Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

I can't believe they have the nerve to say that what they showed is the first iteration of FPS. When they demoed the FPS on publicly playable machines earlier this year. What happened to that?

What goons who have networking/UE4 knowledge want to pool our talents together to make a VERY basic proof-of-concept UE4 game that uses a commercially available MMO netcode (the name escapes me but there are a few that are pre-built for UE4 integration) combined with a local physics grid to make a game that:

1. Is first person, with weapons you can shoot
2. Has hollow cubes that have their own local physics grid you can walk around inside as they orient in whatever direction
3. Said cubes have chairs you can sit in and use to steer the cube
4. Can run with a large number of clients simultaneously (using the MMO netcode)

I'm pretty confident this can be accomplished in at least a month's time. Granted there are larger issues like 64-bit conversion (UE4 uses level streaming for large worlds, but this doesn't work for multiplayer games) but the barebone system for how the game should function, when you break it down, is within reach.

I kinda stopped working in UE4 because I got really pissed off trying to figure out network issues relating to having a character be able to walk on walls/the ceiling, but I think it might have been a bug in the engine itself. I basically was just turning off gravity for the player and applying xyz forces for movement, which worked perfectly fine for the host, but no matter what I did to get it to replicate on clients would get it to work because for some reason gravity being turned off wasn't being replicated.

When do we make the drink serving minigame for the cubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 6, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Synchronized posted:

I can't imagine what's going on in the heads of people that put money beyond what they're willing to lose into it though. Some of the guys who I've spoken to who have actually borrowed to put money in or other such nonsense especially.
Sunk-cost fallacy. 8 out of 10 fools opening a small business will fail catastrophically for the same reason, and most of them will be financially ruined after one or two such attempts.

If they're lucky, these cretins will crawl back to their miserable corporate chain jobs with their heads hung low and their tail between their legs, while those of us sharp enough to see how rigged the game is will continue making fortunes bending and/or breaking the rules, which no true capitalist respects. And if they're unlucky? If they can't support their family or worse can't even get laid? Well folks, there's a reason the next mass-shooting is always just around the corner.

Also, we outlaws get to facefuck your hot daughters in their late teens - when the pussyfruit is ripest - because we are cool and dangerous and athletic. How does that make you feel?

AvatarOfBolrog fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 10, 2015

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Synchronized posted:

I would never put money into an unmade spaceship game that I wasn't willing to see disappear.
Must be nice to able to be willing to see 10k disappear.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I like how this post goes from funny to nutso and back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW9E6XzfDbg

It's interesting what hobbyists are doing in the engine man, CIG not ditching Cryengine is their biggest problem outside of being con artists.

The drink maker comes next, using next generation voxel and particle physics to dynamically melt the icecubes in a water simulation. This is crucial.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

The Glumslinger posted:

Your better off taking that 10k and burning it, atleast it'll keep your house warm this winter

And just because there are bigger idiots with more wasted money doesnt mean you made a good decision

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying I made a good decision. Just that for me its a neutral one due to my personal circumstances. Believe me, this is the last place where I'm gonna argue about my spending decision being good.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Synchronized posted:

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying I made a good decision. Just that for me its a neutral one due to my personal circumstances. Believe me, this is the last place where I'm gonna defend my spending decisions.

No you are currently making bad decisions. It's not really even about the amount. This would be different if you couldn't get the money back.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Synchronized posted:

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying I made a good decision. Just that for me its a neutral one due to my personal circumstances. Believe me, this is the last place where I'm gonna argue about my spending decision being good.

Just pull out, Man. The game is going to have spaceships to buy when it is released regardless.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Synchronized posted:

Like others have said, look at it this way: what do you gain by having all these ships right now, when if you REALLY wanted them, you could have them all later if/when the game is released? You have all the risk but no reward.

That, and, you know, it's loving retarded to spend that much on a video game. You could buy a brand new motorcycle.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
what wonder what ben is doing right that this exact moment in time

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Sedisp posted:

No you are currently making bad decisions. It's not really even about the amount. This would be different if you couldn't get the money back.

You're right, objectively and from a personal profit standpoint it is a bad decision. It was a gut decision because it was something I really wanted to see turn out well. Emotional decisions aren't the best ones.

I'll probably pull out.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
CitizenCon

lol

Could there be a more ironically fitting name

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Synchronized posted:

You're right, objectively and from a personal profit standpoint it is a bad decision. It was a gut decision because it was something I really wanted to see turn out well. Emotional decisions aren't the best ones.

I'll probably pull out.

It's good that you see it that way but you shouldn't even question it, you WILL pull out, there is 0 reason to have any money in a game before it is released. And be honest to yourself, you might say you pledge money because you want to see the project be a success, but you know deep down you are excited to be able to use all those different ships you paid for more than just being able to play the game period.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Synchronized posted:

You could save a child's life, send your kids to college for a semester, buy a kickass TAME DOMESTICTED FOX. I mean so many awesome things you can do with 10k man pull out!

Oct 6, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Synchronized posted:

I'll probably pull out.
Quitters never win, and pull-outers never end up with cool stories about burying pregnant hookers in the desert under the hot Arizona sun.

Oct 6, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Maldoror posted:

CitizenCon

lol

Overeaters anonymous? Weight watchers annual meeting?

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Justin Tyme posted:

It's good that you see it that way but you shouldn't even question it, you WILL pull out, there is 0 reason to have any money in a game before it is released. And be honest to yourself, you might say you pledge money because you want to see the project be a success, but you know deep down you are excited to be able to use all those different ships you paid for more than just being able to play the game period.

Oh absolutely haha, I wasn't trying to indicate that my decision was altruistic. I wanted to see it turn out well and I wanted to have the maximum fun I could get out of it as easily as possible. At the end of the day it was purely an entertainment decision, to maximize the enjoyment I could get out of it.

Shame that it seems like its not gonna be fun, which is really the unforgivable part.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Synchronized posted:

I'll probably pull out.

Good. You better post pics of their CSR begging you to stay.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

I found this spaceship mpeg behind my couch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S01H7NIAd4

This is good.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Overeaters anonymous? Weight watchers annual meeting?

Autism Awareness Con?

Cultists Ball?

Chris Roberts Dick Sucking Contest?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Maldoror posted:

CitizenCon

lol

Oh God the Smell. Ben Fries an Entire Cheesecake.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Synchronized posted:

I'll probably pull out.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

I didn't realize Space Court was guarded by Jian heavies!

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
CIG is their own worst enemy. If they actually released content instead of shilling more concept art to potential marks consumers they would have the faith of individuals in here willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Instead it is the same ridiculous cycle of Ben being loving stupid, CIG releasing more concept art, and never committing to a real date for release, and never actually holding themselves accountable for missing dates.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Synchronized posted:

I dunno, I might cash out. I've been considering it, I'll watch for a bit longer I guess. I just meant to say that if I do lose it, its okay. I would never put money into an unmade spaceship game that I wasn't willing to see disappear. Of course there are guys that have put in 50K+, for what purpose, I don't know. If they can afford it whatever, I guess.

I can't imagine what's going on in the heads of people that put money beyond what they're willing to lose into it though. Some of the guys who I've spoken to who have actually borrowed to put money in or other such nonsense especially.

I suggest you pull out now, they might change their stance later on.

also don't let this game be the reason you will not trust upcoming space games, which might very well be good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Thanks for keeping my cool 80s shades dude in my avatar I appreciate it. I'd hate to have to work overtime to pay for its replacement at Denny's

No joke, what the gently caress is wrong with you? Sure if 10k is nothing then 10k is nothing, but if you are the type of person to pursue 'investments' then you have some sort of appreciation for 'money' and the processes that create it. Which means that 10k could be used to make more 10ks. There are space games available right now that you can play that don't cost 10k. There are activities you can do irl for 10k that would blow away any sort of space game real or imagined.

What the gently caress is wrong with people to somehow lose their concept of video game to some sort of sunk-cost loyalty sink that sucks away money and they still go 'I dunno I might lose literally nothing if I stop supporting it.' Either Star Citizen is going to come out or it isn't, no one person has any say in the matter so do the capitalist thing and pull your money the gently caress out and let some other fantastic moron burn.

It's video games you guys, what the poo poo. I've been deep into Minecraft of all things for the last 5 years and even I know that it's all a big hilarious joke no matter how business it gets.

EDIT
I read the thread's reactions to the Star Marine footage and I went 'it cant be that bad' and then I watched it and went 'lol it is that bad'.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 10, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I think Darian just receive memo from Sandi lol

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 10, 2015

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
With CitizenCon 2015 arriving, I decided to go back and look at last year's video so we can compare the two. While I was at it I grabbed caps of the slides of their powerpoint presentation. I figured this will all be relevant so we can look back at see all the amazing promises that have been kept.

So at CitizenCon 2014 they showed off:

Multicrew ship demo vid (previously seen)
Race module info (previously seen and IIRC in game at this point)
Assorted studio video updates
Gladius (now playable)
The AI test bed
the big SQ42 mining platform
Cutlass commercial and variants
Their 3d ship viewer for the site (happened but not to the level they showed off)
The 890 Jump
Constellation Commercial
The early development of the star map stuff
Character outfit concept art
A montage of QA's favorite bugs
The Constellation jump / atmospheric / landing demo
ArcCorp walkaround demo (now playable)

Santa Monica poo poo here

F42 poo poo

Arena Commander update promises, primarily tweaks

Web updates. I think the new front page happened.

Austin

Roadmap that is now laughably incorrect: ArcCorp walkaround ("planetside launch") only so far

A reminder that they've made $34mil since then

As far as I can tell, the only items shown off and/or promised that have gone on to be released to the client are the Gladius and the ArcCorp walkaround stuff, as well as Arena Commander tweaks.

Oh and the new web page.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 10, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

I lost it at Spacie Post, well done

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

KakerMix posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people to somehow lose their concept of video game to some sort of sunk-cost loyalty sink that sucks away money and they still go 'I dunno I might lose literally nothing if I stop supporting it.'

If you did ask for a refund, that'd be admitting that you spent money on something that wasn't worth it, which would be admitting that you can be wrong. Given that we're the kind of people that post on forums, that's pretty loving hard for a lot of us.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's funny is if this was an actual game like any other, and a company charged that amount of money for DLC people would flip their poo poo.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Also, we outlaws get to facefuck your hot daughters in their late teens - when the pussyfruit is ripest - because we are cool and dangerous and athletic. How does that make you feel?

Wtf is this bullshit

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Michymech posted:

Wtf is this bullshit

He posts as well as he capitalisms

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

EminusSleepus posted:

I think Darian just remove a memo from Sandi lol

I think my favorite thing out of all this is the "Sandi hates pubes" meme

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Michymech posted:

Wtf is this bullshit

Welcome to the Star Citizen thread :)

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

uh

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I like how you're crazy enough to think humans are biologically programmed to gently caress kids.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Cool, just reminded me of FATAL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLlbVW-VA0

It and SC are kinda similar, now that I think about it. They're both giant clusterfucks filled with useless details that their creators thought was cooler than actual gameplay, and both never got completed.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

Sunk-cost fallacy. 8 out of 10 fools opening a small business will fail catastrophically for the same reason, and most of them will be financially ruined after one or two such attempts.

If they're lucky, these cretins will crawl back to their miserable corporate chain jobs with their heads hung low and their tail between their legs, while those of us sharp enough to see how rigged the game is will continue making fortunes bending and/or breaking the rules, which no true capitalist respects. And if they're unlucky? If they can't support their family or worse can't even get laid? Well folks, there's a reason the next mass-shooting is always just around the corner.

quoting for ban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EminusSleepus posted:

I think Darian just receive memo from Sandi lol

Why do all the fatties have beards now?

• Locked thread