked fine in LA" before you cut the presentation because you've hit another unrecoverable crash.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

The Glumslinger posted:

I've made better looking UE3 games

I also like their response of it being something put together for fun by the QA team. So the big video to get people hyped up for the convention was thrown together by people who should have been testing it? Or was it assembled out of bug report videos? And that if they hadn't made this, your marketing team would have not put anything out? And that this looked good enough that your marketing department said this is a good representation of our game?

All marketing efforts are currently concentrated on making new ship jpegs.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
90 mil seems like a deal.

My question is, how much do we pay for the speech pack?

I dont know if my PC can harness all of the bytes.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm the N64 era fog.

I'll take a GoldenEye port tbh.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

CJ posted:

This looks like the product of a person who has never edited a video before, who also lacks any common sense. I thought Chris Roberts made movies? You have a $90 million smoke and mirrors machine, and you can't even be bothered to keep the illusion up with the media you choose to show your marks?

This is what happens when you fire all your producers.

Oct 6, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Wulfling posted:

Buy bitcoin today!

Oct 6, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Wulfling posted:

Also Seraph84 will be hiring top talent in this video game with real money so be ready for all your best members to get poached by someone willing to pay them what they're worth*, suckers. This verse is loving Seraph84's, so it's good that all the quitter low Income beta males are bailing out early.

Guess what if you're poor enough that you actually care about getting a refund, than you were destined to be a pvp non-factor anyway. You don't matter because you're a slave lacking even the basic freedom to play video games 50+ hours per week. Sorry truth hurts losers.

*in btc ofc

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

motorocker posted:

The base English pack with 100 words is $50. But you'll probably want to buy a few Speech Expansion Packs. And don't worry, you can resell any duplicate words you get.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

motorocker posted:

Don't worry, they spent six figures on a linguist to make three alien languages. You can pre-purchase a jpeg of him.

CJ posted:

Chris Roberts made a lovely lovely movie, Wing Commander. So bad that people just bought tickets for the SW: Episode I trailer. He is a producer on others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Also I'm going to be hiring top talent in this video game do be ready for all your best members to get poached by someone willing to pay them what their worth, suckers. This verse is loving mine just kill yourselves preemptively now.

The game will never come out

So...

• Locked thread