Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Iron Tusk posted:

Ninety-one-million-dollars.

that stretch goal means they're gonna retcon in gilbert gotfried as the player's wingmate and best friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Aren't pyramid/Ponzi schemes supposed to be illegal if you can quantify and prove it? I mean, they just said onstage that they're going to do a multilevel marketing thing, surely THAT has to be grounds for some kind of investigation!

It's not substantively different from the referral model literally every other mmo uses.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

Aren't pyramid/Ponzi schemes supposed to be illegal if you can quantify and prove it? I mean, they just said onstage that they're going to do a multilevel marketing thing, surely THAT has to be grounds for some kind of investigation!

He literally started describing a ponzi scheme at one point.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Reading the comments on the articles and reddit are just...insane.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-features-gary-oldman-gillian-anderson-mark-hamill/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3o97bw/star_citizen_features_gary_oldman_gillian/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3o9a48/star_citizen_alpha_20_press_demo/

I thought there would be at least some people going "whoa, hey, this isn't what we were promised". But it's all insanity, all the way down.

I do love the smugness of HAHA WE SURE SHOWED DR SMART though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Iron Tusk posted:

It's not substantively different from the referral model literally every other mmo uses.

Those other MMOs are functioning games, for one.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

:prepop:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
We're backers, we're not idiots!

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i can't wait to hear more about this near-resignation. wonder if they decided last second to wait until after the con and do it quietly.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

Except in the substance that in those games your friends get an actual product which they can play and hopefully enjoy. Here you get a jpg, which in itself can be a nice thing, but not as good as the product you thought you were paying for.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Iridium posted:

that stretch goal means they're gonna retcon in gilbert gotfried as the player's wingmate and best friend
This would be a good thing for sure.

10 hours of Gilbert.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

quote:

A surreal experience at citizen con self.starcitizen
Submitted 4 hours ago by Dreamxtreme
So i just went to the bathroom. Goto turn on the taps and can't figure it out and say to myself. "How the heck do these taps work" look to my right. It's Chris Roberts explaining to me how I to turn on the sensor tap. I feel so dumb now.

Normally you have to buy the "drain the weasel" package for $5,000 for that luxury.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Someone should probably let them know they're getting a bloated fps with some space combat instead of the other way around.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Noxville posted:

It's real bad, the shot selection is appalling. They should've hired a real director.

shame on me but i really was expecting a decent cutscene somewhere in all this

star citizen really raises the bar on lowering the bar

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
The fact the CIG are putting their military ships on sales says a lot about their financial situation. Those have always been their most popular ones.

Especially the Idris, which isn't even being sold in limited quantities like it was all the previous times it was available.

They NEED money right now. If this sale goes badly (which it probably won't), they're done. They may be done anyway. There's only so much you can milk your cult for, probably why they also added a referral program at the same time. They need to expand their pyramid scheme.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Pretty sure Half Life 2 had better facial animations 10 years ago than that cutscene.
Then again I guess Valve aren't a bunch of incompetent hacks.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Romes128 posted:

Someone should probably let them know they're getting a bloated fps with some space combat instead of the other way around.

yeah come on, if i wanted to play Space-Arma I'd have backed for a sniper or something.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iridium posted:

yeah come on, if i wanted to play Space-Arma I'd have backed for a sniper or something.

Just wait until they start putting fps guns for sale.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Aesaar posted:

The fact the CIG are putting their military ships on sales says a lot about their financial situation. Those have always been their most popular ones.

Especially the Idris, which isn't even being sold in limited quantities like it was all the previous times it was available.

They NEED money right now. If this sale goes badly (which it probably won't), they're done. They may be done anyway.

Weren't a lot of the military ships sold before as being "this is the only time we are selling them! Once they are gone, they are gone!"?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Timespy posted:

Pretty sure Half Life 2 had better facial animations 10 years ago than that cutscene.
Then again I guess Valve aren't a bunch of incompetent hacks.

It's really amazing what a strong sense of art direction, a focus on style and competent people can do. I'll take older tech with people who know what they do any day over hacks with millions of dollar of completely wasted technology.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

New sales, new pre-order items, begging existing customers to 'recruit' more customers.

These are not the signs of a company confident it has the capital to get product to market.

e: \/\/ I imagine Serkis takes every motion-capture thing he sees because he has a genuine fascination with the medium as a niche in acting and doing it helps him understand it. He's done for motion-capture what Industrial Light and Magic did for special effects.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 10, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tarranon posted:

holy poo poo who called Andy Serkis

give yourself a big pat on the back

Even I didn't think they'd be that wannabe

He owns the Imaginarium. Of course he's going to be in this poo poo, if it's true that C-Rob contracted them.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

This makes me a little sad but if it gets GilLian enough dosh to play along with David Duchovy's midlife crisis, I mean, X-Files reboot, then I'm okay.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Before the Squadron 42 Bishop Senate Speech: "I am requesting a refund and I hope I get it soon."

After the Squadron 42 Bishop Senate Speech: "I want my refund now!"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Agent Mulder will be in S42 Episode II.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'll admit that I have an interest in the state of Scully's muff

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
gently caress tha Sandi
Comin straight from the underground
A young nigga got it bad cuz he brown.
And not the other color so Sandi think
They have the authority to kill a minority.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Truly nothing says "our financials are fine, we're totally not out of money" like selling $1000+ autism traps.

How the gently caress are the cultists not appreciating that there was no gameplay for the videogame they paid for.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart unblock me you sonovabitch, I wanna see the livetweeting goddammit. @CSPshala

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Erenthal posted:

One of the most annoying things when you voice your slight apprehension as to the ships being sold and the prices attached thereto, is that "It's not DLC! It's an investement, and you just happen to get an in-game ship as thanks for your investement."

Now, explain to me how buying a ship in-game for money and getting a ship is DLC, while giving Croberts money to "invest" in the game and getting a ship is in any way different.

The difference is that in the first part...there is a game.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Generation Internet posted:

Truly nothing says "our financials are fine, we're totally not out of money" like selling $1000+ autism traps.

How the gently caress are the cultists not appreciating that there was no gameplay for the videogame they paid for.

My favorite video games to play had cutscenes. This game has The Most Cutscenes. Therefore this is the best video game to play.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Turmoil posted:

Before the Squadron 42 Bishop Senate Speech: "I am requesting a refund and I hope I get it soon."

After the Squadron 42 Bishop Senate Speech: "I want my refund now!"

hah yeah just sent that email too.

quote:

Hello.

Following the reveals at CitizenCon 2015 I would like to reiterate, and expedite, my request for a refund.

Thank you.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Today was definitely the day to ditch the "well the PU is probably hosed but at least they might be able to deliver a decent wing commander single player game"

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

The difference is that in the first part...there is a game.

Yeah, I really should have caught that myself. DLC implies "Content", doesn't it?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Shala posted:

D_Smart unblock me you sonovabitch, I wanna see the livetweeting goddammit. @CSPshala

He's going nuts like someone poo poo in his Cheerios.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Furious Mittens posted:

Weren't a lot of the military ships sold before as being "this is the only time we are selling them! Once they are gone, they are gone!"?

Well, originally that was the stance on all "limited" ships, but of course that went by the wayside fairly quickly.

The ones they've put up now haven't been number-limited in the past though (aside from the Idris, though it has been made available in various $5000+ packs). They were "limited" in the normal sense though, yeah.

At this point anyone who actually believes CIG when they say anything is "limited" is badly deluded.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Honestly I want to see someone put Joe Kucan and Andy Serkis in a room together and just tell them "We're going to make a video game. We don't know what it'll be about yet, we want you to put together an hour or two of cool stuff and then we'll watch it and then sort something out".

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Today was definitely the day to ditch the "well the PU is probably hosed but at least they might be able to deliver a decent wing commander single player game"

No kidding. Did they even discuss their broken dogfight arena game at all today? I mean, that was the very original idea right, shooting people in spaceships.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Skoll posted:

He's going nuts like someone poo poo in his Cheerios.

I NEED TO BE PART OF THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Ravane posted:

gently caress tha Sandi
Comin straight from the underground
A young nigga got it bad cuz he brown.
And not the other color so Sandi think
They have the authority to kill a minority.

Truly a muse of our generation.

• Locked thread