Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

You would give it 1.5-2 hours for the second rise? I would have topped out at an hour max, especially at 75F but really ever. My second rise is pretty much always much shorter than my first.

Maybe. I don't do rolls. Do they need less? With loaves I find I under rather than over proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

therattle posted:

See the OP. 500g flour, 1/4 tsp yeast, 1tsp salt, approximately 325ml water. Mix, cover with oiled film. Wait 12+ hours. Knock back and shape. Proof. Bake.

You mentioned that you add a little bit of sourdough to this.
How much exactly do you add?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

therattle posted:

Maybe. I don't do rolls. Do they need less? With loaves I find I under rather than over proof.

No, that's what I do with loaves too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

You mentioned that you add a little bit of sourdough to this.
How much exactly do you add?

Only if I am making a sourdough loaf in which case it's about 100g of starter instead of the yeast.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I just picked up Advanced Bread and Pastry by Michel Suas and I'm really enjoying reading it. It's a theory and science book first and a recipe book second (The recipes don't start until 200 pages in). It's full of exciting graphs and it's insanely technical but doesn't really have much barrier to entry because it's explaining all its terms and methodology as it goes. It's over 1000 pages long and reads very much like a university level textbook. I'd recommend it to anyone who really wants to get into the gritty science of bread baking. I'm enjoying it because I find I can experiment with more confidence and more direction.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 16, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I just picked up Advanced Bread and Pastry by Michel Suas and I'm really enjoying reading it. It's a theory and science book first and a recipe book second (The recipes don't start until 200 pages in). It's full of exciting graphs and it's insanely technical but doesn't really have much barrier to entry because it's explaining all its terms and methodology as it goes. It's over 100 pages long and reads very much like a university level textbook. I'd recommend it to anyone who really wants to get into the gritty science of bread baking. I'm enjoying it because I find I can experiment with more confidence and more direction.

Any suggestions that aren't $100? Not being snarky, just was genuinely disappointed that I can't afford it. :(

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MrYenko posted:

Any suggestions that aren't $100? Not being snarky, just was genuinely disappointed that I can't afford it. :(

These are less scientific than the above suggestion sounds, but both Reinhart and Beranbaum are outstanding bakers, and they explain everything in the books. I recommend both of these (Reinhart for a beginner, Beranbaum for intermediate, trade publications for an expert):

Bread Bible - Beranbaum
Bread Baker's Apprentice - Reinhart

e: for an example of what I mean by trade publications:

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 17, 2015

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Cornbread counts as bread, right? I grew up with sweet cornbread, but since moving to the South I have embraced unsweetened corn bread, and I really like it.

I made some cast iron skillet cornbread yesterday, and it turned out perfect. I took the Pioneer Woman recipe and substituted the 2 Tbsp of shortening with 2 Tbsp of bacon grease. I have always had luck with this recipe.

Doing the unsweetened version means I can add honey from our beehives.

Also, cornbread cleans the cast iron very nicely!

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 17, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So i tried making Armenian matnaqash bread, and while it looked right, the texture was extremely dense like a bagel (likely my yeasts fault) and it tasted like bland lovely white bread.

Does wheat / flour impact the flavor profile that severely? Am I doomed to being unable to recapture the amazing taste of Armenian bread while using north american flour?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Rise it longer. As I remember Armenian bread it's made from quite hard flour, so look into some extra protein-rich stuff as well if you like.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Does anyone here have an English muffin recipe they really like? I'm looking for a fluffy, spongey texture with a soft crust. Last time I made them, the texture was right but the crust was harder than I'd hoped for. I'll experiment to try and fix that, but if there's a goon favorite, I'd like to start with that recipe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any advice for making a really hearty, dense multigrain pan loaf? I've tried to replicate the multigrain bread sold by my local bakery, and despite the people there being nice enough to give me their recipe, it still comes out too airy and springy when I make it at home. It's tasty but not really what I'm going for -- I want dense and chewy on the inside. I think I'll add less water to the dough next time, any other tips?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Any advice for making a really hearty, dense multigrain pan loaf? I've tried to replicate the multigrain bread sold by my local bakery, and despite the people there being nice enough to give me their recipe, it still comes out too airy and springy when I make it at home. It's tasty but not really what I'm going for -- I want dense and chewy on the inside. I think I'll add less water to the dough next time, any other tips?

Add some oil and use very coarse wholemeal. And less water. And knock back thoroughly. Some wholemeal rye will help a lot too as it's very low in gluten (or even has none?)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

therattle posted:

Add some oil and use very coarse wholemeal. And less water. And knock back thoroughly. Some wholemeal rye will help a lot too as it's very low in gluten (or even has none?)

Not none but very low. This is what makes it ideal for keeping sourdough starters on. It's a great source of sugars for the starter and it's easy to mix.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks for the advice! I am using coarse wholemeal and the recipe is pretty oily as is, but I think I could be more diligent about knocking it down. I got impatient + hungry and just wanted the bread!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
So I found out that my father had a bread machine in his pantry, bought and barely used. I've been going crazy with it, using the machine to knead the dough, shaping it by hand, and then baking it in the oven using saltillo (unglazed terracotta) tiles as makeshift baking stones. One of these days I'll start diving into the no-knead stuff, but for now I'm pretty happy with where I am at the moment.

I've read that you should only use about a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten for every three cups of non-specialty flour. I've recently made a sort of barley bread, using a 33/33/33 ratio of barley, whole wheat and bread flour, with great results.

Here's my sort of hypothetical question: If I were crazy enough to make a 100% barley bread recipe - probably by hand or in a mixer, since barley flour would be a tough son of a bitch for a machine to knead - how much extra gluten would be required to make a decently-risen loaf? I'm guessing a lot, but a ballpark estimate would be fun to have.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 19, 2015

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
This is entirely unscientific, but when I did glutensperimentation I found that when I washed the gluten out of the dough I had around 10-15 by weight (well - it was a comparison of wet weights I just realise, so my results are just numbers that anybody can pull out their rear end, because I do not know how much hydration it retained). Barley contains hodein I believe, which basically is a gluten variant, and which should help you a little bit, however there's not much of it there.

I would disregard the hodein, and then just add gluten until you're well above what you have for wheat, as barley is more dense.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I kind of want to attempt a salt-rising loaf, that insane Appalachian thing which uses what's basically a cheese fermentation process, but it looks really complicated. Anyone got any wisdom?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I kind of want to attempt a salt-rising loaf, that insane Appalachian thing which uses what's basically a cheese fermentation process, but it looks really complicated. Anyone got any wisdom?

This looks like a straightforward enough writeup, and given that it's hosted on KAF, it'll probably definitely work. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2013/11/07/classic-american-salt-rising-bread/

Doesn't seem too complicated, just time consuming. It's basically a wild yeast bread, which I've done before.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
There's a local fancy shmancy mill near me that we went to the other weekend. We bought all purpose flour and saw they had malted barley flour as well, so we bought some of that too. Both times we've tried incorporating the malted flour into bread recipes, we've ended up with very hard, dark crusts and gooey insides. On the other hand, we've made some tasty home brew Ovaltine. But any advice for working with malted flour?

One recipe was out of Mrs. Beeton's ancient cookbook and called for a 1:1 ratio of malted flour to regular flour. The other was an improvised bread and used a 1:6 ratio.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

unlimited shrimp posted:

There's a local fancy shmancy mill near me that we went to the other weekend. We bought all purpose flour and saw they had malted barley flour as well, so we bought some of that too. Both times we've tried incorporating the malted flour into bread recipes, we've ended up with very hard, dark crusts and gooey insides. On the other hand, we've made some tasty home brew Ovaltine. But any advice for working with malted flour?

One recipe was out of Mrs. Beeton's ancient cookbook and called for a 1:1 ratio of malted flour to regular flour. The other was an improvised bread and used a 1:6 ratio.

I don't have any specific malted barley/flour advice but if your outside is hard and inside gooey try a lower bake temp?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Looking for a recipe for a spicy sriracha bread. Anyone have one that they have tried out and vetted?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

shankerz posted:

Looking for a recipe for a spicy sriracha bread. Anyone have one that they have tried out and vetted?

I've been doing a lot of spiced breads lately, and you definitely shouldn't underestimate the amount of spices that are needed to imbue the bread with their flavour throughout if you mix them in the dough that is.

I would probably, for a single loaf, add 2-3 tbsp sriracha, and then expect a mild flavouring.

The kinds of flavouring I've been using has mainly been either french/italian in nature (rosemary etc) or spicy (cayenne, smoked chili etc) - and it actually seems like the spicy/hot flavouring is the one that tapers off the most.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Happy Hat posted:

I've been doing a lot of spiced breads lately, and you definitely shouldn't underestimate the amount of spices that are needed to imbue the bread with their flavour throughout if you mix them in the dough that is.

I would probably, for a single loaf, add 2-3 tbsp sriracha, and then expect a mild flavouring.

The kinds of flavouring I've been using has mainly been either french/italian in nature (rosemary etc) or spicy (cayenne, smoked chili etc) - and it actually seems like the spicy/hot flavouring is the one that tapers off the most.

Would make sense since I believe the spice is an acid and the ingredients in bread act as a base to counter act. Good advice tho.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've recently begun baking bread. After a handful of experiments gone more or less awry, I nailed it yesterday:

400g Manitoba ("Sifted"? Whatever the opposite of whole grain is.)
400g Öland Wheat (organic and whole grain.)
7g yeast
700-ish mL cold water
20g salt

Mix water and yeast until dissolved.
Add flours and salt.
Knead with hand mixer for 15 minutes (Don't have a stand mixer. Yet.)
Pre-rise for an hour or so.
Leave covered in fridge for ~24 hours.
Divide in two as gently as possible.
Rise for 1-2 hours while oven heats to 250°C with bigass slab of 30mm marble countertop inside.
Bake each bread separately for 25 minutes. Let oven regain some heat in between, 5-10 minutes.

I'm going to tweak the recipe slightly - replacing 100 mL of water with yoghurt as a lazy man's sourdough and knead it for 25 minutes I think, and see where that takes me.

Munched one bread in a day and gave the other to my neighbors. Cheapest points ever, they loved it!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

bolind posted:

I've recently begun baking bread. After a handful of experiments gone more or less awry, I nailed it yesterday:

7g yeast
700-ish mL cold water
20g salt

Add flours and salt.
Rise for 1-2 hours while oven heats to 250°C with bigass slab of 30mm marble countertop inside.
Bake each bread separately for 25 minutes. Let oven regain some heat in between, 5-10 minutes.

I'm going to tweak the recipe slightly - replacing 100 mL of water with yoghurt as a lazy man's sourdough and knead it for 25 minutes I think, and see where that takes me.

Munched one bread in a day and gave the other to my neighbors. Cheapest points ever, they loved it!

Looks great, cool choice of flours, too. If you go the yogurt route, make sure it's unpasteurized, otherwise you're not actually accomplishing anything.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Looks great, cool choice of flours, too. If you go the yogurt route, make sure it's unpasteurized, otherwise you're not actually accomplishing anything.

Hmmm, interesting. I *think* the yoghurt we get around here is made from pasteurized milk,which is then yoghurtified with the correct strain, so for our purpose it should be OK, but I'll check the label when I get home.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

7g yeast
700-ish mL cold water
20g salt

Add flours and salt.

Looks great. You used a very high hydration. If the dough was very sticky and hard to work with you could try less, like 500-560g water to 800g flour.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

bolind posted:

Hmmm, interesting. I *think* the yoghurt we get around here is made from pasteurized milk,which is then yoghurtified with the correct strain, so for our purpose it should be OK, but I'll check the label when I get home.

Yeah, whether or not the milk is pasteurized is a non issue, just make sure the yogurt is alive and well.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

therattle posted:

Looks great. You used a very high hydration. If the dough was very sticky and hard to work with you could try less, like 500-560g water to 800g flour.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. The flour in question can sustain super high hydration though. I have been told that pure Öland can be done with 100% hydration. Have to try that one day when I have some.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Yeah, whether or not the milk is pasteurized is a non issue, just make sure the yogurt is alive and well.

I'm pretty sure it is, as the container claims it'll do your entire digestive system a whole lot of wholesome good. Also it only has a shelf life of a few weeks.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Has anyone ever made bread with fresh, liquid whey? My partner is making mozzarella and we're going to have a bunch of whey leftover. He used citric acid and rennet, which I think makes the whey acid vs. sweet? Does it change the texture or taste of the bread if you use it? Is it a 1:1 ratio with water?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Shnooks posted:

Has anyone ever made bread with fresh, liquid whey? My partner is making mozzarella and we're going to have a bunch of whey leftover. He used citric acid and rennet, which I think makes the whey acid vs. sweet? Does it change the texture or taste of the bread if you use it? Is it a 1:1 ratio with water?

Yes, I've made paneer and saved the whey for bread. I just used it instead of water. No massive change in texture but it added something to the flavour (in a good whey). My whey was made with lemon juice. It didn't have a very strong flavour.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've made crusty rolls by just making bread and then dividing it into smaller pieces and baking it for less time. How do I make softer dinner rolls? Bake lower and longer? Add fat?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

guppy posted:

I've made crusty rolls by just making bread and then dividing it into smaller pieces and baking it for less time. How do I make softer dinner rolls? Bake lower and longer? Add fat?

Steam your oven, use durum in your flour.. fat won't really help you I think.

Well - unless you are awesome and make brioche rolls...

Totally make brioche rolls

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

Lower and longer will help.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

guppy posted:

Milk. In and on. A little butter in the dough. Proof over hot water. Cover once baked.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

guppy posted:

Adding fat and sugar to the dough will help soften it. Pain au Lait makes great rolls, and isn't as rich or expensive as a brioche dough. To soften the crust even more, brush the rolls with butter and sprinkle coarse salt over them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks! I will make a bunch of rolls and see what these ideas get me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hello BreadThread, why does my bread create these cavities right under the crust, and hardly anywhere else?

Baked at 250°C for 25 minutes. It was a rather hydrated dough (80%+) and I just plopped it out on a sheet of parchment paper, so it was rather flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

bolind posted:

Hello BreadThread, why does my bread create these cavities right under the crust, and hardly anywhere else?

Baked at 250°C for 25 minutes. It was a rather hydrated dough (80%+) and I just plopped it out on a sheet of parchment paper, so it was rather flat.

Your heating way faster than your bottom, that's usually the case with these. Go to your local countertop place and steal a slab of granite, bake directly on that.