Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

Also, I think you'd have to feed it from a reel-to-reel deck for Maximum Realness™

Reel-to-Reel Makes It Sound Real™ :v:

I'm about to move into a new apartment and my current plan is to just make a 2x4 frame that fills up my biggest shared wall and wrap it in moving blankets, then stack all my bookshelves in front of it. That should give me reasonable sound isolation and echo cancelling right? I know I can't blast Inception at 1am or anything, I'm just looking for a good combination of cheap/easy/effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

How would you even know which $75k speakers actually sound the best? Have you tried them all?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BigFactory posted:

Oh to be rich.

And gullible.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fart simpson posted:

How would you even know which $75k speakers actually sound the best? Have you tried them all?

'Best' is subjective.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Obviously the best expensive speakers are either the ones you already have or the ones you're considering buying, which might be even better than the ones you already have.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Welcome to the world of audiophiles.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

88h88 posted:

Welcome to the world of audiophiles.

Sounds like something Pinhead would say

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

88h88 posted:

If I had silly money I'd without doubt load up on some B&O mainly because they're the one company out there combining tech with beautiful looking designs. Yeah for about half the price I could get comparable sound but I'd have a room full of speaker boxes of various sizes, huge monoblock amplifiers, 'transport' and miles of cabling. I'd much rather have something that looks like a piece of art which has the capability to sound wonderful too...

...but then I'm a sucker for minimalist looking stuff.

They're the company you go to if you have lots of cash and you care about aesthetics. If you don't have lots of cash or you don't care about aesthetics then you've got plenty of other choice.

And before I get accused of rampant fanboyism they've made some awful products over the years and I've played with a lot of them but the general range is decent and the top end stuff really really nice, certainly a long way from the Bose comparison in terms of performance, build quality and design.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

Their site is from the nineties, but the speakers sound great and are pretty unobtrusive looking, especially if they're wall mounted. I have the MMG W's and they're really good for a smaller room with no treatment, they would sound great in a proper room.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

qirex posted:

I think B&O is still the only company to release a WiSA [non-sucky wireless surround] home theater system and those ICEPower amps are in a lot of high-end monoblocks and stereo amps.

The Sonos wireless 5.1 setup pretty good, you just drop a couple of the 1's wherever you need them, and it works with your existing receiver.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

synthetik posted:

The Sonos wireless 5.1 setup pretty good, you just drop a couple of the 1's wherever you need them, and it works with your existing receiver.

Yeah, for all the flak Sonos deserves for their pricing and middling sound quality, they've really nailed the slickness factor.

The way their system works is exactly how wireless surround should work.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

Exactly. My biggest complaint about Sonos is the pricing, everything else works as advertised. I have a bunch of HR824s in the studio, but the rest of the house has Sonos speakers throughout. Quality is fine, volume is good, and the zoning and control options are perfect.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love the idea of multiroom audio with configurable segmentation and that sort of thing, but all of the systems on the market are just way too expensive.

For that reason alone, I have high hopes for the upcoming party mode or multi-room mode of the Chromecast Audio.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I use a pair of headphones I bought for 500 DKK ($100). They sound perfect to me except for a weird high pitch on the left side.

I also play in a big band.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I love the idea of multiroom audio with configurable segmentation and that sort of thing, but all of the systems on the market are just way too expensive.

For that reason alone, I have high hopes for the upcoming party mode or multi-room mode of the Chromecast Audio.

As it stands right now, it's absolutely an all or nothing - I realize that I'm basically committed at this point to a specific brand, and that's bothersome to an extant. With Win10 though, I can play directly to the speakers without using the app, so maybe in the future I'll be able to mix and match, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Boiled Water posted:

I use a pair of headphones I bought for 500 DKK ($100). They sound perfect to me except for a weird high pitch on the left side.

I also play in a big band.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

synthetik posted:

I have Play:1s in my bedroom but the soundbar only takes optical in which is stupid and the pricing of the soundbar and sub are kind of hilarious. Plus tons of lag. WiSA is a promising-looking but still nascent system that supports any speakers and uses auto-calibration to time-lock everything and only adds 6 miliseconds of delay.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

This is goddamn awesome and I will tolerate no ill treatment of that man :colbert:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I agree. What I didn't say was that if I had $75k to spend, I'd spend $70k on the room and acoustic consultants and $5k on gear to build something from the (under)ground up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What am I even looking at? :psyduck:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

What am I even looking at? :psyduck:

I believe that's an underfloor subwoofer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yep, this is the room its under

http://www.royaldevice.com/useless.htm

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TIMG dude.

And thanks for the link, that site is 100% pro-click.

From the "end of days" banner-ad at the top, the geo-cities like layout, and the Google Translate level english, this site pegged my bullshit meter almost immediately.

This is my favorite:

http://www.royaldevice.com/asse%20trascendente%20SPDIF-eng.htm

quote:

The ACCELERATORE ADIMENSIONALE cannot be opened. It is completely sealed and to open it it needs an OXIGEN flame or blaze. In that case you destroy it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
He has what looks like a shitload of custom, made to order stereo equipment, all matching with fancy stainless steel and acrylic enclosures. Then what looks like an off-the-shelf 1980s Pioneer EQ. lol

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

3x ACCELERATORE ADIMENSIONALE

one of the A-DIMENSIONAL SUBATOMIC PARTICLE complete passive ACCELERATOR (ACCELERATORE ADIMENSIONALE) for SPDIF data transmission used into the audio room

the operation of the new accelerator SINGLE decoded and inspired by a crop circle.

They're the levitating metal cylinders on the right.

Edit: Dude has something you never usually see in an audiophile's listening room - musical instruments. And it's full of them!

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 8, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The best bit about that ACCELERATORE is that the blurb basically suggests it's a time machine...

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Edit: Dude has something you never usually see in an audiophile's listening room - musical instruments. And it's full of them!

That's the first thing I noticed too. Why the gently caress does he have his drums in the same room as his hifi system? Wouldn't the sharp edges of the drums/cymbals undo all the careful postioning of the speakers?

Not to mention, isn't the aspect of music that audiophiles are least interested in is the, well, music?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This thread at the Computer Audiophile forums went off the rails quickly.

Apparently, the output from specific files changes depending how it was stored, and two completely identical files with identical checksums will sound different from each other, because the checksum programs only look at the data, not the actual recorded waveform/magnetic information (because it's all analog once you dig deep enough) on the physical media :psyduck:

My brain hurts now.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

My brain hurts now.

It's probably due to all the frozen jitter in your brain.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

welp,
"I seem to remember sandyk/Alex telling us that the esteemed Martin Colloms has found that bit-identical still image files look different when compared to each other, if different power supplies were in use when the files were written to storage."

this has to be a joke?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

I think they actually believe all of that nonsense, though :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

This thread at the Computer Audiophile forums went off the rails quickly.

Apparently, the output from specific files changes depending how it was stored, and two completely identical files with identical checksums will sound different from each other, because the checksum programs only look at the data, not the actual recorded waveform/magnetic information (because it's all analog once you dig deep enough) on the physical media :psyduck:

My brain hurts now.

There was someone who was 100% serious about this a while back until people figured out the checksums were off because the file names were different.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The idea that the audio file effects how strong a charge is written to the hard drive ignores the fact that your computer is doing so much work at any time at a rate so much faster than audio any noise generated will be totally random. I had a problem once where I could hear in my headphones when I moved the mouse, it came through as noise I could hear when there was silence in the music. This whole idea is just nuts that you could hear a difference from one audio file to another of the same song if they are bit for bit the same. If you could measure the noise coming out of a computer at the level where the charge of the bit in storage is effecting you congrats, you've just created the most noise free computer ever.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

qirex posted:

There was someone who was 100% serious about this a while back until people figured out the checksums were off because the file names were different.

... what? Checksum is not affected by file name.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GokieKS posted:

This is truth. If the checksum is off, then the contents are not bit by bit identical. Filenames are irrelevant.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GokieKS posted:

Maybe he was zipping them then comparing? It was on the squeezebox forums IIRC.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Maybe he was zipping them then comparing? It was on the squeezebox forums IIRC.

This is the most likely answer. I know that gzip stores metadata in the header of the compressed file so identical files with different file-names will have different checksums when gzipped.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I may not know how to checksum a file, but I can sure tell you the ins and outs of hard drive storage technology and its effects on file integrity and DAC.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

qirex posted:

It's official, vinyl is too mainstream http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9409563/reel-to-reel-tape-retro-audio-trend

quote:

"When I was listening to Led Zeppelin III last night, I could hear the pedal squeak every time John Bonnam hit the bass drum."
Are there recordings in which you can't hear it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GWBBQ posted:

Are there recordings in which you can't hear it?

80 kilobit per second Xing MP3 encodes from Napster around 1999?